Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Cross posting from the end of the last thread:

So I assume the Chinese "waterproof and shatterproof" rumors are false since nothing was mentioned in the keynote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Suqit posted:

They have forced me to break my steadfast rule of having nothing post 1990 by U2 on my phone temporarily. And for this, they must be admonished.

Minor derail, but have you listened to it? It's no masterpiece but it's very good, IMO.

(Also not having Achtung Baby on your phone is fightin words, sir)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

xilni posted:

FAKE EDIT: it's finally out

I'm not getting it in search results. Boo

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

sleepness posted:

Is there a consensus on the better general swiping keyboard? I've been excited for this for a long time but now I feel over-inundated with options!

I'm using SwiftKey and can attest to it's awesomeness. In fact this post was made using it, hopefully there are minor errors.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Any word on whether third-party keyboards will soon support voice dictation? I know SwiftKey doesn't.

That's a big downside for me, as I really wanted to exclusively use SwiftKey. I have gotten very accustomed to the swiping.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Wow. That was the easiest time I've ever had doing this.

Silver 6s+ 64GB ordered (upgrading from 5s 16GB)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I just ordered a 6s+ and I'm looking around now for either a case with a "kickstand" or a dock/holder that will allow me to view in landscape mode, since I plan on doing some media watching (netflix and junk) while it's on a desk/table

Any recommendations?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nah, just personal preference. I used to have loads of folders, but then felt like swiping through a bunch of home screens is much the same as tapping through a bunch of folders, so I might as well have easier visibility of the apps.

I have everything in one folder called "apps" and use spotlight search/recent apps to get to everything

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

This is funny if true.

Quite true.

It's way easier (for me, YMMV) to swipe down and type (for example) "du" and tap my Dunkin Donuts app than to swipe through pages of apps/pages in a folder.

:shrug:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I gave a huge poo poo about the new keyboards last year or whenever it was and then realized the stock one owns and deleted them all.

Same. I really tried to use SwiftKey for like a month

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

fordan posted:

Regarding closing apps, there's one I'll often do it to when done using it: Waze. It doesn't know when to let go in the background. I'll use it on the drive to the train station, get on the train,mans 10 minutes later announce to those nearby on the train with me "POLICE REPORTED AHEAD."

Michael Scott posted:

Hahahah the exact same thing happened to me on the train, yep. "POTHOLE REPORTED AHEAD." And it's super loud and clear, too, like it's coming from the train itself.

Haha! Sup "Waze alerting fellow passengers on the train" bros :cheers:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for the heads up on the cases. Picked up a light brown one for the Plus version for $6 because why the hell not it's only $6.

I'll hopefully keep my most used cards (bank/metro/rail pass) in there and eschew having to open my wallet 90% of the time

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
You might want to take a quick look at this, perhaps. Not sure how viable it is in 2015

http://www.howtogeek.com/112852/how-to-backup-your-text-messages-to-your-gmail-account/

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Phone is ON THE MOVE!!!!!! More updates every hour on the hour.

Hopefully yours doesn't have to loop around like the Pope's plane.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

One thing that sucks about the blazing fast Touch ID is that it essentially makes the lockscreen nonexistent at all times. How do you expect me to change music while I'm swerving through lanes, Jonathan

That's what Siri is for, plebe :eng101:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

CHVRCHES works now too.

How do you pronounce it?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Feenix posted:

Just to clarify if folks have trouble with it... The above was not working for me... What does is press, then press harder to make your keyboard a cursor pad. Then *lighten* your press but do not lift your finger off the screen. Then press harder again to highlight.

Thanks for this. I couldn't get it working before.

Holy poo poo THIS is how you edit text on a phone. It's incredibly natural.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
What's the verdict on 1080 60fps vs 4k 30fps as the "default" video mode?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Seconding this but if you want a cheaper option :

http://amzn.to/1L2zYVm

I have it and really like it.

I got the Spigen Slim Armor for my 6s+ simply because it had a built in kickstand feature that is really awesome for having the phone on my desk as a mini notification center/whatnot.

I also got the verus wallet case when it was $6 with that promo code upthread.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

I wish department store cards were supported. Would be convenient to have Macy's/Gap and the like on Apple so I don't have to carry around those cards.

100x this. Once I can go into Target and the like and use their cards with Apple Pay I will be down to my phone and Metro Pass.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe people just like having a white front on their phones.

This is why I got the silver. I like the white face way more than the black.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I spotlight search for everything.

Though I'm rethinking than now once more apps get context menus with 3D Touch

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I don't understand having 18 million icons on your screen when folders are much more organized.

I agree with you for now, but with 3D Touch it might make more sense to have apps for the quick action menus

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So as I said upthread, I planned on getting rid of my folders when more apps started using 3D Touch.

Facebook just started, so I made the switch. So far I hate having my screen cluttered with apps but it has made getting my most used apps slightly easier so I'll give it a month or so.

Also, coming from a 5, having Apple Pay is the most amazing thing ever, especially since my local grocery store takes it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

I can only get this to work occasionally. I feel like there has to be a weird trick to trigger it reliably.

I feel like you have to wait for the cursor to start blinking, whether you were just typing or moved it. If the cursor is still solid, the 3D Touch won't register and you'll just end up typing another letter.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

fourwood posted:

I broke down and installed the 9.3 public beta yesterday, and I :love: Night Shift already.

Came here to post this. Holy hell it's awesome. Sunset to sunrise :love:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MrBond posted:

Nearly every credit card in the USA is chip and signature. Barclays is the only major one that has chip and pin options AFAICT.

I have a Bank of America credit card that is Chip+PIN

Though it's a corporate card, so that might be different

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
While we're talking about headphones, has anyone tried this out?

https://thebtunes.com/products/the-btunes?variant=1952685569

I have Sennheiser's Momentum on ear model and definitely am a use case of "charging while I listen" at times, so I'd ideally like to keep the lightning port for that but not replace these headphones, which are awesome.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The Dave posted:

The iOS10 notifications are awful. Visually gross and I can't mark emails as read from the swipe menu.

It's via 3D Touch now

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
While we're (nominally) on the Bluetooth discussion, I'm thinking of picking this up - though the price is making me balk just a little bit.

https://thebtunes.com/

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is this real? I only ask that because the video is awful and makes me think they are mocking some other product.

Pure wireless sound

100% real:

https://www.amazon.com/BTunes-VXB-25-Headphones-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica/dp/B014HX2T04

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Is it possible to have iMessage notifications that only show the actual content when you unlock the phone with touchid? This seems like it should be obvious behaviour.

Notifications -> Messages -> show previews (or something like that)

disable it and you'll just get notified that you have a new message.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

oh, hey, look who's in luck, two years later

Well I sure have old rear end egg on my face now :D

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

When you take a screenshot in 11, there’s a crop/annotate tool that shows up for a few seconds which saves me a lot of time. Though the highlight isn’t as good as Annotable, so for my use that app didn’t get completely Sherlocked.

This is life changing for me. I take a LOT of screenshots of things to send out to people in mail/messages and now that I can do it without having to actually save the photo to my camera roll is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

enojy posted:

I'm pretty sure you can substitute all of this with Siri: "Hey Siri, I like/dislike this (song?)"

Huh, just tried this.

The downside is the music pause, but it’s pretty neat