Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Erinyes posted:

For the Apple Recycling program - is this something that you can do in-store? And is this something that you could possibly do as you're going to pick up a new phone so that you can apply the gift card to said purchase?

I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to just recycle my Verizon iPhone 5 in great condition and just quickly recoup the cost of the iPhone 6, or if I should hold off and try to make a buck off it.

That's the idea behind the program, that you're getting a gift card that you immediately use for a new phone. If you order for in-store pickup, you get the gift card after the fact, to hold onto for later or to use for AppleCare or whatever. The online recycling programs are different from the in-store iPhone/iPad one.

You literally cannot go into the store and recycle your phone without buying or picking up a new one. I saw a few people say that they were planning this, so, welp, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Debonhare posted:

Is there a recommended replacement screen brand? Wife broke both the screen and home button on her 5 so preferably one that comes with both.

Go to your local mall and pay the dude in the kiosk to do it. Don't be alarmed by the how-to videos, hair dryer, and meatball sub on the desk next to your wife's iPhone.

noirstronaut posted:

Alright, guys, I need some suggestions.

I use a Mac, have an iPhone. I do schoolwork on my computer, sometimes in Keynote, Pages, on iCloud etc. However, if I want to access these files on a computer that is not my own, I have to load up something (email, iCloud itself) or put it on a flash drive from my computer and then plug into the other one.

My goal is to make this simpler. I had an idea of somehow finding a file upload service without a randomizer so I could type in shorturl.co/filename.zip and download directly from the computer without much hassle. Of course the file uploader would rely on me having easy and quick access to uploading files etc etc.

Anyway, is there anyway to do this using a phone or Mac or a combination of them both?

What don't you like about the iCloud website? I've never had trouble accessing or editing documents from there.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

Looks like the out of warranty cost for repairs is $269 according to this.

Apple Stores usually can do a new display for you for $129 but you need to agree to the potential $269 in case the display replacement fails testing.

Just have Apple do it. You don't want to gently caress with something like your display.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If it's a single crack with no webbing and no point of impact they'll typically cover it.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

Yeah I do have that setting turned off.

What happens is that I get a login page for (what I assume is) some residential or business wifi network. It completely covers up the apple maps app. I can't fiddle with it because I'm driving.

I don't have a lot of experience with iPhone turn-by-turn navigation but im almost certain this isn't supposed to happen.

If you've ever connected to some bullshit like "xfinity wifi" where there are a bunch of captive networks all over the place with the same name, your phone is trying to connect you to these. Next time it happens when you're not driving, forget the network. Unless your home network is one of these, in which case you really should change the name of your network and put a password on it.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tesilential posted:

my iPhone 6 is on 8.1 and getting a bit buggy. the message app froze in landscape mode but the keyboard would flip between portrait and landscape quickly.

Update your software.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah man good point, your new phone is gonna suck after you update to 8.3. Might as well live with it until you're due for an upgrade, but at that point the iPhone 8 will be less than a year away and at that point you might as well wait until the 8S so they work all the bugs out.

Software updates exist to make your phone better. A phone will usually handle several major updates until it starts to suffer, and by then it's essentially no longer state-of-the-art hardware and you need to decide whether you want to pay for the new fast thing or hang onto the old one until it gives out.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Alternately, if someone you know has an old Verizon iPhone 5 or some other Android phone that takes a NanoSIM, then borrow it to set up your line of service, and then put the SIM in your unlocked iPhone 6.

That said in addition to the issue of visual voicemail not working, having an "unrecognized" device also causes you to not be able to change minutes/data buckets/etc on the entire family plan. You can add/change features but you can't change the core parts of the plan.

Some people in this VZW thread seem to be pretty confident that it works, visual voicemail and all. The unlocked 6 is apparently on Verizon's whitelist.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've been having space issues on my iPhone. I have less than half a gig of apps and files and the like, but I'm running out of space even though my iPod has over 12 gigs of space. Where the hell is all this phantom data coming from, and how do I deal with it? I get that stuff like iOS takes up space, but I have considerably less space now than when I first got it.

What happens when you check your storage in settings? You want to go to settings > general > usage > manage storage. It should give you a breakdown there.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

If I go to a Best Buy, will they sell me a Verizon iPhone at full price if I do not have Verizon service? If so, can I just pop my T-Mobile SIM card in and be good to go?

Buy a T-Mobile phone from Apple. Same model this time and if you don't have an Apple Store they'll just mail it to you. I might be wrong but I think Best Buy won't sell phones without activating them.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

People here have just been posting similar things, by FYI if you got a 6+ between launch and December 2014, Apple may replace it due to faulty camera:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/08/apple-launches-replacement-program-for-faulty-iphone-6-plus-cameras/

Apple is repairing the cameras on these phones only. They're not replacing the phones.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Since when has Apple ever only repaired parts in phones except for the screen? They're going to hand you a refurb'd unit.

I wish there were example photos of what this issue looks like. Are we talking like vaseline blurry or just not as sharp as it could be?

For a few years now. Even the 5C can have a modular camera repair done.

It looks like vaseline blurry. If you're nearsighted at all it's like the camera needs glasses.

~Coxy posted:

That said, if the replacement screen is literally popping out from the rest of the phone and shows no signs of being dropped they might make an exception?

Could be a swollen battery.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

empty baggie posted:

drat, I can't believe I didn't think about that when I first saw that post. Yeah, it probably is a swollen battery.

Of course it's the battery, it's an iPhone 5! :boom:

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would add the new line at time of purchase (you can buy it basically however you like) and port her phone number over then. That'll activate the new phone's SIM card on her number immediately and all you'll need to do is swap SIMs out. Back your 6 up ahead of time so you can erase it and give it to her to set up as soon as her number is on it.

Make sure she has no outstanding bills on her Verizon account and brings the Verizon account number with her when you go to buy the new phone so the number porting goes smoothly.

banana allergy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 11, 2015

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So it'd just be like me buying a new phone and adding a new line to my account? Is there an option to port a number over after selecting a new line? Or do I have to call ATT to get that done after I get the phone?

That's exactly what you're doing. You might be able to port the number later by calling AT&T but in my opinion it's probably easier to do it immediately, unless you're trying to surprise her with the phone. If you plan on calling later pick up a spare AT&T SIM because you'll have to activate a new one when you call to port the number.

If you're doing it online to get delivered or if she can come with you to buy it just do all of it at once. You'll get the new line, new phone, and an active SIM with her number all at once. Erase phones, switch SIMs, restore data, boom.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nah she knows about the phone. Can I do this right in the Apple Store app? Do I just buy the phone with all her info, then call to add her to my plan? When we stick in her info and phone number, then select ATT, I am assuming it will ask me if I'm porting a number? Won't it ask what plan we want?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've never ported a number on iPhone night before or added another line to my account before.

Are you looking to buy it day one? That might complicate it. You can add a line through Apple's website I think but you can't do a Next plan I think, if you're doing that. You want to put in your own account credentials and choose to add a line. No idea about the app or how any of this will work with in-store reservations or pickup or the new Apple Store plan thing.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chaucer posted:

Yup, I brought it in to the Genius Bar. It's a damaged pin inside the port. Sucks, but I can get a 5s replacement for $269 until the 6s comes out. Then I give my dad the nearly-new 5s. I just want to make sure I can still unlock in November.

Yes you can.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Did anyone reserve an iPhone 6 for pick up at a specific time last year?

No one did. The time thing is new.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

2 year contract wasn't an option online. I don't want to shoot my self in the foot.

It won't be an option for you at the Apple Store either.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Terrible question, incoming. For those of you educated on the practices of the Apple Store, I have an overly-loved 4s that I should probably consider trading in before the 4s support is dropped and they no longer accept it. Am I too late, or is that still a possibility? Does it have an average value or is it up to some sort of inspection, and what models are options when trading up?

They do it for store credit when you're buying a new phone. They will inspect it and you'll get hardly anything for it. I got about $175 for my 4S two years ago. They'll probably offer you 50 bucks or less.

banana allergy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 24, 2015

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

Do they have an AT&T liason they can work this out with?

No. The only place who can offer you a subsidized phone on two-year contract is an AT&T corporate store, and that is only if your plan still qualifies for it. Are you even sure that's still the cheapest option for you?

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

So I restored from an encrypted backup, and some apps just disappeared (maybe the ones from family purchases) and I have a bunch of apps that refuse to download.

I've signed out/in iTunes a couple of times and rebooted a few times. Nothing working yet. I really hope apple fixes this before I get another phone.

Hey this is happening to me too. Got a 6S last week and picked up a different color today. Glad I decided to return the other one tomorrow because backup and restore is not working smoothly for me. I updated the second phone before restoring, anticipating a prompt for 9.0.1, and then had to update both phones. The first time I tried to restore I was missing some apps, the second time I couldn't pair my watch, and then when I went back to the home screen all my apps were missing again.

Now I'm trying to restore from iCloud and it's not budging. Hopefully updating the first 6S to 9.0.2 didn't corrupt my backups. Good thing I haven't erased the first phone yet.

:confused:

Edit: Okay iCloud seems to be working and I even paired my watch but none of my loving health data restored even though iCloud is supposed to back this up for me. I also just had an app disappear from the home screen. gently caress this.

banana allergy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 1, 2015

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

oversteer posted:

Was your backup encrypted? Won't restore health data without it.

iCloud backups are encrypted enough that they contain health data.

A DFU and third attempt to restore from encrypted iTunes finally worked without any missing data or weird issues like the watch thing. I think between iCloud and iTunes I tried five times to complete what is usually a pretty simple process.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

Since I updated I have had a weird bug. I disabled data on some apps such as Twitter but I'm trying to renable and its just not sticking. For Twitter, I'm even getting notifications but I can't respond.

Did you update to 9.0.2? It's supposed to fix that issue.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

iPad specific question in this case but a general question, in general...

I just restored my iPad Pro from a backup of my iPad Air. It keeps prompting me for some Widow@widow.com iTunes account.
Never heard of that... Wondering if it's something from my carefree jailbreak days... Or how to get rid of it is all I care about, ideally without a restore/ set up as new...any ideas?

You can just skip that step and dismiss it if it asks again. If your iTunes library has any :filez: and you've synced any of it to your iPad that's where that usually comes from.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

It seems like somewhat of a gray area, depending on the problem. Like if you aren't computer-savvy and your four-figure laptop suddenly starts making GBS threads itself out of the blue, that's Pandora's box right there, and can take days/weeks of diagnostics (or who knows, maybe the hard drive is pushing capacity, or the user spilt water on it, etc.)

For me, though, my Apple TV doesn't receive power, period. I tried two power cables, multiple outlets, changing the remote's battery, and restoring via iTunes, and it just receives no power. I told them that I tried all of this, yet got the standard "err on the side of the customer being a dum-dum" treatment. It's a simple case of power supply failure I was expecting an in-and-out replacement out of, but apparently they need to have a "Mac technician" verify this before anything can be done. Maybe they'd rather try and repair it instead of just giving me a refurb, I don't know. It just seems a little excessive when if this were any other sub-$100 product at any other establishment, it'd probably be an exchange that could be fulfilled on my lunch break without an appointment.

Get Apple to mail you one then? They need a technician who's actually certified to document the warranty paperwork.

Guys Apple Stores take walk-ins which is why some of you have like no wait time and why some of you have to wait forever even though there are no appointments. Everyone they see probably gives them an "I'm in a rush" story.

But to really get priority support you need to mention or flash your Saddle Brown Leather Case. Front of the line, sir, take a seat.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

WetSpink posted:

I got a replacement 16gb A1586 from Apple(us) on the 14th. I tried taking it to Verizon to get a No Annual Service Contract SIM despite being dubious about an A1586 being able to work on their network but they seemed to think all was fine. The IMEI and MEID went through their system fine and they activated the SIM but could not make the SIM activate service on the phone. When the phone comes up it says Verizon LTE top left, then switches to saying Verizon, then switches to saying No Service all within a few seconds, then it tries Searching... And goes back to No Service. The sales rep in attempting to get it working spent 1h45m including talking to customer support over the phone, and being escalated to the next level of phone support, and doing an "Erase all settings and data" reset, but had no luck getting it to work. I was told that my case was being referred to their technicians who would remotely access my phone's settings to see if anything was wrong with the settings still, which sounds like technowizardry considering I can't connect to their cellular network. I know the antenna is working because I had another sim in it previously and successfully received a text message with the code needed to attach my iCloud Keychain to the phone when I restored from backup on the 14th when I got it. Is there anything I can do to make this thing work?

Were you on Verizon before? When Apple swaps your phone the activation policy from the old phone moves over to the new one. If your last phone was locked to another network, the new one will be too.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lblitzer posted:

Is it still the case that you have to be on one of the big 4 to get in Apple's Upgrade Program? I'm not going to switch from Cricket anytime soon and the UP would be awesome for me.

This plan isn't the upgrade program but apparently will not require activation when you buy it like the annual upgrade one does. If you're near a store I would swing by and ask because the website is not super clear.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

So I'm confused about this $20 upgrade fee from Verizon. If I have the money, can I just walk into an Apple store, buy a 6S at full price, and put my 5's Sim card in it? Would that work? Would it incur any fee at all? Would this likely work with an iPhone 7?

You can do exactly that and not incur an activation fee. Verizon charges you the fee if you pick their payment plan, and if you get a contract with a subsidized phone the fee is even worse. Remember to call them and ask for the month-to-month discount if your contract is up and you're buying full retail, because they don't discount your bill automatically.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

No, now they are charging this fee with even full price phones. It is bullshit, but it is what it is.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/31/11338424/verizon-new-20-upgrade-fee

Oh Jesus what the gently caress :barf:

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

If you can find an Apple authorized service provider in your area, they will do the repair and preserve your warranty status.

This is not the case for iPhones. Only Apple retail or AppleCare by mail can do warranty service on iPhones. No one else gets authorized.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

clockworx posted:

A friend gave me an iPhone 5S from their junk drawer, and I was hoping someone here might have seen the issues I'm seeing and recommend a possible resolution. I'm hoping to use it as a backup, and also as a trial to see if I would like an SE after having a 6.

• Home button is broken - The old one had a ripped ribbon right at the button itself. I replaced it, which worked but obviously breaks Touch ID. I'm wondering if I can somehow attach the original cable to a replacement home button, if that might allow Touch ID (even if it's a long shot). I know there is a "pairing" between the Touch ID unit and the motherboard, but I would expect that to be between the chips on the cable and not the sensor button itself
  • Screen/touch functionality is funky - touch works perfectly when I first turn on the screen, but eventually stops responding and/or "ghost touching". Turning the screen on/off starts the cycle over again. I would be comfortable replacing the screen assembly since I've already taken it off to check/reseat the cables, but I find it weird that it works initially and then degrades, so I'm not 100% sure the screen is the issue. I have updated to latest OS and reset multiple times, which didn't have any effect.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the whole display is third party, which would explain why the cable was ripped out of the home button and also explain the weird touch issues (a lot of replacement screens are terrible). You can try another at-home repair, which should fix the screen issues, but as far as I know there's no way to get Touch ID working again with third party parts.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

The upgrade program terms seem to imply you can cancel the AppleCare after the fact and they credit the refund to your outstanding loan balance.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

It also says that to exercise your upgrade option, you need to have maintained continuous AppleCare coverage on the phone. If you return AppleCare on iPhone Upgrade you get downgraded to the other installment option that doesn't allow you to trade in to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

(Bet it's music.)

I bet it's Facebook or WhatsApp. They cache forever.