Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I would like to discuss what good smartphone wallpapers the new Puffin eshort covers make please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

heloooo new iPod wallpaper

You and me both :hfive:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

I know this isn't what you mean AT ALL, but I'm tickled pink at the idea of the top item on the agenda post-independence being negotiating an agreement for the continued use of Peter Capaldi in Doctor Who :3:

But will an independent Scotland still want to watch Doctor Who :ohdear:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
We all know what's missing, though!

"It's war o'clock!" was actually the War Doctor's catch phrase during the Time War.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I quite liked it, as I quite liked the one last week, and the week before that. The egg-laying at the end was silly, yeah (are space dragons born pregnant like Tribbles?), but I enjoyed it overall. I think there were some bits here and there that will eventually be looked back on as moments that really defined the character of the Twelfth Doctor, the "break-up" scene at the end possibly most of all.

All that having been said, I still feel like there's some strange disconnect going on with this season. I like all the individual parts - Capaldi is brilliant, Clara is great, Danny seems to have potential - and I haven't actively disliked anything since about halfway through Deep Breath, but somehow it's not all coalescing into the whole I feel it could. I'm kind of not feeling it, is what I guess I'm saying, and I really don't know if it's me or the show. I guess we'll see if my opinion changes once the season wraps up.

Also, didn't somebody post here a while ago about how they were babysitting (I think?) some kids and they made up Doctor Who stories together, and one of the kids came up with "the moon is an egg"? They weren't babysitting for the Harnesses, were they?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

thexerox123 posted:

Make the topper Eight and Charley fusing together from Scherzo. Just get them to melt two other toppers together.

Or shoes. They fit him perfectly.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
That was so, so good. Probably the best episode of the season, and last week was really really good too. I mean, hermit crab TARDIS! :swoon:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I had a dream last night where I was supposed to meet somebody from this thread at a café, and when they came in they were really rude to me and wouldn't shake my hand. I would like to know who this was so I can report them, thank you.

hashtag anxiety dreams about doctor who forums posters

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

marktheando posted:

Meanwhile, what's Matt Smith up to?

Oh dear.

I see they've employed JNT's tried-and-true methods of creating mystery around their characters for the character of ????.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
In the Forest of the Night
a review in verse

Writer, writer! Why'd you write
"In the Forest of the Night"?
What immoral, thoughtless fool
could write this tasteless piece of stool?

From what mind so full of spite
did the idea come to light?
And of the men who run the show,
who dared to set the bar so low?

What director? what stagehand?
Who could make a show this bland?
And which hapless effects guy
did all that clunky CGI?

And when the actors read those lines
that cringed their way through viewers' spines,
Did they smile their work to see?
or did they hope to run & flee?

Writer, writer! Why'd you write
"In the Forest of the Night"?
What immoral, thoughtless fool
dare write this tasteless piece of stool?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

McGann posted:

With Colin Baker as The Doctor, Maggie Stables as Evelyn Smythe, and David Warner as Irish Joe in...The Troll

Big Finish, we love stories.

platinum users get more at something awful dot com

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I thought the reason the Doctor was so calm after Clara threw all the TARDIS keys into the volcano was because he knew he had another spare one in the cubby-hole above the 'P' v:shobon:v

Dark Water was great, by the way! I really don't care if the Cybermen were spoiled by the trailer and pretty much everyone guessed Missy is probably the Master, both reveals worked for me anyway. I can't wait until this whole thing blows up in her face and she has to scutter away in her TARDIS (and she'd better have one) at the last minute :allears:

I wasn't completely sold on this series to begin with, but I feel it's really got into its groove in this latter half. I kind of loathed last week's, but other than that pretty much everything since The Caretaker and Kill the Moon (which I liked, too) has just been getting better and better, and I suspect I'm going to like the first few episodes a lot more on rewatch, as well, now that I know better where they're going with everything. Though not the first half of Deep Breath, gently caress that noise.

I don't know, I guess Doctor Who is pretty good these days!

EDIT:

It's too bad you never see CGI Snake in anything these days. I think he went back to doing panto and the odd supporting role on Casualty after his stint as the Master.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 3, 2014

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I was just reading some interesting facts about the Krotons because that's the sort of thing you do with your free time when you're a Doctor Who person, and apparently the reason they speak in a mangled South African accent is because Roy Skelton intended it as a comment against apartheid. More politically conscious choices for alien robot accents in Doctor Who in the future please, perhaps Cybermen with North Korean accents

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Irony Be My Shield posted:

e: Clara is pregnant probably.

:eyepop:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

vegetables posted:

That was Missy's TARDIS, as you'll discover in an audio play 20 years from now.

Speaking of, they lingered so long on this shot at the end of Death in Heaven:

I kept expecting that rubbish bin thing featured prominently on the left (or better yet, the carousel behind it) to VWORP VWORP away after Clara had gone.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Pfft. This thing is beautiful.

I don't really like the big clompy mechanical things that show the date and era, they look really nice but don't make much sense when you think about them (does every planet have a "Humanian Era"?). Even then its a thing of absolute beauty, of course.

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever pictured the audios taking place in the TV Movie TARDIS. For whatever reason Eight and Charlie always hang around in the classic white console room in my mind.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
How much better would Let's Kill Hitler and all of Series 6 been if they had had Kamelion instead of the Teselecta?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

the son of Ulysses the great Time Lord traveller

Speaking of, I've been reading Jean-Marc Lofficier's The Nth Doctor, which is a great account of all the dumb and ill-conceived Doctor Who movie projects people tried to get off the ground in the 1980s and 90s. It's a really fun read, even if it desperately tries to give a positive spin on all the ridiculous film ideas and hype up how great it would have been to see K-9 on the big screen. The only criticisms he comes up with are things like "the Time Lord President should have been called Pandak instead of Borusa", which, to be fair, is kind of expected from a mid-90s fan journal.

The book also has some utterly mad notes on the script summaries where Lofficier tries to reconcile all the unmade sequels, prequels and remakeboots not only with Classic Series continuity, but also with each other. Things just get more and more convoluted as the book goes on, and by the end he's up to about 17 pre-Hartnell Doctors and an explanation about how the Egyptian pharaoh Cheops was Ulysses and probably the Other too and also had a piece of the Key to Time, which he was given by the Fourth Doctor but that was later stolen by "the Mandrake" who's really the Master and also his son and also President of Gallifrey.

The Leekley Bible stuff is especially galling, he just lifts tired Joseph Campbell concepts wholesale and Lofficier praises him about how clever that is. It's also got "Cybs", space pirate Cybermen that are too cool for multiple syllables and who are apparently "deadly cyborg versions of Native American -style warriors". Eric Roberts is honestly the least of the evils that might have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Solaris Knight posted:

This sounds amazing. How much is it?

I think you can get it on Kindle for about a fiver, and old paperbacks pop up on eBay for a few pounds every now and then. It's definitely worth the price if you're into that sort of thing.

Metal Loaf posted:

Sliders crossover.

:getin:

• Locked thread