Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ak Gara posted:

I'm British and heard Awesome.

Awesome Pink. That's his name now. Even the younger one.

HOWEVER, I'd like to know how much god drat incest was in their family for someone HUNDREDS of years in the future to look identical to current timeline Pink?

That's actually been handwaved before in-series with Gwen's ancestors in Cardiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LividLiquid posted:

Also, what's a cloister bell?

The Cloister Bell is the alarm to end all alarms. When it sounds, it means catastrophe is imminent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't posted much the last couple of days because I've been building a rudimentary time machine so I can go back in time a couple of days and stop myself from listening to Minuet in Hell. Did it work?

Oh wait no, I just time-traveled the old-fashioned way - straight forward in realtime.

:cripes:

The slow path is the cruelest of all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

I'm really just a sucker for character study bottle episodes. Do a Shuttlepod One in the TARDIS.

I don't think you can really do that with a ship infinitely larger on the inside :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

computer parts posted:

Yeah, from what it sounds like you could TARDIS in to any part of the bank except the vault itself so he just left them there before he wiped his memory.

No, it was about being in the right place at the right time and the Doctor said he'd have no chance in hell of getting the TARDIS into the vault during the solar storm, hence the heist plan. Just popping in any old time would create a paradox because it's a stable time loop involving his own timeline.

DoctorWhat posted:

wait

you DIDN'T KNOW!?

Well to be fair, neither will Adric :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spatula City posted:

I have a question for the old-timers: has the Doctor ever been so precise with the TARDIS that he could land it inside fairly small spaces the way Twelve has done multiple times? Because I don't remember him ever purposefully doing it in the revival. He just didn't have the control.

Ten's done it a couple of times. Martha's apartment for one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Considering The Doctor's Wife, it's probably more that he can fly it just fine, the TARDIS just diverts him when need be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm actually quite hopeful for the Missy storyline, forcing The Doctor to meet up with people who died (or at least, would have died) due to him seems pretty interesting. It hasn't been very well-handled so far though.

Come to think of it in Time Heist we had two people who we thought were disintegrated but who actually teleported, that seems like another hint.

I think Missy's the Rani, or at least a Time Lord. Iirc, didn't the Dalek antibody that snagged the soldier have a red lens instead of blue? Theoretically, a fully-functional "modern" TARDIS could look like whatever it wanted and contain just about anything within. Just hiding her TARDIS within his to tag along wherever the Doctor goes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Nah actually he isn't.

"I'm not your boyfriend Clara."

A better way to look at him is the fact that he really has reset to One. The best way to describe him in the relationship is a stern Grandfather. Would you want your eccentric old grandad to meet the guy you're dating? Poking fun at all those luxuries like the high-heels and extra mirrors. Why, in his millennium...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pizdec posted:

The puppet looks quite happy too!

Almost... too happy... :ohdear:

Don't... blink... :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I just found out that Hulu Plus has, of all things, K-9 and Company. But for the sake of sanity they've done their best to hide it from people by placing it under clips for the new series.

If you're going to take the time to dig for it, then it's on your own head.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

Doctor Who as 1970s bawdy comedy film?

It took Bernard Cribbins forty years to make up for it the last time that happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

justcola posted:

I've been watching the new Who for a while, though skipped a few episodes here and there (Vampires of Venice maybe? Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?), but that's alright.

You should fix this. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is a good fun episode for the most part :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pizdec posted:

"The corner of your buttcheek..."

You missed the obvious one.

"There's something on your back..."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jng2058 posted:

The real question is "How do I free Gallifrey without plunging the universe into another Time War and loving reality all over again?"

Exactly. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just the Daleks, but this time everyone is hell-bent on making sure they don't set off another Time War.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

One Swell Foop posted:

Coming soon to Radio 4.. The Ood Couple

Boo! Boo this man!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Teek posted:

Just going to put this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1w0sTg3Cc

Sadly it's not what everyone probably wants it to be. It's a preview for the new Doctor Who Experience coming later this month, updated now with Capaldi.

Interestingly it sounds like Lalla Ward's Romana?

The Bronze TARDIS control room still lives :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Best control room. Putting some shelves in the current one didn't make it any less poo poo.

They help a little, but they only show how little room there is away from the control console. That ring around the edge is very narrow. I do like the books piled on the stairs though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

So my dad found out that some esoteric channel somewhere in our cable package is airing the second Peter Cushing Who movie tomorrow night.

Does anyone here know if it's worth watching, in either a good or bad way?

You're in for a magical experience :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I quite liked the epilogue for it's dialogue.

"Tell me the truth right not or I swear I'll smack you so hard you'll regenerate"
and
"It was patronising! Don't ever tell me to take the training wheels off my bike ever again!"

were very well delivered.

Hey now, that threat's not idle either. A smack to the head's how he went from Six to Seven :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Further fuel for my 'going full Colin Baker' theory.

I'm glad they've finally got some new stock spacesuits that aren't being reused from The Impossible Planet. It kind of made sense for the Doctor to keep his around (and the fact he reused it in Hide was a nice touch), but the fact he suddenly had abunch of them was a bit weird. Whatever happened to the suits from Silence in the Library?

I'm honestly amazed how much mileage they've gotten out of that drat spacesuit, though I thought having two more pop up just for this episode was a bit too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think they should have made it clear that the "shell" would be harmless from the start, so that the question becomes "is it OK to pre-emptively kill the creature in case it wants to attack us". That would have made the theme more coherent, since that's basically the decision they were discussing.

No it wouldn't. A major part of the discussion was whether or not the shell fragments were going to come crashing down and kick off an impact event bigger than the one that killed the dinosaurs. It's not just about if the creature wanted to attack them, but if even letting it be born at all would kill them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stonefish posted:

Oh, and what the gently caress was with the student suddenly floating in zero-G? The yo-yo was a nice Doctorish way to get out out of that scenario, but how the gently caress did she get into it?

Yeah, that was just weird. I'm pretty sure they mumbled out the explanation for it too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RodShaft posted:

I figured it out. The moon was an egg, but unfertilized. Male space butterfly came by and fertilized it. Those spiders aren't bacteria, they are space butterfly seed. That's why the Mexicans died right as the moon started messing up the earth. And they are super dense so the can break the shell of the egg and burrow to the nucleus. That explains the mass gain and why kid companion floated when the spider climbed around... she was caught in it's gravity.

The extra mass came from the fetus growing inside the egg :ms:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

So my fiancee and I had our wedding cake tasting tonight. We're doing three "levels" of cakes, and the bakers broke out the white chocolate toppers for the main cake...

Using New Paradigm Daleks seems like grounds for divorce to me :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pwnstar posted:

I feel like 12 "works" when he's being a grumpy old man who is kind of a jerk, like when he and Robin Hood are arguing in the prison cell and fighting over who gets to grab the key with their feet. "The good news is that Clara wasn't here to see that" Or when he's terrifies the guard at the orphanage about something you can't see, moving things after you put them down then immediately stealing his coffee and then going to find Wally in a non Where's Wally book.

I think though he's going to have to get over himself though, proving to Danny that he's worth Clara's devotion etc etc.

It's a new regeneration cycle, so he's back to acting like his first incarnation :pseudo:. Just you wait, the guy after him's going to have a fondness for a recorder.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spacedad posted:

Like a big American nerd, I ordered some British candy stuff - some of which was Doctor Who related. Already tried Matt Smith's Jammy Dodgers, which were pretty good. Will definitely be ordering more of those as treats.

Today my Jelly Babies arrived though.

Trying my first one - an orange one. Conclusion: Hmm! I rather like them.

Edit: Tried a few more and I really dig them. I will be now stockpiling plenty of imported Jelly Babies in the future because they're wonderful.

Everyone knows the money candy import is Kinder Surprise Eggs. You guys smuggle those drat things into your country like they're pure-cut heroin.

Also jelly babies are awesome and it boggles my mind that there is someone who's never had one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

One Swell Foop posted:

The Foxes cover was fantastic, but there again I love genre-swap music; it's not like anybody could have done it better than Freddy in his own style, so why not see if it's possible to switch the style? Nobody's saying it's better than Queen. It's not like it's the Scissors Sisters cover of Comfortably Numb (which, admittedly, I also quite like).

I loved their cover too :allears:. If you want some more good genre-swapping music, check out Postmodern Jukebox on Youtube.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Eight died in the ship crash, and it took the Sisterhood bringing him back to life in order for him to have a shot at regeneration.

I wonder if he would have regenerated at the end of those six minutes anyway, since all the chalice did was give him a choice at what he wanted to be.

That was probably the point of the chalice. Rather than inducing the actual regeneration, it merely shaped it.

edit: drat you, Attitude Indicator! :rant:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trin Tragula posted:

Can we please talk more about how incredible it is that someone found a way to use hammerspace in Doctor Who and played it straight?

It's bigger on the inside :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How long do you give it before the BBC is flogging replicas of the Hermit TARDIS, with exact rubber replicas of Peter Capaldi's hand? I give it a month, max.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was mildly disappointed that Peter Capaldi didn't do the Addams Family "Snap-snap" after getting the TARDIS off the tracks :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

The Missy plotline will not resolve well, there's just no way that it will.

It turns out River regenerated after all :can:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I liked both of those episodes he wrote, but I think I missed something. Did The Doctor just magic wand away the bad guys at the end or was that set up and I just missed it?

He said he was pretty sure he could banish them (see the 2DIS as a small-scale version), he just didn't have the power to pull it off because they were draining the TARDIS. And then it got recharged by their own power :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prison Warden posted:

When the Doctor was talking about all the various types of communication he's come across before, I was kind of hoping for a Curse of Fatal Death reference, oh well.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one disappointed by this :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I know how you feel. Charlie and the chocolate factory also had me apoplectic too.

Wtf?

You don't go telling impressionable children "don't take your meds, the voices make you special" on national television :cripes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah it looks like a fob watch twist to me. The idea of The Master deliberately choosing to regenerate into a young woman in order to get picked up by The Doctor is pretty amusing :v:. Or maybe it's some other Time Lord.

Then again if that were the twist then I wouldn't expect them put such a big hint for it in the preview, so it could just be a fakeout.

I'm guessing hypnosis or an implanted sleeper personality. That way the whole point is the Doctor trying to make her snap out of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dabir posted:

And that's not even mentioning why Amy didn't remember the Earth being stolen by Daleks.

Actually that was a plot point in Victory of the Daleks, and got waved off with the Cracks and the universe being reset.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Never thought we'd see an episode on par with that one, but whelp here we are :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: You know what would have made this episode way better? If they expanded on the zoo breakout and had the field trip at the zoo instead of the museum. Holy poo poo, actual consequences that can actually put these kids in actual danger! Sure, it doesn't fix the horrible anti-meds message, and it's probably not going to make the plot resolutions less stupid. But it would make all the parts of the episode that weren't that become interesting and noteworthy by introducing real stakes.

This would've gone a long way to fixing it. Dump the meds thing and just say she's been acting a bit weird since her sister's gone missing and it's nowhere near as bad. Hell you could even pass off the lack of people better when they're confined to the one location, and it opens up more suspense with all the animal exhibits being empty or damaged rather than just the Doctor blatantly stating why a wolf was in downtown London.

• Locked thread