Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Appx how much €€ do I need to part with to get a decent tablet/Kindle-like device? What should I look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
If I get an iPad would I have any trouble using my library of pirated eBooks (.azw3) and movies (.mkv) on it? I've never owned an Apple product.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm a couple years late but last I did research, the Paperwhite was by far the best e-reader. In general, e-reader screens are way better at handling glare and being easy on the eyes. So unless you specifically need the capabilities of a tablet, e-readers are superior for just readin books.

E: I expect piracy is possible. You can transfer your own documents after all. Never tried because :effort:

Is it worth using compared to a phone when it's only slightly bigger? My phone is 6.1", the paperwhite is 6.8"? :effort:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's this about ads on the kindles? If the store doesn't specifiy it's "no lock-screen ads", do I have to assume it comes with loving ads? :zombie:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol these are some 2012-rear end takes about iPads. You can pop USB sticks on them and manage files now and poo poo. Download files from servers and email and whatnot. Files.

Anyway, OP, it seems like you can download apps that will read azw3 files (mobi, etc), or convert them to either epub or pdf and read them with a bajillion different apps that way.

https://www.epubor.com/how-to-read-azw3-books-on-an-ipad-or-iphone.html

:thanks:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Honestly, that link's a bit overcomplicated. Get calibre; it's great at converting ebook file types. Convert to epub. Amazon has a Send to Kindle desktop app that goes right into your context menu. Right-click your new epubs, send them to kindle. Every smart device has a free Kindle app. You're done.

My eBooks are in .azw3, often converted from epub, precisely because they're then easier to use in the Kindle app on my phone. It's Amazon's format.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 2, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've ordered a Kindle Paperwhite 5 with no ads. And immediately started wondering if I should have saved money by getting a Kobo instead lol :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

You're going to love it, don't let yourself get gooned up in the consumerism.

All right. Looking forward to using it. It will be nice to be able to read my ebooks without having the distractions on my phone getting in the way.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why does my Kindle Paperwhite refuse to charge when connected to my Samsung 25W phone charger (usb-c to usb-c), using the wall adapter, but does charge (slowly) if I take the cable and connect the kindle to my PC?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just saw a similar discussion with some goon trying to charge their Anbernic handheld via a USB C-C cable on their PC.

I honestly don't know why it technically doesn't work but you're better off just using a regular 5V/2A charger and a USB A-Micro cable.

Don't know what a regular 5V/2A charger is, or why a usb-a to usb micro cable would be the right thing, when the kindle pw only has a usb-c input.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

repiv posted:

some early/bad usb-c devices where they just bodged in the connector without following the spec properly will only charge with the cable inserted in one of the two orientations when connected to a native usb-c charger

That was not the issue. But I think a 25W charger is simply too much for the kindle pw. I tried an older 15W charger and it works. It charges the kindle pw at around 1% per minute, which I'm happy with.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why did my Kindle Paperwhite go to 0 battery over the course of 5 days of not being used? It was at over 70% battery prior to that. Now it wouldn't even turn on. Thought it was bricked. Plugged in a cable and the screen turned on, saying the battery needs charging before it can be used.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Is there an update for it? Whenever I've had "sleeping" devices die much sooner than expected it was almost always due to them waking up to do an automatic update and getting stuck at the "must be plugged in to start update" step.

Pretty sure it was in airplane mode. And recently updated.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 13, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Would I be held back by my current RAM modules if I brought them into a new system? The new one would be a mid/high end one, maybe with a AMD 7700, or 7800X3D cpu.

Current RAM is, according to HWiNFO: 32gb DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

You can’t. Zen 4 requires DDR5, a new generation of memory.

:argh:

Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Could you please recommend some decent ddr5 modules for a mid-range sum?

Edit: Would the same be the case for Intel?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 29, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Rexxed posted:

As Rinkles said, Intel 12th-14th gen CPUs can use DDR4 or DDR5 depending on which motherboard you buy for them (there's different chipsets for the ram compatibility). It's probably not the best idea to get a very high end CPU and use slower DDR4 but if you're on a budget it's possible. Bear in mind that the Intel motherboards are pretty expensive and a the chips use a lot of watts so you need a beefy cooler, that kind of all adds up when putting together a new system. Depending how old your previous system it's possible getting an AMD R7-5800X3D and a B550 motherboard would be a better budget upgrade, but that will depend on how much you're looking to spend and what you want to play. It's true that the 5000 series Ryzen are slower than the 7000 series but the 5800X3D is holding up well in some games that benefit from the 3D cache.

Definitely stop by the PC building/part picking thread with what you have and what you think you want to build and what your goals are for the system, it's pretty easy to price stuff out with sites like pcpartpicker.

I have a b550 + 5600x. It's pretty much good enough for a while longer. I'm just doing some pre-planning.

Speaking of which - should I be buying SSDs now, rather than wait until I'm ready to build a new pc? Prices are pretty low atm, but there are rumblings that a manufacturer, I forget which, is planning to drive up NAND prices by +20% per quarter soon...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Do you want to use it as a primary drive in a future upgrade or just as storage?

For the former, you’ll want an NVME drive - check if you have a spare NVME slot. Your older mb likely only supports pcie 4.0 - 4.0 drives are cheap now, no reason not to get one right away. Upgrading to current gen offers pcie 5.0 compatibility. I think pcie 5.0 doesn’t offer any significant advantages for consumer use and they are expensive at the moment. Someone please correct me if I’m off base.

For the latter, yeah it’s a good time to get an M2 drive.

I already have a 1tb nvme m2 ssd as my OS drive. I'm pretty sure the mainboard (msi mpg b550 gaming carbon wifi) has another nvme slot, but there was something about it, it's slower or something, don't remember exactly.

And I have a 2tb sata ssd for storage.

The question is, do I buy a 2tb nvme m2 now as my next OS drive, and don't use it yet. Or do use it in the slower slot, for storage and then empty it when it's time for the next build. Or just get another 2tb sata ssd for storage (I keep running out of space, and these are also pretty cheap now), and then re-use my current 1tb nvme for my next pc's OS. But idk if buying sata is wise at all now.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Sometimes when I start an app, it closes immediately upon the first mouseclick on it. And sometimes when I enter a search term on a website and press enter, I get a partial result, as if only some of the text had been entered, or a popup with the code of the search box instead. It's almost as if the mouseclick and other forms of "execution" causes strange behavior sometimes.

Could these issues be related to me stabbing the mobo slightly with a screwdriver while installing my new m2 ssd (drat those tiny screws to hell)?

edit: I'm running cmd: sfc /scannow now

edit: it found corrupted files and repaired them. That has happened before though.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Just use an online psu calculator with your various components and it'll tell you what you need.

When using a psu calc like https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator , should I be entering the cpu and gpu fans as well, or is that included in the W cost of cpu/gpu?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

nitsuga posted:

You certainly can, but it shouldn’t make a huge difference. I will say depending on the age and quality of your PSU, replacing it wouldn’t be a terrible idea. I definitely was tripping my 550W Seasonic that was rated gold when I upgraded to a 3070, and I too ran the numbers like you’re doing.

So feel free to try it, but do consider heeding their recommendation. Not a huge cost in the grand scheme.

Even if I replace my current gpu with a 4090 I won't be close to tripping my 750W Corsair, according to the calc, so I think I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there reason to think that PSUs will change over the next 1-2 years? Any reason not to buy one on sale now even though I don't plan on building my next system this year?