Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

me your dad posted:

What exactly do I need to order? If it's not MOLEX, how can I know which 4 pin plug will fit? Can anyone provide a link?

You were on the right track, just got your genders mixed up.

This should work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PoizenJam posted:

Secondarily, is it actually better to disable the onboard video and audio if they aren’t being used?

Video yes, especially if you're overclocking. Audio less so, there's no harm in disabling it if you're not using it but it also probably won't really do anything meaningful for system performance.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Glare Seethe posted:

Dying drive? It's about 2.5 years old.

Dying drive would be my guess, yeah. At least it should (hopefully) still be under warranty.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

stoicheian posted:

I finally got a job that pays. I want to replace my desktop and play un-optimized games like rimword with a bunch of mods or roguetech. My budget is say 2k. What should I buy?

Probably a Ryzen 5600X (5800X is also in your budget but probably a bit overkill, though it is easier to find in stock) with a B550 motherboard and an appropriate amount of RAM for your needs (16 or 32 gigs, depending). Hold on to your current video card because the GPU market is very, very stupid right now.

Come on over to the PC building thread if you'd like more specifics.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Also depending on how old they are, your sticks may already be dual rank! CPU-Z can tell you in the SPD tab.

Most 16gb kits these days are single rank but I have a kit from late 2015 that's dual.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

All the cheap SATA cards I've seen only have 2 ports.

I think the NAS thread usually recommends used LSI SAS cards. You use breakout cables to turn the SAS ports into however many SATA ports you need.

Potential downside to this is that it won't fit in a PCIe x1 slot. This may or may not be a big deal depending on your motherboard and use case. Sometimes the motherboard will split off half the lanes from the primary x16 slot to give you 2x8 when the second x16 slot is populated (the reduction in lanes is usually not a problem for GPU performance, if that's a concern), sometimes it'll just run at x4 off the chipset and potentially disable a m.2 slot or a couple SATA ports. Consult your motherboard's manual.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

VelociBacon posted:

E: just bought a WD blue 2tb SSD, will be fine. Ty

Good choice!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Scythe posted:

Thanks for any help; there are too many options here and searching isn't getting me any comparisons that seem applicable to my specific circumstances.

Look in to Moonlight. Lots of clients available so you may already have something you can use.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

iirc folks have had success in some cases with disabling global c-states in the BIOS. Worth a try, maybe?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LRADIKAL posted:

I bought myself a wireless xbox controller. I made the mistake of checking the latency... 30ms!!! Wired the same controller has 8 ms of lag. Can I tell the difference? Maybe! It is a few frames!

I've been unable to properly search out a bluetooth adapter with lower latency. Are there any that have lower latency?

Sidestep Bluetooth entirely, get the official wireless adapter.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Number_6 posted:

My local power (in Texas, natch) seems to be increasingly unreliable, with an annoying frequency of short "blips"--outages of 1 or 2 seconds that reset my PC, router, etc. In ye olde days (like Windows 95) I remember being really concerned that events like that would corrupt my hard drive, system files, etc. Not to mention some risk of damage to the PC's electronic components themselves. Is this still a concern with modern OS's like Windows 10 or Windows 11, or do they manage data and file systems in a way that prevents data loss or system corruption from power outages?

I would be more concerned with hardware damage, but data loss/corruption isn't totally out of the realm of possibility. It sounds like you should be shopping for a good UPS.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

VelociBacon posted:

Is this okay/normal? I suppose if the system wasn't grounded I wouldn't be able to transmit a static shock to it in the first place? Just kinda confused and a small part of me is concerned that one day if it's particularly bad I might damage something. Thanks goons.

Your problem is with the excessive static, the grounding is not the issue. Consider getting a humidifier.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rinkles posted:

My original pair is from Crucial, who exited the gaming market last year, so their Ballistix stuff is all overpriced now.

Even the "same" kit purchased a couple months apart can use chips from different vendors. If they're not literally from the same manufacturing lot you're rolling the dice on getting things working with no issues.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

anakha posted:

I just placed an order for a $248 5800X3D that likely got mispriced since the 5800X cost the exact same amount.

If they actually honor the purchase, I have a couple of questions:

1. I currently have a R5 3600 paired with a 6700XT and a FSP Hydro GE 650 W 80+ Gold PSU. Would I be fine sticking with the same PSU or do I need to upgrade?

2. MY current air cooler is an ID Cooling SE-234 ARGB. If I want to stay with air coolers, would a Deepcool AK620 suffice for this CPU?

Your current PSU is fine, and your current cooler likely is too. An AK620 is more than sufficient.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Action-Bastard posted:

My question is, is this something wrong with the GPU or the PSU? Is it worth pursuing an RMA? The PSU is under warranty for 10 years

Coil whine isn't always hardware related. It could just be lovely mains power.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Another basic troubleshooting step that wasn't mentioned: have you tried re-seating the RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The P3 Plus is a QLC drive, which has some disadvantages if you're frequently writing large amounts of data (particularly as the drive fills up), but outside of that it's fine.