Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Rookersh posted:

On one hand I really like Borderlands.

On the other, they outright said they were thinking of charging less for it because it was only half as long as the other Borderlands games, then proceeded to charge full price for it.

I think I'm going to wait for people to start finishing it before I buy.

They didn't say that. They said they were thinking about a lower price point if the size of the game was particularly smaller. When the game was still very much in development. I'm guessing they didn't cut out as much stuff as they were thinking of.

Either way I will get hundreds of hours out of this and I paid like £22 so I'm good.

Get hype! :torgue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Genocyber posted:

drat how did you get it so cheap. Best sale I've seen so far is for ~$45 (~35 euros).

Base price on UK steam is £30, minus 20% first weekend discount minus a further 10% bonus discount for owning either previous BL game.

Numbers might not be totally accurate but it was that combination of things. UK got a way better price than anyone else on steam for some reason.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 22, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kaethela posted:

There had better be an explanation as to why he loses the ability to go up stairs. :colbert:

They did mention at some point that there is an explanation for that in the game somewhere. Probably at/near the end.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Check out http://www.vpngate.net/en/, they have some Brazil IP VPNs you could use. Slow as gently caress, but will get the job done.

Check out the Hola Better Internet plug in for Chrome or Firefox. Does what you want but in browser, per site and much faster.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Going to crossquote this from the BL2 thread because it's worth knowing -

Critical posted:

For what it's worth I just asked Gothalion about the scaling in PreSequel and he confirmed that he talked to the devs and it has been brought back to BL1 levels and is not at all insane. So good news.

This is a very good thing, should make higher levels much less bullet spongy.

E: woops double post

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Really though it doesn't look like o2 is a particularly rare resource. And there's loads of other cool oz kit effects which will probably be better than some free air.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

YAY another poster who apparently hates Borderlands coming into a Borderlands thread trying to stir poo poo up. Tell us more about how a game is terrible because you don't like it :allears:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Solumin posted:

I think a lot of us who have played BL1 and BL2 a number of times don't remember that the game takes some getting used to. If you don't know what's going on, the game isn't easy -- but that's true of pretty much everything.

That said, you shouldn't need a gimmick to get through Normal.

If my girlfriend (:siren:) who is nearly blind in one eye and gets lost in public toilets can play and finish both games, they aren't that hard to get used to.

TBH the only reason she got that far was because there are no ladders in Borderlands. (OK BL2 has a couple but they're pretty much optional)

Also you guys are really overstating the involvement of Gearbox in this game. So far as I can make out they were more overseeing the production rather than being hands on in most areas other than writing. (Cue angry mob complaining about Anthony Burch)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Organs posted:

yeah i just looked on steam and the game is £29.99 after the 25% discount. how are you getting it down to £22? i own borderlands 2 but it's not showing an additional discount for me or anything

OK my bad I misremembered, I got it for £26, minus some steam wallet funds which brought it down to 22. There was definitely a loyalty discount thing though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

While I resent the full price for what feels more like a DLC (same engine, lots of similar assets, etc), I do look forward for some more of Jack. He's what made Borderlands 2 a much more engaging story (first time around) than BL1. BL1 barely had a story (something to do with the Crimson Lance and a vault?), but right from the beginning of BL2, you know you hate Jack and are going to smash his face in. If they can pull that off again, should be fun.

BL1 had plenty of story, it was just really easy to miss because huge chunks of it were text and/or optional and so quite easy to miss. Bl2 has lots more voice work so it stands out more. Having a properly engaging antagonist did do wonders for it though, as you say.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

he was mis-appropriating company resources to get Angel the access she had (he gets yelled at by his boss).
this

Skandranon posted:

Though he should have had all that before the H got put in place. I supposed we'll just have to wait and see.
is the same thing as this.

He was misappropriating the space station.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Not enough variety in your choice of vault hunters there. Also, Knoxx would be wasted as a player character, he needs as much dialogue as possible. He'd be better as your chief contact/questgiver.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

CJacobs posted:

It's really hard to compare a gun that does 684,326 damage to one that does 683,426 damage at a glance if you can barely read normal numbers in order as-is.

While I 100% agree with you, that's exactly what the green and red arrows next to the stats are for.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough. Sometimes the arrows are deceptive as to what is "better", like how the green arrow for grenade fuse time actually means longer fuse time even though shorter is more beneficial, etc. but that's just a niche case.

Also not true. Green arrows point to shorter fuse times on Grenade mods. See here -

Re: Game feeling like DLC - I think that's how it started, they talked about the Moonbase DLC a lot. I'm happy with the amount of content i've seen from the promo stuff, though. From Borderlands 2 I can only really recall seeing 3 or 4 areas in any kind of detail in the promo stuff, out of the what, 20ish areas there ended up being? The proof will be in the pudding, but I'm hopeful it'll be a full sized game.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Dootman posted:

They sure solved that problem in BL2.

Well yes, they did. They just took it too far and created the opposite problem. And now TPS is allegedly somewhere in the middle trying to strike a balance. Granted it shouldn't have taken two whole game iterations to get right but progress is progress!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The TPS Season Pass is up on Steam with a price - £24.99/$29.99. US has a way more favourable price, opposite to what happened with the base game.

Not much more info on it. Says it includes Characters and Story DLC, which we knew. Also says DLC content will be out by October 2015, which is slightly less time than it took for the last BL2 DLC to come out.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

We do not know either of those things.

But probably.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Not even slightly. You might say most AAA games have a preload, but that'd still be touch and go. BL2 did though, so it's not unlikely this will.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I just got an email from Gearbox with some Shift codes for the pre sequel, so that will be a returning feature. It doesn't mention golden keys or anything at all about what they give though, so not sure if there will be a golden chest equivalent (probably)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Crazy Larry posted:

You can start preloading now on Steam. Only 5.1 GB, so I can't see it being the whole game.

Um. Try reading the Info before just clicking through!

The Download is 5.1GB, it unpacks to 9.6GB.

E:

...and done :smuggo:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 11, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Meanwhile

Plus the £27.50 I paid for the base game, that's all content for less than the £40 base price of the main game. :yotj:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm also worried about the game falling into the same traps as BL2 with horribly broken scaling and such that will ruin the later parts of the game.

Have they said anything indicating that they're avoiding those problems this time?

Yes, there has been talk of the scaling having been toned down. Nothing in official releases as far as I know but one of the big BL2 streamers (gothalion I think) said he was told at an event that the scaling is somewhere in between BL1 and BL2. I forget if it was in this thread or the BL2 thread that it came up though.

Edit: I just spotted in the 9 min Introduction video, toward the end when it mentions MULTIPLE CHARACTERS there are 5 classes shown on the save selection screen -

Gladiator, Enforcer, Lawbringer and Fragtrap we know about. I guess Doppelganger is going to the the Jack double that was mentioned at some point?

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 11, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Edit: If I played BL2 on my PC just fine I imagine it'll do okay here right? Seems similar enough.

Yeah it's the exact same engine so you'll get similar performance.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The original Bordergoons group has the most members I think. Not sure who admins it though. Might even be me. :v: (not on my pc right now)

If a new group name is needed I nominate 'MoonGoons'

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The camera height has always reflected character height, ever since the first game. Look at the difference between Brick and Lilith for instance. Salvador is also a shortarse.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kuso Meriken posted:

That makes me question then what makes the penalty mechanic worth having? I understand that living beings need oxygen to breath but it seems silly then to make losing it all a penalty. Why not just make it jet fuel to power your boost and butt stomps?

I hope the movement options make it to future Borderlands as well. Though I'm not a huge fan of how Destiny turned out the way jumps and movement work in that game were cool and it seems like the Pre-Sequel takes that to another level.

Well the penalty Mechanic isn't really a penalty (to you), but you can use it against enemies.

Played an hour and a half, game owns. Deadlift fight was kinda rubbish til I swapped guns and took him down way faster.

Can't wait to get some co-op going when I can unlock it properly.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

OK so I futzed with the Loot table that AHungryRobot Linked and decided it was too complicated and annoying, so I took the salient points from that one and threw them into the old loot table file for BL2.

Result: TPS Loot table file with a lot easier access and the "Sensible" preset I made for BL2 alreaady loaded. Grab it here. This also has the dumb CE 6.2 check removed so you can use the newer versions with no hassle.

Credit to whoever made the original, I forget.

You can just run that file direct, once TPS is loaded. Click the Item/Rarity checkbox then the presets one and choose a preset, or modify the numbers manually. I'm not sure if the "Drops" section at the bottom works any more, might be broken.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 20, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I found half the things to trigger him on my very first run through that area but didn't know what they were for, and haven't found the last bits yet.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

They definitely have the vehicles operating on a different gravity setting than when you are running, especially the moon buggy.

Have you considered that maybe the vehicles simply weigh more than a dude on foot?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

I have. Considering that the exact same buggy in BL1 and BL2 was BETTER at jumping, ON PANDORA, something is wrong with the moon buggy.

Well it's not the same buggy. It's probably based on the Runner from BL2 but it doesn't have the same handling at all. It turns tighter and grips more, which people have complained about, and it does feel pretty heavy when jumping.

Question is, why does it even matter? I can't think of a single time you actually need to use the thing, apart from just getting around a bit faster. Every (all two!) jump you supposedly need it to make can be made on foot, until you unlock the Stingray which is hilariously better for getting around.

Just don't use the Moon Buggy if you have a hate boner for it.

Also, people complaining about Nisha's autoaim being too sensitive or some poo poo are crazy, you just look vaguely in the direction of some dudes, pull the trigger until they fall over and then look for more dudes. With a good Jakobs pistol it's hilarious. I wish it properly aimed at Crit spots though rather than centre mass.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

So I'm gonna take this thread being on page 2 this close to release as a bad sign.

Is this game essentially the same old borderlands that I have enjoyed in the past?

Stupid jokes, pretty environments and lots of bullets and explosions?

Not really, a lot of threads in Games move pretty fast. Stuff gets to page 2 quite easily in peak times.

And yes, your summation is pretty accurate. If you enjoyed BL2 this is more in a similar vein, but with enough changes that it'll still feel fresh.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Also, pretty much all the legendary lasers are less good then their purple beam equivalents. The ZX-1 is the only one that even comes close.

Have you tried the Excalibastard? I just picked it up and its pretty awesome. Probably the only useful Railgun laser I've come across because of the boosted crit damage.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A decent enough excuse to shoot faces for 20+ hours, tho.

I'm at 80 hours played already :ohdear:

Also is anyone else running into a levelling issue around 32-33? I've done every single available sidequest except "To Arms!" including all the level 35 ones that spawn at the start of Artificial Intelligences, but that main quest is level 35 and I'm struggling to reach 34. I've run out of quest XP to get and grinding random mooks to get like 100K xp doesn't sound appealing.

I'll just push on with the main quest anyway, but it seems like a slight mismatch in available XP there.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 21, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

So my partner and I finished Normal at level 26 last night on PS3 (me as Athena, him as Fragtrap). A few takeaways from it:

-Holy gently caress, the RK5 fight is a pain the rear end. So not looking forward to that in TVHM.

-Final boss fight was mildly annoying, though we both died to AoE after the Lootsplosion.

You were underlevelled. You wanna be about 26 going into RK5 really, and 28 or so at the Vault. That's roughly what the enemies equate to anyway. Seems like TVHM starts at 28, too.

Also I just found a neat bug if anyone liked those starting weapons and doesn't have access to Gibbed.

Start a new character, skip the cutscene and get to the character creation bit. I just wanted to look at a head I had unlocked for claptrap but I dont have a claptrap yet so I just looked at that then quit baack ot the mian menu. Upon slecting my Wilhelm again and continuing the game I got the Loyalty reward popups - 2 items and 30 moonstones. Sure enough I have 30 extra moonstones and the Bullpup and Smasher - Level appropriate.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

mastersord posted:

Here's what I did:

I was level 22 at the time so I spent a few hours grinding cash and XP till level 24.

This is the only bit that probably mattered.

I'm getting bored of people saying "X fight is too hard!" and then revealing they are 2 or 3 levels under the boss. The scaling isn't as severe as BL2 but you still really need to be no more than a level below boss fights or you'll be badly outclassed.

The level scaling of the main quest seems to take into account you hoovering most if not all of the side quests up. Some side quests give ludicrous XP too. For instance that race quest in triton flats. If you complete it in TVHM it'll give you 10k XP, but if you beat it first time and keep the optional objective checked you get 30k XP. Optional objectives do sometimes affect quest rewards now, heads up.

That race quest is a dick though because the route markers are terrible and you'll get lost first time.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kaethela posted:

Working Pre-Sequel tables - no editing needed! https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_f11g1DlLhDc2RvVEhpZ2cyNmM

Tested out... the .cetrainer one if I remember right, and it worked fine. You do need the latest version of CheatEngine or you get errors, though.

Here try this instead -

AirRaid posted:

OK so I futzed with the Loot table that AHungryRobot Linked and decided it was too complicated and annoying, so I took the salient points from that one and threw them into the old loot table file for BL2.

Result: TPS Loot table file with a lot easier access and the "Sensible" preset I made for BL2 alreaady loaded. Grab it here. This also has the dumb CE 6.2 check removed so you can use the newer versions with no hassle.

You can just run that file direct, once TPS is loaded. Click the Item/Rarity checkbox then the presets one and choose a preset, or modify the numbers manually. I'm not sure if the "Drops" section at the bottom works any more, might be broken.

Much easier to deal with than the one you posted.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

If you quit the game and reload the level the quest items will respawn close to where the thing that dropped them was. I had a similar problem with the posters for Springs, and the one offending item respawned on top of the building where the guy was once I reloaded the map.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Borderlands: The Pressequel - People still getting irrationally mad at fictional characters

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Sindai posted:

You know what's really stupid? The game still only checkpoints at the beginning of an entire area. I crashed at the end of the engine room in Pity's Fall and now I have to slog through the entire map again. Why aren't you doing reasonable checkpoints in the year 2014?

Actually if you die and respawn in the same session you'll respawn further ahead - there are plenty of minor checkpoint/save stations (every time you see the lil vault symbol save icon you've gone near one). When you start the game however, (like, after a game crash which they can't really predict, even if they shouldnt happen at all), it'll spawn you at the fast travel point. There are plenty of checkpoints in Pity's Fall to account for dying during normal play. But you're effectively quitting and restarting the game, so it will spawn you at the "start" of the area. Whether that's the last entrance you used or the actual Fast Travel depends on if the FT is activated.

Fun Fact: it's entirely possible to roll into concordia at the start, do all the quest crap and go out Moxxi's back door without ever activating the FT station, so you have to slog back in the long way.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I learned this the hard way. Please make sure you walk near every fast travel station you come across because they no longer activate upon coming into the area for god knows what reason. :negative:

Well mostly before the FT station was placed at the entrance to the area. You can actually do the same thing in Three Horns Divide in BL2. You enter at claptraps ship, then go to Sanctuary, then go do the stuff for roland, get the power core from the bandits, back to sanctuary. You kinda go near the FT station in the middle but it's easy to miss tagging it and then having to schlep back out of the sanctuary front door.

In TPS the FT stations are in weird places round the maps quite a lot. Outlands Canyon FT is right up near Pickle, and actually this is good because whenever you come back to the area you're closer to where you want to be (usually pickle's place).

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 25, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I wanna play Borderlands 2 with some goons. Is this the correct group?

To be honest there are a bunch of BL goon groups and none of them are hugely active. You're better off going and posting in the PC thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I downloaded the cetrainer for changing drop weights, but after making a preset and removing the version check EXACTLY how it says in the BL2 thread, it fails. It says something about being unable to execute lua [RarityChances] something something "<eof> expected at end" or something. Can someone just upload a correctly altered cetrainer file? I don't know why there isn't one in the other thread's walkthrough instead of having every single person change it themselves and hopefully not gently caress something up and not know how they did (like me).

EDIT: Figured I'd just edit them manually, but the cetrainer doesn't recognize my TPS. It just sits there with "Waiting for Borderlands2 process..." on the first checkbox forever, and I can't load presets or anything. Fuckin :lol:

EDIT: Found a table that apparently actually works on my own in the CE forums. At least it is loading and found my game. Going to fudge the drop rates to check.

I've posted this twice already but I already did this and got it working.

:siren::siren::siren:EASY LOOT TABLE FILE FOR THE PRESEQUEL:siren::siren::siren:

AirRaid posted:

Result: TPS Loot table file with a lot easier access and the "Sensible" preset I made for BL2 alreaady loaded. :siren:Grab it here.:siren: This also has the dumb CE 6.2 check removed so you can use the newer versions with no hassle.

Four clicks to better loot drops. gently caress the dumb complicated other table with all the extra crap.

E: I was gonna ask Smashpro to put this in the OP but of courrse he doesn't have plat. Smashpro1 can you put this in the OP please. People keep asking.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread