Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Randy's gentle, carefully thought-out and honest explanation to Shelley of the fact he was Lorde was so well done, especially with his quiet relief afterwards for doing such a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Trendscendence" is actually a really funny joke.

Like Johnny Depp, but kewl.

Seriously though, the rest of the season was so great this episode feels a bit weak in comarison, but it was still better than the majority of their season finales and was a good episode overall.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

WHERE IS MY COFFEE posted:

I think South Park wants to boost streaming revenue on their new site by recruiting new viewers from a younger demographic. :tinfoil:

Pewdiepie has 100 zillion subscribers. If a tenth of those subscribers watch the South Park episode with PDP in it, South Park gets 10 zillion views. Or 20 zillion, if the new viewers watch the whole two-parter.

If a tenth of those viewers like what they see, and go on to watch the entire run of South Park, then South Park gets 257 zillion views on all their videos. All of this from brand new viewers who will perpetuate the show to a new generation.

:10bux:

A TV-MA show trying to attract an under-17 audience? :eek:

I also have a feeling 98% of the actual jokes would fly over their heads. Assuming they even know what a joke is at such a point.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kuuenbu posted:

I also have a feeling 98% of the actual jokes would fly over their heads. Assuming they even know what a joke is at such a point.

Was anyone here not in their teens when they started watching South Park?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

I think South Park wants to boost streaming revenue on their new site by recruiting new viewers from a younger demographic. :tinfoil:

Pewdiepie has 100 zillion subscribers. If a tenth of those subscribers watch the South Park episode with PDP in it, South Park gets 10 zillion views. Or 20 zillion, if the new viewers watch the whole two-parter.

If a tenth of those viewers like what they see, and go on to watch the entire run of South Park, then South Park gets 257 zillion views on all their videos. All of this from brand new viewers who will perpetuate the show to a new generation.

That TV rating has got to go!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Irish Joe posted:

poo poo, I was like 12 when I first started watching South Park. I even got in trouble at school for bringing a micro-cassette recorder to school on which I'd taped "Kyle's Mom is a Big Fat Bitch".

And I don't think kids need PewDiePie to drum up interest in South Park. Their parents, uncles, older cousins or siblings, etc., will probably pass along knowledge of the show at some point. And they're still referencing stuff that kids now would get (and probably plenty of stuff that they wouldn't).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
ok so I hate the new series of southpark.

At first it was pretty funny but this whole continuity thing they got going is kinda sapping the focus out of the episodes, making the actual main part of the episode a sidepoint. Like yeah, randy is lorde was funny, but having randy being lorde over the top of this whole pewdiepie thing, the racist cops and the holograms and all that other poo poo is just like this unfunny pile up of jokes.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Irish Joe posted:

I was 12 or 13.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I was also 12ish when I first watched South Park though I was aware of it before then. I just didn't watch it for whatever reason.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The first episode I saw was the Korn Halloween special when I was 12, from a VHS my buddy had taped. I was never the same.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

The first episode I saw was the Korn Halloween special when I was 12, from a VHS my buddy had taped. I was never the same.
"I know! Let's have everyone who enjoys having obstacles in their life which they can overcome go this way, and everyone whose insecurities sabotage their potential to overcome those obstacles go that way! " - Jonathan Davis

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I wasn't even 11 when I saw the episode with Big Gay Al for the first time with my dad, probably on it's first run. My mom wasn't happy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

First episode I saw was "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" when I was thirteen. It was a pretty bizarre intro to the series.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

In Season 1 I was 8, the same age as the South Park kids. Some of my classmates thought it was funny and kept talking about Kenny and Cartman and I figured it was just some stupid live action show for grown ups like Friends or something else I really found no interest in as an 8 year old.

Once I found out it was a cartoon I asked my parents about it, and they said I could watch one episode but they'd have to watch it with me and decide if I could watch it. My mom and dad laughed uproariously at jokes that went over my head, I laughed uproariously at the idea that "frikkin" could be a word, and at the end my parents told me I was forbidden to ever watch South Park again until I was an adult. :( though we all know how that goes (I watched it every chance I could get)

As someone named Randy I love that I finally have a better cartoon namesake than the snitch from Recess.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 14, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Started watching South Park a few years ago, when I was a teenager, because I'm a fan of musicals and South Park: Bigger, Longer, And Uncut is a musical. Binged every episode in order after watching the movie (including Super Best Friends, 200, and 201, which I resorted to bootlegs to watch), and I honestly didn't dislike a single one. There were some episodes I felt were weaker, but I have honestly liked every single episode of South Park I've seen, which is every episode of South Park.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is a South Park marathon going on right now, and I just have to ask.... How do you tame a horse in minecraft? For real, I never played minecraft but now I am super curious.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm curious how they boiled down the answer to something you could enter into a satellite receiver.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Remora posted:

I'm curious how they boiled down the answer to something you could enter into a satellite receiver.

Type in 'carrot'

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Type in 'carrot'

But... you don't need a carrot?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

The first episode I watched live was Pinkeye. I has just turned 12.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I was in college when I saw a bootleg tape of the pre-tv "episode" with the anal probing and all that. Although I think I was 19 at the time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

My teens were long gone when South Park started airing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had some friends that started watching it right after the series started, when we were like 8 or 9. I can't imagine that they would've gotten a lot of the jokes at that point. But personally, I didn't start watching it until I was like 14. I caught a few episodes on TV, loved them, then went online and watched every episode of the series up to that point. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard and so consistently as I did during that week or two when I was catching up on all those episodes.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

You mean whatever pirate site they use to stream the episodes will get the views, because the new hulu based site is complete poo poo compared to their original site.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

OLD

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

where did they go

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I was about 12 or so when I saw my first episode... which was around when season 1 just started making controversy. Did not start watching consistently/catching up until about 5-7 years later.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Pretty sure the first episode I saw was from Season 2. Spookyfish.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Windows 98 posted:

Pretty sure the first episode I saw was from Season 2. Spookyfish.

The best episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

where did they go

Let me put it this way, buying a solid padlock is always a good investment.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RC Cola posted:

The best episode.

Agreed.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I remember laughing at this scene even though i had no idea what a dildo was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxJL_fi5teo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Lol grandpa

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Irish Joe posted:

I was 12 when it first came out in 98 I've been watching since the start.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I was 16 and just discovering the joy of smoking lots of pot when South Park came out. It was a good time, been a fan since episode 1 was aired.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

jeez, I was just a baby when season one aired, so I guess the first time I watched South Park was maybe when I was 13... so six years ago

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Goons are making me feel like a grandpa here since I was like goddamn 17 when Cartman first got his anus probed.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I even watched good Simpsons episodes on their first airing. Gramps right here.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I didn't even watch South Park until I was like 17 and the Jonas Brothers/Mickey Mouse episode aired, so as a result old episodes like Mr. Hankey don't do anything for me humor wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It took the UK only about 9 months to pick up on it, which for the 90s wasn't too bad. But I had to suffer through ~10MB RM and ASF copies of the first season which still took hours to download. Some of my friends in the US had told me about these insane new show and it seemed to be cult enough from the get go to be publicly put up online even back then, unlike most shows.

• Locked thread