Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Slaughter posted:

yay, new thread.
This thread is now about wingsuiting into Rio illegally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmvMHPQ1k8

I'm not sure I would be jumping off the back of a WSC trike without the pilot killing the engine first. Well, I personally wouldn't choose to jump, but if I was going to, I'd prefer to eliminate the risk that my big billowy wing suit wouldn't catch and toss me back into the spinning pusher prop.

Also, I so desperately want a WSC trike. Have 1.0 dual in one, so much fun. Like motorcycles in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

It's $69/year, you get your first class medical for less than that? I paid $100 for the last one, I think, and it was 15 minutes.
Also through the 30th it looks like it's $35... I'll probably do that while I figure out if I want to switch or not. It's expensive but it's a pretty drat good app... And honestly it's not very different from them charging $70 a year for a new version since they came out with a new version like... every year.

With features that don't even work for 5 months after release like (the original) iCloud sync.

I'm torn on what to do. $30ish seems reasonable to me. $70 isn't. I just have a hard time playing as much for Logten Pro as for a Foreflight subscription, given how much less useful it is and how much slower Coradine is at releasing useful features. If I upgrade then I probably can't fall back to wifi syncing like I could do now.

Maybe I'll do what I do with Foreflight: watch for iTunes gift cards to go available for 20% off via slickdeals and pretend that's a discount for buying these expensive subscriptions.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Infinotize posted:

I'm rusty on this stuff, but you can log PIC in that aircraft if you are rated to fly it and while you are the sole manipulator of the controls. I'm not even sure if you need the endorsement to log PIC. You can log PIC and instrument time with your friend under the hood, but it's not "instruction" time.

Actually, you said you are working on your PPL - I don't know if any of that is true now, you might need the instructor to log since you are not rated to be at the controls.

As a student pilot tenaciousvigilance will only be able to log PIC time for his solo flights based on 61.51(e)(4) but can't log PIC time otherwise (except for the checkride where he can log PIC due to the weird status the DPE holds as not-PIC and not-Passenger). Once a private pilot ASEL, he doesn't actually need the complex endorsement to log PIC if he's the sole manipulator of the controls even though without the endorsement he's not legal to actually be PIC. And since he needs the other pilot to be the actual PIC, the other pilot can log PIC time too.

At least that's my understanding.

edit: This FAA letter address that. In fact, I don't think you even need a current medical, BFR or recency to log PIC if you are the sole manipulator of the controls, you only need those to act as PIC.

fordan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 21, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Gisnep posted:

In this scenario, the guy acting as PIC doesn't get to log anything.

I was treating it similar to safety pilots who are able to log PIC time via 61.51(e)(1)(iii) while someone else is under the hood since they are required to be there for the flight per 91.109, but 91.109 explicitly calls out the requirement for a second pilot as safety pilot when view-limiting device is used, whereas the lack of a complex endorsement preventing a pilot from acting as PIC and forcing the role of PIC on the other pilot is only implied in 61.31. I still think they'd be able to log it as since the flight requires a legal pilot acting as PIC.

quote:

61.51:
(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-

(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

(ii) When the pilot is the sole occupant in the aircraft;

(iii) When the pilot, except for a holder of a sport or recreational pilot certificate, acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted; or < iv omitted>

quote:

91.109:
(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

quote:

61.31(e):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane, unless the person has--

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and
(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Butt Reactor posted:

If we get ab initio training in the states, it's going to be game over for GA flight training. Let's see how AOPA handles that one.

For Part 141, maybe. Don't think a lot of the pro pilot wannabes come through the Part 61 schools, and at least for my club/school's instructors, feels like a 50/50 mix of time-builders trying to advance vs part-timers doing it for love of aviation.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

azflyboy posted:

From what I've heard, no one has taken the new ATP written yet, since the courses to prep for the written haven't been set up. I think ERAU and one other place (can't remeber where) have been approved to run the courses, but aren't doing so yet.

Sporty's is starting theirs mid-November. http://www.sportys.com/atp

edit: Looks like 4 approved; ERAU in FL & AZ, ABX Air in OH (assuming that's Sporty's), Aerosim Training Solutions in Orlando and CAE SimuFlight in Dallas.

fordan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 3, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

If you use LogTen for logging and decided not to upgrade or have a Mac or an iOS device you might want to log your flight time on in the future, now is a really good time to "purchase" their Mac and iOS app for free. A couple of us bitched about them going to an $80/year subscription model, but their response to our bitching is to drop the subscription price to $50 but charge for the initial purchase of the apps. They're keeping the iOS and Mac apps free until Nov 7 then it jumps to $90, so buying now for $0 if there's a chance you might use it in the future seems like a wise move.

I bought both the Mac and iOS apps and then immediately deleted them since I plan to continue using the old versions, but if I do eventually cave and subscribe in the future this will save me money.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Dolemite posted:

-How common are the light sport airplanes that the SP license restricts you to? I'd hate to get the license and find that very few places offer SP eligible aircraft to rent!
-For anyone here that has a SP license, how long did it take you to get it? Since, well, it seems like a lot of flight schools tout how cheap their prices are for the program. But, if you look at the pricing, they're assuming that you'll get your license in the minimum amount of time the FAA requires.
-With pilot license financing, is it a good idea? Besides life things like losing a job, etc. making it hard to make the monthly payments, are there any other pitfalls of financing?
-The school that I'm considering offers a financing program. This section bugs me: "Please note that the example below is based off the maximum APR of 18%. If you qualify for a Preferred Interest Rate, your payments may be considerable lower."
-If financing pilot training is, in fact, NOT a dumb idea, what is a good lender to go through? Are there alternatives to flight training specific lenders? (Your bank/credit union, etc.)
-What happens if the school were to go out of business after entering in to a financing program? Are you still on the hook for the entirety of the amount borrowed?

LSA aren't anywhere near as common as certified Cessnas/Pipers and the like. On the other hand, you're most likely going to be renting where you're training so if that's close to home, probably not an issue. Renting a plane isn't like renting a car where just having the license is enough; if you travel away from your home FBO and want to rent, the new FBO is pretty likely to want you to fly 1-5 hours with one of their CFIs and get checked out. (I know there's at least one program trying to establish a baseline checkout and if you pass it in a given airplane with a participating club/FBO and travel to a new club/FBO which also participates, no checkout needed.)

Everyone always assume you'll complete in min time. And some people do. But most don't, especially if things like weather/finances/family/aircraft scheduling prevent you from flying 3 or more times per week. Financing a luxury is a bad idea as the others have said, but I can *almost* see it if it means you'll get lessons in more regularly than you otherwise would. But I'd probably use a credit card or home equity loan or the like where I control the money. Don't do any program with the school; if they go out of business (which is not uncommon), you're now out the money with no training. Still a bad idea to finance.

If you do go the Sport Pilot route, ideally look for a CFI who is also a Private Pilot CFI. If at some point in the future you're able to get to Private Pilot due to not needing the meds or FAA becoming more liberal (edit: and AOPA and EAA are pushing to eliminate the 3rd class medical), training hours done with a Sport-only CFI won't count towards a Private Pilot.

Also, in before someone gives the terrible "lie on your medical" advice.

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 12, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I've never seen anything that says ADHD precludes you from getting a medical, it just makes the procedure more of a pain. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to an AME and see what they have to say about it. If they say you won't pass, that doesn't mean you failed... You never took a medical.

Get a student pilot membership to the AOPA, hop on the AOPA forums and ask in the Medical Matters forum. But I'm pretty sure you have to be fully off any psychotropic drugs for a while and then do a several-thousands-of-dollars battery of tests that aren't generally covered by insurance to get your Special Issuance.

fordan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 12, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Only ever flown non-tailwheel Cubs.

Luckily they floated.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

This is a valid excuse. I bet it was a blast.

It was, although I was amused that on the same trip to Florida to get the seaplane rating I also flew 1.0 dual in an aircraft that uses a hang-glider wing that went faster and higher than the seaplane.

But seriously, if you have 2 days to spend in central Florida or anyplace with seaplanes, do the seaplane rating; it's the best way ever to avoid a biennial flight review.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Animal posted:

I'm going to guess Jack Brown's school in Winter Haven

Bingo. I usually try and get over there and do an hour or so with a CFI (since no one rents seaplanes without their CFI on board as far as I've seen) when down in the area for Sun 'n Fun.

The hang glider winged thing was a Revo WSC trike from Evolution Trikes in Zephyrhills. Still so in lust with the Revo; almost impulse purchased one last year at SnF when they had a discounted one that a buyer opted not to get after already putting a deposit down.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

eternalname posted:

From what I understand careers as a pilot are expensive to get into and low paying, I was wondering if anyone here works in aviation management or knows if it is a decent career path.

Being a professional pilot is like being a professional musician or a professional artist: don't do it unless you can't imagine yourself doing anything else for a living since getting to a point where you can actually make an ok living is by no means guaranteed and there are a lot of dues to pay.

Are aviation management degrees really a thing? Running an airline is basically the same as running any other business, just with more bankruptcies. If this was of interest, I'd go to school for a normal business degree. Look into which schools the various airlines do coop/internships with and go to one of those schools and do an internship to help maximize to chances of getting into an airline after graduation.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Chuck Schumer wants to investigate why airfares are still high when oil prices are dropping.

It's almost like the airlines might purchase fuel futures contracts to protect themselves from short-term changes in the price of crude.

If the Republicans had to take the Senate, why couldn't he have been one of the ones swept out? I don't think I've ever seen his name pop up in the center of a news story where I hadn't thought "what the gently caress is he going on about?"

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

He seems like the epitome of that person who claims to be an expert on something, but really has no idea. The perfect example of this is the ATP Law, which he was adamant got through so he could impress those whose ambulances he'd chased. Apparently, he celebrated ROC-ATL going from three M88s to 3 M90s as some sort of triumph, too.

He had some awesome ideas around the Hudson River VFR corridor in which everyone should be on flight plans with ATC controlling all traffic because the altitude separation rules that the NTSB recommended after the helicopter/plane crash weren't enough.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

I need 2-3 more pages of my 20ish page final Erby Diddle Astronomical Universidad capstone paper on how 9/11 changed aviation. And I'm loving out of ideas. So that's what I've been doing all drat week.
Good news is once I poop something out of my brain I'm done with my bachelors and should graduate with 3.99 GPA if I do OK on this final paper.

The concept of TSA as security theater?

The fact that the only real effective positive security changes brought about post-9/11 were reinforced cockpit doors and the "get involved" mentality of passengers as IceLicker said?

The arming of pilots and the US Airways pilot who tried to shoot his ride out from under him by mistake?

How airline finances were impacted by the shutdown and limited load after?

The shutdown of DCA for a good long while, and the requirement for Federal Air Marshals on all flights to/from DCA and the development of the ADIZ/SFRA? And the ADIZ/SFRA's impact on the MD3 airports?

The fact that GA pilots were forbidden to fly over certain areas like nuke plants, but that they couldn't be told where or have them charted because of security?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Don't worry too much about that. Plan the trip for long runways and low density altitude flying. By the time you taxi a bit and get going you'll be under gross the rest of the flight.

What an awesome suggestion to give a student pilot. Especially one about to fly with his instructor. "The Internet told me not to worry about the W&B."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

"Hey, we can't get people to use WingX over Foreflight, maybe if we give it away free to CFIs they'll recommend it to their students!"

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

She can change the ticket to use it at a later date if she's willing to pay the change fee... If it's a non-refundable fare, then the insurance company would really be her only other option.

And by later date, that means all travel completed within a year. And some economy fares don't qualify for changes. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/ticket-changes-refunds/ticket-changes.html

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DNova posted:

There's no solid total cost. $8k-$14k is a reasonable range to assume, all in (including books, modest set of gear, and the written exam + checkride and medical).

And don't pay any flight school upfront for everything all at once; flight schools aren't exactly the most stable businesses around and people have been burned when their school has gone bankrupt with their training money. I mean, buying blocks of flight time in reasonable chunks sure, a fixed sub-$1k amount for ground school ok (although lots of flight schools tell you to do ground school on your own with books or online/video with King Schools or Sportys).

In South Jersey I passed my checkride with 60 hours of training, and aircraft rental + instructor was like $140 (6 years ago though), so I spent like $8400 on flight training (a bit less since some of it is solo), plus $4-500 for King Schools & Jeppesen books for the written, plus headset, fuel sampler, flight bag, charts, other such aviation gadgets. So I did it probably just shy of $10k. I'd expect it to be a bit more expensive up in North Jersey and nowadays. You might be ready for the checkride closer to the 40 hour minimum, but that's a dangerous thing to assume when budgeting.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

It's a Cessna 172. Probably a student pilot (either solo or with instructor) practicing landings and/or tower communications. Might be touch & goes, might be land & taxi back.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The viewers don't know that so the question is a setup to explain that to them.

Or, since its CNN, they probably left out the explanation part.

We train for spontaneous black holes as well.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

azflyboy posted:

I'd advise against getting the Jeppesen private pilot textbook (or really any of their other textbooks), since they're expensive and contain basically the same information as the FAA publications, but with more fluff and pretty pictures added.

Personally I found the fluff and pretty pictures helped for what basically came out to the cost of a bit over an hour of flight/instructor time.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

e.pilot posted:

My club has some DA20s for 99/hr

Downside: not IFR capable so hope it's good weather while you try to build PIC hours.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

vessbot posted:

old salt who does stalls to a full break (where the nose drops on its own terms and not yours)

Wait, there are instructors who have students recover prior to the nose dropping? :stare:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who's ready for Congress to start the outrage train again? Also, 630 TT under his belt, too. Something, something "inexperienced", something "making hasty assumptions", something something "sweeping changes in spite of everything pointing to everyone knowing him being stunned he'd do this and which will inevitably miss the point completely"...

Didn't happen in the US and with only two US citizens killed it means outrage will be muted. Plus there is no law they could have enacted to change the behavior of a Spain to Germany flight. I do wonder if this will impact the 3rd class medical reform AOPA/EAA is trying for, at least the legislative option.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Show us on the doll where Senator Schumer touched you.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some genius Congressman try to add intense psychiatric evaluations to flight physicals in an attempt to say "Look! I'm trying to do a good thing!". As you said, the 3rd class reform just got a hell of a lot more interesting to watch.

But if the pilot had 1500 hours someone probably would have noticed he was crazy in that time!

We already have rules & policies that would have potentially prevented this and I think the media is hammering on that so I honestly think we won't see much action beyond the FAA never ever expanding their SSRI trial and the 3rd class medical reform losing congressional pressure.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

News report on NPR this morning was saying "if he came closer we were prepared to shoot him down..." How much closer to the Capitol can you get? On it?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Last minute road trip to Lakeland for Sun 'N Fun this morning. Report to follow. Possibly terrible pictures.

You missed the Breitling Jet Team, which was an interesting addition. Beautiful graceful jet formation flying, sort of a ballet to the Thunderbird's break dancing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ya, lots of static displays were leaving as we were getting here, too. Sunday is leaving day. :(

The plus side is that this may have saved me from an impulse purchase consisting of roughly 2/3 of what my house costed. I held off on visiting Paradise City until Sunday around noon and the Evolution Trike folks were too busy packing up and getting ready to fly all the way back to Zephyrhills (15nm from Lakeland) to answer questions about the Revo WSC Trike (like why I'd buy a new aircraft without ADS-B out in 2015).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

azflyboy posted:

The wording of the current ADS-B proposal would exempt ultralights, since it only requires ADS-B in airspace that already requires a transponder, and the FAA is going to exempt aircraft that weren't originally certified with electrical systems, so I'd assume that since ultralights are never certified at all, they're probably exempt as well.

To use a motorcycle analogy, the Revo is the Gold Wing of trikes. It isn't even close to meeting the Part 103 ultralight limitations on weight, fuel or speed. It's certified as either a Special Light Sport Aircraft or Experimental Light Sport Aircraft under the LSA consensus process. It does have an electrical system and an optional Mode C transponder.

And being in the northeast, avoiding Mode C veils is pretty challenging, so a transponder (and eventually ADS-B) isn't really optional. And God help me if I wanted to use my secret decoder ring to fly down to College Park in the Washington DC FRZ.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

They seem to have trouble noticing ultralights in the DC FRZ.

Good point. Although I suspect that little incident will speed up the testing and preparation of the aerostats with look-down radar they have at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Anyone feel like flying to LAS tonight?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

Well that's a funny looking 172. Congrats man that's awesome.

Can't you read the plane? That's a 152. Common mistake, they look similar.

Do they cut the back of your combat vest off to commemorate it?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

Is it a far that they have to give a brief to emergency exit pax and find out if you're "willing and able" to assist with a "verbal yes"? Cause for the first time ever I was on a flight where they didn't the other day.

Some airlines are having gate agents ask now when you board with an exit row ticket. Especially since the gate agent can more easily move you to a new seat (assuming any are free)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

That's not that foggy… oh.

Went to the AOPA HQ fly-in today, where FAA Deputy Administrator Michael Whitaker talked about his under one year old private pilot certificate and how over Memorial Day weekend he got a lot more winds than he expected and on his second attempt to land coming home from a cross country porpoised his landing with enough damage to get a visit from the Baltimore FSDO & NTSB and mentioned "I expect I'll be seeing the FSDO guys again for a ride." :monocle:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

If you're looking for something to compare to Ryanair you should look at Spirit Airlines; Southwest usually costs less than the "majors" but isn't really a true budget airline.

Also, don't fly Spirit Airlines.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

AWSEFT posted:

Unless you enjoy being like cattle then shoved in a dog crate.

"Sorry, your flight had a mechanical issue and has been cancelled. We'll have a seat available to get you home in... *checks computer* 3 days. No, sorry, it's not our policy to arrange flights on other airlines even when it's our fault or to provide a hotel."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

But if you treat it like going on a bus and just eat before or bring your own food then there's nothing really to complain about.

Over Memorial Day weekend a friend of mine took Spirit to a music festival. Except apparently Spirit's gate agent or their computer system had issues, because Spirit didn't think she made the outbound flight that she took. So they cancelled her return flight (as all airlines will do). She found this out when she got back to the airport to try and get home. Spirit had sold her seat to someone else, told her she had no reservation and refused to deal with her except to offer to sell her a new ticket for days later. She ended up spending $800 for a last-minute flight on another airline to get home that day.

Don't fly Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

overdesigned posted:

The current hobby drone "guidelines" from the AMA/FAA are actually pretty good--don't fly above 400'AGL, don't fly within 5mi of towered airports without asking tower, don't fly beyond visual range of the operator, don't fly where failure of the drone could injure bystanders. You could make an okay case for good first-person-video equipped drones to be able to fly beyond visual range, but eh, whatever.

The problem is that, as mentioned, people don't follow them because there's no enforcement. So I don't know what the real solution is. Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

Except that non-towered airports have airplanes below 400 feet too (and I believe the FAA rules recognize that and say to contact the airport operator). And I'd argue that FPV is worse for situation awareness. You're focused on wherever the camera is pointing (probably the ground) and even if you heard an airplane you'd not see it in any timely manner.

I think the current rules are ok although they may need to be enforced more by firmware and when you do need to fly higher then requiring training on airspace and coordination to do so.

• Locked thread