Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

tenaciousvigilance posted:

What do you guys think about buying something like this? http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/9194

Anyone use it? Does it help/work well?

I was in a poker tun this weekend and the plane I was in had one of those.

It helped point out traffic that we hadn't heard on the radio yet.

Wont help you if someone has no transponder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

DNova posted:

But we just sort of held our altitude for a little while, the turn leveling out on a northerly track, and eventually the engines throttled back up and the flight progressed like any other. I am still not sure what that was about, but I am guessing it is some sort of very aggressive noise abatement routine.

Perhaps some kind of noise abatement procedure?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

fordan posted:

Experimental Light Sport Aircraft under the LSA

That puts you into the experimental world and would let you get ADS-B cheaper than the current crop of certified solutions.

Many people facing large bills for new transponders are pretty pissed that experimentals can run the cheaper non-TSO transponders while they have to fork out for certified hardware.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

DNova posted:

That means you can never fly in IMC, right?

Just the opposite. You can get incredibly capable avionics that work seamlessly with an autopilot for a fraction of the cost.

Many Experimentals have instrument panels that would make a regional airline pilot jealous.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Just look around for a used handheld. Most have a scanner function.

Keep your fingers off the transmit button.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFIIGdWTEM

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

It is, but my understanding is that more at once and shorter pauses in between means faster progression. Since it's all about building on previously learned skills the more frequently you fly the less time is spent mastering each skill.

I did it in 5 weeks and I started with a GPL. 40 hours in two weeks sounds pretty brutal and the exhaustion will slow down your progress.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I also just bought an airplane and am not going to make you wait like Apollo.

1969 Cherokee 180.
~4000 TTAF
~640 SMOH
Electric trim
Stec 50 autopilot slaved to NAV1
GEM 602 engine monitor
digital tach
Stromscope
30k CAD split two ways in a partnership.

Flew out and got it on Saturday. Managed to get VFR conditions across 3 provinces and 1 state. Just under 800 nm in 8 hours with a nasty headwind most of the way.
My first time behind the wheel was a 4 hour leg between Fredricton and Cornwall.

Here is my partner and I with our ferry pilot somewhere over New Brunswick.

More pictures here.
http://imgur.com/a/j1Ykt

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Burns around 9.5 gallons and hour. Insurance is $1400 a year.

It probably wont beat the hourly price of our current flying club but it is faster and can carry more stuff. More importantly it is at our home airport and readily available.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

That would be great but the manufacturers and retailers are mostly non-us so they will never lift a finger to do that.

It is a tough problem to solve just like it is hard to get people to stop texting/drinking/whatever while driving. At the end of the day you cant stop idiots with laws you can only punish them after they gently caress up.

I am glad that the multirotor/fpv community is moving away from low range/high altitude and has really moved towards low altitude short range racing. It is so much more of a challenge and keeps them away from fullsize traffic.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

I just bought an airplane.

So what the gently caress did you buy? Its been five days stop being such a tease.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like raw power of the 172

This statement has literally never been said before in the history of the world. Fly it at Gross weight ad you will get a very different impression of its power.

I preferred the DA20 over the 152 if you are comparing two seaters. Constant speed prop made more than made up for the difference in power.

Stick > Yoke

Edit: Rigged up a low budget Bluetooth audio system for my plane. Nice to get the alerts from Foreflight through the intercom.

Heading to Oshkosh next week with a pair of freshly minted CPL's.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

https://youtu.be/6Z2CSv2NKN8

Here is my arrival into Oshkosh.

We're were the last plane in before the airport was closed Sunday night so they had us running full speed from Ripon to the downwind.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Most auto conversions derate the peak horsepower considerably. In fact most aircraft engines redline way below the horsepower peak because they wouldn't last if they ran at peak power.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with an avionics tech at Oshkosh. I work in the power industry on electronics so it was nice to speak to someone who was not a salesman.

They were selling ADS-B out equipment and he explained to me how the WAAS GPS source was around $1500.
He really didn't have a good response to what it did differently than one of these. http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-WaterProof-WAAS-Enabled-Receiver/dp/B006PH0GBA

They are using certification costs as an excuse to massively inflate the price of items like this.

Buy an off the shelf WAAS GPS chipset that is rated for high and low temperatures, install it in an alodined aluminum box and put in some nice filter caps and a mil-spec dsub connector. You just increased the value of that chipset by an order of magnitude.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Tide posted:

Why am I looking at Piper Cherokees.....

Why not. They are good cheap aircraft.

Mine got beaten up by hail on Monday. Guy next to me had his fabric hosed up pretty good, every hit took off a quarter sized chunk of paint.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

He is going to add GPS support in the near future as well.

I was going to buy the hardware for a piaware setup so that just gave me more reason to.

Trying to get it to work on 1090es so I can see traffic in Canada. No 978 here.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So much legroom today in the Cherokee.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

You must be shocked that I use such different usernames on websites with similar themes.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Got the bill for my first annual inspection and the hail damaged window repair.

$3200

helno
Jun 19, 2003

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, you're Canadian, meaning this is C$3200, correct?

Correct so 30% less in USD.

We are working on a loss of value claim for the hail damage so I'm keeping my receipts in case they decide they want to pay for individual repairs.

There were a few bigger ticket things that we were already aware of from the pre-purchase inspection (Oil cooler hose AD, Battery box corrosion) but things like a full set of spark plugs and a new battery drove things up quite a bit. Should be considerably cheaper next year now that all the replace after so many years AD's are covered for a while.

Me helping knocked quite a few hours of labour off the bill.

In more positive news the Stratux ADS-B receiver has gotten some press. And they used my 3d printed case in the article.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...-less-than-$120

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The single SDR case is a derivative of an existing minimalist raspberry pi case. I just removed a few bits and added the housing to support the SDR.

Unfortunately the dual SDR case with the GPS/AHRS is going to be about twice as thick but ends up being shorter.

http://imgur.com/a/VZJAV

I started from scratch on the dual case it was fun designing a case to fit the parts pretty tight. The middle layer took several revisions to properly fit and support the SDR's.

Should have the GPS in the next couple of days and I can finish the top part of the case.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

I see you left the plastic bit on your NooElec. Some casemakers have taken the plastic off as it gets really hot (apparently much hotter than the Pi), and just thrown it inside the case. Thoughts? Any chance of hot exposed parts coming in contact with a wire and catching fire?

It doesn't get that hot. Main concern about heat is frequency drift.

The dual case I designed removes the cases to cut down the total size.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

fordan posted:

Alternatively the Revo trike I lust after is Light Sport, but that's definitely not the cheap solution.

If you are a handy person I have seen a few really nice homebrew trikes. Not entirely sure how amateur built fits into LSA's.

Most use Suzuki motors with a reduction gearbox rather than the much more expensive Rotax-912/914.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

When I was renting from a buddy it was dry hobbes.

Might be a pain if you are renting to a bunch of people.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Most people wont lean enough when they don't have gauges because of the roughness with carbureted engines.

the real way to save on fuel when dry renting is to run lower power settings and go slightly slower. Wet rates encourage the opposite of this.

I would just take the guy up and show him how you expect the plane to be flown with regards to leaning. Last owner had a bit of a mixture issue at idle and if you didn't lean on the ground you would have an unhappy engine by the time you taxied to the end of the runway. My cherokee had a similar issue but we were able to correct it unfortunately the other guy couldn't adjust the idle mixture lean enough without having a lovely transition.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Plane was sold a while ago it was a 69 172 with a o-320.

He figured it was an issue with the accelerator pump. In the end it was just easier to leave the idle mixture rich and lean during taxi.

My Cherokee was just set really rich at idle. Perhaps a previous owner lived at high altitude or something but it was set really rich. Engine transitions much better with it set properly but I still lean during taxi because why not.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I rarely watch tv but caught the end of an episode of dangerous flights.

They were trying to find a mechanic to fix the heated windshield in an old plane and were discussing trolling the retirement homes to find someone familiar with the ancient 35 year old plane.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I have flown a total of 3 aircraft that are younger than I am. Two of them were only a couple years and the newest was a Da20.

Oldest is a 1947 cub and I have flown SGS 2-33a serial #3. Average probably ends up around the early 70's.

I'm sure some of you guys have flown older.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Tide posted:

Am I the only person that gets annoyed hearing/reading GA pilots talking and referencing "the mission" when talking about their airplanes and needs? Example, what plane fits the "mission" of flying their kids and family to and fro. I mean, I know what the definition is and it fits, it just irks me.

Defining what capabilities you need is really important when you buy something.

Look up the definition of a mission statement and tell me it does accurately describe what people do when looking to buy a plane.

But feel free to be irked.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

e.pilot posted:

You should 100% wait the two to three years and just buy one outright.

I saved what I could with a 4 year plan to buy a plane. Then a partnership opportunity came and and now I have a much nicer plane two years early.

Partnerships are a great way to cut down the capital and maintenance budget. You probably already have a pool of guys with the flying club.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

There was a shitload of activity on the radio in southwest Ontario.

Went for a rip and heard more people flying than I have since the summer. First nice flying day in a while.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

zapplez posted:

Are there any Ontario private/recreational pilots in this thread? Thinking of starting to take some lessons.

I'm over in Southwestern Ontario. CYKM

helno
Jun 19, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Remember, I'm Canadian.

Where in Canada are you? Might be able to find a glider club if you want to go that route to start.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Pretty lovely considering he was flying an ARdrone. Which is flown with an ipad and weighs less than a pound.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

PT6A posted:

Great news! A plane that had been reported missing with three people on board in BC was found, and all three passengers survived in good condition.

http://ift.tt/1YaZRID

That's why you practice forced approaches and always file a flight plan!

And activate your ELT after you get stuck on a glacier.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

I have officially owned my Cherokee 180 for one year.

I have flown her 86 exceedingly trouble free hours since purchase.

Highest Airport: KSKX - Taos Municipal Aiport (NM)

I'm totaling up my expenses and getting a summary together if anybody wants to read it.

(hint: the cost of the hangar outweighs any other expense)

My Cherokee 180 anniversary was last week.

It has been pretty trouble free as well. Autopilot had a bit of a hiccup last week but it looks like it was just the knob on the heading indicator sticking in.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I solo'd right around the ten hour mark less than a week after getting started.

Ab initio certainly helps with that and having a glider pilots license sped things up quite a bit.

Just for shits and giggles I looked up time before my first solo in my dusty old glider logbook and it was 5 hours and 33 minutes over 27 flights.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Mine has electric trim and miraculously it still works. Manual trim wheel is between the seats.

The auto trim system that takes up most of the service manual looks neat but from what I have heard it is rare to see a plane where it still works.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well I can give you four anecdotes.

A friend of mine finished his CPL over ten years ago. He worked as a flight instructor for a few years then got a job as a flight engineer with Cargojet and was promptly laid off. Worked for Transport Canada running flight simulators for a while. Ended up leaving that job to take a low paying air ambulance job just to get away from TC. At around the ten year make he got hired by Porter.

Next two guys I took to Oshkosh last year. Both were graduates from Sault colleges aviation program and are employed as an air ambulance pilot in a remote area and as a flight instructor respectively.

The young guy who runs the local flying club recently got hired as a flight instructor and can just about pay for the gas to get himself to work. He managed to do it with only $18k in debt by doing most of the flying in the club plane so he has that going for him.

To give a little contrast I took a two year college course and got hired in a skilled trade. I have a stable job and schedule and have enough money to fly my own plane for fun.

If you are married and have a decent job I would not put that on the line to pursue aviation as a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Anecdote number 5.

My Uncle retired from Canadian airlines in 2002.

He had to take a job as a school bus driver to make up for the difference in income when he switched from flying for Austin Airways (one of the old small Canadian regionals) to flying for Canadian circa 1980. Nearly lost his house but it paid off in time.

Aviation is not for the faint of heart.

• Locked thread