Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Spent some time in ND, but never been to NC. I was at Double Eagle full time from January of 2011 until January of 2014, so there's a decent chance we ran into each other if you were there in that timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Aside from one airplane (N404SW, which, I think they've since sold) that seemed to have a personal grudge against me, I enjoyed my time working there.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That's probably a good idea, along with making sure you're pretty familiar with the contents of the Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures Handbook, although the Double Eagle fleet is all six pack, so the glass cockpit stuff won't be super relevant.

If you aren't already, I'd get familiar with the Garmin 430W (how to load/activate approaches, the various pages you'll be using, etc...), since Garmin has a pretty handy 430W simulator available for free online, and their GNS430W pilots guide (available as a free PDF) does a pretty good job walking you through almost everything you'll need to know how to do with the unit.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
CROOKED HILLARY AND HER LIBERAL PHYSICS ARE TRYING TO STEAL THE ELECTION!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Desi posted:

Before I start considering shelling out money for a new headset or getting this one repaired - what do you airline guys use? I'm at 1470 hours as of today and about to start making moves to try and get a gig on some sort of regional aircraft (gunning for a job at SkyRegional on the E175, also looking at Jazz and Porter where I'd be likely on the Q400, maybe wind up at Georgian on the B1900). If getting this thing repaired is not feasible, is there any merit to getting an ANR headset for these gigs, or is it a waste? I figure I can limp these along for the time being unrepaired but its not a long-term solution.

I started out with a basic DC headset on the Q400, and it worked just fine, but I upgraded to a set of A20's about six months ago, and haven't looked back.

Primarily, it's amazing how much nicer the ANR makes life, especially on a loud airplane like the Q400. Since 90% of the flight deck noise on the Q400 in flight is from the windshield wipers (seriously, who thought parking the wipers perpendicular to the airflow was a good idea?), the ANR makes the flight deck far quieter than it was with my old DC's, which makes a big difference on long days or when dealing with a mumbling captain or controllers.

I carry spare batteries with me, but a pair of AA's will comfortably last 30-40 hours before I need to swap them out, and the headset will continue to work if the batteries do quit.

The only downside to the A20 on the Q400 is down to a stupid engineering decision Bombardier made with the airplane, and it's more of an annoyance than a serious problem. Bombardier decided to put the headset jacks on the back wall of the flight deck (for the FO, the plugs are behind their right shoulder), which means the battery box sits on top of a bunch of circuit breakers or gets caught between the seat and avionics rack, but I just use the clips attached to the headset cord to hang it off the overhead rail for the sun visor, which works nicely.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Wait, this is actually a thing? I was on a Horizon jump seat a few months ago and I though the crew was loving with me when they parked the wipers halfway across the windscreen. I guess my sarcasm detector is just totally broken.

Yep. Since the wipers have little posts sticking off them that let the crew see ice buildup, the wipers are required to be left parked in the horizontal position as part of the ice protection system, which makes an impressive amount of noise.

Due to the amount of noise generated by the parked wipers, it isn't uncommon for some captains to "accidentally bump" the wiper switch climbing through 10,000 to shift them more parallel to the airflow and quiet the flight deck down if the weather is going to be VMC.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I saw the earlier post about the gay pilot expo and "I don't fly for CPZ" and found it interesting because a friend of mine is a straight Compass pilot who went to the same event last year to pass out resumes in spite of his sexuality. Common thing?

It's pretty common for people to attend job fairs for the butt-kissing of major airlines they want to get hired at.

Women In Aviation, the Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals, and the National Gay Pilots Association all run job fairs (since they're great money makers), and it's kind of hilarious that most of the attendees are the exact same straight white dudes wearing almost identical suits.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
We have a base in Idaho, so I get to fly with a bunch of nutcase militia types, including at least one guy who got reported to the Secret Service for threatening to shoot Obama.

KodiakRS posted:

"Are you ever going to call for the auto pilot on?"
"Not until you stop gloating about Trump."

...and for the next 45 minutes not a single unnecessary word was said. I'm awaiting the call from pro standards.

As someone who is on a pro standards committee, that's utterly hilarious.

I tend to stick with a rule of "politics and religion don't belong on the flight deck", which generally works pretty well.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 10, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to talk about or do on the deck? Take pictures of your dong at FL40?

I try and find some common ground with whoever I'm flying with. Topics like books, movies, TV, food, things to do in (place name), war stories, etc... are usually enough to cover a trip, and it generally makes life easier on the flight deck. It also helps that our management have managed to piss off essentially the entire pilot group over the last few months, so their latest harebrained scheme for staffing the airline is also a common topic of conversation, since "our management are idiots" isn't controversial here.

The fact that we also run very short stage lengths (mostly under an hour) on the Q400 also helps, since a lot of our flights don't have time for much beyond checklists and briefings anyway.

vessbot posted:

I ... don't get it

At most airlines, if the autopilot is off, the pilot monitoring has to not only run the radios (which they do anyway), but also has to make all of the changes to the FMS and flight guidance (plus various other stuff), which makes their workload a lot higher than it would be with the autopilot engaged.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently I was really dense when I replied, since that managed to go right over my head.:downsgun:

Some of the really grumpy senior guys I flew with were unintentionally hilarious, since they had the exact same set of things they'd bitch about ("Skywest took our jets!", "When we flew the F-28, everything was so much better!", etc...), on every single trip, so I finally got to the point where I'd just light the fuse ("Did you hear Skywest is doing flights to (city name?))", and then see how long they'd go on ranting for.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That sounds like some kind of electrical issue to me, since a fouled plug wouldn't cause the good mag to have zero drop.

If it were a hot mag, the engine would have kept running in the "off" position, so I'm guessing it was something in the switch that wasn't grounding the left mag when the switch was in the "R" position.

That said, it's very possible to have both a fouled plug and an electrical issue, which would give you a bigger drop on one mag and zero drop on the other.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the school lean on the ground at that elevation? When I flew carbureted airplanes in ND and AZ (at 800 and 2400' respectively), the procedure was to lean slightly after engine start, and lean for about peak RPM on runup, which helped keep the plugs clean and never caused any problems that I was aware of.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm sure running the mixture full rich does keep engine temps down, but for something like a Piper or Cessna trainer,the increased fuel burn and fouled plugs have to cost more than whatever wear the slightly cooler oil temperatures might save.

When I instructed, I ground-leaned at density altitudes ranging from -2000ft to +5000ft and never had issues with engine temperatures, so I've never understood why some schools are convinced people are going to burn up an engine if they lean it a bit during runup.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 30, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I successfully passed the oral exam for my captain upgrade this evening. Aside from one question that resulted in the check airman and I citing completely different answers from the same manual, it went really smoothly, and I get a few days off before I start the sims on Monday.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Nice :hfive: Still flying the Trash-8? When are you guys getting those shiny 175s?

Yep, still Dash Trash. At the rate things are going, I'm probably looking at another five years minimum until I could hold the 175 (which would probably require commuting), so I'll probably never fly them here.

I think revenue service for the shiny jets is aimed for May, but the first one is supposed to show up a bit earlier for proving runs and such.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Lean of peak only works on fuel injected engines, and those also require tuned fuel injectors and an engine monitor to work.

For a carbureted engine, the uneven fuel distribution to the cylinders means that running them lean of peak is almost impossible in most cases.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Passed my final sim for the captain upgrade today!

It wasn't my best performance in the sim (apparently I don't get along well with one specific emergency checklist), but I managed to salvage a terrible first leg with a much better second leg, which is why the check airman passed me.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Good news: I passed my upgrade line check, so I'm officially a Q400 captain now.

Bad news: Our management just kicked off a legal battle with the pilots union by deciding to offer a $10k "pre employment bonus" to new hires, in a blatant attempt to ignore the contract they forced us into signing a year ago.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
This was how my second day as an airline captain went:

Show up to the airport, to find that our flight to PDX had been cancelled (due to snow), so we would bring the airplane to SEA instead, with an undetermined number of passengers.

Spend three hours waiting for said passengers to get rebooked, then go out to the airplane to find out that one of the FMS's decided it didn't want to work any longer. Spend about 20 minutes on the phone with maintenance deferring the FMS, then call them back when I realize they missed part of the MEL procedure.

Get passengers on board, push back, deice, start engines, and get presented with a "CABIN DUCT HOT" caution light, despite the fact that we'd never even turned the engine bleeds on.

Call maintenance control again, and get told to return to the gate, which is now occupied.

Make another call to maintenance, who are able to talk me through a reset procedure for the caution light, then have to talk to our dispatcher to make sure we had enough fuel to complete the flight.

Finally take off about four hours late.

On final into SEA, get a caution light indicating that the stick pusher system has failed, followed by two more cautions on the landing rollout indicating that both stall warning systems had also decided to stop working.

Make my fifth call to maintenance for this leg, write up the problem, and get a different airplane.

Take new airplane to Bellingham, hit windshear going there, and constant moderate turbulence on the return flight, which causes a passenger to vomit all over the last few rows of the airplane, as well as one of the flight attendants.

Since our scheduled overnight was now a skating rink, get put into a hotel in Seattle, and finish the day from hell.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I don't recall the exact numbers, but the Q400 requires something like 50% more maintenance than a 175 on a normal basis, and the only way we can reliably dispatch the airplanes is by beating them into submission by throwing a ton of parts at the fleet.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just saw a CRJ-100 over SW Ohio indicating FL470 on FlightRadar24.

I get FR24 is erratic at times, but :lol:.

Pinnacle, is that you?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
SEA will get worse this summer, since the construction on the north satellite will result in some taxiway closures.

Supposedly, Alaska is shifting their schedules around to try and alleviate some of the issues there (by spacing arrivals out to reduce the huge AM and PM rushes), and they're trying to get Delta to do something similar.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
"Quit bitching", since he's just being a dick.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 9, 2017

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

How does that thought process go?

"I'll just park the plane and not tell anyone. I'm sure the school won't think to check the journey logs or dispatch record -- it's the perfect crime!"

The flight school I used to work for had the exact same thing happen, and that's basically what the thought process was.

In our case the student had ties to the House of Saud, so he ended up paying the several thousand dollar overhaul bill in cash.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I discovered a fun new "WTF Bombardier?" feature on the Q400 yesterday.

Apparently, whoever designed the electrical system on the Q400 neglected to include anything to ensure the DC external power only flows one way, so it's possible to end up with a situation where the airplane is attempting to power the airport terminal through the ground power cart.

When this happens, it creates a massive drain on the batteries (but no warning or caution lights on the flight deck), which in turn causes all kinds of fun failure messages to pop up after the first engine is started.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently some of the pilots at my airline have issues with the whole "stay away from the ground" thing, since management has essentially us from flying visual approaches at night for the next 60 days.

This isn't an issue at most of the airports we fly into, but since we also neglected to inform anyone in ATC about this change (management decided we didn't need an ATC liaison any more) , the approach controllers in PDX and SEA now think our pilots are either blind or retarded.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I don't get it either.

Specifically, we're not allowed to accept a visual approach at night until we're established on a published portion of an instrument approach or charted visual, which doesn't work in places like SEA and PDX where they're expecting us accept the visual somewhere between the downwind and a 45 to final.

The memo didn't get into specifics, but it sounds like we had some flights get saved from CFIT by the GPWS going off, and it was happening at airports where there isn't any terrain to deal with.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Do you guys have radar altimeters?

We do, but we don't use the radar altimeter lindication very much, so it's largely there to provide data to the EGPWS setup.

Normally, the only times we look for a specific radar altitude are the DH on a CAT III ILS and during low level windshear escape maneuvers, since the vast majority of our SOP's work off of barometric altitudes.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPZ3261/history/20170328/0436Z/KSNA/KLAX

I did this under 91 last night, absolutely crazy trying to do a 36 mile flight in a jet, haha. Nice 33 kt direct crosswind too in LAX which was challenging when the airplane was 30,000 lbs lighter than normal.

For a number of years, we had a scheduled flight from Pullman, Washington to Lewiston, Idaho (continuing to Seattle after a crew swap), which was about 22nm. I believe the record for that flight stood at somewhere around 7 minutes, but I never managed it in under 10.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Why does my club only provide pledge and paper towels for cleaning off my plane's windshield?

Where I come from I clean windows with windex and newspaper. Is aviation different for some reason?

Light airplane windshields are often made from acrylic plastic, which is lighter than glass (and can be molded into curved shapes), but is also softer and more prone to scratches. In addition to being easier to scratch, acrylic also reacts badly with ammonia (which is commonly used in glass cleaners), since the ammonia causes hazing in the acrylic that can require replacing a very expensive windshield.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Airline politics are fun!

About two years ago, our management insisted that the pilot group had to sign an 8 year contract (with no substantial pay raises) in return for Shiny Jets and not parking 30% of our fleet.

Almost immediately after that agreement was signed, every other regional started raising first year pay and offering bonuses, which meant that our first year pay was $20-30k less than any other regional, and no one wanted to work here.

Since we couldn't get new pilots, management did an end-run around the CBA and union, and began offering a $10k "pre employment bonus" late last year. Since there's no conditions attached to the money, several people have waited for the check to clear and then bailed for other regionals, and we still have almost no new pilots.

Now, management is threatening to defer the 33 Shiny Jet orders our contract guaranteed (or give them to a non-union airline) if the union doesn't allow management to unilaterally change first year pay and bonuses whenever they feel like it, which just further antagonized an already pissed off pilot group.

Hilariously, the before management officially announced the threats, our CEO gave a speech at a university about business ethics and "Doing the right thing".

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That's exactly what it is.

When the contract was being proposed, the union told management that this exact situation was likely to happen, and within a month of the contract being signed (and over a year before it actually kicked in), the industry standard was somewhere around $10/hr higher than we start at, plus signing and retention bonuses.

The previous "final offer" management made to try and fix their mess was to give the existing pilots a $150/yr pay raise beginning in 2018, which went down in flames when the union had us vote on it as a demonstration of how stupid the idea was.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Seriously, what is the deal with pilots and Fox News. :iiam:

It's an industry dominated by old white dudes, that has traditionally drawn a large percentage of said white dudes from the Air Force.

I'm based in Idaho, and we had at least one captain who got a visit from the Secret Service when Obama was in Boise a couple of years ago (and was pissed the company wouldn't give him time off to join the Bundy idiots in Oregon) , since he'd apparently made enough comments about shooting the President to draw some law enforcement attention. I've also flown with several captains who genuinely believe the whole "Benghazi was an inside job by Hillary!" thing, and will spend most of a flight trying to find Alex Jones or Sean Hannity on AM stations along the route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since most light twins have no method of driving the propeller to a lower pitch without engine oil pressure or an accumulator, the propeller should feather itself in that situation.

The only situation where I can see that not happening is if the anti-feather latches were engaged, but as long as the oil pressure was lost fast enough, the propeller would feather before those kicked in.

• Locked thread