Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

DNova posted:

Just tell them about how you feel much older than 16.

Or, "We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

overdesigned posted:

Passed my checkride, I'm now a (NATOPS) instrument-qualified pilot. :feelsgood:

Congrats. Updated OP.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

fordan posted:

Also, don't fly Spirit Airlines.

Unless you enjoy being like cattle then shoved in a dog crate.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

The people who fly Spirit are the ones who will bitch about the experience, but next time they have to fly again (maybe 2 years later) they go right ahead and buy the cheapest ticket again. Which is likely to be Spirit and the circle of life continues.

FWIW its a great airline to fly standby as a flight crew. Their online syatem for checking loads is actually much better than any other carriers, and they are nice to flight crews.

Never ridden on Spirit, even as a non-rev. You're correct about their clientele though.

Everyone bitches about them, some very vocally, yet "Spirit’s profit margin is currently running at 11.7%, just ahead of number two in profitability, Alaska Air Group Inc."

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

Air Tran will always hold a place in my heart as nicest to standby's ever, they really treated you like a VIP.

They really did. Southwest crews were generally nice but AirTran bent over backwards to help and would't hesitate to give you first class.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Anyone know what's up with SKW restricting all their CRJ's to FL350? Did they have a rash of high altitude low speed incidents?

Pinnacle (now Endeavor) also limited the altitude on their CRJ fleet after 3701. Later they carried it over to the -900.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

98% on my CPL written. I didn't study hard enough...

jk :toot:

I can't message you, you cheap bastard!

I was going thru an old post of mine on Reddit and saw you commented on it (before I had your username tagged).

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Message me on Reddit :)
That makes stalking and trolling you harder. :laugh:

e.pilot posted:

Welp I'm officially ASEL Commercial Instrument. Now to start working on CFI. :toot:

:toot:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

azflyboy posted:

One of the best I've seen is an approach in New Hampshire that requires crossing (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE and TATT, with IDEED being the missed approach fix. I think the FAA usually won't approve anything that could be construed as controversial or obscene, but someone managed to put BUXOM (which sits right over a nude beach) on an approach in Portland, OR.

Kilonum posted:

Portsmouth
Yep. Flown that one.

Kilonum posted:

ILS33L at KBOS has NIMOY (as in Leonard) as one of its fixes. And all 5 major pro sports teams have departures named after them (SSOXS [Red Sox], BRUWN [Bruins], CELTK [Celtics], PATSS [Patriots] and REVSS [Revolution]).

Another favorite of mine is an ILS in Lebanon, NH, with, in order, HAMMM, BURGR and FRYYS.
I've flown all of these. You're not on the pilot list, would you like to be added?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

So on the FAA's MedXpress website to apply for a medical it asks "have you seen a health professional in the last 3 years?"
Just the last three years. The easiest way to find dates is to look at your health insurance history. I include everything unless its a cold. I was having sinus infections and included those since they took me out of work.

Just remember:
Box 18: HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?

Is all inclusive. .

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 10, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter, you catching all this? ;)

(His new airline requires hats)

MrYenko posted:

Wear a hat. Not only does it keep the sun out of your eyes, but when you bump your head, it generally saves you from scrapes and cuts to the scalp.

MrChips posted:

And when you make it to the airlines, make sure you wear the captain's hat on your walk-around. That way you don't get yours wet, dirty, dented, etc.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

What a joke.

FAA TFR LIST

FAA posted:

Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there case law or just the FAA citing the pilot and the pilot not contesting it because it would cost a lot to get it in front of a judge?

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/July/Pilot/pe_na

quote:

the FAA admitted the ADS-B broadcast was “incomplete.” The FAA regional administrator wrote that “the FAA attempts to issue a graphical depiction of restricted airspace for the convenience of pilots, the FAA is not required to do so, and the absence of a graphical depiction does not render a published flight restriction invalid.”

the multibillion-dollar ADS-B capability, according to the FAA regional administrator, “is not to be used for real-time navigation, that it is only advisory, and that pilots should contact air traffic control or a FAA Flight Service Station that provides weather and other safety information.”

To make matters worse:

quote:

My use of the EFB to obtain my DUATS briefing was also ruled a violation of FAR 91.103(a) because it was “not an FAA-approved source of preflight and safety of flight information.” Apparently the FAA’s QICP certification of the “reliability, accessibility, and security” of the EFB’s network infrastructure somehow did not apply to retrieving and delivering the FAA-approved DUATS briefings.

I do this daily at work. So between fltplan.com that I sometimes use on my iPad for lack of time, its link to the FAA TFR page (that I always look at), and my onboard ADS-B display, I could still violate a TFR and it'd be my fault.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 27, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

I've flown CRJ-200/700/900. The CRJ-700/900 is like a Mercedez Benz compared to the CRJ-200 (a beat up 97' Camry). The CRJ-200 is not only underpowered, the engines are optimized for lower altitudes, so it climbs and performs like poo poo. It has no FADEC to control the engines so you manually have to adjust them, constantly compensating for asymmetric thrust just like you would on a prop plane. Systems such as hydraulic controls make no sense. As far as the passengers, the CRJ-700/900 has MUCH better air conditioning which makes a huge difference in the summer. I almost stood up and walked away from an Endeavor CRJ-200 last summer during a deadhead, it had a broken pack and I was about to pass out as we waited and waited for push-back. Also two lavatories on the 900 which can be important to some people. The passenger windows are reasonably located in the CRJ-700/900(seriously, who thought of putting the windows down to your elbow level on the CRJ-200?). Seating can be more comfortable depending on your airline's configuration.

In short, the CRJ-200 is trash and needs to be retired.

Awww, you completely skipped the Flap issues, lack of bleed air, and horrible APU.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

Did windshear encounter after takeoff, during final, and while still on the runway tonight.
gently caress. That. poo poo. That is all.

Its more "fun" IRL

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was told by a -200 first officer the windows are down so low because the corporate variants have seats which sit that low. It's a design flaw Canadair didn't address converting it to commercial use.

The -700 and -900 are nice rides, but the Ejets blow them away.

The E170-190. The E135-145 suck worse than a -200.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter is on his first day of IOE in the E170.

I heard he kept his hat on the whole flight.

Edit: You should beg him for the photo of him in his hat and jacket. :)
You can block out your face Slaughter.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

So is pilot pay still garbage? I heard a while ago from that it was a better idea to work in retail or even fast food, or that you needed one of those jobs to supplement your pay if you worked for a major airline. Is this still the situation? Apologies if this has been posted about recently, if anyone could link me to a post about it that would be appreciated.

It hasn't been discussed in detail recently.

Airline Pilot Central is a good place to start when looking at income for different airlines. It is updated frequently and has other information about the companies such as reserve rules, overtime rates, days off, etc

A first year FO at Compass (for example) makes $25/h @ their 75 hours min guarantee (if you fly more then 75 hours a month you make more but their base line is 75 hours of pay (some are more some are less than 75)) comes to about $22,500 then goes $33,300, $35,100, $36,900 years 2,3,4.

Mesa goes $20,064, $26,448, $29,184, $31,008.
PSA goes $21,600, $31,500, $34,200, $35,100.

This assumes you stay an FO. The upgrade at PSA, for example, is <2 year (they require 1000 hours in seat before upgrade which you could have in as little as 13-15 months). If you assume upgrade after 2 years then PSA's pay goes $21,600, $31,500, $61,200, $63,900. While this sounds pretty good, remember that a hiccup can severely ruin this plan. Bankruptcy, mergers, fleet reductions, fleet reallocations, stagnation, terrorism, accidents, etc all directly affect your ability to progress. Some ComAir pilots were FOs for >8 years before they closed.

Personally, I was a regional FO for 7.5 years before jumping ship to corporate/private aviation. At the end of my 7.5 years, I saw a merger that put junior pilots above me during a shrinking fleet, a bankruptcy that cut and capped my pay (I was making $35,100/y when I left), and I was moving away from an upgrade. It was demoralizing. I flew with some great people, got a lot of great experience, and was able to travel more than I would have making $20-30k/y at any other job (assuming you could get a seat and still afford a hotel/rental car on the other end).

I was "lucky" enough to "only" have about $50k in debt when I started flying commercially, some have much more ($120k+), some much less. There is a lot of time and money investment required to make it even to these entry level jobs. I know some guys who still love working for the airlines and will never leave, others, like myself, have left. I know people who left flying completely while still paying on their $80k aviation loan. I chose to stay in aviation because its my passion, I now work for a company that respects me and its refreshing.

All this said, YMMV, the industry is getting ready to see a mass exodus at the top and stagnation may not be a problem for airlines ever again. Majors are hiring again creating movement in the regionals. Regionals are offering bonuses and working on new contracts to attract the limited pool of qualified pilots. It is a an interesting time indeed.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 25, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I didn't crash :words:

I don't think he read what he missed :laugh:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Even those who "made it" are leaving: I have a couple friends who went from instructing to night cargo (Shorts 360)/corporate turboprop (Brasilia) flying to BeechJets and :lol: if they're going to the airlines. I know guys who left Colgan and PSA for corporate-land; one has an employer "who basically owns him" that he had to beg for health insurance but "at least it's not the airlines".

Good corporate jobs are hard to find but they are out there. I got really lucky.

NetJets is hiring again, maybe he can move there and bitch about his crew meals like they do. [PDFs]
NetJets Breakfast Menu
NetJets Lunch Menu
NetJets Dinner Menu

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the rule of thumb for reverser use on RJs?

I flew into PHL twice last week on Air Whiskey CRJs: the first flight landed on 17 and had the crew slam on the brakes to the point where everybody's heads snapped forward with little or no reverser usage to try and make K/not cross 27R. On the way back, we landed on 35 and used somewhat moderate braking to clear on E3 to the ramp. Both these were during the day, about 10AM and 7PM respectively.

Diagram for reference: http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/PHL/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM/pdf

Makes sense to me. 6500 feet isn't a particularly long runway for a CRJ200. Landing on 17 you don't HAVE to stop short of 9L/27R but it saves a lot of taxi time. Landing on 35 there is no distance that affects taxi time so you have more leeway to roll it out. That being said, I used the reversers on most landings in the CRJ despite our books saying to use when needed. Maybe their book says to avoid using it however on that short of a runway I'd use it every time. Also as two_beer_bishes pointed out, one of them could have been defered and they chose not to use them, however one being defered doesn't mean you can't use the working one, it is just uncomfortable.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

As a long time United flyer that just went all in on Delta I can't say I see a difference. In fact so far I prefer United, but that might just be my lack of familiarity with Deltas quirks.

Smisek is a piece of poo poo, but did he make the customer experience any worse than other legacies?

You should try JetBlue. I can't tell you how happy I am when I'm booked a ticket on JetBlue vs anyone else

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Finally! The cockroach might die!

In a federal filing, Great Lakes Aviation officials said the company had defaulted on its loan,

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

http://savvystews.com/2015/10/delta-sues-regional-partner-republic-airways/

quote:

Dear Associates,

This morning we became aware of a complaint filed in Fulton County, GA by Delta Air Lines alleging that Republic was in breach of its contractual obligations under both Delta Connection Agreements (single class and dual class agreements). We issued a press release this morning stating the reality that we have not been served with any such complaint and therefore could not address any specifics being alleged by Delta and confirming our strong belief that Republic is not in breach of any of its Capacity Purchase Agreements with any of its mainline partners, including the aforementioned agreements with Delta.

We finally obtained a copy of the complaint and having now read it, I want to reiterate that we categorically reject Delta’s arguments and we will certainly make the truth clear in our legal response to their complaint. Delta is alleging that both Republic and Shuttle America breached the Agreements by failing to maintain adequate pilot staffing necessary to fulfill Delta’s flights. Delta is also alleging that they have incurred material direct damages, including lost profits on those flights. It’s difficult to imagine that one of the world’s largest airlines, that on October 2 again announced operating results on the favorable end of guidance, has been materially harmed by events Republic has openly worked to mitigate with them for approximately two years. Both Delta Connection Agreements contemplate circumstances where either or both parties may be unable to fully operate schedules and the Agreements spell out specifically and prescriptively what remedies are available to the affected parties. We have been performing within the terms of the Agreements and Delta’s allegations are unfounded.

It is hard to understand what Delta is trying to accomplish with their complaint, and it is certainly even more perplexing considering the cooperation we are receiving from our other airline partners. Perhaps Delta’s true motivations will become clear as the legal process unfolds. Meanwhile, Delta is still our customer and we ask you to continue to treat them and our passengers with the same level of professionalism and care as you have done in the past.

Given all the uncertainty we are dealing with, this legal dispute certainly isn’t helpful from someone we have supported as a valued partner for so many years. However, rest assured we will defend our organization against this meritless claim and will not allow it to distract us from our collective mission in serving the flying public. I appreciate all your patience and fortitude as we work through the challenges that will unfold over the next several weeks. Working together we will stabilize our operations and rebuild our airline to new heights in the future. Please continue to take good care of each other and our guests on board our aircraft.

Peace,

Bryan

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 8, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Holy poo poo I am a CFI now, doesn't feel real.

:toot: :siren: OP Updated

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

This made me laugh:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Kind of a long shot, but anyone in this thread live near KBUF and interested in selling part of their airplane or finding a partner to buy one?

I'm looking for something similar to a Mooney M20C/E/J mainly used for cross countries.

Visit the different FBOs and check their boards. I usually see that kind of stuff on those boards.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

froward posted:

Quick question; it seems like a lot of parts of flight are getting automated (takeoff, landing). What bits of a pilots job are safest from machine?

Also why are there still two pilots on a lot of flights (even short flights!)

Cheers!

Haven't seen an airplane take itself off yet and only a few can competently autoland. Two pilots is really about redundancy, every system in the plane has a backup (and sometimes another backup). Plus, its a lot easier to catch a mistake when there is two of you.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

So Captain and FO displays operate on independent AHRS systems? Is the ADC the same?

No

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

The FAA is transporting a temporary tower from Kansas City, which will help a little bit. These are collapsible tower structures that can be trailered to any location and are fitted with portable tranceivers.

No clue how long the approach control will remain inoperative. Water damage will surely be complicated to fix.

Does it look anything like Nantucket's temporary tower? This thing.... wow.....

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Others have provided good first-hand feedback, but let me give you another. A friend of mine was hired in 2007. He flew there for seven years before realizing he wasn't going to get anywhere and bailed on them despite getting a domicile near his hometown. After some time off, he got on with another regional with supposedly better career progression and is now LAX-based. His commute to work the day we both happened to be in San Diego (me on vacation, his layover) involved travel on UPS via Louisville to Seattle, sleeping in a sleeping bag in the cargo hold on the way there, then picking up his trip in SEA that morning. For his efforts, he'll make $22,500 this year (per AirlinePilotCentral); I showed him a Ralph's grocery in downtown San Diego he might be able to use for food and snacks when he laid over there. For dinner, he bought a tub of newly-clearanced potato wedges from the hot food deli for $1.49 (refusing to let me pay for whatever he bought), quipping "Welcome to the life of a regional airline pilot.". In talking his career, his next company move would be back to the East Coast, to a company he could've been hired by from the beginning. He tried his hardest to take the high road when he spoke, but you could see he wasn't happy.

Worst story I've heard from an Ex-Comair guy.

Most went to Go-Jets and upgraded rather quickly. PSA is hiring street captains now and is east coast based. I have my standards and I understand the ego but at the end of the day, being stuck at the regionals for lack of PIC time (which IMO is incredibly retarded) sucks and is curable if you're willing to sell your soul. Which, BTW, JetBlue/Spirit/Frontier will all hire you if you've sold your soul to some poo poo carrier for PIC, I know some acquaintances that did that.

---------------

In other news, Island flying is fun

--------------

Also
A20 or PFX ?

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 7, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

It's Flight Instructor Renewal Time.

I have a 100% pass rate and am eligible to renew my CFI based on activity and passrate. This requires going to the FSDO and showing my logs. This isn't a problem and I really like my FSDO contact.

OR

I can pay 100 bucks and renew through a 'defensive driver' style course through American Flyers or AOPA or AceCFI.

What say you, other CFIs?

I did the one time fee for lifetime renewals with American Fliers. I've used it 4 times already. It is really easy and lets you do it at your own pace.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Does it punish you by time-delaying your quizzes or whatever?
Two times ago (4 years ago) yes, last year no. YMMV

Rolo posted:

The "notes" section for an upcoming 135 trip states that the client wants to be addressed as "sir."
:jerkbag:
It's not really that bad, even famous people have been 99% cool. Every once in awhile you do get a lady fresh off the first Titanic lifeboat...

vessbot posted:

I wonder what other kind of joys I have to look forward to as I move from flying boxes to big wigs...

Captain Apollo posted:

I wonder if that's in the notes because some other crew forgot to be polite.
Here anytime a client mentions a "problem" it gets tacked onto their notes. I've seen "Inform of ANY possible delays" to "scared of weather, check barf bags" to "check diet coke expirations" to "Make sure to have a <specific newspaper>".
I'd say most are really cool/normal with the few you have to deal with.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

Do any of the New York airports (JFK/LGA/EWR) have visual approaches that have lights on any of the rivers? A United pilot I know said that the Hudson river has lights for an approach but wouldn't specify the airport and I think he's really full of poo poo. I've flown in and out of JFK and LGA a lot and have never heard of this.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks, he said that there was a trail of lights going from the river all the way to the runway to be used for a visual approach at night. He says all sorts of dumb poo poo but I thought this one might actually be possible.
JFK 13L/R Visual approach has lights from the water to the runways. The FAA charts don't list them well (or it has changed) but they are "rabbit like" leading lights to show the base to final. Maybe thats what he is talking about?

Chart posted:

O Lead-in light clusters

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 11, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

There's someone in the South Florida area, or at least someone who flies through here semi-regularly, who keys up on guard, and let's fly with an absolutely perfect Chewbacca, every couple weeks. No other sounds, just Chewie.

I might know this guy. Keep an eye on NK flights.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Please tell him that his color commentary, while officially frowned upon, is loving amazing.

Not sure I've heard this part but in a previous life he did a drat good Chewy often.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

OP Updated. Sorry e.pilot, Tide, and one more (I think). If I missed any please let me know.

I've been stupid busy and my laptop crapped out so I haven't been following along.

Yes I've read Squawk 7700. Regionals are getting DESPERATE, it is incredible to hear my FOs telling me what they are being offered.

I still love the PC12, though below 1,000 AGL you can't make it back to the runway. (Someone was talking about this earlier)

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I should be around to 750 hours by the end of the year, I'm torn if I want to apply for Great Lakes or some other EAS carrier, or wait until I am at 1500 and apply somewhere else.
Are you trying to stay in Colorado?

azflyboy posted:

From what I can tell, the only EAS carrier in anything resembling decent financial shape (outside of some outfits in Alaska) seems to be Cape Air, but they do require 1500hrs for their PIC positions. Places like Ameriflight are also short of pilots right now, but they usually require 135 minimums for their pilots.
CapeAir does hire FOs. The couple people I've met that have worked there didn't gripe about having worked there. I wouldn't go to GLA because its only a matter of time for them. Pay rates are going up and their captain pool will eventually run dry (or they'll hire all the guys with DUIs/violations).

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Holy gently caress I passed - I'm a CFI! :captainpop:

E: That's all I can psychologically muster at this time

E2: op update, CFI - KMTN

Done. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

I learned a cool new word today.

Our "crew meal" scheme in the 135 world is always a total side of the spectrum. One day it's pop ups for 12 hours straight and I'm eating out of our own stock of m&ms and crackers, the next I'm eating someone's 400 dollar plate of fine cheeses they didn't even take out of the cabinet.

I gotta say, it's drat good cheese.

Your company doesn't provide crewmeals?

We have a catering preference form where they'll order us food at our next stop when things pop-up. My company is awesome :3

• Locked thread