Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Thee things struck me about these "two" intro episodes:

1) I get the feeling the narrative itself might be mocking Rin. "There are no other masters at my high schooL", huh?

Rin is always wrong about everything. That was kind of the entire point of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Faithful and enjoyable are entirely different axes that have nothing to do with each other, even if you've enjoyed the source material. Personally I thought this would have been a good opportunity to edit the story down, but apparently the director disagreed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the original prologue was like 3 or 4 hours of reading whittled down to 45 minutes and yet it didn't feel rushed. It was edited down to HELL.

I'm pretty sure most of that was narration setting the scene (and explaining why stuff going was impossible and therefore cool). Although I guess I did forget some of the scenes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Compendium posted:

For someone who's made a ludicrous franchise, he always sounded so laid back to me.

Of course he's just another geek. Type-Moon started out as he and his friends making something in their spare time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

LiquidRain posted:

I stopped watching FSN because I kept wanting to punch Shirou in the face. Is he less punchable this time around?

Depends why you wanted to punch him, but probably.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Randomzx posted:

I think they really missed the opportunity to show something was wrong with Shirou's head when they didn't show Shirou literally cleaning uphis own murder scene..

Yeah, I missed that too. It's pretty important to his characterization. That said, they kind of beat us over the head with it anyway, so I think the viewers understand by now that it's going to be important to his character arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wasn't it because of Avalon, or am I misremembering?

That doesn't make any sense.

For what it's worth her Luck seems be more in the "Chosen One Who Defies Fate" sense than the mundane "Lancer rolled a 1 and critical fumbled" sense. Basically she's too important to die like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

jrdbnta posted:

Context is what separates them for me. Shirou's was internal. It's him (the writer) talking directly at the audience, and I can't stand that kind of laziness. Rin's were in a conversation with Archer. While in her case it doesn't make much sense to talk about stuff she (and Archer) already knows, at least the context of it is bearable.

For better or worse, FSN is a story that takes place inside Shirou's head. What actually happens or even what he does tends to be less important than what he's thinking at the time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

jrdbnta posted:

So? Express thoughts through actions and dialogue between characters.

Maybe you didn't quite understand what I meant when I said the story takes place inside his head.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

jrdbnta posted:

And? This isn't a visual novel. A story that takes place in someone's head is boring (unless we see it).[quote]

And ufotable chose to adapt a visual novel while knowing the risks.

[quote]100% true. I'm not advocating for awkward conversations about things the characters should already know but are explaining to the audience because the writers think we are idiots. What I want is some subtelty.Rin's conversations with Archer in episode zero fit this very well; both knew what they were talking about already, but the flow of the conversation made such exposition make sense. It's all about the context; Shirou telling himself in his head why he does what he does makes no sense, but the earlier part where Taiga spills the beans to Sakura does. That is what I want.

Doing so changes Shirou's character into the kind of person who talks about his darkest, most traumatic memories. The discussion at dinner was clearly Taiga teasing him with an embarrassing childhood memory, and he played along with another teasing joke about being influenced by childish role models, but then we discover afterward that he's still taking that stuff seriously in his most private moments. He takes it dead serious but doesn't expect anyone else to and has no one to talk about it with now that Kiritsugu is dead. That's show-not-tell right there but apparently you missed it completely?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rodyle posted:

That is precisely the case.

Incidentally, she's not completely freaking out because she already saw the marks on his hand earlier. So she's been resigned to him being a master for a few days.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I, also, hoped that Shirou would punch Shinji in the face every time they were in the same scene.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is it just me, or did this episode seem kind of... bad? I mean, I know it's when stuff starts actually happening and maybe it's valuable for that alone, but I felt like they were halfassing it. Like, it was absolutely impossible for the weak skeletons to feel threatening yet they played the exact same "creepy inception noises" every time they were on screen. Actually, I feel like they put all their effort into making sure Saber's brief action scene had all their budget, even though it wasn't really that interesting. This episode was supposed to have "impact" but it really doesn't. Maybe it's because Shinji's laugh is no annoying.

Or maybe it's the censorship? In the VN the students were described as "melting" and it was all horrifying and Rin's reaction made sense. Here you don't feel any of that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have played the VN and I think she's pretty much just boring. I don't really get it either.

I mean, not so boring that I hate her or anything, there's just nothing that stands out and she ends up "generic Servant" by default.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even in HF Rider's basically just Saber-lite, all the loyalty with none of the righteousness. Even her Noble Phantasm ends up being used for beam spam, despite it supposedly being a horse. I can see that she's not, like, the worst character ever or anything, but her portrayal even in HF is pretty much the minimum standard for being a character at all instead of a prop. And frankly, her loyalty and lack of personal ambition is something she shares with at least 2/3 of the other Servants? It doesn't really make her stand out. Nothing does.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

2/3 of those things are "she's actually pretty strong, even though she loses immediately in other routes", and given that her finisher is somehow turning a horse into a laser, her fights are pretty damned boring? I mean, other than that the only I can remember her doing is using "Monstrous Strength" to overpower people with the chain. I have no idea what "advanced tactics" you could possibly be thinking of. She's "loyal and chill when outside combat", something she shares with Berserker, Caster, Lancer, Assassin, and who knows who else.

I guess it's possible some people really really like the sympathetic Medusa twist, but I'm pretty the real explanation involves boobs and costume design.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Variant_Eris posted:

Completely contradicting and/or invalid to the main characters?

"Rules are made to be broken."

That is literally Nasu's writing style: he won't introduce a rule unless it gets broken later.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Variant_Eris posted:

And more importantly, why is Kojirou's hair purple. I can understand Caster, since she's foreign, but Kojirou?

I don't understand the question. Everyone knows foreigners are blonde and pale-skinned, like Gilgamesh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Taiga is more or less Shirou's guardian, legally.

To be honest, I don't understand why they try to hide it (badly) by not using casual names with each other. Why can't she just say "he's like my little brother" and be done with it?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 21, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Well, she calls him "Shirou" without honorifics and he calls her "big sister Fuji" (she hates her name "Taiga"), so they are using casual names with each other

But they "correct" themselves when Rin's around (to "Emiya-kun" and "Fujimura-sensei"). Like they're trying to hide it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shirou has a peculiar form of quantum immortality: if he ever acted even slightly differently he would immediately die for reasons that he couldn't possibly have known ahead of time. So whenever you seem him act stupid, keep in mind that in another timeline there was another Shirou who acted smart and immediately died.

• Locked thread