Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I can't believe the big reveal at the end when it turned out Korra and Asami were actually cousins, what a dramatic turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

The people vs giant robot stuff doesn't really do it for me though, I like Avatar for the magic kung fu so a bunch of episodes this season felt wasted. Kuvira firing from balls of liquid metal was good

I thought the vs. giant robot stuff was okay but overall, I typically agree with this. One of the things I hated about the last season of ATLA was that they went really heavy on everyone being element wizards who did whatever they wanted, and really downplayed/ignored the choreography. Like the Aang/Ozai thing especially was just flying energy blast stuff and it was super disappointing. The choreography I felt was really important to making the action interesting.

I still think this was done pretty well, and I especially loved Kuvira just ripping off the cannon arm the moment it was no longer useful.

Also, Kuvira's suckerpunch Brick is terrific. I don't care if you think she should have been able to stop it or something.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzjXrEiQqQ

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Zedd posted:

I played some Anno today and Anno 2070's menu theme kinda reminded me of it, so here is that if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDFE9F0F-jQ

From Jeremy Zuckerman's soundcloud. Enjoy.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Nichael posted:

Also, regarding the comics, an obvious major thing missing from them is Jeremy Zuckerman's music. His score makes the show.

I haven't really followed Avatar/Korra 'meta' discussion much re: like the studio and the producers and such, but is there a reason that there's no Avatar or Korra soundtrack? Because now that the show's over, if there isn't one already, doesn't that make it less likely we'll ever get one? It would be a real shame to have all that music disappear or become hard to find some day.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I'm dumb. I just kept seeing comments about how 'I hope there's a soundtrack for Book 2 soon' and 'maybe we'll get a soundtrack for book 3' and such, so I hadn't even bothered to look.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sokka dated the moon, Varrick married a woman named Moon, really makes you think...

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Are you a woman?

edit: oh, and by woman I mean someone who was born and grew up as a person of the female sex, and remains so today.
Gosh, what a lovely post.

Are you?

A lot of guys explaining to me how women do with their friends.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Technically Korra and Asami giving lesbianism a shot in the Spirit World and then finding out one or both of them is just not that into it is as valid an interpretation as any other. Just saying.

It isn't really an interpretation if you're not interpreting anything. Technically, you could also assume that they get ambushed by Skeletor and he fires a plasma beam at them which sends them back in time to the Stone Age or something. I mean, TECHNICALLY, there's nothing suggesting this doesn't happen after the series ended.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Andrew_1985 posted:

Surely there's a tumblr dedicated to all the music of Korra we can get copies from right? That is, since there's no soundtrack available to buy anywhere. Any ideas, goons?

The best you're going to get is Jeremy Zuckerman's soundcloud, I think. It is far from complete but still has some very nice bits. You can find other Korra tracks floating around but I haven't found anything resembling complete for Books 2-4.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I love everything about this. I guess Kuvira is my ship. Not Kuvira with anybody, Can you do that?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

There's a firebender under the hood of each one.

Mind you, we never really saw how the fire nation tanks in AtLA were powered, either.

Pretty sure we did? Wasn't waterbenders making use of the steam inside, and earthbenders bending coal both things covered in ATLA?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

I don't think Kuriva shooting at her fiance was out of character. She is a literal hitler, at what point did she ever give the impression her boyfriend was more important than her 'unification'?

A friend pointed out that from Kuvira's reaction you can sort of see where it is actually her recognizing that her fiance is a weakness for her and she's just getting rid of it all at once, and I choose to go with that interpretation. She's abhors/is terrified of weakness. The times when she gets knocked down in a fight, she always sort of resorts to panicked scramble (including BRICK), which is pretty good characterization. Also, ripping the mech arm off as soon as it was useless was pretty cool.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Oh yeah and there's not any creepy anime stuff in it either, never feels fan servicey or misogynist, if that's one of the issues or preconceptions you have with anime at large.

That's my main problem with most anime in general. There's so many horrible conventions that seem to be wedded to the the medium, whether it is fanservice, or incredibly sexist characterizations or just, bleh, lots of stuff. I think the willingness to insert slapstick and weird stuff in places where it really isn't needed is also kind of an issue.

As an example, I loved GitS:SAC, I loved even the pretentious technobabble-with-pseudophilosophy, and so much of the visual presentation and the great music. And it is really devoid of most of the anime mannerisms from the human characters (I can give tachikomas a pass since they're baby-idiot-AI robots, and it is recognized in the show as an irritating quirk by other characters).

But at the same time, you have the Major just plain not wearing pants for like 80% of the show. And people have tried to convince me that 'no, it is totally part of her character,' or 'it is a commentary on cyborg bodies' or whatever. But it just isn't reflected by anything else in the show really. Nobody else does this. Almost nobody reacts to this. etc.

And for the most part, that is an incredibly restrained and sober anime. That is how the medium ends up alienating a lot of people who might otherwise be into it.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 23, 2014

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

To be fair, though, the same complaints can be leveled against comics and video games in the US.
Wonder Woman doesn't wear pants, either.

(It is a valid complaint, in all of those cases, though!)

I mean, if you want me to talk about how comics do a great job alienate potential readers, the discussion would share a lot of similarities.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I mean at that point just come out and say you don't like any of it because of guilt by association, and don't particularly care about any individual show's actual transgressions. That's what 90% of the complaints about it seem to be. Which is fine, but don't act like it's anything else

As for FMA I really think the complaints about the humor are overblown by people going in insisting on finding something to hate. It's a little obnoxious, but compared to like Spongebob or something it's not bad. It's literally a show for 14 year olds. It's not going to be written like Game of Thrones

You're absolutely entitled not to like whatever, but people making stupid statements should be called out on it. If you're coming at this from a feminist perspective that video games, comics, anime, etc, are all terrible, then yes you're right, but if it's just 'anime lol' then people don't make those criticisms of non-Japanese media despite being almost as bad on the whole.

I didn't say I don't like any of it. Almost that entire post was highlighting an anime I do like. And absolutely, games, comics and television and movies and all sorts of fiction still has problems, though I'd argue that the popular forms of those mediums are a lot further along in grappling with it than most anime seems to be.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler when you think about historical dictators, but not all of them were motivated by ethnic ideologies that called for the genocide of the state's own citizens - look at Rome for plenty of examples. Kuvira is way more Sulla than Hitler.

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler because that's where the art direction goes. The art direction for all of the Earth Empire, from haircuts to railguns, to the masks on the troopers and stuff, is all pretty blatant.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Eej posted:

Yeah, reminder that the railgun is literally a Nazi superweapon.

I found the haircuts a little more damning. Hitler Youth cuts were pretty prominent on Bataar Jr.

Which you could argue is just because Sokka is his grandfather (he totally could be...) and Sokka had a similar cut, but that argument falls a little flat when you see like a 1/3 of all of the Earth Empire soldiers have the same cut.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Are you two being serious

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ufarn posted:

Mommy issues all the way down.

Talked this over with some others who'd watched it and we came to a lot of similar notions, but I hadn't even really made the leap to consider how Toph could be indirectly linked to Kuvira, so that's a good point, haha.

People in this thread seem really really hard on ATLA's 'filler', but I think the lack of filler is part of what hurts Korra so much. Everything seems like they never had enough time, and characters never have time to breathe. 'Filler' is a stage where characters do things and interact. Just because it isn't 'plot' doesn't mean it isn't doing anything in service to the narrative. LoK almost feels claustrophobic in comparison to ATLA.

That said, I felt Korra's wandering in Book 4 was really drawn out and never really landed with me, and as hasty as the rest of the Book was, I wonder if that time couldn't have been spent wiser. The stuff in the swamp felt really redundant and not terribly revelatory, especially when you have the later encounter with Zaheer.

Also, really voting in favor of whichever poster said they should never have brought up 're-education camps'. Kuvira could have been handled with a lot more subtlety.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Zaheer Was Right

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The art direction is pretty hard in the direction of Nazis. I refuse to believe it didn't get there without someone directing the artists 'A little more Nazi."

I mean, the substance, whatever. But the aesthetic is clearly pointing you.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I liked Azula most. And I liked Kuvira, what we got of her. And I like Cersei in ASOIAF. I have problems, and a type. I'm sorry.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Eej posted:

Nah, seasons 1-2 are pretty low quality and no amount of upscaling will help you there. Also the first half of season 1 is pretty poop, as someone who marathoned ATLA to catch up with Korra.

Third episode of Season 1 still has what is probably some of my favorite choreography in a fight in ATLA or LOK. The end of Season 2's The Chase might be my actual favorite though.

I really, really like when they get really good focus on fight choreography. And conversely, I really hate when they stop being cool martial arts with element effects, and start being wizards who wave their hands to do magic. Season 3 of ATLA seemed to do the Wizard thing a lot more. Korra had some great choreography, but also seemed to entirely forget fight choreography.

I also liked Spirits a lot more in ATLA, as they were more like individual phenomenon or entities with their own problems that could be rationalized with (after you understood their 'logic') and so on. LOK had a lot of handwaving of 'Spirits are angry!!!!', a lot of generic 'spirits' that get literally handwaved (she literally waves her hands in the air and they palette swap from good to bad).

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 26, 2014

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

HoneyBoy posted:

I didn't like the spirits in Korra, they all looked like minor video game enemies, like out of Psychonauts or something.

None of them were as cool as say, Hei Bai or Koh, they were all just weirdo animals that talked like people.

Yeah, this exactly. I much more liked the Spirits-As-Characters. When Book 2 was announced, I was really excited to think we were going to get Korra adventures with the likes of Hei Bai or Koh.
Aang couldn't ever fight those spirits, he had to talk to them and deal with them. I thought it would make a sensible/good character arc to have Korra face off against entities she couldn't actually beat up, but had to learn how to navigate and deal with like Aang did.

Instead, she gets taught how to literally handwave them and make them Be Good again.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Plus we need to still find out what happened to Sokka, who Firelord Izumi's mom is... All sorts of things!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Bending could allow for all kinds of wacky advancement in all kinds of directions, and not just in obvious ways. Mining in a world with earthbenders could mean that you have access to as much ore of any kind as basically exists in the world, instead of having to go through centuries of prospecting and haphazard, inefficient mining tech. That could make it more feasible to do all sorts of other silly stuff. Like build a giant robot out of platinum

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Say what you will about her, but Kuvira made the trains run on time.

Pretty sure we actually saw it was Asami who made the trains run on time? It was brought up at the start of Season 4!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I don't know, guys, I just don't see it. You guys need to outline context clues and character moments using video, audio, transcripts and still images to maybe convince me. It just seemed rushed to me, is all. Nothing was ever connected or really made sense. It was just really bad writing. You know, no hard feelings that you're imagining things. Maybe you could convince me. :) :) :) We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe. Just... a little rushed. Sort of sudden? I guess I can see what they were trying to do but... Whatever, it was fine. The show was fine. :)

• Locked thread