Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hangedman1984 posted:

Kinda looks like another ruler:

Makes ya think
It makes me think that Mai had an affair with the Earth King and told Zuko the child is his, exactly.

Gotta cement those political alliances Westeros style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nichael posted:

Is anyone able to translate what the new Earth Kingdom logo says?
We can only really see the first and last words clearly, but it looks to me that (actual probable spoilers incoming) the first word is 古 "ancient" and the last word is 統 "rule."

...Or so it may seem, unless we infer some context. 古, which is pronounced "Gu," is probably the phonetic first syllable of Kuvira's name. 總統, "overall-rule," is Chinese for "president."

So I believe the text is actually "President Kuvira."

:getin:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I'm still on the fence about whether to watch this show. I wanted more avatar when this show first came out but seeing that trailer has made me even more apprehensive about watching it. One one hand it looks like some cool stuff has happened and will go down but on the other it feels like ATLA fan fiction.
Quit yer bawlin' and just watch it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He's being sarcastic. It's airing one episode a week.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'all know that wingsuits are a real thing in the real world, right? (As opposed to mechs) (sadly)

If I controlled the winds, making suits like that would be the first drat thing I ever did. It's frankly a shock that it took the Air Nation this long to do it.

(Though being dead might have inhibited it a little)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't know why we're debating the source of the wingsuits when it's so blatant what they're actually ripping off.

Tally ho, fuckers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well I hope no one has anything planned right this moment 'cuz episode one's up on Amazon.com now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

(It's up on Nick.com now as well)

Bryke has mentioned that everything ties together in the end so I'm guessing the Red Lotus isn't out of the game yet.

I'm more worried that Kuvira -- who's really awesome so far -- will pull an Unalaq :saddowns: and ends up being the one who sent the bandits after Kai and Opal, just so the governor has no choice but to turn to her protection.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't understand. That man in the second picture clearly does not have a goatee.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My greatest random inconsequential wish for this season is for Opal to be the one who invents soundbending, by utilizing metalbending techniques she grew up surrounded by.

PaulDirac posted:

So, is it me or do the animations look a little less fluid than they used to? I wasn't quite sure but some of the scenes didn't seem to have as many frames as they should have. Or maybe im mistaken.

Seemed fine to me. Gifs can be terrible at depicting fps correctly, but here are some anyway for reference.

(not that the entire episode looks like that)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Sato posted:

Thinking about it though, haven't Aang and Ikki amplified their voices in the past? I'm not sure if that's formal soundbending though.
Yeah, Tenzin has done it too. The way they did it was pretty much just "use a lot of air to make big loud noise"; real soundbending might be like sonic attacks, a "canary cry," or maybe something like surrounding yourself with a bubble of silence.

I can dream.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Error 404 posted:

I thought the one with the broken horn was Lefty, the Bison that Kai and Opal were riding in this episode.
Naw. Lefty was the baby one Kai befriended three years ago when the airbenders rescued him from the bison eaters.

...Who probably ate Korra's bison.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Suyin's son looks like her husband. You know, his dad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So how much fanart are we allowed to post

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ikki could already airbend. And if she couldn't already, her "gaining" airbending wouldn't surprise anyone because she's Tenzin's daughter.

Now where's that "glad no one here writes the show" post...

gannyGrabber posted:

The real question is: Where the gently caress is Pabu??
With Jinora.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...I'm confused, who do you think Ikki is?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Toph was 12, like Aang.

Why even use Ikki when we already have Jinora? Basically your entire fanfic (if it had to be done) (it doesn't), could be streamlined by simply making Kai the acolyte.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh god don't tell me people actually like Evangelion.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hey did they ever find out what was in the loving basement in Attack on Titan? I'm way behind on the plot.

this is now the anime thread

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh god don't tell me people actually like Catcher in the Rye.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aiight chillax homies I'm here to save the thread

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Legend of Korra, tackling the topics that affect us all

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wait wow they're just straight up airing the episode? Wow :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Excellent episode, but am I the only one who thought Katara was being hella condescending?

"Oh Korra, I understand exactly what you're going through. You think you have it tough? Aang also had it tough!"

Lady, this is why Sokka gave the speeches.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The point is that she had overcome trauma before.
How does that help Korra? Like, this girl's in the intensive care unit trying to learn how to dress herself without help and Katara's like "I know your life sucks right now, but hey, try fighting a war! I've totes been in your shoes before!"

Like, I get the point of the scene, it just felt super patronizing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I see Kuvira the other way around, really. She's not misguided at all, but she's hella antagonistic.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Sato posted:

Apparently tomorrow's episode will focus almost entirely on Korra, Kuvira, and Wu according to the Nick Twitter.
That's just, like, every single important plot, right?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

New ep now on Amazon.

It is wonderful.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was scared for a second that the show was gonna go real GoT for teens when they revealed that Desna and Eska shared a room.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Of course a waterbender would sleep in a bathtub.
What? No they wouldn't! That's hella weird! Desna's hella weird!

nutranurse posted:

You know, it's beyond me why Toph went into law enforcement. She never really struck me as the type to be all about creating/maintaining social order in ATLA (but then again, she was just a kid in that series) and I always imagined her doing something more akin to what Tenzin aspired to do: wander around the world, maybe teaching new benders.

Do we know how the metal bending school was started? Did Toph just show up in Republic City, pull up a giant building out of the earth, and then said "I'm a metal bender, DEAL WITH IT."
It started just as a normal martial arts school located a bit outside Yu Dao (which was the original spot where Republic City began) with a bunch of underdog students. The police of Yu Dao were the ones who approached Toph about learning metalbending.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That all happened. The stuff with the police is happening in the current comic series, where Toph is getting a lot more involved in city ongoings thanks to her baby daddy new love interest Satoru.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like it might happen in some climactic moment like the whole chakra block thing with Aang. It's entirely possible she just outright rejoins her friends while the metal is still stuck in her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know, Bolin's really the last person who should throw any shade at Wu considering that he was Wu three years ago.

(I really like their current plot though)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Next episode preview clip.

They grow up so fast. :911:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think that's simply referring to the Avatar State, that a fully-realized Avatar can access at will.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

"why didn't the eagles just fly Frodo to Mordor?"
:argh: The whole goddamn point of the quest was to be inconspicuous arrrhghgghghgh okay I'm fine :argh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't mind the difficulty of the game, but I wish there were more spots where you could take a break without losing your whole level progress. With so many fights so unforgiving even in normal mode, getting through one single chapter (plus the Naga race thing) could take nearly an hour. The Republic City chapter could honestly be split into three whole different stages.

[/gamereview]

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

We don't have to spoiler-block speculation.

And yeah, if anyone's gonna get evil-spirited, it'll probably be Kuvira. And then, since this season is has gone full-blown Square*Enix about things, they'll get to recreate the climax of Parasite Eve.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone having trouble with the game like I did, buy the health recharge talisman as soon as possible. The game becomes 1/5th as hard it used to be when your health auto-refills over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Legend of Korra suite played live at Paleyfest.

Possible finale musical queue spoilers? Who curs it's loving beautiful.

• Locked thread