Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Augster posted:

Looks like sword-bandit dude was hired:

Other than the armbands, these men do not look alike. Even their hair color is different, unless that was an error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
So, is it me or do the animations look a little less fluid than they used to? I wasn't quite sure but some of the scenes didn't seem to have as many frames as they should have. Or maybe im mistaken.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Kuvira vs bandits fight was a hilariously obvious establishing moment to make her "badass", but I don't even care because it was so good. :allears: It feels a lot more like I actual figured metal benders would fight, instead of the spindle whips they were saddled with in season one.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope Korra finds Toph and is all "OMG Toph! You were on Team Avatar, I've lost my way, what should I do with my life?" and Toph is all "Do what I did: join Earth Rumble"

I doubt meeting Toph would help her. If anything, Toph would just tell Korra to stop whining so much and git gud.

RottenK posted:

Kuvira is very clearly shown to be the antagonist of this season, going "oh boy another benevolent leader who's gonna turn bad what a surprise :smug:" is dumb and obnoxious. The show's not trying to set her up for a surprise villain reveal.

Yeah this. Both this episode and the trailers have made it very clear that Kuvira is an antagonist. Also half the cast openly hates her.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
But should she be THE antagonist? The red lotus has to be good for something.

Ps. Wait, Korra might turn to Zaheer for assistance.

:gonk:

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

PaulDirac posted:

So, is it me or do the animations look a little less fluid than they used to? I wasn't quite sure but some of the scenes didn't seem to have as many frames as they should have. Or maybe im mistaken.

I legit rewatched that first color shot (where you see Tenzin and his family in the crowd) and there wasn't any motion at all, it was a single image being panned. Really hope they didn't cheap out for the last book :(

Sithsaber posted:

He's the only villain to not die (besides Hiroshi who is also back), this is probably happening.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sithsaber posted:

But should she be THE antagonist? The red lotus has to be good for something.

:gonk:

I doubt he'll be an actual villain again, but unless they're keeping him under constant sedation they can't stop Zaheer from meditating. So my guess is that Korra will probably meet him in the spirit world at some point and he'll give her advice on how to deal with Kuvira.

In book 3 the primary antagonists wanted to impose absolute chaos, and now we have an antagonist who wants to impose absolute order. Considering the book title is "Balance", I'm guessing the message is that you have to aim for somewhere in the middle. Hence Zaheer helping to counteract Kuvira.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My greatest random inconsequential wish for this season is for Opal to be the one who invents soundbending, by utilizing metalbending techniques she grew up surrounded by.

PaulDirac posted:

Seemed fine to me. Gifs can be terrible at depicting fps correctly, but here are some anyway for reference.

(not that the entire episode looks like that)

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^^^^

Opal inventing soundbending hadn't occurred to me at all and now I want it a lot. Maybe to break up a family fight like she did last season?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sydin posted:

I doubt he'll be an actual villain again, but unless they're keeping him under constant sedation they can't stop Zaheer from meditating. So my guess is that Korra will probably meet him in the spirit world at some point and he'll give her advice on how to deal with Kuvira.

In book 3 the primary antagonists wanted to impose absolute chaos, and now we have an antagonist who wants to impose absolute order. Considering the book title is "Balance", I'm guessing the message is that you have to aim for somewhere in the middle. Hence Zaheer helping to counteract Kuvira.

While total war would bring renewed tyranny, it would also lead to societal chaos that could birth new technologies and ideologies. My guess is that Zaheer would view all governments equally and assume they'd make a Orwellian deal once a few million people die in "border skirmishes". This is better than simply dumping the red lotus although they could have probably handled the group better by having a few cells working in opposition to Zaheer if he went assassin's creed and offed a secretly collaborating dai li official.

Or they'll say that the militant wing died in the caves, leaving only aimless moles like Unaloq and noise jewelry guy.

E

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sato posted:

^^^^^^^^

Opal inventing soundbending hadn't occurred to me at all and now I want it a lot. Maybe to break up a family fight like she did last season?

Wouldn't this be a form of energybending and therefore something that only the Avatar could do?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rosalind posted:

Wouldn't this be a form of energybending and therefore something that only the Avatar could do?

Everything's energy when you think about it. If you can block chi you can probably activate particles of it that move through the environment.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rosalind posted:

Sound is just the vibration of molecules in a medium (particularly air).

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

RottenK posted:

Kuvira is very clearly shown to be the antagonist of this season, going "oh boy another benevolent leader who's gonna turn bad what a surprise :smug:" is dumb and obnoxious. The show's not trying to set her up for a surprise villain reveal.

Similar surprise villain reveals to Kuvira: Darth Vader, Hitler

Also where was Hiroshi? I thought that was the president?

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 4, 2014

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Others have covered it before me, but it's just a shift change like metalbending itself was to earthbending. If what you suggest is true Aang would have invented metalbending instead of Toph.

Thinking about it though, haven't Aang and Ikki amplified their voices in the past? I'm not sure if that's formal soundbending though.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
One thing I've been wanting to know is what happened to the flying bison with the broken horn Korra picked up in Book 2. Was it just a rental or what?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sato posted:

Thinking about it though, haven't Aang and Ikki amplified their voices in the past? I'm not sure if that's formal soundbending though.
Yeah, Tenzin has done it too. The way they did it was pretty much just "use a lot of air to make big loud noise"; real soundbending might be like sonic attacks, a "canary cry," or maybe something like surrounding yourself with a bubble of silence.

I can dream.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm just hoping next episode has a training montage to get Korra back in the groove. I don't which Rocky montage would work though.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

We know he's back from a screenshot. Not sure what episode.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Oh ok, I thought I had totally missed a scene or something.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

One aside I really want to see touched upon is if Rohan is a bender or not. Just a little thing I hope get explored. I hope the third episode is the Team Avatar reunion, hopefully things aren't too strange between them.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Hiroshi Sato is Asami's dad, former president of Future Industries and bad guy from season 1. The president of Republic City is President Raiko.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Apparently my local cable company pissed off Viacom so now I get this when I try to watch the episode:

I don't even have cable with them is the sad part (although I have internet but I'm guessing it's a geographic block).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

computer parts posted:

Apparently my local cable company pissed off Viacom so now I get this when I try to watch the episode:

I don't even have cable with them is the sad part (although I have internet but I'm guessing it's a geographic block).

Have you tried Hola? That might work.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

computer parts posted:

I got a message like this a few times, just refresh it a bunch. The episode is on other sites now too if that fails.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

computer parts posted:

:allears: Such a diplomatic way of saying "we demanded more money from your cable company and they told us to gently caress off. So we took our ball and went home."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I look forward to Mako just being exasperated about everything over the next two months.

Buy the game, it comes out October 21. :(

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Superstring posted:

Hiroshi Sato is Asami's dad, former president of Future Industries and bad guy from season 1. The president of Republic City is President Raiko.

I am aware, but I was running through my memory of the episode and the only middle aged man I remembered was the president.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Christ, this thread. Once again I am very, very glad none of you are anywhere near this show's writing room.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Buy the game, it comes out October 21. :(

Dont care about story, need playable probending in my life.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Dont care about story, need playable probending in my life.

I wish they did a 3 on 3 online component with 3 players on each side. I'm still getting it, though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

AmiYumi posted:

Christ, this thread. Once again I am very, very glad none of you are anywhere near this show's writing room.

I don't know, I feel like the show would be a lot better if it explored moral grey areas, like "What if fascism was right?"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

Hey now, we made it almost 10 pages before fanfic bending showed up!

I think.

Also if there's anything the first two seasons of this show taught us, it's that this show absolutely shouldn't try to play in grey areas because these guys are not good at it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 4, 2014

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Gnome de plume posted:

One thing I've been wanting to know is what happened to the flying bison with the broken horn Korra picked up in Book 2. Was it just a rental or what?

I've wondered about that as well. Plus the female Fire Sage seemed so happy to be able to present the Avatar with her own flying bison. They had like, and entire herd of them, but by the time Book 3 came along all the airbenders were like 'welp, guess we have to befriend some wild bison'.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gnome de plume posted:

King of Foolians posted:

I've wondered about that as well. Plus the female Fire Sage seemed so happy to be able to present the Avatar with her own flying bison. They had like, and entire herd of them, but by the time Book 3 came along all the airbenders were like 'welp, guess we have to befriend some wild bison'.

I thought the one with the broken horn was Lefty, the Bison that Kai and Opal were riding in this episode.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I have avoided the previews, but I am guessing Toph will train someone, Korra or Lin I guess, to "see" the way Toph can, through vibrations. Then when Kuvira uses her flying metal slap bracelets to blind them, they'll beat her through the power of unexpected feet-seeing.

I hope this time Bolin figures out for himself that the seemingly awesome person he's teamed up with is bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Metropolis posted:

I have avoided the previews, but I am guessing Toph will train someone, Korra or Lin I guess, to "see" the way Toph can, through vibrations. Then when Kuvira uses her flying metal slap bracelets to blind them, they'll beat her through the power of unexpected feet-seeing.

I hope this time Bolin figures out for himself that the seemingly awesome person he's teamed up with is bad.

AmiYumi posted:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metropolis posted:

Lin can already do that, we've seen her do it repeatedly. At least once a season, I want to say. If anything's going to come into play against Kuvira it's going to be Korra's ability to Metalbend, not another new power.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rincewind posted:

I don't know, I feel like the show would be a lot better if it explored moral grey areas, like "What if fascism was right?"

Napoleon was better than the ancien regime.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
This show got a lot darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rincewind posted:

Julius Caesar did nothing wrong; he kicked my ancestors' asses back to the Rhine where they went back to living an barbaric existence :colbert:

• Locked thread