Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I wonder if that's the same voice actor for Kai.

His voice may have broken in between seasons (see recent picture). In AtLA, they had to adjust the pitch of Aang's voice in the last season. You can probably find the series finale ad they had on Nick, narrated by Zach Tyler Eisen who no longer sounds like a little kid. Edit: I think that's the one

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Let's see, we've got Chris Hardwick, Janet Varney, and Maria Bamford. We're one person short of an all Korra episode of @Midnight.

Has PJ Byrne been on @midnight? He'd totally win the internet. At NYCC (here's the panel on YouTube) Bryke mentioned they love his improvising but they have to curb his enthusiasm because he just gives too much for the running time.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Interview with Bryke on TheMarySue.com Some very mild spoilers about a new animal hybrid. Some perspective on the themes of Korra.

They also have newbie reviews of AtLA, up to The Earth King at the moment, for those interested.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Hauldren Collider posted:

Kuvira has the advantage over Unalaq of not explicitly wanting to turn herself into Energybeam Hitlerzilla.

Yet... you never know with the Varrick experiment.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

ftfy

One thing I've always wondered, what became of the Northern Air temple? Is it still a center for invention? Or learning? Is it a museum dedicated to the Machinist and his inventions? Is it still populated by hangliding enthusiasts?

It was destroyed by Ghazan at the end of last season. There were no mechanists or enthusiasts at the time.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

...I must not have been paying attention, or just didn't realise that was supposed to be the Northern temple. There weren't even any pipes!

They made no mention of that past in Legend of Korra. I was suprised they couldn't even say one short sentence to remind the viewers what had happened to the temple in Aang's time.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

hiddenriverninja posted:

Today was the first day I cared about Varrick. good on him for destroying the superweapon.

Varrick was always great, even back in shaky season 2.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
As 3 part anthology of clip shows, the third one is the best. The first two I had to force myself not to fast forward through. Yes, the whole show should have been Varrick's sensational point of view. Still better than a clip-show series finale (for those of us who remember Seinfeld).

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I think it's along the lines of if you see it, you can't say it, and if you say it, you can't see it. Hence talking about killing the Firelord but not doing it, and Jet dying but no one afterward explicitly expressing he got killed by Long Feng. In fact, I don't recall seeing a corpse on the show. You may see them dying, but you never see them dead.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Touché. The one exception. (someone will find a dozen more...)

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Kibayasu posted:

Well if you pull back a bit...

:v:

That was the only time that I can recall though.

I knew that one, but equipment doesn't really count as a corpse.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Another video interview of Mike and Bryan, for those interested.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I guess I'm the only one who is reminded of The King and the Mockingbird with this giant metal Colossus. If Kuvira gets blown away to oblivion, then Bryke will have gone to the original source of anime inspiration. Seriously, without Paul Grimault, Studio Ghibli wouldn't have been what it is...

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Mike and Bryan also want to do other things than Avatar-verse stuff. I wouldn't mind Peanuts-meets-FLCL (as they mentioned on the Nerdist Writers' podcast).

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Guys, the original (yuri) pairing for Korra, before anything about Korra was known except for a name and a silhouette, was Korra-(moon spirit) Yue. And Yue was played by Seychelle Gabriel in the movie that shall not be named. So it all makes sense.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

ImpAtom posted:

1: Mako knew how to Lightning Bend since before the series started. He learned it during his days as a street thug. He's done it throughout the series.It is how he defeated the waterbender member of the Red Lotus.

I do believe Bryan or Mike mentioned that Mako learned lightning bending from Lightning Bolt Zolt (old boss of the Triple Threat Triad) specifically somewhere.

ETA: Apparently, both lightning and lightning redirection from said boss. In the commentaries for the Revelation.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 24, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Has anyone ever noticed that Tenzin's kids eyes follow the Avatar cycle in terms of color? Jinora fire brown, Ikki air grey, Meelo water blueish grey, Rohan earth greyish green. Pema must have some fire nation relatives...

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Being bi is just another way Korra is the opposite of Aang. Aside from all the usual, one can also note that Aang's big bads were firebenders, and Aang fought with the help of spirits. Korra's big bads were waterbenders, a super powerful spirit, an airbender and an earthbender...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1RnAGncBQ

• Locked thread