Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think my favorite gag of this entire season so far is Meelo's unrealistically realistic sketch of Korra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Where does Captain Planet Hitler fall on this scale?

That measures in at like 20 Hitlers. Too much Hitler.

edit: the Hitler is a unit of measurement used to describe the percentage of similarity one shares with World War II German Dictator Adolf Hitler. The standard is set by Original Timeline Adolf Hitler, who measures in at One Hecto-Hitler, or 100 Hitlers. That is, he is 100% similar to Adolf Hitler. To describe the standard Hitler sets as 'one Hitler' and the percentages as 'centi-Hitlers' can be used interchangably with the other terminology.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 5, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Where does King Bradley fall on this scale?
Some physical similarities to Adolf Hitler. Actually the leader of a fascist state. Has "Fuhrer" in his job title. 50 Hitlers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

i drew a pencil moustache on my face. how many hitlers does that make me?
Assuming no other Hitler Similarities, a pencil mustache is worth 2-5 Hitlers

It's a fake mustache though, so half a Hitler

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CeallaSo posted:

I'm possessed by the ghost of der Fuhrer and have begun a campaign of subjugating the weak and infirm and those unlike me, but am otherwise utterly dissimilar to Hitler physically.
Ghost Hitler is worth about 75 Hitlers, along with a number of other Sub-Hitlers who are similar to but not identical to the One True Hitler (OTH), like Time Traveling Hitler

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Clone Hitler with Hitler's Brain?
Probably one of the highest Hitler Coefficients short of the actual Hitler, around a 80 or so, but takes significant dings from the fact that it did not commit suicide in a bunker at the end of World War II and from the fact that it is a clone and not human-born

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rosalind posted:

I think this was a weak point in the writing for sure. The writers could have had Korra going back to Su with something with more purpose. Like what if Kuvira instead said, "Oh yes you're right. You know let me draw up a peace treaty proposal and you can deliver it to Su for me. If she agrees to it, we won't attack." Obviously, the terms would never work but Korra doesn't know that. She thinks Kuvira is the hero that saved her dad. Then Korra gets there and Su has left to go kill Kuvira and obviously the peace treaty won't be happening. Same overall plot, but Korra is handled better.

This coming episode I wouldn't be surprised if we actually see a fight between Korra and Su. Korra isn't convinced that Kuvira is evil at all. She doesn't know about the camps or the death beam or anything else. So Su attempting to assassinate a world leader that saved her father's life is not going to go over well with Korra. I bet Korra actually stops Su from killing Kuvira, the two fight, and Korra subdues Su. It's only after that that Korra learns that Kuvira is actually like 50 Hitlers or whatever she is on the scale.
Only a 20 or so right now, but has a strong potential of rising if she attempts any ethnic cleaning or invades anywhere outside the Earth Kingdom

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Varrick is amazing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

I love how "Equality" is a dirty word in the Avatar universe.
Like it's not a dirty word in real life too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Chakram posted:

Kuvira should probably be actively trying to kill Korra. The next Avatar would be born into her Empire, and under her command.
I'm almost willing to bet that this will be explicitly stated at some point.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Anyone want to tell me which real world martial art is the most like the one where you shoot a loving hadouken?
Krav Maga instructs students to use their environment when in a fight

So I guess grabbing a bottle and hitting a dude over the head with it is kinda like waterbending

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Actually there used to be a martial art that was very similar to waterbending but they stopped using it after the civil rights movement
Well played.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Firelord Ozai would have hosed Korra up beyond repair
Are we talking every-day Ozai or Sozen's Comet Ozai

Because most definitely yes if the latter

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

is rocket boots a non comet power for non-Avatars?

edit: never mind I remember iroh 2
Even if he could do rocket boots normally I doubt he could have had them on all the drat time and flown as fast as he did if it weren't for the comet

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

In Buddhist mythology, they use a big, round number to refer to "a longer period of time than we can/are not supposed to calculate." Like 5000 or 10,000 years. When is the next Buddha coming? 5,000 years. That sort of thing.
So it's kinda like how "a ton" is used in English? In that it has an explicit meaning of 1000 kilograms (approximately, depending on region) but is also colloquially used to mean "a large amount."

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 11, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Blum has range, it's just he's always explicitly asked to use one of like two or three voices.

Also Kuvira's Hitler Number shot up at least 10 on the ethnic cleansing reveal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

Things I hope happen during the inevitable Toph throwdown:

Toph makes fun of the fact they are getting their asses kicked by a blind woman.

Someone remarks that platinum can't be metalbent and Toph shows them that is just because they are bad at metalbending.

Toph sees mechs, remarks she made metal power armor before they were even born, and makes herself into Voltron made out of unwilling powersuits.

Toph goes full Batman and picks the loggers off one by one.
Toph is eventually forced to retreat due to sheer numbers, decides to track down Zuko and Katara and get the gaang back together, go Expendables on this motherfucker

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

meristem posted:

drat it, and I was so good about keeping the expectations low until this point. Now, whatever happens, I'm bound to be disappointed. drat you. drat you to all hells, JT Jag.
You're welcome.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

At some point one of the gaang is in trouble, and the bad guy is suddenly conked by a L-shaped piece of metal flying in from off-camera.

Boomerang always comes back.
A brick joke an entire show and 70 or so in-universe years in the making.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Mako being such a bad boyfriend that two heroines realize they're actually bisexual would be pretty hilarious, and I hope Bolin points it out to Mako as soon as possible and never stops.
This is 100% the entire reason I find a potential Korra/Asami relationship appealing

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ernie. posted:

I for one think it's great that the show producers are going down this direction after the great injustice of never shipping Aang and Sokka right after Aang slapped some rocks into a guy on fire jet feet or something. The poetic beauty of the lineage of airbenders succumbing to their greatest of teachings, love, was what the series truly needed. And I thought we had it, too, when a whole episode was dedicated to the obvious foreshadowing of Sokka learning to use his 'sword'. To the people who think it's unrealstic, allow me to direct you to the fact that as long as Korra wrestles her inner demons, her 'bending' is all sorts of out of shape. Proof, if ever, that she has to relearn 'bending'. All the clues are right in front of us, folks.
Actually Aang/Zuko was the gay ship du jour in original Avatar

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

For real though Varrick/Zhu Li is the only couple I ship and I hope they get back together, preferably via Zhu Li doing a thing and planning to betray Kuvira the entire time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

They did a really good job of setting it up so that it really could go either way.
I assume/hope that she's still ultimately loyal to Varrick (even though he doesn't really deserve her loyalty).
To me, the two of them seem to match the symptoms of interdependency. Zhu Li feels that her purpose is to help a creative, brilliant mind achieve its goals to the fullest. She probably thinks of herself as a muse, not a menial worker or assistant. Meanwhile, Varrick is brilliant, but physically incapable. He needs a pair of hands, as well as someone to keep him focused.

Is it the healthiest sort of relationship? Not really. But they're perfect for eachother.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that, which is why I ultimately hope that she's still loyal to him... I just hope that Varrick's main character growth over this season is learning to be a bit more grateful for/respectful of Zhu Li on a day-to-day basis.
I think it's heading in that direction.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want the culmination of that relationship to be Zhu Li shouting "Varrick! Do the thing!"
In bed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kassad posted:

Or collapse a section of it that's in the middle of nowhere. Bolin could probably just have melted the ground under the wall a couple miles away from that checkpoint. But that wouldn't have been as entertaining as seeing Varrick macgyver an EMP device.
Bolin has gotten really good at using the lava powers, to the point that somehow he's become one of the most combat-competent characters in the show (poo poo no one would have said even last season), but I don't think he's really gotten to the "creative usage" step yet. He just pulls it out when he's already in danger, he's not gonna make a plan centered around his new skills. Bolin has never really been the plan type.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Well when I said creative usage I really meant "he doesn't even think about applying lavabending except in self defense." Which is probably a good thing in order to keep casualties down because lavabending is loving horrifying, but it keeps him from going out of his way to think of applications for his lavabending, like assaulting the walls of a checkpoint with it instead of trying to go through the gate.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sato posted:

I really hope that Nick doesn't view the ratings for Korra as justification that they were right that a female lead wouldn't be successful. Korra's a great protagonist and we tend to not see many like her, so it'd be awful if this show were seen as a cautionary tale.
When you're willing to gently caress with timeslots and aggressively not market something, you can make even the best shows ratings disasters. Fox has proven it again and again, I guess Nick wanted to get in on the party.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Saw it was a clip show, didn't even bother watching it. :(
Take my advice and at least watch the last 10 minutes. It's actually worth it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Entire episode should have been Bolin, Varrick and the refugees. Varrick wasn't around for season one, so it'd start with Bolin's retelling of the events in Republic City, advising them not to work for the Triads, by the way have you heard of the time he saved the President??? Oh and everyone else did stuff too I guess. Mako struck out with both Korra and Asami hahaha. And I guess Amon was a thing too. First ten minutes done, minimum amount of romance drama. Varrick bursts out of the cabin and announces his mover, and the rest of the episode proceeds as we saw it, recapping seasons two and three kinda.

In fact I'm going to pretend that WAS the episode and am actively fabricating memories to that effect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Remember that part where Bolin's voice was dubbed over both Mako and Korra when they played the clip of their breakup

"But watermuffin!" "Don't you watermuffin me!" (Kick table)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PaulDirac posted:

have we really sunk this low? a compilation episode? *sigh*
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/103173899927/a-few-preemptive-words-about-episode-408

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

X_Toad posted:

It's part of the reason why I believe that Unalaq would have worked well as a revolutionary bent on opening the portals and have Harmonic Convergence take place, with the intention of having Korra deal with Vaatu, thus removing the main reason for the separation of both worlds (the Dark Avatar being the result of the forceful possession of Unalaq by Vaatu when the later realizes that he's not match for the Avatar). It looks insane enough that everyone, especially the Avatar, would want to put a stop to it even if Unalaq's intentions are "good". Add in the personal imbalance of Unalaq, and we could have had a "good intentions, wrong methods" villain alongside the ones with twisted ideologies (Amon and Zaheer) and the one who started with good intentions but then went off the rails (Kuvira).
This is basically where everyone wanted Unalaq's character to go. But then this shot happened

And he was 100% mustache-twirling evil with lovely motivations from that point onward.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Can't link, but Korra's Facebook page just announced that this season is gonna start airing on tv again. On Nicktoons, granted, but still airing.
There should be a :nick: emote

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

It has to be Spongebob laughing at our pain.
Spongebob pointing at you, the poster, and laughing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Are they going to delay the finale until the TV run catches up

That'd be amazing and also what I would do if I were entirely in it to harvest the tears of Avatar fans

And then I'd cancel it just before the finale anyway because of the inevitably terrible ratings the re-runs will have.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 24, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rosalind posted:

Wu is way too weak to be a ruler of anything and they haven't portrayed him as having any character growth so far beyond admitting to himself that he's a dweeb. By this point, we would have seen some sort of indication of some inner strength or ability to lead if that's what they were building to. They're going to have a British system where he's the figurehead of the government but really the Earth Kingdom will be a democracy of some stripe.
A Wu who has been humbled enough to understand he needs help to run his country would make an outstanding Head of State, if nothing else. Guy's got pizzazz.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Alright I'm all caught up now.

So far, if Book 4 keeps up the current level of quality (minus the regrettably necessary clip show), I'm gonna be able to say that I solidly prefer Legend of Korra to The Last Air Bender as a TV show. Given the thread title and the history of Korra threads on this board, can I assume this is an extremely unpopular opinion and that I will by duly punished?
Eh.

I think Korra was a more up and down show than The Last Airbender. I'd argue that its highs were higher and its lows were lower. The Last Airbender was a more consistent show, more reliably enjoyable, but I think Korra has produced the better "great moments."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I don't think that any major population centers will actually get spirit-nuked. We will see Kuvira run tests of the bomb's strength to establish it as a threat, maybe wipe out somewhere relatively depopulated, and it'll be defused before she detonates it in Republic City.

• Locked thread