Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Apparently my local cable company pissed off Viacom so now I get this when I try to watch the episode:

I don't even have cable with them is the sad part (although I have internet but I'm guessing it's a geographic block).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Regalingualius posted:

Tenzin and the Ten Terrible Tentacles?

Oh gently caress that probably really is a thing, isn't it? :stonk:

If they're being controlled by Lin Beifong, then yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aggressive pricing posted:

e: also show don't tell, saying the air nation is stretched thin is really weak compared to showing how busy they are, like someone else said, a scene showing a stressed air bending master in some sort of central command would have been great.

And what would you take out to show this scene?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hard to say because I don't know what will pay off later, but something more would have been nice. It also could have explained why Opal and Kai were so useless, by giving the impression they were absolutely exhausted from running around the world getting cats out trees or whatever they do these days.

They weren't useless though? Everything went according to plan except for being hit by a well funded bandit that may (read: will) be funded by Lady Hitler.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They were pretty useless, they stopped three guys, lost the food off the bison, and delivered the contract to Kuvira. The only purpose they really served was to show how hopeless the Earth State's situation was.

Were you one of the people bitching about how Zuko didn't immediately stop the bad guys last season?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm just waiting for the Iron Man armor at this point

They foreshadowed that for a reason last season

Maybe because of the mech suits they showed off in the first episode?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Azipod posted:

I think its a mistake to label Kuvira as fascist since its a western political ideology... you should look more to Asian nationalists movements like the Chinese Kuomintang. I'd wager Kuvira's efforts take a lot of inspiration from Chiang Kai Shek's Northern Expedition.

Asian politics in general tended toward one party authoritarian states though. Kuvira seems to be a mix of the GMD reunification thing as you said, but also the Japanese Imperial Army, which are at least associated with Fascism if nothing else. Arguably that makes her more :hitler: like, because his main gimmick was a one party authoritarian state and taking back the lands lost from a terrible conflict.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sithsaber posted:

3. One of the Chinese warlords actually tried to reinstall the young emperor in order to gain legitimacy. That was a bad call.

I know the Japanese did but I don't know about the Warlord era.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aces High posted:

so was this also the first episode where we heard Zhu Li speak?

Nah, she's spoken before (I'm pretty sure she did during the prison break episode) it's just been a while.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo_Crimson posted:

I seriously want to know what happened between Suyin and Bataar Jr. He was practically going "gently caress you mom, gently caress YOU!" in that little conversation.

It sounds like his dad died.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rincewind posted:

He seemed pretty much like a Galt's Gulch libertarian type, really.

Objectivism is specifically about the people in power being required for society to function. If he was someone of that nature then he would be concerned with preserving the Avatar (and the Earth Queen, etc), as without her society would not be able to function.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

One of the most common and cliche tropes of superheroes is that they find a way to avoid having to make a hard decision (usually involving killing) through a combination of their own abilities and deus ex machinas. Aang's ending is 100% a superhero ending. Like "can this superhero stop the villain without killing them and thus retain his morality" is like 90% of Batman stories these days and like 50% of Superman ones.

And it's usually in some ironic fashion too (i.e., Batman didn't kill the dude but he still beats up poor people so he's not really "moral").

Aang's story doesn't have that but that's only because it's a much more traditional happy kid's ending.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spergatory posted:

Now I'm just imagining a Youtube series called "Does It Bend?" :science:

First episode: the iPhone 6+.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AmiYumi posted:

Hey, thanks for the unlabeled game spoilers in the middle of TV speculation! :thumbsup:

why the gently caress do I even read this thread anymore, jesus christ you are all the worst

Snape kills Dumbledore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Methods of Rationality can at least be defended on the basis that the Harry Potter universe is "our world" in the books, rather than a fantasy realm like Middle Earth or the Avatar world. That alone puts it above poo poo like trying to apply the Periodic Table to bending.

They had Playstations in 1992 so it's obviously not our exact world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sekkira posted:

I agree. Which is why the line bothered me so. I can accept the explanation being 'because magic/bending'. Don't try to apply a half thought out scientific explanation to it which unravels the entire mythos.

Maybe toph was wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RottenK posted:

So basically none of this would've happened if Su wasn't a giant isolationist moron. Good job Su.

Oh, it probably would've. If Su had said okay then she'd be herding cats with the various Earth states and would probably end up with more chaos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Amon is actually a riff on Bane in the Dark Knight Rises, who uses existing tensions to power his movement but is in reality focused on revenge due to daddy issues (Ra's being Bane's metaphorical father).

Notice also that Amon is fully depowered when his "mask" comes off (i.e., the facepaint as well as him masking his bending abilities), much like Bane is when Batman fucks with his mask.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

How can Amon be a riff when season 1 of Korra ended an entire month before TDKR came out

IIRC it was common knowledge that Bane was tied to the League of Shadows long before the movie came out so you don't need to know the particulars of the story to make a similar theme (like, you don't need to know about Talia at all).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sato posted:

Most people in the Avatar universe have no surnames, and those that do use the Western order: think Toph Beifong or Asami Sato. I don't think Zhu Li has a last name.

Speaking of which, how do people get last names in this universe? Do they get to choose one once they become wealthy/influential? Hiroshi was born poor so I don't know if he was born with a last name. Varrick doesn't have one, and neither do any of the monarchs we've seen. Raiko only seems to have a surname as his wife's name is Buttercup Raiko.

Usually it's tied to profession or what geographical area you're from so I imagine there's a village named Raiko somewhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

I can imagine historical revisionists in the Avatar world about 70 or 80 years from LOK arguing vehemently: "No, no, no, that is a myth -- nobody really died in the War that Sozin initiated, so the Fire Nation's actions were entirely justifiable."

"Comfort benders never existed, they were paid for their time."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

If I ever become a crazy eccentric billionaire I'll just waste my fortune away funding kids cartoons without a care about things like demographics and advertisers

This is literally what Laika (the studio behind Coraline and Paranorman) is, except it's a billionaire's son's eccentric habits.

Jesto posted:

Korra is more accomplished than Aang because of the problem of escalating stakes, a problem that's typically everywhere in anime. Goku defeats a bully. Goku defeats a warlord. Goku defeats someone who wants to rule the world. Someone who wants to destroy the world. Someone who is destroying many worlds. Someone who wants to end existence.

Airbender had a single problem to solve: Stop the Fire Nation from expanding their empire to cover the world, a problem serious and vast enough to dedicate three seasons to it. Korra explodes well beyond that in the span of one season, half an Airbender season. The plots deal with someone who wants to destroy bending completely, then on to the physical incarnation of evil that wants to usher in ten-thousand years of death and darkness. :stare: That's when you jump the Goku as a show.

Vaatu honestly still seems like he should have been the climax of the series in terms of scale if he had to exist at all, not sandwiched between Amon and Zaheer.

That works in the show's favor though, because at the end of Season 2 they end up changing existence itself, and then they run with it. Quite often you have a big bad guy at the end and then you never get to see the end result of defeating him beyond the medal scene from Star Wars Episode IV.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AlternateNu posted:

Flipping through YouTube, I remember seeing a video of some weapons otaku/blacksmith guy built a replica of Sokka's sword out of actual meteorite metal he got his hands on, and it was the shittiest sword ever. He had to fold a bunch of tempered steel into it just so it wouldn't snap in two when you swung it.

Too lazy to find the link.

Similarly, socketing rubies into your weapons doesn't make them stronger either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowCatboy posted:

What? The Fire Nation has more of a Qin/Han Chinese style than anything else, though Japanese and Southeast Asian elements were also included. The Qin dynasty centered around a tyrannical king conquering the local nations in the quest to unify the lands under his banner to form the Chinese Empire.

Sounds more like Chin the Conqueror (whose name is literally a pun on Qin).

Japan is the major influence, especially the Meiji Restoration era Japan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Continued examples of "the only good western animated shows are comedies" phenomenon that I really really want to go away some day.

Better that than Death Note.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I know the writers are nice and funny and all but if they knew they had 20ish episodes and we still have dropped poo poo from like the first couple episodes like 'so what was up with those bandits that conveniently attacked after Kuvara had her deal rejected and were using poo poo no random dirt bandits should have like flying machines, huh?' that's a problem with the writing, having five more episodes won't make it magically better. Somehow other shows manage to do better with less.

Maybe they were assuming that people could connect the dots without outright saying it?

You're right that more episodes wouldn't fix that particular issue though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I hope they don't actually mention that on screen so people can add that as another "dropped" plot line.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Water and the first half of Earth corresponds to Air and Spirits in being the first half of the series.

It's almost like the writers consistently don't find their stride till halfway through or something.

I think with a slightly alternate ending people would remember Season 1 better, it's really not that bad.

Like, have Korra do something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbxI9FRseI

and I think it would be thought of as better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stallion Cabana posted:

'Wincest' has been around way before Game of Thrones existed.

Wincest existed after the first episode of Supernatural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wz2KWCixtE

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Tumblr is on the case:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hauldren Collider posted:

I just realized something about the finale. When Hiroshi is cutting into her leg and Kuvira swats him like, well, a mosquito--why didn't she just leave her hand there? Cover the hole? Like, duh.

That was the arm with the cannon on it I thought.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, this is part of why people recommend Fullmetal Alchemist. The author is a woman and the end result is that it probably has more badass women doing things than any given anime around it. (The actual manga adaptation. The first anime does exactly what you say.)

No, the first anime still has their mentor and it has the antagonist be the most clever entity in the entire world.

The whole "Lust falls for someone" plot is kind of contrived, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Oh yeah and there's not any creepy anime stuff in it either, never feels fan servicey or misogynist, if that's one of the issues or preconceptions you have with anime at large.

It is incredibly Steampunk but I guess that's more because it's supposed to be around WW1 but in an alternate world and eventually our world, for the first anime .

e:

Genocyber posted:

Wizardry is their science.

I guess a better way of saying it is that it's like a Brandon Sanderson novel as an anime.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Covok posted:

That's anime filler. You got to read the manga or see Brotherhood for the truth.

I am rather annoyed at Brotherhood but that's mostly because the last 13 episodes aren't on Netflix for some reason.

Even that aside though the pacing was horrid for the last few episodes, especially when they confront the bad guy and then nothing happens from it for another 20 episodes (well, nearly; E28 is "Father" and E45 is "Promised Day").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jesto posted:

The re-education camps really shouldn't have been possible within 100 years of the Dai Li being a thing. It would be like someone in Germany trying to rally support for confiscating all the weapons of a particular group of people and cataloguing them sometime in the past decade. Really? :what:

The camps absolutely ruined Kuvira as a character with motivations. She might as well have been moustache twirling at that point.

I don't think the Dai Li were really a thing outside of Ba Sing Se though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

I was going to post this, actually. Like, the first thing I'd have thought of after seeing a spirit vine go "boom" after being zapped a bit is "Okay, let's put this on a plane", not "Build me a death laser and put it on a robot." I mean, they have planes and airships and so on. What happened to the air force in this world?

Airships you have a reasonable expectation, but it seems like all the planes we saw were WW1 era fighters, not bombers.

Honestly given the test mechanism I was expecting an artillery - it's long range (so you can guard it easily) and it still does massive damage. Make a half dozen of those and spread them out and no one will be able to stop you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Covok posted:

You mean you're not a fan of having a spirit of good and spirit of evil? I guess it really doesn't fit with the series. Probably would have been better a spirit of order and chaos. Both of those are more morally grey due to both having down sides.

He's only really evil in the sense that he doesn't want to protect humanity. I mean yes that's the logical way to define good and evil but it's a selfish definition; it's not like he wanted to end existence or some dumb thing like that (though he did think he could kill Raava once and for all).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh Snapple! posted:

Particularly since Jinora is directly involved in an instance of the show teaching children an awful loving lesson: Working hard doesn't mean poo poo.

Which instance was this? That can be true in context.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss Nomer posted:

This is pretty much how spirits are viewed in Asia as opposed to the west where they are either good or evil and their lives revolve around man.
Spirits have their own motives and sometimes people cross their paths. The outcome could be good, bad, or neutral depending on the spirit's mood. Going out of your way to piss one off is seen as a terrible idea but also thinking that they'll be kind to you just because you're kind to them.
I liked how spirits were presented in Avatar, it felt more authentic

There are some exceptions though (yes technically he was a human originally but it's kind of vague).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Book 2 overall entertained me and I didn't hate it like you guys did, but it is pretty funny that Vaatu says poo poo like "To hate me is to give me breath. To fight me is to give me life." and then Wan beats him by hitting him a lot.

I just assumed it was a demoralizing tactic. There's a character in Diablo 3 that does the same thing and it's pretty funny how every time you slaughter his minions he goes "well, you beat them, but your doom is still certain!!!"

• Locked thread