Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Alright I'm all caught up now.

So far, if Book 4 keeps up the current level of quality (minus the regrettably necessary clip show), I'm gonna be able to say that I solidly prefer Legend of Korra to The Last Air Bender as a TV show. Given the thread title and the history of Korra threads on this board, can I assume this is an extremely unpopular opinion and that I will by duly punished?

Sucks what's happening to the show RE: Nick but I've basically accepted that the Last Air Bender as basically a miracle and that nothing with even the glimmer of mature story telling can survive in western animation, for reasons I will never understand but will always regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can see that. I suppose I value "great moments" over consistency. Though I will say I also think Korra's worst episodes have never been as bad as TLA's. I'll probably never watch "The Great Divide" again. There's no real episode of Korra I feel that way about. Also I really, really like flawed characters so I'm enjoying Korra the most when it's annoying the poo poo out of most goons. I like that Korra actually fucks up a lot and gets kicked in the dirt constantly before she wins. She's still usually saved by Deus ex Machina but she feels like she earns it more than Aang to me.

Also, while I agree with the common sentiment that the show really doesn't get enough episodes in a season to reach its real potential, it generally feels much tighter to me than TLA did. A lot of TLA really was just filler (Great Divide, Avatar Day, The Painted Lady) etc.

I think people would be a lot happier if they liked Korra for what it is, instead of hating it for what it could have been. I'd loving love if it was an hour long serialized drama on HBO or something, but western animation looks like it's just never gonna climb out of that ghetto and Korra is just the best we're going to get in terms of "serious", story driven, western animated TV.

EDIT: Also while I hated on Nick in my last post, I will applaud them for the poo poo they let this TV Y7 kid's show get away with. The Murder-Suicide that ended Amon in Season 1, Zaheer literally stealing a person's breath and suffocating them on screen in Season 3, and the death of his girlfriend (which I think is actually more gruesome for having not been shown. The only way it could have been worse is if there was some horrible wet crunch when the camera turned away). I'd never have believed any network would allow that on a show aimed at 12 year olds.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 25, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

HoneyBoy posted:

God forbid you say the word "kill" though.

It wouldn't be Network oversight/Standards and Practices without really weird, arbitary rules.

I remember seeing in the special feature of one animated show that they could show someone get hit in the head as often as they wanted, but had a very strict "kiss budget".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe Nick deciding it doesn't give a poo poo about the show anymore had benefits?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There are no whites, blacks, or asians in Korra. Look at their facial features. They are all just animes.

Regalingualius posted:

Why not Korra/Korra/Korra?

So am I the only one that thinks glowy-eyed Korra isn't actually just a PTSD manifestation and is actually Raava trying to tell her something?

Stupid crackpot theory that is thematically inappropriate and impossible to develop in the remaining episodes: Raava is tired of the Avatar cycle and wants Korra to lose while in the Avatar state so she can get the gently caress out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RottenK posted:

Raava is suicidal?

Can Raava actually die? I'd think she'd just be an unbound spirit again rather than dead.

Baron Bifford posted:

It is stupid because Raava had a chance to do that at the end of Season 2 but chose to re-bond to Korra.

Yeah probably. I guess she could have changed her mind since then.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really don't think there's any more just cassus belli than that.

She just declared the Earth Empire way too soon and is in danger of going over her infamy limit.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Kuvira has the wisdom of the falcon and she will lead her Earthbenders.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Avatar didn't really have any backstory in the first series. They were just the Avatar because.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Fair enough. I just read "original conception of the Avatar" differently from how you intended it I guess.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess that's really notable in the world where for some reason they don't have any firearms or explosives.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm honestly kinda worried they'll kill off Korra in the last episode, and I don't know why.

Jackard posted:

Varrick will fly it out over the bay on a spirit bison, allowing it to detonate mostly harmlessly

Truly, he did the thing that day.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh. Well, maybe in the darker reboot with an Earth Kingdom avatar (10+ years from now when network interest has returned).

I just hope Avatar Korra features a more satisfying conclusion than the Aang vs. Ozai fight. Yes yes blah blah "thematically appropriate", "they were never going to let a 12 year old actually kill a guy", etc. Still thought it was a cop out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
As long as the only city that's nuked is Ba Sing Se. What a worthless shithole.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If the best thing Korra does in the series is die, then we're never ever going to live down the "Korra is the worst Avatar ever" thing from the considerable part of the fanbase with a rabid hatred for the character.

Although I guess that wasn't going to happen anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So...maybe Raava really did decide she wants out?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At most she's bi. I mean come on, you think she was attracted to Mako for his personality?

Incidentally, while I do think it would be pretty interesting if Korra actually had a thing for Asami, it's way too late to set something like that up and not make it feel really artificial.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This thread is bad but it's still better than any other place to discuss Korra.

...What the hell is wrong with the Avatar fanbase?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

HoneyBoy posted:

Adults watching children's cartoons

I've seen this plenty of times and it's never quite this obnoxious. See: 1/3rd of the discussion of Korra most places being generated by people who absolutely hate the show but are still watching it four seasons in.

Episode 9 spoilers I was surprised that it was every other leader going all Chamberlain in regards to Kuvira and not Raiko

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not at all convinced Korra is completely over all her issues anyway. Last time we were meant to think that Kuvira utterly demolished her. Plus this episode had at least one line that seemed to be the writers saying "She's still not over it, just getting better."

The final antagonist of this series is still gonna be Korra herself and she won't bring Kuvira into an utter beat down until she's finished things with her doubts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Further reflection on how the writers for each series have had to somehow tone down/restrict the Avatar to prevent them from Avatar-stating their way through every problem, combined with the Red Lotus plan to kidnap and brainwash the Avatar in her youth, has made me realize that an Avatar series where the Avatar is actually the main antagonist could be really interesting. A shame we won't get another series for a long, long time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So I'm the only one that likes Legend of Korra better than The Last Airbender, right?

BrianWilly posted:

The episode was pretty great, though it kinda sucks that I couldn't get my mind off the whole animation budget thing the whole time I was watching. Now that we know there have been budget crunches, I just can't help but get fixated on that kind of stuff.

It's great that Zaheer actually got confronted with the ramifications of killing the Earth Queen. And Janet Varney acted the hell out of that confrontation.
I enjoyed that confrontation but felt it was way too short. Probably because of the budget cuts and clip show preventing them from doing as much with this as they'd have liked. It hit every note it needed too, and that's it. It was over.

Also am I the only one that's amused by the thought that Zaheer would probably have been a better airbending master for Korra then Tentzin?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ETB posted:

That council meeting was screaming "Iraq!"

I'm not seeing the parallels.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

If you're calling that a right-wing slant then TLA also had a fairly right-wing slant. The characters there in fact actively engaged in a preemptive attack to assassinate the leader of a country, and people who didn't wish to engage in further war with the fire nation were shown as naive or foolish.

Don't forget the long series of conversations between Aang and the previous Avatars where Roku was like "I really hosed up by not just killing Sozin." and Kyoshi going "What the hell is wrong with you, just kill Ozai."

Besides...a pre-emptive strike seems pretty justified to me here. The Republic is former Earth Kingdom territory. Kuvira is gonna want that. Unless you're taking the moral position that a pre-emptive strike is never justified under any circumstances, which seems to be Tintzin's position.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is it really a pre-emptive strike when Kuvira's already gone "gently caress ALL Y'ALL" and taken over ZaofuPoland?

If the powers doing the strike have not been directly attacked, it's a pre-emptive strike by definition, I think.

Steensma posted:

I think that the show also has a habit of presenting decisions without commenting explicitly on the morality of them, and that may drive certain viewers up a wall. Though Lin, Opal, and Bolin are going on a top-secret rescue mission, the show is not presenting that as an entirely heroic pursuit. And it's similarly not evil or obstructionist of Tenzin and the Fire Lord to be against attacking Kuvira, that's simply how they feel.

If the show made a habit of explicitly telling me who was and wasn't moral I wouldn't watch it probably. It's enough of a kid's show as it is.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess it is right wing in the sense that military interventionism in general is viewed as right wing.

Maybe everything the right wing says isn't evil to its core and we need to find some sort of balance between the various

eh nevermind.

Kassad posted:

If the Earth Kingdom/Empire is not-China, Zaofu's more like not-Tibet, a province that broke away in times of turmoil and refused to return into the fold. Kuvira still hasn't attacked any place outside her country's borders, which are apparently accepted by everyone else.

Except for President Raiko, whose entire nation is built on old Earth Kingdom territory.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 28, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Could never happen on the show of course, because tongue kissing.

It's really weird you can suffocate someone on screen in a kid's show but not have two characters french.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no tongue in that kiss.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think after getting kicked into the dirt so many times, Korra really really needs to solve this one herself.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Regardless of what happens I'd imagine the thread would continue for some time after the finale to talk about how awful the show is, or how miraculously the finale saved the show.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah probably. The finale would have to be at least twice as good as Avatar: The Last Airbender's for people not to hate it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You mean it isn't?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I could swear I remember posts from the show creators somewhere talking about work they were doing on the series finale all the way back when Book 2 was still airing. Maybe the budget cuts didn't affect the finale.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

iSheep posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up.

Anyone notice that some of the VA work this episode sounded like is was phoned in? As in literally phoned in?

Its super obvious with Lin. And some bits of Bolin's dialogue too. Incredibly muffled compared to the other lines. I guess this could be another indicator of budget cuts.

Good episode though. Everything moves a bit too quick, I wish they could have more time to flesh out storylines but :(

I suspect this episode might have been redone somewhat due to the need for the previous episode to be a clip show. They might have had to change the script and re-record stuff in a hurry.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Apparently this applies to the Rules Of Capitalization Too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Torquemadras posted:

Anyways, I liked the episode. :toot: Not too much action, but some very nice moments.
Of course, big fan of Zaheer's reappearance. I loved that he is obviously still utterly convinced he was right - and he's smug about it, too.

As soon as Korra mentions Kuvira, Zaheer gets a really sad look on his face. I think he might have SOME regrets.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

I liked the part where Zaheer almost seemed to feel doubt and regret over his role in Kuvira's rise to power. I doubt he wouldn't kill the Earth Queen all over again, but it was a bit of a crack in his "ha I'm so great" persona.

I maintain that the assassination of the Earth Queen was actually a good thing. The Earth Kingdom seemed to be pretty much falling apart even before she was dead.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Are you not hugged by your friends very often?

I can't speak for him but no, I'm not. I don't really like being hugged.

It's totally in character for Korra to do it though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It never ceases to amaze me how many spent neurotransmitters people use justifying ATLA's finale while simultaneously mercilessly attacking every flaw in LoK.

Audience good will is truly the most important thing in entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

holy poo poo this is real

I've never seen the movie but holy poo poo. Just...holy poo poo. This looks more ridiculous than the loving Dragon Ball movie.

• Locked thread