Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My money's on Korra rejoining with someone, whether it's Bolin or Mako or Tenzin or Lin I don't know but I'm betting she'll end up running into them somehow with the poison still insider her during a fight and being more of a liability than an asset.

Also, holy poo poo Toph, could you really not go easy on her while she had poison inside of her for three years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope Mako shoots lightning more often this season once they get to the fights. I literally forgot that he could do that the whole season because he made no use of it except once and it totally worked then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, she got fixed already. Well drat, I guess that the mercury was pretty much the only problem. I was expecting her Avatar State version of herself to be a much bigger problem in the series but oh well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It haunted her around the world for six months.

The way it worked in the episode kinda felt like kinda just stopped being an issue immediately is all. I dunno. I don't have a lot of introspection or analyzation on the episodes anyway so whatever's on the surface is basically all I'm getting out of it. I was just really expecting something different to resolving that is all. Like

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, I think it'd be neat if her PTSD wasn't banished completely. If it came back to haunt her later on, but she'd work through it and struggle onwards despite it.

Something kinda like that but just for her Avatar state stalker version of herself. She'd get the poison out and be feeling great and manage to actually fight someone and win again but then she'd see it again and realize that there's something else going on besides it just being poison and fear. I dunno. But I was expecting something totally different and I don't think that I really got what was going on anymore?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, now that the thread quality is going droopy-eyed I can say that I wished that Korra's avatar-state nightmare-stalker would've been Raava. Then in the eventual fight with Kuvira she acts as her Stand. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zedd posted:

:2bong: Korra is going to get spirit-lasered and go like, beyond the avatar state. This also restores the past lives :2bong:

It's gonna be like the last part of the first season where without any other bending available she'll be able to Airbend. Only all that energy is gonna overcharge her to the point that she can even change into her past selves like Aang did with Kyoshi and Roku.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Zhu Lee has been through so much crap for Varrick. Why would she suddenly turn on him now?

Because Kuvira has an army and since she was Varrick's assistant and probably did all the work anyway, she probably knows how to re-setup those machines again for the spirit vine lasers?

That's my guess at least, I dunno what else to assume.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Avatar state Aang also laid out Ozai like a total chump, despite Ozai easily being one of the strongest benders in the world at time time, and also working with super enhanced bending as a result of the comet.

You just can't have your main character walking around with that level of power, because if you did there would be no story.

Sydin posted:

But yeah, my point is that if you're going to have something like the avatar state, you have to either contrive reasons that it can't be used, or massively scale up the power of the antagonists, because otherwise it becomes an instant-win button that destroys the narrative.

And if you do it badly enough you end up with Naruto.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pomp posted:

"Oh, is this your roommate?" - Literally every straight person when they meet a lesbian's girlfriend

"Wow, I didn't know you were French!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

I think good bending is supposed to be really difficult, so that would be like asking "why don't cops just shoot out the four tyres of a car immediately and not deal with collateral damage?"

Wait a second, why don't the cops just tear the cars apart though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kassad posted:

The people in the car would keep moving at 50mph (or whatever) even as the car fell to pieces under them. It wouldn't be pretty.

Edit: Of course, making the car crash isn't great either but earthbending shows that people in the Avatar universe are very resistant to blunt force trauma!

In a show that showed injuries consistently, yeah maybe. In this one they'd just roll around a lot and pass out. Of course, they could also just bend the wheels off and peel the car open after it skids to a stop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jaden Smith can't stop the RULES OF NATURE though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tbh I was hoping that someone would hug Toph and crack her back and then she'd go 'Huh, suddenly I wanna smash some chumps.' for some reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Super.Jesus posted:

Still, it's nice to know that it's not a meta thing and benders actually got weaker over the years. Toph iced all those mechs instantly in one move...

Man, imagine what Bumi would've been like if ATLA took place forty years into the war instead of a hundred.

In It For The Tank posted:

In the finale, Kuvira will blast Toph into a boulder and a conveniently placed jagged rock will crack her back for her.

She'll also turn out to be freakishly ripped as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

As we all know, unfortunately there are only two weeks left

of Makani comics

Holy cow

"makanidotdot posted:

uh it's that timon and pumbaa part in the lion king

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

Yea this whole series is about magical kungfu and I don't see how a giant mech is supposed to deliver on that.

What was so hard about sticking with the railways? Transporting an imperial army in record time is why Kuvira built them in the first place and a railgun just makes them even better

I wonder what possible use a giant robot that towers over mountains could have in an army. Or the effect that might have on the opposing army seeing that come walking up to the battlefield.

They desperately need to use the fact that Bolin can lavabend now. A lot of problems could be solved by just using Earthbending differently than just throwing big rocks at things. Like pinning those tanks in place for one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

The Earth-Bending whack-a-mole between the two armies constantly popping up and knocking down barriers would be amusing for the first five minutes but after that it would lose any emotional impact.

It's a shame that Toph never managed to teach anyone aside from Aang to constantly see with their feet. No one would expect an underground attack!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I think Lin and Suyin can both do that, actually.

I meant constantly like Toph does. Without having to stomp. Aang did it at the finale when Ozai tried to sneak attack him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Metalbenders in general should definitely be super extra vulnerable to lightning. Opal and Lin really shoulda brought Mako instead of Bolin to their murder attempts.

Remember that time the Equalists disabled the entire police force and Tenzin with their shock gauntlets?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hahahahaha, Bolin the Echidna

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

..............wait.......what? :psyduck:

Is this...fakepost? I can't even tell anymore...?

People aren't as big fans of the ending with the Aang fight because there was a lot of just floating around in an element ball instead of sick-rear end kung-fu poo poo.

StrifeHira posted:

Nah, Korra should've walked into the portal with her avatar state and kissed her to confuse the poo poo out of everyone. That will get people talkin' about the ending. :v:

Man, there's gonna be lots of hilarious edits to that scene to come. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it was kind of disappointing but thematically I think it worked out. It was more about Aang embracing being the Avatar and the power that it entails and less about kung-fu. Until that point he kind of feared the avatar state because he couldn't fully control it. During that whole sequence he was fully in control thus a complete Avatar. Probably why the episode is titled "Avatar Aang".

I want it to be clear that the Aang fight is the only part I think people are having problems with though. Like, just that part. The airships and Agni Ki? I don't think anyone has problems with those.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poo poo, I'm not even the least bit in the know on the difference between gender or sex but even I know that media loooooooooooooooves to play the 'Oh she's just experimenting' card and that is cool and good as long as it's women doing it. I haven't really watched any shows in recent times but I don't think there's been a sudden explosion of 'possibly' gay dudes on TV dating other guys only for their parents to think 'Oh he's just playing around, he'll go back to being attracted to women any day now.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I think this idea crops up because CN doesn't hinge everything on one show, like Nick does with Spongebob. But don't forget that Young Justice got cancelled because too many girls were watching, who "everybody knows" do not buy superhero toys.

Source? Because I thought that was less girls might be watching they :airquote:shouldn't be:airquote: and more the fact that it wasn't selling toys. Which is just awful. How did a show's ability to sell toys determine if it got to stick around?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aces High posted:

so when is blurry! going to make their big essay for the end of the season? I mean I, for one, always look forward to reading those

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you-"

Imagine it then stretching on into eternity.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last 2 minutes of The Legend of Korra resulted in blurry! needing to completely rewrite their essay, which will now be 4 times the original size and require multiple posts to complete.

blurry!'s post alone will take at least ten pages.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

When a lifetime of work on Tenzin's part amounts to nothing while Jinora effortlessly completes his life's ambition fueled purely by ~being special~.

Isn't that also what happened to Bolin trying to metalbend too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrPaper posted:

It's a shame Korra didn't have any martial arts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Speaking of, I saw the episode where Zuko convinces Team Avatar to let him join, and while I greatly enjoy LoK and roll my eyes at the idea that ATLA is television perfected,

Who says this? Most I've ever heard was that it's the best animated show that's been on television. Only time I've heard people call something the best TV show was when Breaking Bad was still coming out with new episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

There are some legit good moments in last airbender like when Aang goes into the Avatar State in anger to kill the guys who stole his bison and Kitarra has to calm him down and he's crying in the Avatar State
KAtara :colbert: Way to slip up Big Anime Sham. :smug:

• Locked thread