Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Aren't the suits just supposed to imitate flying lemurs which have been in the series since S1E3 of TLA? "Oh it's like Momo!" was my first thought at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

After watching the trailer I am so hype!

Don't fall down on this season writers! You've just regained your honor.

Edit: is the Netflix style release confirmed?

Only for countries that get it later than the US I believe.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I think this all but confirms the idea that this season will be about the rise of a fascist state in the Earth Kingdom led by Kuvira. We have the earth prince who seems like the prototypical early 19th century out-of-touch nobleman.

I bet what's going to happen is that when all the world leaders are the to instate the new earth king, Kuvira leads a fascist takeover using metalbender security forces.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

Calling Kuvira fascist is a bit too easy; at her world's stage of sociopolitical development she makes more sense as a Bonapartist.

What the heck does this even mean? If we're comparing Kuvira to anyone I would probably guess they're modeling her after Asian fascists/nationalists like Sun Yat-Sen, Chang Kai-Shek, Dai Li, Wang Jingwei, Hideki Tojo, and more generally the Japanese Imperial Rule Assistance Association.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

:geno:: "All right. Let's do this."

Yeah that line stood out to me. It's almost like she's over-annuciating John Wayne-style: "All right. Let's do this, pilgrim."

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

If people are wondering what Kuvira and her campaign are based on, I'm guessing it's pretty much supposed to be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Expedition

As I have said before, we need to compare Kuvira to Asian fascists/nationalists, not western ones, to have a better picture of who she is and her goals.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

oh jay posted:

What are the odds that Kuvira is funding bandits because Bryke doesn't understand how to do subtlety and grey morality.

What are the odds that in the end it's a children's show so villains have to be unsubtle and villainous? This isn't loving Breaking Bad here. This is something my 8 year old cousin watches.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Sato posted:

^^^^^^^^

Opal inventing soundbending hadn't occurred to me at all and now I want it a lot. Maybe to break up a family fight like she did last season?

Wouldn't this be a form of energybending and therefore something that only the Avatar could do?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I wonder if we're going to learn more about how the heck Kuvira got so much power anyway. When we saw her in season 3, she was a security guard and practicing for that dance performance. Why is she the one tasked with reuniting the Earth Kingdom? Why not Suyin?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Jesus Christ I have no idea what any of you are talking about but it's super gross and kinda creepy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

On a completely unrelated note, I had the opportunity to play Avatar World, the Avatar Apocalypse World hack designed by some random guy, and it's really good. It does an excellent job of capturing the shenanigans feeling of Avatar and giving you enough control to do some creative stuff. Also benders and nonbenders are well-balanced. Best of all it's free and you can download the rules here: http://www.logbook-project.com/p/avatar-world_23.html

Meanwhile, my friend continues to toil on a total conversion of D&D to Avatar. I think it's a fruitless endeavor--Avatar just doesn't lend itself to the type of combat that D&D encourages.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

What is the name of Opal's brother who's marrying Kuvira? He was an abstract metalbending sculptor in the previous season too, wasn't he?

His name is Baatar Jr., the architect who is only seen for a moment in Book 3 with his father, and you have him confused with Huan, the sculptor.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Does he know there are already several of those in existence, with various degrees of sperginess and editions supported? :shrug:

He thinks he will make a better version I guess. I don't know. Everyone needs a hobby I suppose and I think every nerd who plays tabletop games enough experiments with making their own system or modifying an existing one at some point.

Out of curiosity, could you share some of these systems (provided they're not :filez: or something)?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Here. Can't tell you where those two came from (I don't remember), but they were on my HDD. I remember seeing at least 2-3 more, one of which was exclusively a Korra conversion.

Oh nice. The 4E one piques my interest.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

Episode 2 is titled "Korra Alone." :allears:

Now that makes me excited. Honestly if they just retraced that episode with Korra instead of Zuko, I'd still be incredibly happy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

It's been up for about a week. I think they said that it's going to be 30ish no? I just wish they'd let me preorder already.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Aggressive pricing posted:

It wasn't a parody, it was a recap, done in a really good and creative way.

It totally was a parody as well as a recap. The two are hardly mutually exclusive. In retells the story but does so in a humorous way that mocks or exaggerates certain parts of the story (Zuko's obsession with honor, Iroh's laidback nature, The Great Divide, Sokka's bad jokes, the Zutara shippers, etc.). It's pretty much the definition of parody in fact. Maybe you're thinking a parody is supposed to be more insulting or scathing to the original work? But that's not the case at all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Sato posted:

Apparently there's going to be a voice-acting booth where you can play one of the characters in a scene and get an insight into how the voicework in Korra is done. I'm torn between thinking this is awesome and thinking it's cringeworthy.

I don't know. If they have it setup with the scene with the airbender shut-in guy who's mom is desperately trying to force him out of the home, I think we'd see some drat good acting.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I'm just glad that the spirits actually seem to like Korra now. I honestly thought when they were all crowding her near the tree that they were going to gently caress with her the way they did in Book 2. Also glad that they didn't use Iroh to give any helpful spiritual wisdom for 30 seconds and then be on his merry way like he did in Book 3. He's a bigger character than that and deserves more depth if they're going to use him.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Rougey posted:

Holy poo poo that photo of Aang
Yep. Hilarious.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I'm not using spoilers since we're an hour past the official air date and time.

Sato posted:

How close exactly is the Swamp to Republic City? I thought it was farther but it seems to have been on the outskirts. Is it just me or did it seem a lot smaller--a result of the settlement around its borders? Wonder if Toph is going to go into that next episode and discuss the relationship between the natural world and industrialization like Bryke have been saying is a theme.

Korra wasn't in Republic City for the earthbending fight. I assume she was in whatever Earth Kingdom town it is that Toph grew up in, which is much closer to the Swamp.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Zuko hesitates for a moment, then looks determined, "Katara, it would be my honor."

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Not to mention she couldn't save Jet, who she did once have a big crush on it seemed. Aang was zapped right in front of her, even if she was able to bring him back. Her mom died to protect her.

That's a lot of violent death for a 14 year old to experience.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

The drawings reminded me of Sokka's drawings and that made me happy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Minrad posted:

just watched the new ep, lol this series really just refuses to do its own thing without bringing back characters from TLA, doesn't it

Is this a complaint? I don't think LoK has been overbearing with TLA characters making appearances. As excited as we get when we see Zuko or Toph, they aren't overshadowing the main characters.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

So someone on Reddit pointed this out. In Books 1-3, the first episode has always ended with a shot of the villain, but Book 4 Episode 1 ended with a shot of Korra: http://imgur.com/a/GgJly

This is causing people to speculate that the Dark Avatar is Vaatu being reborn inside of Korra and that the season is going to be about Korra finding balance between having both Raava and Vaatu inside her.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say that, given the creators' track record, Wu being put on the throne after a brief reign of terror by Kuvira will probably be touted as a good thing. Down with Napoleon, long live Louis XVIII! :france:

Maybe Wu will face some dangers and threats and get perspective on what life is really like when you're not a spoiled prince? I could see that happening since they have gone to such great lengths to show just how out-of-touch and spoiled he is. Although they haven't portrayed him as sympathetic in the slightest which they usually do for characters with a redemptive arc. I'm going to say he ends up on the throne in the next episode, but Kuvira quickly makes him an irrelevant figurehead. At some point, he protests and she casts him aside and has him locked away, since she seems to be more popular than he is anyway. Korra frees him during the last 2 episodes when she takes on Kuvira and either he's learned a lot in jail and becomes a good ruler or basically says, "Screw this I don't want to rule, I support a democracy. I'm going to the spa."

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I bet my friend that terrible Mako-Wu spa day fan art already existed. Searched tumblr for about 30 seconds and sure enough:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

senae posted:

You didn't win that bet because that's pretty good fanart, hth.

It doesn't even look like them! That's not Prince Wu's face shape at all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Also it wasn't like Zuko and Aang just made this decision arbitrarily. Many people in the colonies wanted to stay separated from the Earth Kingdom.

And it wasn't an easy decision. Aang (comic spoilers follow) nearly killed Zuko over it, leading to Aang severing his connection with Roku and damaging his connection to his past lives. We haven't seen what the result of this damage was, but I would argue it's why Korra has had such a tough time connecting to her past lives in Books 1 and 2--although that becomes moot after Book 2.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

mateo360 posted:

The currently running comic series does show (same spoiler as above) an affect of Aang's severing with Roku
The Rift part 1&2 spoilers Yangchen says that when he did that it did affect the ability to communicate with the live before Roku which at that point is... all of them. Yangchen has to warn Aang but because of the sever, Aang cannot hear her, only see her. Only by teaching the Air Disciples about Yangchen Day is he able to connect again with Yangchen at least.

Right. I phrased what I said poorly. We're not sure if Aang will regain easy access to his past lives yet, or whether the effects of severing Roku are permanent.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Indeed, just a wonderful episode all-around. The pacing was great, there was a nice mixture of action, humor, and plot, none of the jokes fell flat, and Toph was amazing.

This episode really hammered home that Korra and Kuvira are foils of each other. I wonder if Korra were tasked with reuniting the Earth Kingdom Empire, how she would have gone about things? Maybe she's not as harsh as Kuvira, but I think they have very similar personalities otherwise.

I'm glad that Korra's convalescence is taking longer than I had thought it was going to. I'm guessing she's going to recover soon though. The book can't go on too much longer with the main protagonist isolated and almost powerless.

edit: not spoilering stuff because it's publicly available now

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 17, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is probably best both Bolin and Mako have ever been. They both felt like identifiable and likeable characters during their argument.
Also just caught the joke of the hotel being called "Four Elements"

Yep. I think it's because Bolin actually seems to be showing a bit of a spine. Can't wait until we see them duel which I think at this point is inevitable. My money's on Bolin.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

A theory I heard that I always liked was that he was killed by the Red Lotus while defending Korra. I feel like a warrior's death would be what Sokka wanted. I hope he didn't just die of old age or something.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He was the meat and sarcasm guy. He probably died of a heart attack.

That said, I did always find it a little sad that Sokka seems to have no real legacy beyond being part of Republic City.

There's a huge statue of him in Republic City and he was Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. He was apparently also the chairman of the United Republic Council for awhile. So he was a pretty big deal for awhile. Really the question is what did Katara do for 60 years aside from have 3 children? It's really not been explored at all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I did find it strange that he was the only one of the original Gaang not to have kids. Sokka would've been a cool dad.

That we know of. I still think Suyin Beifong might be his daughter, if things with Suki didn't work out.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

ATLA had some instances where it implied that the Avatar is inherently more powerful than a standard bender too. For instance, to enter the fire sages' temple required 5 firebenders or "a fully-realized Avatar" (I believe that's the line). I'm guessing the Avatar has some built-in advantages that Korra will be able to use when metalbending the metal out of her body.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I think that's simply referring to the Avatar State, that a fully-realized Avatar can access at will.

That's a fair interpretation, but I do still think there are natural levels of bending talent with the Avatar being typically much more adept than the average bender. I'm glad they've never outright stated this, as it gets into some midichlorians-level awfulness when a show starts assigning characters numerical power ratings.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Being a jerk is how Toph shows affection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Metal as Metaphor would be a great name for a critical analysis of depictions of illness in the Avatar series in the style of Susan Sontag.

• Locked thread