Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If the show focuses almost entirely on Korra and her trauma/recovery, I can see it done well in one episode, though I hope they spend two episodes on it. I never really expected or wanted to spend 4+ episodes just on a sidelined Korra, better to have her struggle early, recover, and reflect on that recovery throughout the season. I'm excited as hell for the time skip too, should make for an interesting change and if Korra spends three years just recovering, it will make her recovery all the more impressive/meaningful. It should also lead to some big moments when she comes back, since she will have been away for awhile.

Still getting used to seeing her with the new haircut though. I definitely like it, but for half of the trailer I didn't even recognize her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dang, I love that we're 3 years into the future and Korra still isn't in a good place physically or mentally. I'm looking forward to that recovery arc!

Kuvira kicks all kinds of rear end too, I guess it's helpful to have infinite metal from nowhere to throw around.

I'm in the "Kuvira had bandits steal the food" camp, but I actually think it'd be more interesting if she hadn't. It's a better story in my opinion if she's consolidating power and taking away the Earth Kingdoms sweet, sweet ore, but the country is so messed up that she really is the only option. An airplane swooping in on our friendly airbenders seems like it would take more resources, both in recon and rad airplanes, than bandits have though.

I'm digging everyone's new character designs too, kind of makes me wish we'd gotten a significant time jump in ATLA. The closest we really got then was Aang growing hair for awhile.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Aces High posted:

I honestly thought that every piece of metal she threw would be a piece of her armour but no it didn't appear that way. I mean most of the time your armour won't be as useful in terms of defense if you're fighting other benders or people with shock gauntlets so you may as well use it as another weapon

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. For the first few seconds that seemed sensible, then she had tossed out a solid 10-20 metal pieces and her armor looked the same. I guess maaaaybe she had lots of loose pieces on her back?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Just caught the tail end of the advance episode screening at the NYCC panel, looks like it's going to be real amazing.

Also it's nice to see all the VA's in person, first time I have.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yep, may be able to see it on the archive of the twitch broadcast, if they're doing that, or just catch it on Nick tomorrow.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh right, Mako is totally played by Bud Bundy. I forgot.

Doesn't quote top the magic of Zuko being played by Rufio though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I actually remember the soldiers taking Katara's mother away after she waterbended slightly to prove she could, and then she died in captivity. I could be remembering this wrong though.

Given that we haven't heard of any major conflicts between ATLA and Korra, I have to assume Katara is referencing the events of the series. She became a badass waterbender after being pretty bad at it in season 1, but she definitely got into a lot of life and death struggles at a very young age. The loss of her mother and oppression of her village (Southern tribe is barely scraping by at the start of ATLA) are probably what she refers to when she talks about her hardships, though.

Aside liking that Korra's recovery is taking a very long time (3 years and she's not in top shape physically or mentally, which is far longer than I think anyone was expecting), I like that Korra was a natural bending/fighting prodigy, so she is confronted with a physical hardship to overcome. As Katara points out, Aang wasn't as skilled a fighter, necessarily, but he was confronted with a more spiritual conflict through having to deal with the loss of his entire culture and (in the last season) how to fulfill his duties as an avatar without abandoning the pacifist beliefs of the air nomads.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Aces High posted:

Also I never thought that Bolin was just drawing pictures because...how the gently caress do you get a narrative like that based solely on pictures :confused: I mean I don't know a lot about character based languages but there must be rudimentary or rather childish forms of them as well. I honestly thought Bolin just sent her pictures to go along with his letter because he's that kind of guy

My impression, given the overly fanciful language (on the morrow, trepidation, etc.) and that we only see his crude drawings, was that he really did just send along some pictures. Just because we're hearing Bolin's voice doesn't mean that's necessarily the message that Korra is getting: we're hearing Bolin's thoughts when we sent the letters. We're hearing the thoughts of Mako and Asami during their letters too, it's just that they were able to directly put those thoughts onto paper as words.

It's basically a nickelodeon version of an Always Sunny Charlie joke, but I thought it worked pretty well. If we were meant to think Bolin had sent along a letter with words, we would have seen one at some point while we were hearing him speak. It also would take out a quick little joke, and given how bleak the episode to that point (and indeed, most of the episode entirely) was, I have to assume they meant to have a joke in there to ease the tension. If I was a 10 or 12 year old kid watching Korra and watching her kick butt, I'd be pretty depressed to see her in such a poor state, and eager for her to run around kicking butt again, and I think Bolin's letters is a pretty perfectly aimed joke for kids. I would have been laughing like hell if I was younger.

Anyway, sorry to rant there. In other news, I can't wait for Korra to be back to her old awesome self!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I want them to go whole hog on ripping off Star Wars. Have Korra fight her dark side (again), get a vision of Mako and Bolin in trouble, Toph tell Korra not to leave since since her training isn't complete, just go for it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just hope we get about a paragraph from Bryke someday soon-ish about what happened to Sokka. I do think that him dying protecting Korra from the Red Lotus would be the best way for him to go out, but they missed their chance to make that a thing last season. I have to give them props for not giving all of the Gaang kids or grandkids though, it's nice to see the childless life get acknowledged, even if it's not how I'd like to live my life. Of course, Su-Yin: Secret Sokka-Toph lovechild would be pretty great.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Come to think of it, if Kuvira has a decent amount of metalbenders in her army then the Zaofu battle could be potentially be one of the best battle scenes in the avatar series. People just ripping off parts of the city and throwing sharp metal shards at each other willy-nilly. It'll probably just be average, and we certainly aren't going to get a Lord of the Rings style battle on Nickelodeon, but hopefully they can pull off some cool things, as there's a lot of potential coolness there. I'm sure we'll at least see Kuvira do cool metal things, so that's always fun.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'll enjoy it if there's a moment where she tries to convince Bataar that no she totally knew he'd survive it was all part of her plan.

My prediction is that there is a scene like this, and Bataar goes up to her and effectively stabs her in the back. I don't see Kuvira getting out of this season alive.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Very good finale. I think a kiss at the end would have been pretty perfect for the story, and to be a nice callback to the end of ATLA, but if they had to sneak even handholding and ~loving gazes~ into the finale, as rumored, then a kiss is quite a longshot. It's not really worth having angry parents calling for Bryke's heads or the show's overseas market being diminished anyway. This ending was a nice way for everyone to basically get what they want, and draw their own conclusions. If people want to think they're just friends going on a trip together, good for them. I'll remain pretty confident they're wrong, but I won't hate them for it or anything.

It's also worth noting that if Korrasami was explicit, a not-insignificant amount of parents would not want to show their kids this show in the future, provided they knew how it ends, which I think would be a drat shame as it was a good show overall, even if it varied in quality season to season or episode to episode.

It'll also be interesting to see how Bryke handle being asked about Korra's ending at future conventions, assuming they attend them. Whether they acknowledge the implied romance, denounce it, or (most likely) just tease the fans of the show and dance around it, it'll be worth seeing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

For it to be the bold, network defying act that people want to see it has I feel like they would have to be honest and just outright say they are in love or whatever.

Ah yeah, I did forget to mention that I do think that Bryke publicly stating on the record that Korra and Asami are in love and dating one another is about the biggest FU they can give to Nickelodeon. It's also probably a decent way to make getting the full Avatar rights more complicated.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PaulDirac posted:

There were some really great shots actually. One that I liked a lot was when the skyline of RC gets blown up by the spirit weapon with korra standing on a rooftop of the foreground.

Yeah, that was a straight up amazing shot there. For me, that was when I realized just how much destruction they were going to show, and it really amped me up for the rest of the finale.

Also, I think I have a different take from most, in that I wanted more avatar state Korra mixed in there. Aang would pull off some insane feats in the avatar state, so I was hoping that would be a bigger factor, particularly when she fought Kuvira. We did get the big moment at the end though, that's for sure. I can see the merits of her doing it on her own though, and it does make some plot sense in that instead of drawing on the strength of X amount of past avatars, it's just a raava power boost now.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Man, I really want to see a one-off "100 years later" episode starring the new Earth avatar and set in the present day, just to see where everything ends up after all the things that Korra did. The world will have to adjust by a huge amount after all the calamities Korra faced, the dissolution of the Earth Kingdom, and so on. Also seeing an avatar with a smartphone would be pretty hilarious. :v:

Modern Avatar does seem like the logical next step for the series to take. I think it'd be interesting as hell, particularly because you'd have a high tech and industrial society that is mostly, if not entirely, co-existing with superpowered beings and spirit creatures. And their version of New York City has a big old portal in the middle that literally anyone can walk in to and be in what is essentially the afterlife (Iroh's there, after all). And if they were to go full anime, you could do silly stuff like metalbend bullets.

It might only work as a one episode/movie thing, but it'd be pretty intriguing I think.

While I'm thinking of it, they could also do a darker story where an avatar is killed fairly young, and the next incarnation has to deal with the previous one's killer. Plenty of room to tell that story in the ancient avatar's we haven't heard of, and it'd also be a fun one-off deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

You'll always be alive in the Spirit World, thread. Thanks for the fun times and Eva references.

• Locked thread