Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzjXrEiQqQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh my god

Forbes.com posted:

In addition, it’s truly nice to see a show that ends by saying the most important thing to hold on to in life isn’t true love, but rather true friendship.
An incredibly positive review in all respect but hahaha alright then.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's a platonic spirit world girls only vacation guys.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

BrianWilly posted:

Oh my god
An incredibly positive review in all respect but hahaha alright then.

You mean you don't gaze deep into your bff's eyes? :colbert: missing out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
oh poo poo they never actually revisited Varrick's iron man suit did they

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SirKibbles posted:

You mean you don't gaze deep into your bff's eyes? :colbert: missing out.

If you haven't held hands while gazing lovingly into your bff's eyes before embarking on a long private excursion together, you just might be gay.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TheKingofSprings posted:

oh poo poo they never actually revisited Varrick's iron man suit did they
Pretty sure that evolved into the Earth Empire mech suits that...y'know, we've been seeing all season.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Flyin' under the radar Xena: Warrior Princess style :devil:

But for real who wants to visit the spirit world with me :wink:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah I'm sorta curious what their situation is with the creators ownership of the avatar brand, can nick just hold onto it forever in spite?

Pretty sure, yeah. But besides Korra blu-ray sales, they haven't been selling much other Korra merch (which is where the real money is made, see: Spongebob), so once that dries up there's a chance they'll negotiate with Bryke to sell it to another interested party. Regardless I can't imagine another Avatar series on Nick after all the BS that went down.

EDIT: Also the true best part of all this is Sithsaber having a meltdown over the finale over on Reddit. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 19, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Very good finale. I think a kiss at the end would have been pretty perfect for the story, and to be a nice callback to the end of ATLA, but if they had to sneak even handholding and ~loving gazes~ into the finale, as rumored, then a kiss is quite a longshot. It's not really worth having angry parents calling for Bryke's heads or the show's overseas market being diminished anyway. This ending was a nice way for everyone to basically get what they want, and draw their own conclusions. If people want to think they're just friends going on a trip together, good for them. I'll remain pretty confident they're wrong, but I won't hate them for it or anything.

It's also worth noting that if Korrasami was explicit, a not-insignificant amount of parents would not want to show their kids this show in the future, provided they knew how it ends, which I think would be a drat shame as it was a good show overall, even if it varied in quality season to season or episode to episode.

It'll also be interesting to see how Bryke handle being asked about Korra's ending at future conventions, assuming they attend them. Whether they acknowledge the implied romance, denounce it, or (most likely) just tease the fans of the show and dance around it, it'll be worth seeing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

For it to be the bold, network defying act that people want to see it has I feel like they would have to be honest and just outright say they are in love or whatever.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

For it to be the bold, network defying act that people want to see it has I feel like they would have to be honest and just outright say they are in love or whatever.

Ah yeah, I did forget to mention that I do think that Bryke publicly stating on the record that Korra and Asami are in love and dating one another is about the biggest FU they can give to Nickelodeon. It's also probably a decent way to make getting the full Avatar rights more complicated.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Do Korra and Asami know they're in love though?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

The Sharmat posted:

Do Korra and Asami know they're in love though?

I know and that's all that matters.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Whole lot of people weirdly holding onto it being "ambiguous." They probably pushed Nickelodeon to the limit as it is; come on, guys.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I want an entire series soundtrack to this as soon as humanly possible.

Recommended to anyone who hasn't picked up the art books, do so. They're great.

If you're in Los Angeles, there's an art tribute thingy in March.
http://www.gallerynucleus.com/gallery/exhibition/462?adbid=1007506249265968&adbpl=fb&adbpr=209565489060052&vcs=social_20141204_36713277

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I liked the finale. Everything looked smooth and everything made sense. Besides the part that making a building fall on a machine barely scratches it ofc :P There were some really great shots actually. One that I liked a lot was when the skyline of RC gets blown up by the spirit weapon with korra standing on a rooftop of the foreground. And the Asami Korra thing at the end was pretty cool.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Yo, where were all the airplanes at?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That was a great ending. Overall I'm not sure if I like LA or Korra more. I love both series.

And Korra x Asami. :3:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This finale was bullshit.

100% unadulterated bullshit.

loving Pabu shows up, Bumi's loving spirit bunny shows up, even Tahno gets a cameo on his French Horn.

But as Team Queeratar fades into the loving light, do we see one loving Polar Bear Dog?

No! We loving don't.

That Polar Bear Dog saved her rear end more times than I can count. A more loyal friend and companion, she couldn't have asked for.

And when she just peaces out to go gallivanting around the Spirit World with her new BFBF, she just goes full Alzheimers about who carried her rear end there in the first place.

Naga, please.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Toshimo posted:

This finale was bullshit.

100% unadulterated bullshit.

loving Pabu shows up, Bumi's loving spirit bunny shows up, even Tahno gets a cameo on his French Horn.

But as Team Queeratar fades into the loving light, do we see one loving Polar Bear Dog?

No! We loving don't.

That Polar Bear Dog saved her rear end more times than I can count. A more loyal friend and companion, she couldn't have asked for.

And when she just peaces out to go gallivanting around the Spirit World with her new BFBF, she just goes full Alzheimers about who carried her rear end there in the first place.

Naga, please.

Naga was in the background while she was talking to Tenzin and Asami.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rosalind posted:

That's clearly a statue as evidenced by the fact that it doesn't move.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PaulDirac posted:

There were some really great shots actually. One that I liked a lot was when the skyline of RC gets blown up by the spirit weapon with korra standing on a rooftop of the foreground.

Yeah, that was a straight up amazing shot there. For me, that was when I realized just how much destruction they were going to show, and it really amped me up for the rest of the finale.

Also, I think I have a different take from most, in that I wanted more avatar state Korra mixed in there. Aang would pull off some insane feats in the avatar state, so I was hoping that would be a bigger factor, particularly when she fought Kuvira. We did get the big moment at the end though, that's for sure. I can see the merits of her doing it on her own though, and it does make some plot sense in that instead of drawing on the strength of X amount of past avatars, it's just a raava power boost now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rosalind posted:

Sure, but some of us here were interested in Naga's intriguing and involving character act, and while every other single characters act was completely tied up in a nice little bow -including that worthless hanger on Pabu- what did we get nothing. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also makes sense in that Korra's power and fighting capabilities have always been at the forefront and her development is learning to temper and control her use of them. She does use the Avatar state but only for brief moments when it actually makes sense to. Rather than going "Avatar SMASH" like Aang did (or like she did in the previous season), she uses it in a more controlled manner like we saw the pre-Aang (and older Aang, based off that one flashback) Aang do.

It does have the disappointment that Korra didn't do a giant thing but Korra did a giant thing in Book 2 and a raging Avatar state in Book 3. They actually dialed it down to "Korra did this on her own" which works a bit better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 19, 2014

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, that was a straight up amazing shot there. For me, that was when I realized just how much destruction they were going to show, and it really amped me up for the rest of the finale.

Also, I think I have a different take from most, in that I wanted more avatar state Korra mixed in there. Aang would pull off some insane feats in the avatar state, so I was hoping that would be a bigger factor, particularly when she fought Kuvira. We did get the big moment at the end though, that's for sure. I can see the merits of her doing it on her own though, and it does make some plot sense in that instead of drawing on the strength of X amount of past avatars, it's just a raava power boost now.

It's really more of not taking a gun to a knife fight scenario. Yes, Avatar State Korra is goddamn amazing, but she doesn't need the AS to stop Kuvira. Especially when she's absolutely not going for the kill.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Sure, but some of us here were interested in Naga's intriguing and involving character act, and while every other single characters act was completely tied up in a nice little bow -including that worthless hanger on Pabu- what did we get nothing. :colbert:

Nagpabu remains unconfirmed too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I can't decide what I will find more hilarious in the next couple of days: conservative outrage or denial.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This morning, before I watched the episode I saw on Facebook that a friend had posted "The last five minutes of the Korra finale made up for all their missteps."

And from that moment, I knew.

It was great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I can't decide what I will find more hilarious in the next couple of days: conservative outrage or denial.

Anyone seriously and legitimately in denial would be in denial no matter what happened.

"No, see, that was just a friendly kiss. I do it to my friends all the time."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, I really want to see a one-off "100 years later" episode starring the new Earth avatar and set in the present day, just to see where everything ends up after all the things that Korra did. The world will have to adjust by a huge amount after all the calamities Korra faced, the dissolution of the Earth Kingdom, and so on. Also seeing an avatar with a smartphone would be pretty hilarious. :v:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone seriously and legitimately in denial would be in denial no matter what happened.

"No, see, that was just a friendly kiss. I do it to my friends all the time."

It's only gay if the balls touch. Korra and Asami don't have balls therefore it stands to reason that can't be gay. Checkmate, homosexuals.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

Yo, where were all the airplanes at?

Left behind because they wouldn't be agile enough to dodge a giant metal fist like the airbenders and hummingbirds were. Seriously, a couple of swats would have downed an entire squad of planes. Never bring a plane to a mech fight.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I was wrong everyone. They really do lez out at the end of Avatar the legend of Korra. What a ride.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Korra did actually use the Avatar State during their initial attack on the Colossus, to give her wind-blast extra oomph. Since that failed miserably, I guess she figured it wasn't worth bothering with it for the rest of the fight.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Man, I really want to see a one-off "100 years later" episode starring the new Earth avatar and set in the present day, just to see where everything ends up after all the things that Korra did. The world will have to adjust by a huge amount after all the calamities Korra faced, the dissolution of the Earth Kingdom, and so on. Also seeing an avatar with a smartphone would be pretty hilarious. :v:

Modern Avatar does seem like the logical next step for the series to take. I think it'd be interesting as hell, particularly because you'd have a high tech and industrial society that is mostly, if not entirely, co-existing with superpowered beings and spirit creatures. And their version of New York City has a big old portal in the middle that literally anyone can walk in to and be in what is essentially the afterlife (Iroh's there, after all). And if they were to go full anime, you could do silly stuff like metalbend bullets.

It might only work as a one episode/movie thing, but it'd be pretty intriguing I think.

While I'm thinking of it, they could also do a darker story where an avatar is killed fairly young, and the next incarnation has to deal with the previous one's killer. Plenty of room to tell that story in the ancient avatar's we haven't heard of, and it'd also be a fun one-off deal.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I'm sad we won't see anything in the Avatar universe for a while, but on the other hand I'm buying whatever Mike and Brian are selling. I just hope they end up on a network that actually supports them. Imagine what they could do!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gaussian posted:

I'm sad we won't see anything in the Avatar universe for a while, but on the other hand I'm buying whatever Mike and Brian are selling. I just hope they end up on a network that actually supports them. Imagine what they could do!

Have they said they are planning on working together still or are they each doing their own thing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ambivalent posted:

Also, Kuvira's suckerpunch Brick is terrific. I don't care if you think she should have been able to stop it or something.

I love that under all her cool and calculated fighting every time Kuvira's on the ropes she just fights like a total douchebag. She doesn't do some Azula crazy meltdown, she just goes 'alright gently caress this, brick!'

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Darth Walrus posted:

Korra did actually use the Avatar State during their initial attack on the Colossus, to give her wind-blast extra oomph. Since that failed miserably, I guess she figured it wasn't worth bothering with it for the rest of the fight.

She used it several times in the fight. She also used it when she ripped up huge chunks of pavement from the street while firebending rocket-boots, and when she tore up an entire rooftop to hurl chunks at the robot.

Other than having her use the avatar state to firebend up a giant plasma torch, which I half-way expected, I think they did a pretty good job of establishing that this was an opponent too big and hardened to just avatar-state up and punch through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Great finale, but I'll admit that I enjoyed TLA more - I think that Korra suffered from having a 'villain of the week (season)', whereas with Aang there was the more persistent, omnipresent threat of the Fire Lord, whose presence and footprint was felt throughout the entire series. Kuvira was a decent villain, but I liked Ozai as a nemesis much more. It may have been the lack of his presence in the series that lent him a greater threat as an unknown, but Kuvira, laser-mecha superweapon and all, still wasn't as compelling a villain as Ozai.

• Locked thread