Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

Christ, this thread. Once again I am very, very glad none of you are anywhere near this show's writing room.

Hey now, we made it almost 10 pages before fanfic bending showed up!

I think.

Also if there's anything the first two seasons of this show taught us, it's that this show absolutely shouldn't try to play in grey areas because these guys are not good at it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kuvirah's not trying to make a point. She's just an fascist rear end in a top hat and I'm not quite certain why folks keep trying to act like she isn't just because she pays occasional lipservice to "peaceful negotiation" when it suits her to do so.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 31, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"I need to reunite my nation, and none of you fuckers were doing anything about it" is just as much a point as "There shouldn't be any government because man should have no allegiance to anything but themselves and the ones they love."
Obviously fascism is wrong and Kuvira has done horrible things. But like every villain in Korra she has a noble ideal at the core of her actions: she wants all the villages of the Earth Kingdom, no matter how small, to be united under a government capable of protecting them and providing for them should circumstances arise, be they war or natural disaster, that temporarily render them incapable of self-sufficiency.
Of course, she's fallen completely out of balance, as shown by the fact that she's now going after Xao Fu, which is more than capable of handling itself and could easily function as a sovereign state. And it's basically a sure thing that she's going to go after the United Republic next, again under the guise of reuniting the Earth Kingdom.

There is literally no reason to assume Kuvirah has any goals other than selfish ones. She flatout puts the essence of her character out in the open for everyone to see when she tells Wu that she "always gets what she wants." She has her forces hang banners with her portraits. She sends people to prison camps to be reeducated. She forces Varrick at almost gunpoint to continue extremely dangerous experiments because she sees the power they could provide and wants it for herself (and the show goes to great lengths to express just how hosed up it is that Varrick of all people wants to peace out of that poo poo). She's even immensely receptive to Zhu Li's flattery to her (which is likely to backfire - I don't buy that poo poo as anything other than Zhu Li insuring she can remain near Varrick).

We're talking about a woman who, in limited appearances in s3, people already got villainous, "don't trust this person" vibes from. I don't buy that she's fallen out of balance - like most fascists, she saw a chance for power and took it while expounding noble intentions.

SirKibbles posted:

Korra doesn't know that but she does know people do get angry when you do things because no one else is doing them. She's not psychic she went from the Swamp to here. Also Su the Earth Kingdom is falling apart and you want to go all isolationist? That doesn't work when it's your own country Su.

I'm aware that she doesn't know the extent of Kuvirah's bullshit. But there's a reason folks are pretty comfortable with going "yeah, Korra please punch out this rear end in a top hat" while also maintaining she could have done things better in earlier seasons.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RottenK posted:

So basically none of this would've happened if Su wasn't a giant isolationist moron. Good job Su.

She's not isolationist. Her view in this scenario is that it's not any of her drat business to impose herself as a ruler upon the rest of the Earth Kingdom, not that her state is best served by rejecting everyone else.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

They were asking her to stop massive riots in the biggest city on Earth and maybe put out a few fires, not establish a new dynasty.

Except they made Kuvira provisional ruler of the Earth Kingdom during the last three years, a position they were obviously willing to bestow upon Su had she accepted it. It's not "putting down riots and a few fires," it's literally putting an entire nation under her authority and subjugation in preparation for the return of another form of rule that Su wants no part of. It is not hard at all to see why Su went "nope" at that. She has no desire for that power, nor did she want to deliver it to anyone else.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's power armor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Season 1 and 2 deserve all the negativity they get imo but 3 and 4 have been, generally, fine. Show still has some poo poo here and there I don't care for and the cast is not particularly strong but they eventually turned the show around into a decent outing in the universe and if they stick the landing I'll get a fascist getting punched in the face with elemental kung fu so I'll be decently content.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It would also be easier to go like "Well, she is young and growing up so things are hard as well" but then the first series is about a kid who is 12 and the last survivor of a genocide and he was much better at fighting.

And he even hated fighting!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Sooner or later there's going to be a western animated TV show/movie that doesn't need to sell toys in Walmart to be considered a success, right?

...right?

:smith:

Over the Garden Wall was pretty loving good and I imagine it did exactly what CN wanted.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

They also put the show on like a months-long hiatus along with Green Lantern with basically no prior warning shortly after starting up with new episodes.

CN does some hosed up poo poo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

This is basically where everyone wanted Unalaq's character to go. But then this shot happened

And he was 100% mustache-twirling evil with lovely motivations from that point onward.

Dude just looks really spiritual there to me :confused:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

We had this debate at the time too. If you hide a characters face in harsh shadows while they sit alone on a throne too big for them then they are clearly a villain, not matter how much fan fiction SHM writes about his motives.

Oh I'm fully aware. I knew exactly what I was posting :v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jackard posted:

I dunno how you can top rainbow giants shooting dubstep hadokens and slugging it out in the harbor.

Shouldn't be hard, that was an immensely lovely fight.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't think he's regretful. I think he's just sad that his work was made pointless as another authoritarian shithead rose up to take the Queen's place - and given that Zaheer actually does care about people in the general since, it's not surprising that he's troubled by whatever he's heard about Kuvira.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Korra is an extremely average show as a whole with some staggering lows that are sometimes overly protracted (season 2 in a nutshell) and a few okay highs (most of which were in season 3, but season 2 also has a very good two-parter). Verdict's still out on 4 and entirely dependent on if they stick the landing, which they're 1 for 3 on.

It pretty much coasts on a massive amount of goodwill built up by ATLA in building up interest in the world and leaving people wanting to see more of it. If this show existed in a vacuum without that presence probably no one gives a poo poo about it, especially not after season 2.

Also please don't lie to him. The show still forces (very cringe-worthy) comedic relief with no regard for the scene's mood, and it still loves its asspulls.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 2, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Over the Garden Wall is probably the best western cartoon in years.

Watch Over the Garden Wall, y'all.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

You're still ultimately criticizing LoK for giving their antagonists motives beyond "POWER" and saying it should go back to the standard of the oh-so-memorable Zhao and Ozai and I just don't understand it.

Would LoK be better if it explored these motives more? Absolutely.

Does including them at all make it worse than ATLA, which didn't even try? Apparently. And I just don't get that and I guess I never will.

I think this argument has been had a shitload though and no side is ever going to change the other's minds.

I feel like a broken record at this point in these threads but execution will always trump concept. ATLA peddled in simpler themes and motivations but it generally handled them with aplomb. Korra, meanwhile, has tried "mature" concepts while generally utterly failing to deliver on them. Being a more "mature" concept means jack poo poo if you deliver on them for poo poo.

There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to introduce a more nuanced character/story/whathaveyou, no. Including them in itself doesn't make the show worse than ATLA. It's how it follows through on its attempts that makes the show worse, because it does so extremely poorly and in the end reeks of trying to deliver a rather substance-less "edge." It doesn't work when your storytelling ability in itself hasn't aged up to match the concepts you're trying to put to work for you.

I said it in the season 1 thread: I think Mike and Bryan are legitimately fantastic at making programming with generally black-and-white themes that children can get invested in while providing just enough of a special touch to the program to entertain older viewers. Beyond that, with more complicated themes? Not so much.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 4, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's completely fair :)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

It's entirely possible I just have really bad taste and am justifying my opinion being better than other peoples' opinions for contrived reasons to make myself feel better.

It's this :)

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 6, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The latter~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also just gonna put it out there, but the vibe I get from your posting about rewatching TLA is that you're essentially watching it solely to look for flaws and to confirm to yourself that Korra really is a better show and that really is not conducive at all to enjoying it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

How could anyone hate Meelo more than the walking deux ex that was Jinora?

Particularly since Jinora is directly involved in an instance of the show teaching children an awful loving lesson: Working hard doesn't mean poo poo.

Jinora and Meelo are definitely the two characters I disliked the most.

Varrick and Su ended up being two characters I enjoyed a lot, along with Zhu Li. Lin would be up there if her season 2 character hadn't been a thing. But this is me limiting myself to Korra-only characters.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 24, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

Which instance was this? That can be true in context.

When a lifetime of work on Tenzin's part amounts to nothing while Jinora effortlessly completes his life's ambition fueled purely by ~being special~.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Alternately that lesson can be "you have your own strengths and weaknesses and should embrace what you are good at instead of what your parents attempt to force upon you" which is actually a good lesson for kids.

The entire point of that plot was that Tenzin is not Aang and did not need to try to be Aang. This is stated unambiguously onscreen so I'm not sure how you got that out of it.

It was said, sure. But it doesn't change what was shown in that we see a lifetime of work and dedication amount to nothing in the face of a little girl just being able to ~do~ something. I don't doubt that what was stated on-screen was the intended message, but that's also only part of the equation and it's pretty disingenuous to act like something as big and pronounced as what I've mentioned can't possibly be taken from it. Because it's certainly what stuck out the most to me, certainly more than whatever words the characters offered after the fact. "Actions speak louder" and all that, and the "action" as presented on screen during this didn't say anything I felt was positive.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never thought Jinora was "naturally better" at spiritual stuff than her dad, but that her personality and general more unstated wisdom and maturity helped her reach that kind of enlightenment. Tenzin does everything with a huge chip on his shoulder and with numerous specters looming over him. It's not that his hard work is useless, it's that he's more focused on what he thinks he needs to be, following the dogma and expectations of Air Nomad culture without the spirit of it.

Enlightenment in the Avatar world has never been purely a matter of following rules and putting in "hard effort", it's about finding fundamental truth and being true to oneself. In a way, Tenzin is a lot more like Korra than he cares to admit.

The wisdom of a little girl that promptly runs the gently caress off and leaves the person she's supposed to be guiding lost in a strange world because she saw something pretty :downs:

I still don't think Jinora having to be Korra's guide was anything other than a narrative contrivance to justify Korra getting lost and needing Iroh's help. But season 2 was, of course, pretty poor all around outside of some isolated parts. And Iroh is great so whatever. I'll take him.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't that also what happened to Bolin trying to metalbend too?

Pretty much, it's honestly why, as rad as lava bending is, I'm disappointed he never picked up metal bending.

It's ultimately kind of a latent thing you have to deal with in the series because the very premise of it (and other media, obviously, including TLA) revolves around a cast of Exceptional People with Innate Talent Out the rear end. It's why it becomes disappointing, narratively, when a character that has to work hard for something can't accomplish it and it instead just gets accomplished effortlessly by someone else with that innate talent, usually right in front of them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yo, gently caress spirits.

Truth. I enjoy that the only two things really accomplished by leaving the spirit portal open were 1) letting those dicks come and lounge around and be haughty and 2) providing fuel for a doomsday weapon.

I guess the airbending thing too? I can't remember if that was a result of the portals being open or an after effect of the whole s2 mess.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Some of ya'll are creepily obsessed with blaming Su for Literally Everything. Like drat.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Suyin is basically running Galt's Gulch if you think about it so it's not surprising everyone hates her.

Ya'll are loving insane. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love how apparently angry this made some folks :allears:

• Locked thread