Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I've come back to MTGO after quitting slightly before Theros and holy poo poo the new client is still so slow. That's the only way to play now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Is this the first competitive UB control since the Tezzeret deck during Zen-Scars?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't get that control deck. I built it, and it's just a lot of sitting there doing absolutely nothing. If you pull an answer to all their cards then you win, but as soon as you miss one you're basically hosed. There's really no nuance or choice to the deck and it's boring to play. Also I don't get the amount of taplands, they just make it feel even more sluggish.

I've been playing a UB control that uses Ashiok and having better luck with it and a lot more fun. It makes it really easy to steal and cast anything from Jeskai and the only way for them to get rid of him is to use up their burn kill spells.

E: Cards that basically never do enough work but I'm not sure what to replace them with: Bile Blight and Silence the Believers.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Niton posted:

It's not at all a stretch for that U/B list to see 15 cards in 2 turns (and keep 3-5 of them). That's a crazy amount of filtering, and ensures that you win the game the moment your opponent runs out of steam. It's also being piloted by Control Genius (and reigning Pro Tour Champion) Ivan Floch, so in this case the player behind it might be just as important.

Also, Bile Blight kills Mantis Riders & Silence the Believers can easily kill 2 creatures in a deck that can cast Pearl Lake Ancient.

I understand the purpose of the cards in theory, but playing on MTGO they just aren't doing a ton. I mean I know I'm a poo poo player compared to him, but it's not hard to see if there's a creature and if you have a spell to kill it. Dig is getting played like turn four minimum, which by then Jeskai has poo poo out all of their creatures and if you are relying on it to pull you answers that you don't already have then you're pretty much dead. Filtering 15 cards in two turns is meaningless if the meta wins most games before the turn you're able to do that. The decks only early game is "draw the exact cards you need or die" and I don't know if there's a card that can make up for that yet. All of the early game draw/filter is pretty lovely right now.

I don't know. I think the deck has potential, but I think it's missing pieces. It's obviously not THE top deck, but I don't think UB has been since Fae.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

*Dirt cheap if you already have the stupid expensive modern manabase.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Thanks for that list, it makes me feel better that I can get a T1 deck together without having to sell organs on the black market.

Merfolk has been putting up 4-0 and 3-1 records in the last couple weeks online and is like $100.

E: Not to say it's T1, but it's a solid deck.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 14, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I have that built too.

Did Treasure Cruise do that too?

Haven't seen a deck running yet in the dailies. I don't know if merfolk pitches enough cards to make it worthwhile.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Draft core, though. Khans is a really complex draft environment.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

And then there was also Adam Prosak and the MTGS boards that simultaneously created the same deck. The real question is what website did all 3 of you netdeck it from?

Well what I mean is that I played paper magic. I became aware of MTGO because it was immersed in the same culture, it wasn't that anyone told me, or that I saw an add, it was just part of the magic community I was already involved in.

The reason why its stupid for them to ask that question and not include paper magic is that its a question about advertisement. They ask because they want to know what forms of advertisement have best been promoting their product. With that idea in mind, nearly everyone involved in paper magic is going to become aware of MTGO passively, paper magic is advertisement for MTGO.

They have an option for word of mouth, stop being a sperg.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

V4 has some nice quality of life changes and is slightly more visually appealing, but V3 gameplay was way, way smoother and ultimately that's the entire point of the drat thing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

[quote="Pyronic" post="436299725"]
I pulled a sorin on MTGO last night, and Im trying to decide whether I should flip it right now or wait to see if it'll go up in price.

I'm not really much of a finance guy, any of you guys have advice?
[/quote

It's currently 2-4 of in the top standard deck. It's maxed out.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Alris posted:

Agreed, it's ridiculous but realistically what is the answer?

Make mythics more splashy and ridiculous and less 4 of constructed staples.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sickening posted:

Wizards is in the business of selling booster packs.

No poo poo. They also reprinted a bunch of stuff to make modern more accessible and standard is now hitting modern prices. Something will have to give eventually.

E: I think they've gotten too good at making playable planeswalkers. It used to be like one of per deck except for superfriends type control decks and now just regular midrange decks run 2-3 walkers. Or it could be that wedge decks are being pushed right now. Weren't devotion decks fairly cheap? The more colors you play the more good cards you have access to and the more expensive the manabase is.

Also Abzan is basically all rares or mythics. It has no good common or uncommon utility cards really.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 16, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

INN and RTR both had a ton of great commons and uncommons. Current standard definitely feels off.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That SCG open UB control deck is drastically different from the one that top 8ed the PT and looks possibly effective at stopping Jeskai and Abzan. Anyone plan on playtesting it?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I played against this UG morph deck on MTGO last night that seemed really complex and interesting, so I found a rough list for it (version I played against had Caryatids, although I don't know if they're worth running) and it's a ton of fun to play. It's also cheap as poo poo with the one mythic in it not even being $1. And who knows, maybe the next set will bring more morph enablers and it could become a legit archetype. Nobody packs enchantment removal and if you're able to get one Trail of Mystery and one Secret Plans down, every creature you have basically becomes value town.

Here's the list.

http://deckstats.net/decks/4727/135759-ug-morph/en

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Was pretty stoked to see block constructed is back on MTGO.

Was less stoked when I realized it's basically the same goddamn Abzan decks dominating standard except with worse removal to allow some diversity. Control is basically unplayable with the current cards available.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How is Sarkhan still so expensive?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

And he devours token and heroic decks. (E:b)

If you're able to cast Ugin against a heroic deck then there's like a 90% chance you have won anyway.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man I really wish wotc would pull their heads out of their asses and make MTGO not a steaming pile of poo poo. Every time I think about how much money they could be making and how much fun I could be having it literally hurts.

V4 sucks so hard I started playing paper again for the first time since Weatherlight.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Considering there are UB control decks that only play PLA as a finisher, I think it could see some play there. Even if it's slow as poo poo, it dodges almost all removal and is harder to chump block.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin is just better though, even for the 2 extra mana.

Eh, I feel like they both have upsides and downsides. Ugin is the same cost as the dragon + open counter mana. Ugin can't be wrathed but the dragon can't be Hero's Downfalled and one is way more common currently.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

What was the last playable card involving double strike? Mirran Crusader? They seem so afraid of pushing it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't like that so many of the sweet playable cards are mythic. And it's weird to have the legendary khans and dragons rare, whilst there's a mythic cycle of clan heroes (which are "obviously"more powerful).

I am getting the same feeling. Khans felt really balanced when it came to mythics but Fate having all these legendaries and khans as rares and generic playables as mythics seems way off. I wonder if something happened like Voice of Resurgence where they made a khan that was stronger than the rest and so they flipped rarities around.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Whoever says it's expensive to play standard should see this WU Heroic deck that is destroying everyone despite it being terrible. The whole thing is like 50 bucks.

How is a deck that wins consistently terrible? Because it's not full of money staples and relies on synergy rather than jamming as many individual value cards together as possible?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Your daily reminder not to use MTGO:

I had a Metamorphed copy of Progenitus against an empty board (Lili minus) in the first round when the game crashed. Somehow it took down my internet connection with it. Crashed AGAIN forcing a hard reboot, then wouldn't load because "MainNavigation has stopped working" until I reinstalled. Oh, but uninstalling it through the official uninstaller didn't actually remove the corrupted files that kept it from starting, so I had to remove those and reinstall again. All of this took a bit longer than ten minutes, so I got dropped. I already got the points reimbursed, but... poo poo, guys, fix your poo poo.

I cashed out MTGO when they announced V3 was going away forever, missed it and then came back with Khans, hated V4 so much I'm cashing out again a couple months later and not coming back unless something massive changes, plus I've started buying paper cards again for the first time since Weatherlight. Traded a big chunk of my cash out tix for a box of MM. Feels good man.

mcmagic posted:

Nah nothing to do with that. The Deck just plays a lot of bad cards and while it can be very powerful it's not consistent and you can end up with very bad mixes of cards. It's good in the meta game because everyone is doing these slow Grundy midrange things though. It's nothing like, for example, last standard's rabble red deck in terms of consistency and power level.

I mean I'm not going to disagree that the core cards are basically unplayable anywhere else, but they're great together. I also absolutely disagree that it's not consistent. It has as much filtering, draw, and alternative ways to pull off its core strategy (make cheap mans big) as any other competitive deck. Yeah some games you just completely miss Ordeal of Thassa and that hurts it a lot, but sometimes Ascendancy doesn't draw Ascendancy and Whip doesn't draw Whip. The only deck I'd say is arguably more consistent is Abzan mid and that's only because nearly everything in it is playable on its own.

I think it benefits a lot from standard having no decent, splashable removal below 3CMC, but so do other decks. "Good" and "good in the meta" are functionally the same thing. When was the last time a standard deck survived rotation and was still playable in extended/modern without substantial changes? Does that mean most standard decks are bad decks?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dragon cycle is cool but I kind of wished they looked more in line with the Asian theme and not just generic fantasy dragons.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was kind of hoping manifest was going to be a fringe mechanic that wasn't going to see much play because it feels like it's going to confuse a lot of people. Now I feel like it's going to see play beyond standard.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

That blue polymorph variant will probably see play in some capacity, everything else seems way to weak.

That was really the only card that made me feel that way but just one will be annoying enough.

Entropic posted:

I don't know why I find this art so funny but I do.

Because it looks like it came out of a 90s goth fetish club.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So what does Neutralizing Blast hit that Disdainful Stroke doesn't? The only place I see it maybe being useful is a sideboard card against Abzan decks to counter Lion and Deathdealer early game. Otherwise everything in standard is pretty monocolored or 4CMC+. What a weird card to be printing now.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Charms and ascendancy, mantis rider?

Countermagic is innately reactive so it is difficult to key what selective countermagic can target in an unknown metagame.

Fair point.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That promo Ugin gonna be expensive as hell.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So is Merfolk competitive because it's gotten enough good cards lately or is it just well suited to Delvermeta?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Much like MODO, you are perpetually 5 years behind, grampa.

Calling MODO five years behind is pretty generous.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

If you play MODO a lot you learn to hate every deck with a million triggers because your opponent is invariably slow to stack them.

Fuuuuuuuuck Tron and Storm.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lancelot posted:

I'm thinking of switching from UW to UB control when FRF is released so I can play Ugin. Anyone care to guess whether Perilous Vault will still be maindecked in UB control after Crux of Fate is legal? I don't want to drop so many tickets on it if it's not going to be played.

Why can't you play Ugin in UW control?

Also Perilous Vault will probably still be useful because it doesn't enable delve, gets around indestructible (which can be an issue in UW Heroic and Sidisi Whip) and hits enchantments, artifacts and planeswalkers.

Also go esper control so you can play Elspeth and Sorin.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the reason Esper Control is rarer than straight U/B control is that the mana in Standard isn't nearly as good as it was when we had shocklands.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely harder to stretch and the lack of consistency hurts it. I was mostly being a jackass and also I just like esper generally and think the current standard iteration of UB control is probably one of the most boring ever.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lancelot posted:

The mana just seems too wonky without playing like 12 temples.

9-12!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ramos posted:

Funny that, people basically shot her to hell when she first appeared due to digging out of your own graveyard. People are still terrible at card evaluation.

wasn't she basically unplayed until Khans?

Efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jeskai Ascendancy is an absolutely retarded card even if it's not so broken that it dominates everything. And Abzan mid is just boring. Sidisi whip is like the only interesting deck doing anything in standard.

• Locked thread