Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The Wicked Wall posted:

Speaking of Jeskai, I opened 3 boosters a friend didn't want (he won some raffle at the LGS) and got Narset, who looks incredibly fun but unfortunately I hate everything about the Jeskai flavour except Swiftspear so she might be a tradeaway/sell. I also got Bloodsoaked Champion (exactly what I wanted) and Clever Impersonator, so pretty good for some free packs!

Off topic, if I'm buying singles from the UK, is there any particularly recommended site for doing so? Manaleak is UK based and they use flat postage (£1 within the country) but their prices seem a little high in places (for example, Satyr Firedrinker is currently £1.49 each on Manaleak, but $0.89 on Starcity). Or would the postage for the cheaper cards being sent internationally invalidate the attempt to save money?

The only site I've been steered away from is Magic Madhouse, but with little explanation as to why.

People don't like Madhouse because they're a bit more pricey, but unlike manaleak they have the stock. It's the Star City reason to be priced a bit higher - You know you can get what you need from them. (free delivery is available from £20 orders up.) Plus I've never had bad service from them.

Other than that, look at magiccardmarket.eu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

homerlaw posted:

Have it be something like "This creature can only be destroyed by combat damage."

"This creature cannot leave the battlefield unless it has received lethal damage."

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Quick question, has anyone seen any misprint/miscut Tromokratis? I'd be interested in picking them up if you have. (no crimps though.)

I've already got an artist proof, and an art print, so I'm thinking I'll keep picking more tromo stuff up.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I have a Foil Miscut Pearl Lake Ancient, but no Tromokratis, sorry :(

pm sent

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

Mardu seems like one of the better ones to be honest. Everyone I know seems fine with it. Temur is the one people don't like.

Thats because they're 12 and wanna laugh at "RUG Delver."

I don't blame them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Hang on, let me pull out my list of countries with Red, White, and Blue flags...

I'm playing... Luxembourg Control. :v:

Forget Esper control, I'm running Botswana Control!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

There's no disadvantage to playing it face down if you're swimming in mana, but is there any other morph you could conceivably be playing in a mono-black deck? I guess it could be Ruthless Ripper. I think you could remove the morph ability and the card would have exactly the same level of constructed playability.

Week 1, against an opponent who hasn't paid enough attention to the spoiler you get to "get em" with the morph, but after that, yeah it's irrelevant.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sotar posted:

I will give you like 13 fetches for that.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There's a retailer selling Commander's Arsenal for around $200.... is it worth it? I know that's the cheapest I've seen it, but other than the Scroll Rack and Sylvan Library, I'm not sure how likely I am to want anything out of it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BXCX posted:

Pucatrade owns, I've sent out 542 cards and received 416. Highlights include receiving a Gaea's Cradle and Judge Umezawa's Jitte, all for the low low price of tons of stamps and constant :f5:ing. It can be hellaciously grindy waiting for trades to pop up so make sure you put in as much of your collection as you can stand. When I started out I was willing to send out any trade that would net me more points than the value of a stamp, but that gets old quickly so my personal minimum has crept up to ~250 points unless something pops up for someone I know or have good trades with before.

I do basically zero unplanned in person trades anymore because pucatrade is so much less of a hassle in the age of #mtgfinance and traders wanting value balanced out to the nearest nickel based on tcg mid or asking for ridiculous throw ins so they can "win" the trade. It's also made events much more enjoyable not lugging around binders and/or worrying that they're going to be stolen.

Man, if only being in the UK didn't kill mich hope of that. Stupid postage costs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Has See the Unwritten spiked? It slots pretty easily into G devotion strategies and pantheon are playing it, which always pushes cards a touch extra.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lunsku posted:

Regional PTQ locations for the first season they're up are also out. Date is 25th of April:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptktk/regional-ptq-locations-and-promo-card-revealed-2014-10-11

They're pretty much as expected for Europe. UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany have their own, Prague has one in Eastern Europe, Stockholm one in Scandinavian region, and St. Petersburg one in Russia.

Stockholm and St. Petersburg ain't worst to reach from Finland.

I was pleased to see in london on the list i thought it may only be on the continent.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It's the mana icons. For some godawful reason, deckstats is still using .gifs for it so the android awful app does this:

Like, every other deckstats list I've seen has been fine, but they don't do the mana icons.

Yeah, I've seen that a lot too, but forgot to mention it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's cool that we're probably getting a grandma Sengir planeswalker.

Tevesh Szat, just to hear the pronunciations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

People knew Tevesh Szat by name though.

One if the five we're getting is one a lot of people didn't know the name of, and probably very few know G. sengir's name is Ravi.

Friend of mine is pretty sure the whole "character we know, but don't know the name of" is likely to be the lithomancer, to key in with whats going on in story, despite the fact that the lithomancer is almost certainly dead.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Blue Tron owns but last time I got the lock on board my opponent conceded (he was a turn away from me killing him with Wurmcoil anyway) :(
I also won my most recent EDH game with a Mindslaver lock, it ruled.

I don't have any Mindslaver, so instead of going for taking my opponents turns, I just take all the turns I like instead. I routinely win with my Marchesa deck by going off with Time Sieve and Modular guys.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Well this is an even better gently caress-everyone card.

Hey, they named a card after MTG Salvations content!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Devor posted:

Creatures with cumulative upkeep:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[cumulative]&type=+[%22Creature%22]

And even if it's something you could normally do (like add -1/-1 counters), you can just choose not to, then ignore the sacrifice clause?

Part of a Gatherer ruling from Sigarda, whose ability stops you from saccing to spells and abilities opponents control:

"if a spell or ability an opponent controls instructs you to sacrifice a permanent unless you perform an action (as Killing Wave does), you can choose whether or not to perform the action. If you don't perform the action, nothing happens, since you can't sacrifice any permanents."

So yes, sacrifice is the default action for cumulative upkeep unless you pay the cost, so it just does nothing.

it also means you don't need to pay upkeep costs on elder dragons. Think I might put an Assault Suit into my Vaevictis Asmadi deck.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

What do those even look like when opened from a Zendikar booster? They don't have a Zendikar set symbol, do they?

No, the Hidden Treasure's were off a sheet that Wizards had produced, but never put into circulation, part of the original print run, so it's a genuine original.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mondrian posted:

Yeah a conditional 3/2 that you build around is way better than a 3/3 that requires you to hit 2 fetches.
Cool opinions, keep them coming.

Well thats the point, your deck is made to ensure that it'll be the 3/2 flier, whereas Nacatl is slightly more draw dependent.

Also, Visions is knly absurd with cascade, didn't stop them banning it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

More to the point, they're giving us unloved nerds something half decent to do.

All of you with partners dont get to complain.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Since we're talking about Un-Set, after a discussion with my friends today, I asked MaRo about Un-Set Jaya Ballard. He either didn't get, or deliberately skirted, my question, but the idea was: Have an Un-set Jaya Ballard who cares about you casting spells with Jaya Ballard Flavour text.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Man, that's only, like, £80. Even with VAT, the difference is huge. I'm paying £120. (about $190, so about $160 when you take away the sales tax.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Samael posted:

I'm paying 100 quid (that includes shipping) from GamesIsland, this was before spoilers, now it's gone down to even less now, check it out.

Here is the link- http://www.shop-021.de/GamesIsland-p2514h151s188-Commander-2014-5er-D.html?sid=cab9762c01f1485ca5cac3ffb8a23fd4

I'm getting mine from my LGS, as they wanted £120, which was the same as Madhouse and a couple other places.

I'll keep an eye on that GamesIsland in the future though, cheers!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I Love You! posted:

Like 230 or something plus all the rest of the prizes, but I will probably have to turn most of that into a modern deck for the Pro Tour because I don't actually own a single deck of any sort

Good problem to have :P

Congrats!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bhsman posted:

And then you have Mercadia, where the Goblins are the ones running the whole show (at least as far as the city is concerned).

But they're still not much cleverer :P

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

It is legitimately the only promo that I am jealous of people getting.

Because it's really nice and FoWs actual art is pretty ugly. :can:

Judge Foil Hannah would like a word.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Everything always costs at least 3 with Trinisphere.

Delve now does pay. Lancelot is correct, if you delved, you have already paid.

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/11/how-trinisphere-works-against-delve/

Does anyone at the GP know if Cuneo is still alive with UW Control?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I picked up a Holiday Box earlier and have decided it should be my go-to, since it can easily fit every deck I want to bring with me in itself, rather than squeezing 3 different size and shape boxes in my bag. Does anyone have suggestions for a durable backpack that will take a holiday box and a 2 binder's (the hardback ultra pro ones) without looking hideous?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bhsman posted:

I'm rooting for Lossett here, but man if Lands isn't such a cool idea for a deck. :allears: Did the deck exist in some form before the combination of the new legend rule and the Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage combo, or was it just an offshoot of Punishing Jund?

Here's a link to MTGSalvation (unfortunately) with a primer for Lands from 2009, think Hunt said on stream earlier the deck had been around since something like 07

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/legacy-archives/184479-43-lands

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kraus posted:

I don't see why you can't demand tightness of play to the point where you are verbally passing priority back and forth verbally to end steps.

Enjoy your 0-0 draw.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Niton posted:

Random discard is very bad for the player having to randomly discard, not as an effect. Making your opponent discard 2 at random is backbreaking, but making yourself discard 2 at random is foolhardy, since Tibalt will never be card-neutral and worsens your game plan.

My friend plays a version of Legacy Pox and I'm Breakfast Burrito.
We played the other day and he won the die roll and hit me with T1 Dark Ritual, Hymn. He hit 2 copies of Undercity Informer. I still had a Balustrade Spy and 4 mana, so went off and won.
Gonna be honest, it felt all kinds of dirty to lucksack through that one.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Keiya posted:

We're doing dumb wordings and no one mentioned Floral loving Spuzzem?

It is a dream of mine to see Floral Spuzzem be issued penalties for stalling when it doesn't make its decision.

I'm a level 1 judge. I will sneak it and R&D's Secret Lair, and make my group wait for a couple minutes whilst I let Spuzzem decide, before issuing it a penalty.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any UK people, till 2pm Madhouse have the Holiday box for a tenner. I bought 3.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I don't get the demand for crimps. Miscuts can be cool, as can misprints, but crimps don't do anything for me.

What a Judas is, I believe, our misprint expert.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

First Bass posted:

"Target opponent"

Exactly. "Genesis Slave" not "Genesis Wave".

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

How does it "just deal a stack of damage"

But damage doesn't go on the stack? :confused:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

qbert posted:

Lossett just made an illegal play that apparently no one caught. He had Heliod's Pilgrim with 1 +1/+1 counter on it and Ordeal of Heliod and Ordeal of Thassa attached. He attacked, added 2 counters to the Pilgrim, then cracked both Ordeals.

You can't do that.

I spotted it too.

Not only did nobody on coverage spot it, the Commentators specifically lined out that play before it happened.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

That's not how it works, though. You can just scoop your cards up quicker than they can catch you and you can't suffer anything worse than a warning.

Unless a judge believes your super-quick scoop up to be attempting to hide cheating. The you'll be investigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Honestly I think handing 2 relatively new Magic players a pair of Vintage decks, giving them like 5 minutes to look over the cards in their decks and then having them go at it with no other knowledge, would be pretty interesting to watch.

Relatively new in this case being someone with a decent working knowledge of the rules but has only ever played Standard or maybe just the Duels games.

No, no no. Clearly we need people who have no idea how to play Magic

http://youtu.be/L0qQoWdjnms?t=3m50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKiOq5IVsM

• Locked thread