Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is relevant to the topic at hand:

I actually do think Zac Hill is a cool dude tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

I don't think anyone could reasonably expected to know the answers to these questions. If anyone tells you they know for sure then they're lying or deluded.

What if they're time travelers?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

It's an America Allies deck.

Considering the Soviets got to Berlin first there is a conspicuous lack of snow cards and bears.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, aggro is done for now, I mean everything is a midrange deck of one variety or another at this point, since creatures are awesome and removal sucks. If removal was better, there would be more pressure to play a low cost aggro deck, since answering those threats 1-for-1 is a losing proposition. Personally, I am a control player at heart, as in elixir.dec, I am hopeful that the protour comes up with some awesome UW control build I can crib from, or at the very least an awesome Sultai build.

If control becomes a real thing 1 drop aggro in the vein of monored or monoblack has a chance at a resurgence since those strategies tend to be pretty good against hard control.

I dunno, this control list looks promising as a starting point.

Also Andrea Mengucci is a CFB Contributor and his strategic content seems pretty solid so I dunno.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 7, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Misdirection gets there. In LSV's recent CF video about Grixis control in Vintage, his opponent Yawg Willed. In response he cast FoF to dig for a counter. His opponent Forced his FoF, and he Misdirected the Force onto Will. It was the most insane value play I've ever seen.

To be fair, his opponent arguably misplayed by FoWing the FoF instead of the Misdirection, but he probably didn't see how the Misdirection was being resolved, since the most obvious interaction would be to redirect the FoW to Misdirection, which is normally how Misdirection counters a spell.

This and redirecting Ancestral are basically the nut high of Misdirection.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

If I read that right, the YawgWin and FoF were on the stack when the opponent Forced FoF, and then LSV had the Misdirection. The most backbreaking play I've seen with Misdirection was Recall, Recall in response, Misdirection the second Recall in response, Misdirection the Misdirection for a net of 6 cards.

Right, I meant the misplay was letting Misdirection resolve and then casting a FoW - the exact sequence was

opponent resolves fastbonds and gushes
Opponent casts Yawg's Will
LSV: spins top, resolves a spin, then spins top again
cracks fetch
resolves fetch
cracks lotus
casts FoF
Opponent casts FoW targetting FoF
LSV casts Misdirection on FoW changing its target to Will
Misdirection resolves
Opponent casts a second FoW targetting FoF
Second FoW Resolves
First FoW Resolves
LSV resolves his spin

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

I mean, I don't disagree, but this is still probably not something a tier 1 combo deck should be able to do (courtesy of a popular magic streamer's chat):

The turn 2 kill is not something that comes up often for the deck and it's not the only deck in modern with a turn 2 kill.

It does have a better late game than the other two combos with turn 2 kills.

I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way - this should be grounds for unbanning Dread Return, Golgari Grave-Troll, Green Sun's Zenith, Blazing Shoal, and Glimpse of Nature, as opposed to grounds for banning Jeskai Ascendancy. Then we can have more combos to complain about :3:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Storm and Infect can both godhand into a T2, right?

Infect can with Glistener Elf and some combination of Mutagenic Growths and Groundswells and Lands.

Storm needs something like
Land-Cantrip, then Land-Pyretic-Desperate-Ascension-Desperate-Pyretic-Manamorphose-Past in Flames for a turn 2 kill, which isn't just a god hand but a god top 13-14 cards of the library, although extra probes or manamorphoses after turning on ascension do help. Also thoughtscour dumping extra copies of manamorphose or rituals or probe is a godsend, of course (or just multiple probes to turn on ascension as long as you can float 2RR with an ascension, ritual, and relevant spells in hand)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Treasure Cruise is a slamdunk draw 3 for 1-2 with no real caveats in the decks that run it, and the decks that run it don't care as much about card selection because they just keep vomiting what they get at a rate that the other person cannot really hope to match. When your goal is to simply hurl more lightning bolts and play more fetches/fill your yard again to Cruise a second and third time, especially with crap like fireblast and delver in the format to reward playing lots of cheap poo poo that loads a yard, Cruise is just bonkers and effectively a true (sorcery speed) recall with no downsides.

Rest in Peace and Leyline of the Void aren't relevant downsides?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Wicked Wall posted:

1. How do you deal with Courser reliably? Caryatid I know you can Bile Blight out, but is there a decent way of killing it off quickly without having to throw dudes into its annoying face? A friend suggested sideboarding Stab Wounds to make them less safe to have out, though that doesn't seem to deal with the whole 'lands as far as the eye can see' problem.

What

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

They really need someone on the show who plays competitive Standard regularly, which it appears neither of them really do. It's kind of weird. Marshall forgets the existence of any card he hasn't dealt with in coverage and if Jon knows about a card in Theros block it's by the development playtest name. (I just listened to the last podcast and he calls that blue Instant Banishing Knack so many times that I now can't remember what it's actually called.)

Banishing Knack isn't the playtest name, it's the name the exact same card had in SSE. Retraction Helix is straight up a functional reprint of Banishing Knack, presumably because Knacks are a concept associated with fairy tales and therefore are not in-flavor for Theros.

I mean, I get that it's confusing to newer players who never played SSE, but it's a bad example of a 'playtest name' or whatever the point here is because the name it's replacing is actually bad and hard to remember. It's also kind of a thing that older players tend to refer to new cards that get functional reprinted by their older printing.

Also Banishing Knack is fewer syllables than Retraction Helix.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 8, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

The feeling of "crack Wooded Foothills for Volcanic Island in response to your fetch, Stifle" is the best feeling in Magic. A close runner up is "Stifle your Storm trigger" followed by "Stifle your final suspend counter trigger on Ancestral Visions." My point is, Stifle is the best card.

Actually I'm pretty sure technically if they've identified what they're looking for they've already started searching and that means the fetch resolved. Just saying.

Also the actual best is remanding your own storm spell when they stifle it and then playing it again.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Ultra Pro makes food?

I believe they specialize in split pea soup and banana splits.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

If you wanted it you should have put a (sol) ring on it.

Ban sol ring (and mana crypt)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just pulled a Sarkhan on modo. Is it safe to assume that he will make huge waves at the PT and should go up a bit? 23 tickets is pretty good but I don't wanna hold onto it only for him to underwhelm and drop.

I don't think he's the right color or card name to be making waves

mcmagic posted:

There really isn't much room for him to go up....

But his +1 gives him flying.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the solution to drawing 11 lands by turn 11 is to draft Shadowmoor Shadowmoor Eventide.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

That fnm change got me thinking, what about "pick your own standard era", so player 1 could pick rav/time spiral and play UB pickles, someone else could do alara/scars and play caw blade, etc., maybe whatever era you pick you automatically are at the day before rotation of the oldest block, so stuff would be banned that was banned in that standard era (so no clamp/artifact lands for the mirrodin/champs player).

Maybe everyone picks onslaught/mirrodin I dunno, sounds like it could be fun, but deck legality would be a nightmare.

edit: or the store could pick an era an everyone builds to that. Scars/innistrad one month, lorwyn/alara the next.

Urza's/Masques, anyone?

I am also willing to settle for Rath/Urza

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I want to play 2004 era Extended.

I'd be down for 2010 era Extended.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Imagine the fear in the Goyfbuyer's heart when theor opponent makes their really awesome 6/7 a 3/4 and all he did was draw 3. :getin:

You seem to be under the impression that goyf using decks (G/B especially) lack the means to pump a goyf to 6/7 with their own graveyards.

Cruise is also notably not an instant.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

RME posted:

as it turns out, goyf decks also play cards

Nah man it's gonna go full circle where we go back to playing tribal cards to pump our goyfs because of the looming threat of graveyard hate.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Turns all of your player directed burn into creature burn too. Jeskai Charm can suddenly eliminate Mantis Rider, for example.

I don't know how well that would work though, I've been mostly sticking to Abzan since I have all the cards to do that.

It also lets them kill your creature with a burn spell on the stack and 2-for-1 you for some face damage.

Firedancer is better for G/W decks that don't run instant speed removal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

Is there a reason Llanowar Waste is about 2.5 times the price of Caves of Koilos, or do we get to blame price memory from when Black devotion with green splash was a thing?

Pretty sure it's because green sources are way more important for early drops in Abzan to stick the caryatid-courser curve reliably.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
With core sets rotating out I'm not sure how they'd fit Adarkar Wastes and Karplusan Forest into a land cycle. All the Apocalypse painlands are dominaria locations (except Battlefield Forge) and therefore pretty much could only be jammed in a core set but the Ice Age painlands have like two Terisiare-specific locations and the rest don't matter. The ONS fetches were vague names and not necessarily Otaria-related so they could be slotted onto Tarkir just fine.

They could just not care I guess, or I'm being optimistic here but coldsnap 2!!!!

Also yes Terisiare and Otaria are locations on Dominaria.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 14, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The good decks in Standard are always "goodstuff" decks in that they find the good cards and find ways to play them. That isn't to say if you see some card you want to play, you can never play it. Its just that you have to find a shell where it will fit and you can compensate for that card not being the best card.

That's not what being a good stuff deck means. On the other hand, if you're saying the cards are good because they're played in decks that win then that's a complete tautology and your statement is trivial.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: the last time a midrange deck wasn't just a pile was when blood braid existed and only then was it a mild consideration. You could make the case that angel-thragtusk was an engine/synergy deck I guess.

I mean, it really doesn't get "better" in terms of value than free spells or powerful 187 effects on efficient bodies. BBE Jund in standard was kind of weird in that it got so inbred into the Jund mirror match interactions that people started jamming borderland rangers and mind rots despite those not being strong cards individually.

The synonymity tends to derive from midrange mostly being relevant when the cards are better than synergistic alternatives. I'd argue B/x devotion lists were midrange strategies that didn't run on -just- Good Stuff (since Pack Rat let you turn your conditional cards into Good Stuff), but that's probably stretching the definition of midrange by quite a bit. This is mostly in contrast to mono-U devotion which ran all sorts of dregs and were definitely not midrange, being the epitome of linear deck in the previous standard, in contrast to burn occupying the aggro angle, and in contrast to U/W/x sitting on the control role.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

That's why I loved Mono-U so much last Standard. It wasn't just a goodstuff deck, it was basically two potentially insane cards and the rest was just about maximizing their potential. The deck felt like the "underdog sports team" deck of Standard. Would love to see another synergy style deck emerge this season.

Ascendancy Combo :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PleasantDirge posted:

And like AATrek said, almost never is a deck the pure brainchild of one player, it takes a village to brew a good deck.

Way to force [Chamale aka AATREK CURES KIDS] to change his name with your terrible quoting. RIP Best forum name 2014.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The only way to avoid accusations of netdeCking is tO brew aloNe in a cabin in the woods Like the UnabombEr, onlY making yourself knoWn tO the wOrld when you senD scrawling, typewritten manifestoS on the power of obscure cards to Channel Fireball.

Like Travis Woo.

I found the hidden message.

I sincerely wish Conley would put up more consistent results although IIRC he's on a playtest team w/ Ari Lax and Craig Wescoe or something.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Sounds like it works just fine with the way people talk about continuing to play with it. I don't play with it myself but I assume their current model of keeping a code together with duct tape and paper clips while issuing refunds daily is the way to go if it allows them to not pay for better programmers. What I don't get is why people continue to put up with it. I tried it for a year, redeemed a set, then left.

Well, the alternative would be to play magic with other people and nobody wants to do that either!

I Love You! posted:

There were certainly cards that were printed incorrectly in alpha/beta and other early sets. One of the circles of protection (red? or maybe black) wasn't available in Alpha. In arabian nights you could get a basic mountain in place of a rare because it showed up in the wrong place on a print sheet.

Those are the two I recall off the top of my head. I'm not sure about print combinations.

Volcanic Island wasn't printed in Alpha.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I have opinions. Sorry. I'm right a lot too. You don't have to agree with me or take my advice on anything.

mcmagic posted:

Lotus Petal into Pyretic Ritual?

Man so that's why my legacy deck failed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I thought legacy was like 5k?

2k tops maybe, for shardless BUG, which was the most expensive deck around the time TNN was released, using TCG medium - wastes, forces, fetches, and duals were all upwards of $100, as well as cradle, but a good chunk of any legacy deck also barely goes over $10.

Fetches have gone down a bit by now.

Vintage can hit the 5K range but I'm not sure about that either.

Also of course alpha duals and poo poo like that is $1k+ but thats kind of ridiculous.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Miracles before the fetch reprint, and Lands I think, yeah.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/178371-tier-legacy-decks-lists-prices-etc-update-july

Going off TCG mid BUG delver can hit 4.5k while everything else barely reaches over 3.5k. This is from july, so it's before fetches.

Miracles is actually pretty low since it's not running Trops or U. Seas.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn't mind a card like Hero's Downfall being uncommon (maybe w/ a bit of life loss to compensate), for one.

Rarities tend to have more to do with how they're expected to interact in limited than any kind of price consideration on the secondary market.

Path to Exile was easily $5+ when it was in standard (and $50 for baneslayer and $50 for JTMS were considered crazy).

What causes price inequality is that certain effects are just super-pushed for constructed and others are unplayable and those who set the prices on the secondary market have to make profit for all their initial supply, i.e. mass pack opening.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of card pushing, I realized today Sultai didn't get a powerful, efficient tri-colored creature like the rest of the clans (Siege Rhino, Mantis Rider, Savage Knuckleblade, and Butcher of the Horde).

Although their Khan is pretty good.

I believe Villainous Wealth is supposed to round out that cycle at rare. (Whoops forgot about the CDE non-creature spell cycle :blush:) The power level is pretty uneven though, since Siege Rhino and Mantis Rider are leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other CDE rares.

Edit: forgot Kheru Lich Lord (and I guess that dumb Raksasha thing) but they seem so much weaker than siege rhino and mantis rider.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Kheru lichlord is logically the last card in that cycle, and as far as powerful goes, it's up there? Unearth 2B giving the thing flying and trample, even on a random card, is pretty good. It's not "efficient" on its surface, but I'd say it's also more or less the strongest of the 5 cards. It runs counter to delve, but it is also a better effect than most delve spells anyway.

It actually doesn't necessarily run counter to delve, since you have the option of delving away your bad creatures so you're only unearthing good creatures with him.

Still, there's virtually no reason to play him in a format where Whip of Erebos exists to give you a reliable version of that effect that doesn't require paying up before your draw step.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Literally beating the 700 dollar deck with a sack of pennies.

I'm pretty sure if you were literally beating someone's deck, you'd have someone asking for you to be DQ'ed for bad sportsmanship.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Vital Signs posted:

I feel like standard has been 500-1000 dollar decks since like... Jund days or even earlier.

Although the format was known for jund, Jund itself rarely hit $500, usually stopping short of the $300 mark or so ($10 fetches, $20 maelstrom pulses, then like $10 ravines and lavaclaws). It was decks that ran Jace and Baneslayer that ran up deck prices, with Mythic clocking in around $700, and I'm fairly sure it actually dropped in price when it turned into Mythic Conscription.

Meanwhile Legacy Goblins was still in the $300-$500 range tops, I believe.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Mirrodin Block, Fallen Empires, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011.

Assuming Modern Masters isn't allowed:

For Aggro:
Zendikar, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Darksteel, Gatecrash, Alara Reborn

On the other hand, if durdling is more your thing:
Time Spiral, Guildpact, Darksteel, Rise of the Eldrazi, Shadowmoor, Future Sight

I think Future-Sight is a must-attempt because it has one of the most busted limited cards ever at common. Also worldwake is a pipe dream so for realists it would make sense to substitute that with Darksteel for old swords.

Keep in mind that Darksteel in particular is a small set with Vulshok Morningstar at common and two Swords at rare. With Alara Reborn the X-blades and Cascade are pretty absurd mechanics that can interplay with Gatecrash's aggressive themes. Shadowmoor and Time Spiral are large sets, which is unfortunate, but they have plenty of cards that are good value. I'm honestly not sure if Guildpact has aged well, since a lot of old Ravnica block suffer from combat damage being removed from the stack, so an alternative consideration could be Conflux or Scourge, since both sets have a common cycle of landcyclers.

This might be the wrong approach, but I figure looking at what the average pack in the set is likely to contain isn't a bad idea for pack selection.

Oh and if you really want to live the dream, you can always go with Betrayers of Kamigawa, in which case, good luck.

Also I guess Future Sight might be a hard set to get ahold of, in which case Shards might be worth consideration because it has a lot of solid removal at common. Also Legions is worth consideration because that's going to be 15 creatures in a pack.

On a side note: do you pick packs one at a time, like do you open one and pick your next, or do you pick 6 at once?

Because then I'd try to set aside a few to look at how much fixing you want and stuff like that.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 18, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Guess who's at it again?

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/579394297?t=33h19m0s

Can you spot the cheat? :3:

okay maybe the camera hid the land he actually exiled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I think that this time he is in the clear. I count 7 cards in the yard even with the first land exiled.

Yeah actually I looked at it again and the land on the very left gets turned sideways and yeah I guess there's brainstorm, daze, fetch, ponder, fetch, daze, fetch and he exiles 7 cards and pays 1.

Stupid cards sliding off the camera.

• Locked thread