Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sickening posted:

Wait, what card did you believe we are talking about because whatever the gently caress you are babbling about doesn't make sense.
What he said makes perfect sense? He was talking about something worth buying last year, which wasn't in the Opens at all. (I think? It was a PT unveiling I believe?)

He's making a point about the ongoing formation of the metagame and how it informs purchasing decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Modern banning is so weird though. They banned Zenith because of its interaction with an otherwise or mostly unplayed card, and then just left it there? Why not ban Arbor instead?

I also still don't understand why they bothered to unban bitterblossom.

Samael posted:

Well, we all know that MTGS is toxic, in fact, is there an internet forum related to magic that isn't completely retarded? I mean apart from here which has it's moments but is relatively decent.
Goodgamery is really good if you avoid certain parts of it, but it is descended from misetings and has a really old guard crowd so it might be kinda bleh for people from here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Madmarker posted:

Dude, loving Lord Windgrace man, we NEED a Panther Planeswalker.
Windgrace is sweet, black panther lord of urborg necromancer good guy. He is the anti-trope.

I am hoping for Serra anyway, but I feel like C14 is going to be disappointing anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ShadeofBlue posted:

I haven't read those, but I refuse to believe that they could be worse than the Mirrodin block books.
Well the Mirrodin books have a character named 'Slow Bad' but the Onslaught books have like, zombie untouchable minion sex in them so there's that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

I'm not going to go back into the previous thread hunting for the quote but I'm 99% sure that on the night when fetches were spoiled, I said they'd get down to $10 apiece and someone else said lol, no, they won't go below 15-20.
It was What a Judas, who loudly declared that "he wouldn't let them" among other things.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He means Stubborn Denial.

I feel like this metagame can go lots of places from where it is. Interesting to see the usual predicted paradigm of 'all aggro, no control' transition into 'all midrange, also midrange' though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Holy loving poo poo Pearl Lake Ancient sucks rear end.
Pearl Lake Accident seems like a card that is valid only if you get off a flash kill on something big or flash it in when your opponent will be dead on board to your set up. Otherwise yeah I dunno, doesn't seem like it does much more than the big Loxodon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eddie Whitson posted:

Caves was printed in the Modern event deck as well.
And the KTK event deck, as well.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Recreating paper tournaments. I enjoy spending an evening drafting at the store with friends. I might even take a whole saturday for a ptq occasionally. I do not want to be tied to my computer for 4+ hours to do one magic event. Take the hearthstone draft model (for sealed events) at the very least where I can drop in and play a round whenever.
Don't worry man! The MTGO feature that was in the game at launch ten years ago that allows you to enjoy this sort of drop in and play limited format is coming back!

And has been for something like four or five years now. MTGO development is just so stupid.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress.
This is actually why that clause is on the card to boot.

R&D screws you again!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zorak posted:

I dunno, Mantis Rider dies to literally every form of removal in the format so it's not like it's Lightning Angel where the 4 toughness is just stupid.
Man the LSV video he put up this week where he played Jeskai could be renamed the Graveyard of Mantis Riders. They die. They die everywhere, to everything, immediately or a turn later. His opponent on the play has 3 open? Mantis Rider just hides in his hand.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder why Andre Basista didn't run a playset of Courser of Kruphix like every other green deck for Temur Midrange.
Did you puzzle over Sigrist's list as well?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

States aren't checked during resolution for the white one, are they?

So if you have curse of death's hold on that opponent, they still gain six life for their spirits anyway?

That's pretty novel. Cool cycle thusfar, I like how political they are.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Crack a fetch, get a 5/3. Harrow, get a 5/3. Waste a land, get a 5/3.

Also note that in many cases she immediately gets back something like that and allows you to re-use it, making another 5/3 and sometimes ramping you in the process. I like it!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Lord of Hats posted:

Build a cuuuuuuuuuube
Seriously.

And then invite me over, because I never get to cube because my friends wanna play Standard :(

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nope block constructed is done with.

Sort of a pity, Theros block constructed looked pretty cool, but I don't think support for the format has been there for ages. Khans would have made an interesting format, I think.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

which would actually make cruise stronger, I think
People just post about FoW because they think they're being witty, pay no heed.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Do we get the full spoiler drop tomorrow or at the end of the weekend? I should probably know this myself but the wotc site crashed so many times on my laptop I'm scared to visit.

I'm pretty excited to see what we get reprinted.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Probs be a living dragon hanging out in a marsh, if they do it.

kizudarake posted:

With bloodstained mires being around 10.50 shipped from Amazon, polluted deltas being around 14, wooded foothills being around 11.50, windswept heaths being around 13, and flooded strands being around 14, isn't there someone here who either toxxed, or practically toxxed that it wouldn't happen?
Nah, What a Judas declared with majesty that he wouldn't let them go under ten, but I don't think he toxxed himself. Honestly not as bad as McMagic jamming in the thread for page after page about how Sorin was a bad card though, just kinda silly.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You have to keep in mind that Maro is like some alternate reality explorer when it comes to discussing Magic, and probably a little insane from it. Dude has tested thousands of cards that don't exist, played rules permutations that never went live, been in the same building as MTGO development for a decade... He probably goes through little episodes where he flashes back to rules scenarios they were working on and just answers without thinking.

He probably clings to the color pie to try to stay sane.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

The most mind-boggling Legacy gently caress-up is that neither design nor development seemed to realise what Mental Misstep would do to Legacy.
I hope everyone who reads your post understands the context that Misstep was printed for legacy, if I recall correctly.

Not the brightest, shining moment.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ramos posted:

Didn't we already know that?
We did about as much as we do now, yeah. People made that bet before.

I know I posted I hope they "reverse" the fetches to the enemy colors in the third set with living dragons, which would make for an awesome complete theme.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zorak posted:

It's kind of the simplest and most straightforward name for the set given the plot, so frankly I think it's a fair choice.
I feel like he's complaining about the simplicity of the plot, actually.

But I don't know, I think there's some bad rear end potential here. The Khans in all honestly don't sound like good people, maybe Ugin's Dragons are the team we need to take down the Eldrazi.

Plus it'll be nice to Bolas lose, dude sucks.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So set 2 has past khans, and set 3 has dragonshifted khans?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fateseal 1 is probably pretty safe to print at some point, but not as a blue mechanic (and if they can't get over the idea it shouldn't be blue, it shouldn't be printed) and not alongside scry/fetches since you're already likely approaching the limit of what WoTC considers the limits of deck stroking time in a match. So I don't think we'll see it any time soon, though I would be kinda hyped if they did since its a neat mechanic I wish my cube had uh, like, any examples of.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

That's fair, I'm just concerned why they think Daretti is worth more than Nahiri or Teferi.
Because they believe that more people will want Daretti than those two, other walkers.

Total up the red deck's prices and then remember WotC claimed supply would be much more in line with early demand. Its a little silly.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've never played in a game day, being a draft for my cube to cube and cube only sort of fellow, but isn't game day a two day event at better stores?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

This is why build-your-own-cube is the best format.
Cube is the best everything about Magic. I wish the cube thread saw more discussion :(

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ramos posted:

Well, the main issue with that is that it's time consuming. Sometimes Magic is just that: a hobby.
"I hate when Magic is time consuming, so I play Commander" just makes me giggle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cernunnos posted:

... So... how about that next set? What do you guys hope to see in it?
I'm hoping they print some stuff that helps enable non-green devotion strategies in standard again, though mostly because I'd like better stuff for my cube in that category. A lot of the gods are ... Not as powerful as I'd like.

Failing that, the template for temur khan could lead to some really cool cards.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

I've stopped being surprised at the random poo poo they break in their updates.
I try to remember the worst random mtgo poo poo but nothing comes to me. I close my eyes and concentrate, but nothing really comes to mind except a tiny voice whispering 'leagues' over and over.

It has gotten bad lately though, I mean the Fate Spinner bug was basically reproduced twice recently?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Delver of Secrets is currently this laughing scientist who is going on a gameshow cruise while electrocuting the contestants on the boat. Like Arcade, only he turns into a bug randomly through the show.

More seriously, are the commander decks likely to be more balanced in demand this year, or will the white/red ones be sought after while the others shelfwarm bumblebee style? I'm not a good judge of legacy or commander cards, but they look much better this year?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

suicidesteve posted:

That's not a format my FLGS suppors.
Its barely a format anyone supports.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The best thing about color pie arguments is the bit where the goal posts start dancing around because the color flavors are rather diluted and rather subjective to how people assess archetypes.

But "Win at all costs" is black. "An angry bear" is green.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

Now I'm curious, what's the longest flavour text on a card? Devouring Deep clocks in at 39 words. Also, what are your favourite flavour texts? I'm still partial to Goblin Offensive: "They certainly are."
"May you wake to find you were only ever a dream."

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I Love You! posted:

Try reading it out loud without using a gross LARP voice, it's impossible.
All that happens is I do the Heavy mannerisms without even trying. Maybe, maybe. But let us see you outsmart mace, necromancer!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bonus posted:

I liked it when goblin's weren't just hurr durr we're stupid and die but had a little more depth to them:

Didn't they just make a goblin planeswalker with sweet rear end spider-mastermind legs and a cool back story?

And Khans treats goblins with some nuances, they even get different depictions per clan. Ankle Shanker isn't a comedy character. Goblins are doing pretty well lately.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Soldiers stopped having mouths, Zombies grew like 15 limbs and fused together, Wizards turned into blobs except that one raven guild lady who went to a BDSM show instead, Elves just got weird looking and the Aven stopped having hands or something. The Mirari did some weird rear end poo poo to people.

Goblins grew bigger noses, I think.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

Onslaught block seems like it was really fun to draft because of all the archetypes and synergies, but it perhaps could have been a complete nightmare. Can anyone report?
Uhh there's a pair trio of unbeatable if not removed cards as commons, massive hard to remove bombs at rare and shock is a first pick.

OLS was pretty okay, but OOO is a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

I like this kind of gamestate.
Odyssey did it better. Odyssey requires you count cards in hand/yard both for threshold and flashback, and then look at the board state to see if they can flash out to block with the wererat then pitch a card to pump him back up.

The three miserable commons are Sparksmith, Timberwatch and Wellwisher. Wellwisher wasn't as busted as the other two, but what is worse - Losing to a constructed playable goblin, or trying to do 200 points of damage in a tempo based format?

Medic is pretty busted good too though, but he is second fiddle to that 2/2 aven with prevent 2.

• Locked thread