Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Do we do trades and such for MTGO in the trade thread in SA Mart? I don't know that I've seen that. I haven't seen anywhere to add friends on MTGO, either. At least some of you guys still play it, right?

I've tried. Nobody ever really responds. Also, I play 60-card, non-legacy formats. My forum name with 2 4s on the end.

Carrasco posted:

That's just a weaker and needlessly complicated version of indestructible.

It's also a card that already exists: Mark of Asylum.

It's pronounced "Yund." :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

It does raise the question of "Do I scoop when my opponents combo goes off, or do I make him spend 10 minutes making him manually do it?" I personally scoop because I play to win and I hate draws. I somewhat get the appeal of being a dick and making them go through the motions because people dislike losing but I just can't make myself do it.

I make Twin play it out every time. I don't mind losing, I mind losing to Twin. Especially considering the first few matches I played against it, they made me play out my Mindslaver lock, even though they won't ever get another turn and I have a way to kill them either with my deck or theirs. Everyone else in that situation just scooped, so screw 'em.

Every other deck I scoop once I've lost.

Also, an IRL rules question: if I Mindslaver lock someone, I'm assuming I have to make an attempt to win if they don't scoop? Ie I can't just keep doing nothing, passing the turn and run the clock down to 2 minutes before I kill them? I'm pretty sure there's some rule forbidding me from doing nothing, but how would my opponent know I had nothing to do?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

What is the best lucky charm cycle, staff of the *type* magus, creature bits (angel feather, dragon claw, etc.), something else?

Iron Star et al. Accept no imitations. :colbert:

Real answer: Dragon Claw and whatnot. It's actually a fine sideboard card against modern burn in a slower deck. My U Tron strategy is Dragon Claw then Chalice on 2 to stop Smash to Smithereens.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

darkspider42 posted:

Draft 2 was Jeskai splash Ankleshanker with 2(!)x Crater's Claws, Mantis Rider and High Sentinels of Arashin. Lost to a mana flood in my only draft lost with my opponent on 4. Best match however was the last one of the day. Game 1 I runner, runner two lands to Claws for exact damage. Game 2 I play a Claw early to remove a creature but find myself very behind but my opponent on 9 with 9 land in play. He has the pay 1 to draw a card if you deal damage with warrior and tanks for a minute on weather he should draw and actually muses "he can't have 2, right?" and decides to draw. I flip over the one card in hand and he about explodes. Feels good getting passed them picks 3 and 4 in pack 3.

Over all I think this format is really good and rewards good play/mana bases.

Lethal Crater's Claws after Clawing away something else earlier in the game feel so good. I got 2 in my IRL RUG prerelease box and they just did so much work. Even just Fireball is awesome when everyone for some reason is building their decks to durdle as much as possible.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

How do you force Twin to play it out other than making them say "I make X tokens and swing with the board"? It's fairly easy to demonstrate the shortcut and MTG tournament rules are fairly biased towards letting players perform shortcuts in the interests of keeping the tournament going smoothly.

MTGO can't detect infinite loops.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just putting it out there that there is a really good chance that Treasure Cruise is going to get banned in the eternal formats.

Oh man, don't tell the eternal thread that. It's fine! :goonsay:

I was playing vintage the other night and I went, from an empty hand, Cruise into fetch + Lotus + Cruise, cast Cruise #2. 6 cards. In 1 turn. For 2 mana. From an empty hand. It's seriously broken. No way does it not get restricted and/or banned.

But seriously Wizards, give decks other than blue and burn something good. I want legacy Jund to be a thing. Maybe we could just ban storm?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The most backbreaking play I've seen with Misdirection was Recall, Recall in response, Misdirection the second Recall in response, Misdirection the Misdirection for a net of 6 cards.

And LSV still beat Smennnennen after he drew 7 cards in a turn!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

At prerelease, I saw a guy flash in the Ancient, bounce 3 lands, hold priority bounce 3 more lands, and recast the Ancient. This meant he had no more islands for his opponent's Durdle Turtle to walk through, and allowed him to return a lethal attack when he was otherwise dead to unblockable damage. When did Aetherling ever remove landwalk from a card? :colbert:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

Stifling a fetch doesn't feel as good as Squelching one though, it doesn't cantrip.

The feeling of "crack Wooded Foothills for Volcanic Island in response to your fetch, Stifle" is the best feeling in Magic. A close runner up is "Stifle your Storm trigger" followed by "Stifle your final suspend counter trigger on Ancestral Visions." My point is, Stifle is the best card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Having 11 lands by turn 11 of a game in draft is generally not a good sign. Having 11 lands by turn 11 of the next game is probably also not good. I think I need to change up my strategies because this one just isn't working out. Any suggestions that don't involve tearing off my own hands? I don't think I need them anymore.

If you hold the lands in your hand instead of playing them, your opponent won't play anything because they'll know you have answers to it all. But the joke's on them; you can't even cast your spells because you have 11 lands in your hand! (Play Reliquary Tower obviously.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zorak posted:

On the subject of eternal format bannings, there's a lot of people already asking for Treasure Cruise to be banned, which is kind of weird / quick.

Sorcery speed Ancestral Recall: too good for modern and probably even legacy. But yeah, I pretty much called this when it was first spoiled. Especially considering there are 3 other cards that are already banned that Delvecestral is just better than. It really is an absurd card. Hopefully they at least let me test it before banning it; I haven't gotten to play modern recently and playing it off of Deathrite in legacy Jund seems too greedy even for me. Maybe I'll try BUG again.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

Didn't people want TNN banned right off the bat? Gotta let metas adjust before bannings.

TNN doesn't kill on turn 2 before you can draw any card that stops it (Erase seems a little too deep) or through several cards that should stop it. And for what it's worth, I'd still be fine with TNN being banned. What a boring card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

I should've clarified, I'm referring to cruise/dig in legacy.

Oh, ok. Yeah it seems preemptive. I can definitely see it happening, but it's not like Ascendency where it's clearly overpowered and broken. It probably is too powerful but at least give people a chance to adjust. For my part, I'm going to play a Notion Thief main in BUG and Chains of Mephistofeles main in Jund over my 2nd Library (those 2 are a pretty sick nonbo together.)

vvv: right, my point is the Ascendency is much more obvious. It's very clearly broken, uninteractive, and unfun to play against, as can be shown in numerous YouTube videos. Treasure Cruise isn't any of those things. It doesn't win on turn 2 or 3. It "wins" on turn 4 or 5. That gives you much more time to disrupt it. Too bad Deathrite is banned forever; he'd be a pretty good answer to The Delve Menace. Unban Skillbraid Elf while we're at it. I want to play Real Jund.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 10, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm glad I got my cubeset of Promo Digs when they were $12. Too bad the 8 I ordered from TCGPlayer got shipped without tracking and are currently 5 days late. :sigh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Boxman posted:

That was a pretty entertaining last two turns. McLaren's slow roll bordered on inhumane, and Lax just slamming over the double charms as soon as Shaun was hellbent was great. Lax counts out the damage, McLaren just says "okay."

He didn't know about the 2 Charms when he was tanking, so he didn't realize he was dead. Then he said he thought the Mana Confluence needed to be tapped to cast the Charm.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

So in Jeskai Wins mirrors (which is all i seem to be losing to) I really really want Brimaz instead of Rabblemaster but I feel like thats wrong against everything else in the format...

Try Satyr Firedancer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What's missing is text on creatures that cares about other creatures. Until Rhino we haven't even had many relevant ETB triggers around, except maybe Gray Merchant. There just aren't any abilities that offer much opportunity for synergy anymore, the cards are designed to be stand-alone lately. The best we have that I can see are those creatures that grant abilities for counters, we just don't have creatures like Blood Artist or Restoration Angel anymore.

The obvious answer is to reprint Flametongue Kavu.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

But that's a card that's simply good, with no respect for synergy. Something like Blood Artist, that's only good in one kind of deck but extremely good when it is, is a better example.

Reprint it with Resto Angel. :v:

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro gets asked about this a lot and the answer is always "basically no chance."

And it probably should be, disappointing as that may be. The card is vintage playable and it's one of the best 2-for-1s ever printed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

LGD posted:

No, but the average dude at FNM also doesn't claim to have created the deck and doesn't place a particularly high premium on being known as a brilliant deck designer. And if they're serious they probably did spend some time testing and making tweaks to the list and sideboard as a response to metagame considerations. On the other hand people who (seriously) complain about net-decking seem to put a lot of value on being an original deck designer, and are universally convinced that if only it wasn't for those drat dirty netdecks their latest brew would have torn up the local tournament scene and shown their brilliance to one and all. While they'd doubtless do better in circumstances where fewer people had access to tight, tuned lists, convergent evolution of decks is absolutely a thing and I seriously doubt that most people who complain about "net decking" would do nearly so well as they'd like to imagine.

I ran into this a few months ago at a legacy IQ. The guy was playing slivers. Actual slivers. And not good slivers with 20 lords and Crystalline. No disruption, no Aether Vial, no spells at all that I saw. not even good lands; just 5 color slivers and stuff like Rupture Spire. He knew that if he wouldn't have had mana problems in our games (it turns out spending your first 2 turns to play a tapped rainbow land is bad) he would have wiped the floor with me. He didn't have a single creature successfully attack in either game. This is the same guy that tried to call a judge on my Delver checklist card because proxies aren't allowed, and who I explained my "cast probe for life, tap land, daze probe, replay land" (I was mana screwed and had just drawn a Confidant) half a dozen times before he pretended to understand. Clearly a master brewer. I don't remember his exact words regarding Delver netdecks, but I do remember being moderately insulted, which is quite the accomplishment, and that I could have gotten him DQ'd if I'd felt like it. But it was the last round, so screw it. Also of note, I was playing Grixis Delver which was both bad and not a net deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Anyways, I have been watching LSV streaming Vintage Stax, and 1) it looks incredibly fun and 2) I keep wanting to get MTGO because I have decided Khans standard is the season I start playing big-boy magic at GPs and stuff, so I need more practice, but it looks so horrible and broken I just can't make myself do it.

It really is great to be able to play whenever, don't let all the whining - a fair share of which is coming from me, I'm sure - scare you away. If a playset of Wastelands weren't $600 or if Tempest drafts were at all playable (oh, you got a Portcullis? I guess I just lose.) I would probably be playing Stax now instead of RUG Delver. I'm pretty sure all I'm missing is the Wastes and Mutavaults.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I Love You! posted:

There were certainly cards that were printed incorrectly in alpha/beta and other early sets. One of the circles of protection (red? or maybe black) wasn't available in Alpha. In arabian nights you could get a basic mountain in place of a rare because it showed up in the wrong place on a print sheet.

Those are the two I recall off the top of my head. I'm not sure about print combinations.

Volcanic Island also wasn't in Alpha. Orcish Oriflamme had the wrong casting cost. One card just didn't have a casting cost. There were a lot of strange issues.

As far as actual strange print issues, I don't think it was like Legends (I think?) where certain cards just weren't available in each box or in certain regions. But the printing was far from perfect. I've heard of revised starter decks that had nothing but rares. Island was in the rare slot of some packs of Alpha. I opened a Mercadian Masques pack about a year ago that didn't have a rare, and that was well after ABUR.

Cernunnos posted:

Gotta love those Arabian Nights Mountains. :v:

They're like the 3rd most expensive mountains out there. I have my sweet white-bordered Arabian Nights mountain, so that's close enough for me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Allow me to play but don't force me to have identical collections online and offline. Maybe this means phantom constructed events or borowing a deck service or something who knows.

This is my biggest problem getting into constructed MTGO. In paper I can build or easily buy into most decks in modern and most legacy decks that don't have Tundras or LEDs. Online I play mono U Tron in modern because I didn't have to buy any $60 Cryptics, Cliques, or Batterskulls on top of the 5 I already have in paper. (Also Mindslaver is screwed so I can barely play that. :v:)

I like your idea of borrowing stuff. Kinda like Kindle has it where you can put books you're not using up for other people to read.

On the plus side, I can actually play vintage online for less than any other eternal format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Speaking of Cornucopia, I'm trying Trinket Mage in Blue Tron and I'm trying to think of other good artifacts to grab with it besides Exploration Map and Chalice of the Void?

I have one in the side of my MTGO build to dig up Chalice and Pithing Needle, and Relic of Progenitus/Tormod's Crypt.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

How does limited not turn into cesspools of cheating at fnm? Walking around limited tonight I am looking at a board state of two butchers and another game with a rhino and sorin.

Sometimes people pass a bomb they can't use? I've opened 2 copies of the same rare in a draft before. I just drafted P1P1 Mire P2P1 Foil Rhino P3P1 Foothills last Saturday.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Obscil posted:

It's on the magic stream. http://www.twitch.tv/magic

It's currently a 8-0 sultai deck vs. a 8-0 temur deck. So its basically win-win for cool decks.

Is there a RUG list anywhere?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

neetengie posted:

He said Temur so yes there is, Kibler is running it, 9-0.

That's why I asked for the list?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

*Plays Starcraft 2 on medium settings with the Open streaming on a 2nd monitor*
No problem!
*Tries to load MTGO with the Open streaming*
Computer grinds to a halt. :thumbsup:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

My guess would be Ashen Rider for Show and Tell, and Satyr Wayfinder for extra Grim Lavamancer fuel?

He has no way to cast the Wayfinder though, and I can't imagine he wants to drop that with Show and Tell. I suspect they're just there, like a Belcher sideboard.

Edit: You're right about the Riders though; I've seen that card beat Show and Tell several times.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Say you are sideboarding for game two in a match and you notice a mainboard card in your deckbox. Do you call a judge on yourself? Be honest.

I once cast Ponder, drew 3, and called a judge after my opponent told me to just put 2 of the cards I drew back. I knew it was a game loss with myself down a game and absolutely winning the game we were in. Oops.

On the other hand, I've played an entire vintage match with a 56 card deck because my Wastelands were in another deck (I had moved them over to another deck to play between rounds) and I didn't realize until I was on my way home. Neither of us were in prize contention by then anyway, so eh. Of course, if I had noticed during the game I would have called a judge and got my game loss.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Uh... why wouldn't that be a judgeworthy thing? If you represent it as lower than it is, it could cause them to make different decisions, potentially to their detriment.

"What are you at?"
"5."
"Attack for exactly lethal."
"I'm actually at 8! Sucker!"

I don't see the problem here.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

logis posted:

"My kind of EDH":

Hive Mind is out.

My favorite thing was playing Melek Storm with Eye of the Storm out. I got storm = something-teen and cast Empty the Warrens followed by Pact of the Titan for ~infinite goblins plus a Giant. My friend untaps and casts Insurrection for ~2x infinite goblins, all with haste because he resolved Insurrection last.

Also going off with both Medallions in play and killing 2 people in 1 turn with Ignite Memories. I could have gotten the 3rd on the next turn with Past in Flames if I had played better. That deck is so bad but it's so much fun when the stars align.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 22, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

xeose4 posted:

I really like Innistrad because at long last I'm seeing Red and Black cards that are interesting and mostly free of their self-harming compulsions. I don't get why people play colours that hurt themselves doing what other colours do just fine for free.

Also Emrakul was how I got re-introduced to MtG after my years of absence. I was 100% sure it was an April's Fools card for at least a solid 10 minutes of being presented evidence to the contrary. When it finally sunk in I was literally :stonk:

What's the point of planeswalkers? Didn't we already have legendary cards?

The first mythic rare I ever saw (I opened it in a pack nonetheless) was Emrakul. I've played since '94 and that was my single most :wtc: moment. Why is the set symbol orange? Colorless but not an artifact? 15/15? ANNIHILATOR 6?!

Edit: also, hurting yourself can be good. Dark Confidant might not look like anything special after 15 years off but it's one of the best cards ever printed.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 22, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

xeose4 posted:

I actually don't understand this, sorry. It just feels unnecessary? If Dark Confidant lets me draw one extra card per turn at the cost of my life, surely Blue can do that better? I've seen so many Black and Red cards who sacrifice this permanent or themselves, or make you pay life for this effect that this other colour can do without resorting to that. White has a ton of removal that doesn't require you to also remove your own things in the process, but it seems nobody told Red and Black that you could do that.

My problem with B and R doing this sort of thing is that most of the cards that counteract this (the ones that give life or lifelink) are G and W, from what I can tell. If you were building a deck with tons of life gain, I can see how you could comfortably afford to pay life for things, but that's usually not how R and B do things. They just pay the costs without having a reliable way to get those things back (other than sometimes Black's "come back from the graveyard" thing that mitigates their love for sacrificing creatures).

Let's say there was a sorcery that cost one black mana and read Pay X life: This card deals X+1 damage to target opponent. Would you play it? Of course you would because it really reads B: you win the game. Dark Confidant et al are the same way. If you win at 5 life because you used Necropotence to draw 15 cards, you still won. If you (somehow) take 12 damage from your Jackal Pup but did 20 to your opponent, you still won.

Myriad Truths posted:

Descent into Madness is a homage to Smokestack, which is inexplicably a really popular card.

Clearly you've never cube drafted it with any permanent source of tokens. It's especially broken fun with Sun's Champion.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anyway, who cares about that crap? They're finally fixing Mindslaver!

Specifically,
•Fixed: Mindslaver now allows floating mana to pay for spells and abilities when controlling a player. You must use the mana symbols in the left-center prompt box to make these payments.
And I hope this also applies to it:
•Fixed: Issue that prevented triggered abilities from appearing in some situations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

xeose4 posted:

This feels like the actual flavour behind Black. "Let's do ANYTHING for power!!!"

Dark Confidant's flavor text is literally, "Greatness, at any cost." It's the blackest flavor text.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Saw someone running siege rhino in a modern junk deck on MODO tonight. They also splashed at least 1 island for treasure cruise, in a deck that had goyfs.

Also seems like 75% of my matches tonight were against some variation of U/R Pyrodelver. Already kinda tired of seeing that deck now.

I've played it in 9/12 of my matches so far with my newer deck. The others were UR Solitaire Storm, GR Tron, and WUR Treasure Delver, featuring FIVE TREASURE CRUISES IN ONE GAME (that I still won.) It sure does make me want to play modern online!

I've been watching CFB's videos over the last few days, and it looks so boring. Caleb Durward's Nic Fit matches were 2 Viking Funeral, 2 Miracles. LSV has played nothing but Burn and UR Burn in both of his UR Burn videos.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually Mana Drain fights it pretty loving hard for that position.

Dunno if there's a clear winner but one is banned in Legacy.

Mana Drain is banned because it's miserable to play against, not necessarily for power level. Take Mana Drain out of Legacy, and eh. Counterspell is close enough (and also almost never played.) Take Force out and the format is ruined.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I may have played the same WUR delver guy, I eventually lost that in game 3 when he cruised twice and ate me up with card advantage. I'm trying out modern's version of Death and Taxes right now, it's actually a really fun deck. Won most matches tonight, lost against a few delver players and the junk player. I'm seriously considering making major changes to my sideboard for this wave of delver decks, but what would be good? I'm already using 2 RiP in the side, and I boarded in 2 ghostly prison's to fair success earlier.

I'm playing this pile.

I've gone up from 2 to 3 RiP and not regretted it for a second. It's nice because once they see what I'm doing, they usually Bolt my turn 1 creature and let me resolve RiP. I also added a Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist to my side, which I'll probably end up taking out because I've seen the Spirit exactly 0 times and the Canonist just got bounced by Solitaire before it went off. Plus I added 2x Electrickery. For value.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

xeose4 posted:

That it's probably really good when you use those "kill all creatures" spells? I mean, there are tons of ways to bring that creature back, or to make it immune to the spell you're casting. It probably works very well in a B/G deck with a lot of different creature types that are meant to be sacrificial fodder for that one, and then some regenerate/immunity spells to protect it.

Card types are creature, enchantment, land, artifact, planeswalker, sorcery, instant, tribal (this is a weird one which is almost never relevant.) Not creature types. So if all 8 of those card types are in graveyards, Tarmogoyf can be an 8/9 for 1G.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

Seems like you could grind out a lot of value just running a deck that wizards has made not work and then filing for reiumbursement every time.

A. That's super scummy.
B. They won't reimburse you if you keep filing for the same thing.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not a single night of Modern passed without having to overhear him explain Norin to someone, no one understood the deck. I was probably the only one in the room who had no fear of it, since I play Melira Pod and what's another 30 damage to an infinite combo. Everyone else had a ton of Scapeshift and stuff that REALLY struggles when you have a ton of life gain. The biggest douchebag at the store played Scapeshift, so Alex and Norin were my heroes because they made him bitch and moan so much (and always beat him).

I've been playing it for a while now. It's a lot of fun, especially online. It's actually kind of terrible to play on paper because there's so much to keep track of, especially with the Archangel. You need dozens of Myr tokens, dice, etc. Spirit Bonds makes it even more confusing. The fact that it's good against UR Burn, which is 103% of the online meta is nice too.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I played that pile for a little bit and loved it. Been meaning to revisit it and throw return to ranks in it.

:stare: I'll have to try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

(Speaking of "removed from the game," I actually ran into a player who failed to regenerate a Rakshasa Deathdealer because he assumed that Anger of the Gods worked the same way Disintegrate does. The regeneration prevention is specific to Disintegrate.)

Annoyingly enough, I tried to regenerate my Will-O'-Wisp through a Disintegrate in Shandalar the other day because I'm used to Anger. :negative:

Wait, why wouldn't he just pump the Rakshasa?

• Locked thread