Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How's the 3DS version? Does it feel like a bad port or is it a fully fleshed pretty game that works well and is well worth the buck?

I like the action style of the game and the way it seems to be focused on unlocking new peoples and things and it feels kinda of arcadey. Is it better to play in small bursts or for long sessions at a time? The former is probably preferable to me.

Sorry if it's asked before, I didn't find the info in the OP and I haven't read much of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's been said before but the N3DS version shits all over the Wii-U version honestly.

Just make sure you have a New 3DS and not just a older one.

Hooray! It's my birthday next week and I know what I'm treating myself to in that case. Final question: Cartridge or digital download? I'll probably go the latter come to think of it.

Is the 3DS one a sequel or just like an upgraded port in some ways? I haven't had any games on my radar recently and I just saw this sitting in the store and got curious.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

Are you based in America? Pretty sure the codes are region-locked. If you're in Europe, me please. :v:

What's this about codes? I haven't a Wii U so yeah if my eventual Euro version of the game is good for anyone just let me know.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have a Euro code for a Wii U user that wants the characters. Just PM and I'll send it right along (maybe tomorrow cause it's kinda late)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well I've been enjoying this game so far. I've since found out that the AI controlled Allies are good for nothing except moving from Point A to Point B, which is a pity. I've still got pretty much everyone to unlock but I'd love to get Epona, from it seems you're constantly moving and moving fast, which seems like a really great way to get things done (perhaps not capturing keeps though).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This has probably been answered, but what's the deal with, My Fairy? and how do I get one?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have to ask. What's the "C1-C5"? I figure you're talking about the Strong attack combo finishers? And if so what's the abbreviation used for Light attacks?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

The position of your strong attack in the attack chain: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Attacks

Right. At what point/level of difficulty does such strategy become crucial? I'll admit I'm just working my way through normal difficulty and having a blast more or less smashing buttons and letting the acrobatics get the best of me without any thought of "good" move sets. And that's working just fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

To the level Folt goes into it? Probably never. Some characters do have moves that are much better than others or are only good if you know how to exploit them; but I find I get more effect out of learning the maps, learning what to prioritize, and learning how to dodge than I do figuring out who has frame-perfect dodge cancels that let them one-round a boss without special/focus meter or the like.

Knowing the characters' moves in a general sense, THAT I'd call crucial, even if you just rely on one combo (whether because it's good or because it's fun).

Cool thanks for the advance. Folt's advice is intense but very interesting. I haven't even unlocked nearly a quarter of the characters but yeah, I'm sure when by the time it becomes necessary I'll have a better handle on things. Only weapon/character I can't get behind is Fire Rod Link, which in terms of nostalgia is just awesome (like everything in this game), but yeah it seems like a bad way of killing things. I'm probably missing something in regards to it though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

In regards to items: bows, bombs etc. they don't do any damage besides activating the critical point (WP-something) right? Is there one that's the "best" to keep on general stand by or is more used/useful than the others. I find that switching them on the 3DS d-pad is slightly inconvenient. I've kept the hookshot for the most part partly because I don't like Aerofols, and also since it has the most tangible movement benefit.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've heard it doesn't run all that nicely on an regular 3DS. I only have a New 3DS on which it has run without an issue, but yeah.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of unlocking KO skills, do they have to be done in one level or is it a cumulative thing?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wait. So is the update instantly downloaded if you've the season pass? And if so how and when do you unlock Medli? I'll admit I just finished story mode and I'm really just about to crack in to adventure mode and what I figure is the first map (there are other maps that I suppose are unlocked the more you advance?)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks. Glad I asked that seems super not obvious.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Also while I'm revealing how much of a dope I am, where the heck can I view all these "historical entries" that I keep unlocking, I've looked through all the menu's several times and I feel I'm missing something.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dunban posted:

They're in the tutorials section IIRC.

and not the gallery section or whatever... Ok thank you again!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Do we know how many blocks it's going to be? I really need to upgrade my SD card...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Been working on a tier list with like-minded people on this game. At present, there's currently one weapon that's shaking up the entire list right now, not least because it appears it's true potential has been slept on.

What ever happened to this? It seems like a super interesting endeavor especially coming from you.

I won't have much use for it really I guess but I'm having fun playing pretty much everyone though I'll admit Ganondorf in any form, Volga, Linkle, and Y. Link are the ones I enjoy the most (Trident and Y. Link win out for sheer nostalgia really). I'm not very far along, Link's my highest level at 53 and I'm just plugging away at it, I really need to try his myriad of weapons. Can't wait for Link's Awakening to drop though. Loved that game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

By the way, Lana's Summoning Gate doesn't actually show the bosses right? They're just orbs in Legends?

I figure that's just a limitation thing huh?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh don't get me wrong it's fantastic and definitely one of my favorite games at the moment hitting every itch possible, but I was confused when I read about the weapon and none of that stuff was happening. I thought I was doing something wrong for ages.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

943/948 blocks (I forgot) by the way if anyone's wondering. I just upgrading my microSD to 32 GB so I never have to worry about anything again! It's downloading now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What level does one have to be to really survive in the new Adventure map? I'm only about a quarter of the way through the original Great Seas map but I kinda want to see new things.

It's a pity I can't binge this game, it gets just a tad too repetitive, especially when I fail a mission (or fail at getting an A for weapons) which makes me loathe to try it right away.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What is the rupee glitch? I take it doesn't work in Legends?

I find that Skull Kid is probably the one warrior whose animations play the least. Especially his WPS seems to glitch out and you don't see the whole thing, just the final explosion. I've the N 3DS but I think it's just an unfortunate side effect.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Do item cards recharge or are they a one time only thing?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Which characters generally have the best specials for the kill 150 via special Skulltulas? And in those cases is it advisable to just ignore the element and run with the best specials anyway?

Folt The Bolt posted:

For those of you wondering how progress on the tier list is going (which is probably zero), we recently finished talking about Ruto, and are gearing up for Agitha.

Slow and steady. That's cool though. Ruto's quickly become one of my favorite keep clearers and I'm really fond of the range on her C1, but I remembering you mention the best water character is the King or something of that nature.

There's so many characters that I've hardly played with. I pretty ignore Fi on purpose, but I've noticed I hardly ever play as Cia. Still, I'm just about to complete Great Sea, with 3 weapons left to get including hers.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but any advice on tackling the block right before Young Links T2 weapon in Great Sea map? The one with all the annoying bosses. I've got Link at 58, Ganondorf at 52 and I took Volga whose at 41. Everyones at least 35 Maybe I'm just underleveled?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

Make sure to take them on one at a time. Use magic as much as you can to expose the weak points fast. I used Link with the master sword and YYYB (C4 I think?). Make sure each other character has the command to go after the boss you're currently working on. I took them on in the order Imprisoned, Ganon, Phantom Ganon. Took me two tries, Phantom Ganon can do tons of damage to you if you aren't careful. Somehow I avoided aggroing Phantom Ganon by going around the northeast path and coming back down towards Ganon after the Imprisoned.

Now, uh, my levels were also sort of absurd. Link was somewhere in the 110s, Daphnes was 50 and Ganondorf 48.

Yeah alright. I think I need to practice killing Phantom Ganon and Ganon with ease. Is it possible to use magic to break the Imprisoned while he does his belly crawl? And last question is it better to stick to one character or to switch between the 3 to work on their magic meters? I used Volga for imprisoned since his dragon form destroys his toes but if it's advisable to stick to Link, who's my strongest then I'll do so.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Magypsy posted:

The Master Sword's beams destroy The Imprisoned's toes in 2 hits if you aim them right, and yeah, you can use magic to knock him down during that phase, but if you're not careful you might accidentally miss his hitbox while he's crawling around. Switch between all 3 to get the most magic as possie out of a boss.

Would switching really be the most effective? As far as I can tell computer controlled characters don't gain magic or special attacks while computer controlled. At least I think that's the case. Wouldn't it be just as efficient to plug away with the same warrior?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Magypsy posted:

Well, every character gets half their magic filled when you surround a boss. Once you've used one character's magic to knock down a boss, you can start attacking them with another character who has theirs partially filled, so you get another full bar quicker.

That's clever. Thanks. I'll give these tips all a shot.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

After loving up twice I did some Skulltula gathering to let off some steam and I just aced that tri boss thing with 2 seconds to spare. Feeling pretty good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tetra is pretty awful. None of her moves seem good or effective for anything.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The King is great though?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Toon Zelda is cool and fast, but is there anything more to her character than a solid fast/strong attacker? There's no gimmicky bar or anything right? Does her ball mode end up in anything special? She just seems solidly good.

I need to get a better handle of the Sand Rod but it seems like silly fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's the Master Quest adventure map that's done it for me, I just don't feel like going through the same map all over again. There's no trouble just hitting the DLC maps right away, right? because otherwise my interest is gonna flag fast.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Until this very moment? No. But now? Yes.

Also, for those of you interested in the tier list I've been talking about, I've mostly finished placing everyone and everything but Ravio and Yuga. It's not really finished (there's a couple changes I want to do before officially unveiling it + I wanna get Ravio and Yuga added), but I figured I could show everyone interested in stuff like that (all 0 of you who haven't gotten bored of me bringing it up yet) the list as it is now.

What was the logic behind your rankings again? I've forgotten.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wait so that means you've either mastered every character or assembled a crack team of over 40 players. That's quite an endeavor.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry to hear that. It never ceases to amaze me how heated people can get about things. Hopefully you'll be able to get him the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool stuff. What was it that bumped the summoning gate so high? I like using it but I find it really slow.

• Locked thread