Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

5er posted:

Lana's book special isn't that hot either.

I really hated Lana's book at first, but BBY is a beautiful juggler and I never get tired of jumping into walls and demolishing hordes :allears:

Also, NNID is larchesdanrew. Want me some Nintendo buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
This stupid loving game. I'm a thirty year old man with a 6 month old child, a house, and bills out my rear end in a top hat. I have old man responsibilities and, yet, I can't quit thinking about how much I want to go home and play this dumb game. I haven't felt like this since I was in middle school and my dumb old man responsibilities means that if I can even stay awake past 8:00, I might get an hour to play it.

This dumb game makes me miss my youth :smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Yuki Akuma posted:

Look on the bright side: you get to play videogames with your kid starting in a few years.

Also, weekends.

Weekends are for cleaning, home repair, and visiting with family :arghfist::saddowns:

On the bright side, I've requested a four day weekend next week and man, oh, man. I'm gonna do some serious moblin slayin'.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I've Groosed the last five surveys I've done, regardless of game. They'll know where I stand :colbert:

Also, I want Groose's special to be him flying high on a loftwing and then belly flopping the poo poo out of the battlefield

:allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I played a bit tonight in adventure mode and was kind of bummed no one added me as a friend. Then I realized that if you quick start the game, you don't get any friend request notifications until you open the Wii home screen.

Now I may be poor in rupees but I'm rich in friends.

Also, learning how to juggle just completely turned this game around for me.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Speaking of materials, why does it seem like I pick up hundreds of materials during a stage, but when it lists everything I found there only seem to be anywhere from 7-15 things listed?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Inverness posted:

I assume you can only get 99 pieces of any one material and extras are ignored.

:aaaaa:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I discovered a pretty neat use for bombs against captains, especially ReDeads. I've been having trouble maintaining the optimal distance to avoid attacks and then manage to get in and attack before the weak point meter disappears. So, when you see the weak point meter just lob some bombs, 100% of the time it'll launch whatever it hits right to you, and since the enemies are airborne, you can do some fancy juggling to bring down the weak point meter before they hit the ground. It's really helped me out with a lot of enemies with AoEs. Arrows also work a bit to stun them, but the animation is so long the enemy is generally unstunned by the time you get over to them.

Also, I finally hit my first trouble adventure mode mission. It's the one to the west where you have to kill 700 enemies in 10 minutes and there's just apparently neverending spawns of Manhandlas and heroes. After ten minutes, I'm usually only at about 400 kills. How are you supposed to do it? Just ignore all bosses and heroes and plink down all the surrounding goons?

P.S. gently caress Manhandla.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Flytrap posted:

Yep. Bring Fi or Ruto, or someone with a reliably spammy AoE. I like Fi because you can take advantage of the fact that she's entirely invincible during her Light charge. Ruto's attacks throw her hitbox all over the place, I've swam between entire salvos before, and it always gets a smile out of me when it happens.

I'll have to retry it tonight. I probably wasn't in the best state this morning when I tried, seeing as how I was up at 3:30am with the most awake baby ever and playing on the gamepad while Thomas and Friends was on the television.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

do people find it easier to use the D-pad or the touch screen?

I hate using the D-pad, since you have to pretty much grind to a halt to scroll through everything. The touch screen is a lot easier since I discovered you don't actually have to scroll over the where the item is on the screen. It considers where you first touch the screen as the "center" and then you just kind of flick in the direction of the weapon you want. With some practice, I'm able to reliably swap to the weapon I want with almost no effect on my combat :shrug:

Evil Mastermind posted:

The biggest problem I had with the last Ganon fight was the gap between skidding to a halt when running from his charge and being able to fire the arrows. There was a lot of "run to avoid everything, his weak spot glows, stop and fire, and miss because his head moved or the weak point stopped glowing" going on.

I read a thing on the Hyrule Warriors subreddit about advanced tactics, and one of them is called shield dodging. Basically if you start dodging while the shield is up and then, maybe, shield while dodging or something (I can't remember, I'll try to find it here in a second). Anyways, when done properly, you can start stopping on a dime from running or dodging and immediately be ready to do whatever action you need to perform. The example given in the article, I remember, was being able to stop in front of a chest and open it in the middle of combat without having to faff about finding the sweet spot and wait to come to a complete stop.

Edit: Here it is Basically, while running, hit block and then dodge and you'll immediately stop and go into a block stance.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 6, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I've had the gauntlet for a while now but haven't had a chance to use it.

Holy poo poo I love this thing. XXXY is basically a one shot keep destroyer.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Oh, man, that Epona victory cinematic is too :3: for words.

Holy poo poo Cia wrecking the poo poo out of Dodongo's weak point meter :aaa:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 7, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Hyrule Warriors - Fight long enough to be the hero, or you become the boobwitch

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm still in the babby steps of adventure mode, so I haven't seen the really nutso challenges, but last night I did a level 58 network link with a level 32 Link.

Seemed simple enough, defeat Fi and don't let Zelda flee. I was in Gerudo Desert and booked it to an enemy keep right in front of me. After killing mooks for a bit, I realized something was very wrong here. There were a LOT of mooks. My framerate was crawling and I took a moment to look around.

Holy balls I was surrounded by a Lizalfos messenger, two raid leaders, four champion Big Ice Poes, three champion ReDead Knights, three or four Fiery Aerolfos, and more moblins than I could count. At some point Impa appeared and joined in attempting to slaughter me.

All said and done, I finally managed to capture the keep and kill all the enemies after an almost 20 minute skirmish. My only saving grace was my Hearts+ bonus and the fact that I got several level ups during the process.

It was crazy and stressful and an absolute blast.

During the fight, I figured out a fun sort of bug with bombs and juggling enemies. If you bomb an enemy and they get launched, they'll fly through the air towards you. You can juggle them a bit, and once they land, if you start another juggle combo before they can stand up, the momentum in which you originally launched them carries over and exponentially grows with each time you juggle them until they manage to fully stand up. I managed to get a ReDead locked in a corner juggle comboing him over and over and over. I was doing next to no damage since I was such a low level, so I got to go through 14 juggle combos. He worked his way to the doorway on that last juggle and flew clear across the desert at the speed of light. I chuckled a little.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shadowlyger posted:

Invest in getting his full combo immediately. Bask in the glory that is Ganondorf's YYYYYX.

I recently unlocked that and it's pretty damned :black101:. Nothing is more satisfying than finishing off one of those goody-two-shoes heroes with a giant shadow Ganon claw swipe. Sadly, it's far too slow of a build up to be useful for anything, but it's still really cool and fun for casual runthroughs.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shadowlyger posted:

Um? You can clear entire keeps in one shot with that attack, how is that "not useful"?

If you're trying to avoid getting hit, the three seconds you spend winding up leave you very vulnerable. It's insanely powerful if it goes off without a hitch, though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

The one thing I'm disappointed that this game doesn't have is situations where you fight the playable characters wielding their non-default weapons.

I had a situation sort of like this on a network link today. I was blasting through the water temple and something really odd caught my eye. I went over to check it out and in the middle of a bunch of hyrule soldiers was Link, chilling at an outpost and wielding the 8-bit sword. Never thought about guests using other levels of weapons, but that was a pretty obvious example of it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Can confirm

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

All Attacks Are Devestating, No Attack Items.

gently caress.

Sheik.

Water shield + electrical shield.

The End.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Could someone give a quick primer on Volga to make me good with him? Don't get me wrong, I can see that he's great, but he's just not clicking for me. What's the deal with his strong attack and combo finishers? His weapon description is kind of vague, and sometimes I can make his strong attack break weak points, but not consistently.

Also, holy poo poo Wizzro's 360 bullet spin attack chews through loving weak points if you're standing right up on the boss. Apparently the hit box for each bullet completely encompasses Wizzro at first, so you end up hitting the boss a hundred times in the span of a second.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Zertoss posted:

Link's level 3 sword mission was not prepared for me to bring a 4 star Chain Chomp. That weapon causes it to rain Rupees to the point that it actually chokes my framerate.

I've got something similar with an assortment of five star Magic Rods. My first first five star Magic Rod dropped with 6 slots, five of them filled with Strength II, Strength III, Strength IV, Strength V, and Fire+. I threw a Strong Attack+ on there as well, which added with Fire+ makes the strong attack a pretty bitchin' crowd clearer. I've dubbed it my progression rod.

The second five star Magic Rod came loaded with every drop modifier. Rupees+, Materials+, Stars+, Slots+, and Hearts+. It's my farming rod.

I use the Progression Rod for any stage that lets me use Link, and I use the Farming Rod for just loving around. Progression Rod's BBY chews through just about anything from captains to generals, and BBBBY is pretty much an instant keep clearer. It really has just about trivialized a good many levels I've gotten to use it on.

I remember when I first got the Fire Rod, I told myself that it really sucked and I'd probably never use it. Now, I can't really get used to using anything else :/

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Rirse posted:

We all know that Sheik is really powerful, but I didn't know her having the water shield up ignores the Redead/Gibaro stun attack! I only found out because I forgot to roll away from one and she was still moving.

Cia, as well, when you use her strong attack to charge her with dark power she is also immune to knockback, which also means she is immune to redead stuns.

EDIT: Interesting read on Reddit about "Hidden Techniques.". I had no idea you could do things like charge the fire rod's strong attack, do counters, or do special attacks with the gauntlet while holding poo poo.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 22, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Yeto, Renado, Mayor Bo, Malo, Darbus or Barnes would all be cool additions. My guess is that it's probably going to be Telma or one of the crew in her bar, though. I just hope that the weapon goes to somebody besides Link, I can barely use all the ones he has already!

edit: the spinner as a weapon, but for Midna :getin:

I secretly want Shad as a joke character. All his moves will be him referring to his research on the subweapons Link found in the game and trying to use them, but failing miserably as he screams in terror and is flung around the battlefield on the spinner, shot across the battlefield with dual hookshots, or is chased down by a rampaging statue he's possessed with the dominion rod. :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm going to offer what I know is a controversial opinion: Zelda sucks and is unfun.

Looks like you made a typo, but I totally agree, man.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

KingEffingFrost posted:

Just got to the Cucco Festival mission last night. Was a lot of fun, would attend the Cucco Festival again.

I tried it last night. Ganondorf got his poo poo thoroughly wrecked by a golden cucco's single peck. Did not enjoy the cucco festival.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

For the past week or so, my network links only give level 3 rods. What's up with that?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

Manhandlas are just awful. They are the complete opposite of fun to fight against. What's the best strat to make them go down fast?
I've been staying up close and blocking but the gas attack and spazzing out attack will get me. If you stay well-back do you have enough time to run up and use the boomerang when he's vulnerable?

You don't really have to be close to boomerang it, as long as you're locked on it'll pretty much hit all his heads no matter where you are.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Fix posted:

All I want for DLC Christmas is a Cucco weapon type.

There we go

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I've been putting off and putting off Zelda's level two baton mission after hearing all the horror stories in here. I finally decided to say gently caress it and just try it to see how bad I'd get massacred.

It was... really easy. I did it at 34 with a 3 star wand with +electricity on it. I think the windwaker sort of just clicked for me. C3 gathers enemies in a nice pile in front of you, dodge forward and do two or three C2s and then step back and do another C3. You can keep doing that until you get bored or build up a special. I pretty much just spammed that series of movements all over the map and it was kind of fun.

I also like the kill 1000 enemies missions. I'm starting to think I'm just weird.

Also finally Great Fairy. She's pretty drat fun, and I love that all her moves take so long to perform that you pretty much end up breaking captain and general weak points 100%, since they'll do a special move and go weak before your current move is done.

This game :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

It's a little surprising that there have been absolutely no leaks about the Twilight Princess pack.

I came here to say literally the same thing. Is there absolutely no info other than what's posted on the official site?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The more I think about it, the more I want it to be the Spirit of the Hero as the playable character.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Well, maybe an outfit for Link.

Also, I'll refer to my earlier post about my dream Twilight Princess character.

larchesdanrew posted:

I secretly want Shad as a joke character. All his moves will be him referring to his research on the subweapons Link found in the game and trying to use them, but failing miserably as he screams in terror and is flung around the battlefield on the spinner, shot across the battlefield with dual hookshots, or is chased down by a rampaging statue he's possessed with the dominion rod. :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So is the "one new weapon" for the Twilight Princess DLC the Spinner? Or is the spinner a separate thing from the DLC?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

My wife has been sick and I've been on full-time daddy/housekeeper/nurse duty for the past week. As a thank you my wife showed up with a pre-order for some Amiibos, so I ain't even mad.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Octolady posted:

Stuck on this lvl 2 baton mission. I've played it about 8 times and I'm running through it like clockwork but taking too much damage. Just had a really good run and was like wtf when no chest spawned.

4100 damage :smithicide:

Learn to love the C3-C2-C2 synergy. Also don't hesitate to tap C1 to give yourself some breathing room.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

a cartoon duck posted:

Her focus special attack is even those spinning floor tiles from the 2D Zeldas.

:aaaaa:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

What's this C# terminology I see in the thread? I'm new to Warriors games and I'm having a rough time following along.

C1 = Strong Attack (Y)
C2 = BY
C3 = BBY
C4 = BBBY
C5 = BBBBY

Edit: You guys type too fast <:mad:>

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Just had a horrible bug happen where one of the Imprisoned's toes just stopped being damageable. It was there, but I couldn't damage it. Luckily I was able to plink the rest of its health down with specials but holy poo poo.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Considering it's Twilight Princess themed DLC, I'm going with the Hero's Shade for Link's costume. I mean, it's technically Link, just super dead

Also, bring on more waifus :jerkbag:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 18, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Taear posted:

You sort of wonder how they're going to fill an entire map with only 6 weapon squares available.

16-bit weapons! :circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Doc V posted:

-Level cap raised
-Maximum amount of owned materials increased
-New potions added to the Apothecary
-New medals added

Which smiley accurately combines :getin: and :smith:? Because I'm so excited about this, but I'm never gonna be done with this game.

• Locked thread