Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone else on 16.0.2 using Spark as their email client have notifications disappear quickly and the badge icon either not display the correct number of unread emails or not display at all?

What's weird is this didn't happen during the 16 betas at all.

I’ve had that happen over the years with Spark. Usually toggling notification badges in the app and restarting my phone has fixed it. If not I’ve sent them angry tweets before and that made me feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

canyonero posted:

I think blockers like 1Blocker are for Safari only. You have to use something like NextDNS for in app browsers.

Yeah, it'll work if you can change the in-app browser to Safari, which should pop out that little separate instance of Safari. If you can't, though, then DNS blocking is the best option.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
There are no ethical apps

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

What's a good audiobooks app if I have a bunch of mp3 books?

Bound is the other big rec there

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kindle personal documents don’t show on the desktop apps.

BookFusion does this on a webapp. Worked great last year when I needed it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is the go to torrent app?

Apple doesn't let those on the App Store. You could always rent a seedbox with Transmission on it I guess. Or VPN into your home and access transmission over the network.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

manwithoutskin posted:

Thanks for this post btw. This isn't anything I saw in any of my normal news channels. I swapped to Bitwarden over the weekend hoping the opensource platform keeps them in better shape. I cleaned up my list and only had 30 or so passwords to change. I saw some folks on Reddit with hundreds and hundreds of accounts to secure. I guess my internet security isn't optimal because on sites like this I wouldn't use a password gen.

What do folks use for news apps? Do y'all like Apple News?

I use Apple News. Is fine. Feedly for any random RSSes I need.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What are the ways to get a simple text snippet from an android phone or windows computer to an iPad?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

iCloud website

Like in a note?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

What's the best option at this point for using an iPad as a second screen on a PC?

I’ve always used Duet for that. Works just fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Best app to Remote Desktop from either an iPhone or iPad to control a Windows PC?

Preferably free, or single purchase.

Jump Desktop is a per-device license and free for Windows. My preferred option.

Microsoft Remote Desktop (aka RDP) is also excellent if you can be on the same network as the host PC, otherwise don’t expose its port to the network or anything. Easy enough to setup WireGuard or tailscale and use that.

VNC viewer is free but I don’t know what their cloud thing is like. Shouldn’t be necessary with a similar vpn setup as RDP.

TeamViewer is free for “personal” use and one of the best options.

Completely left field option: Steam link. You can setup a touchscreen control shortcut to win+d and just use your computer normally through the steam link.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

IIRC you will also have to enable incoming RDC connections on the Windows machine

I think it’s a pro feature, isn’t it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do any of the calorie tracking apps have good Siri or shortcut support? Would be nice to be able to do a “hey siri, add a bowl of Frosties to my breakfast calories” or tap a little NFC tag for regularly eaten snack and have it track quickly.

Pretty sure LoseIt! has this and it's been way better than MyFitnessPal for me. Canadian.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

What subscription apps do you use?

I'm using Drafts Pro ($19.99/year, amazing general purpose text editing, processing, scripting), no ads for Overcast ($9.99/year, using it for badly recorded podcasts), and trying out TickTick ($2.99/month, persistent reminders that I can't ignore, multi-platform).

Of these, I’m probably going to get the lifetime license of strong before it rolls over and I’m actively moving away from the apple one stuff since I don’t really use much of the whole package lately.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

I love Overcast generally but the UI definitely has gotten worse. Now even podcasts with chapters seem to be able to display the current chapter but I have absolutely no idea how to skip ahead or view a list.

Little icons will show on either side of the timer bar when there’s chapters, but tapping them does nothing for me.

Swipe right to left

https://i.imgur.com/KQBywtq.gif

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

crestfallen posted:

Is there a consensus on the “best” free or small cost spaced repitition software (like Anki) that syncs iOS and either web or Mac?

I use brainscape with my students and I think it's perfectly good. I used to use studyblue but that's gone now

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Good ereader for iPadOS / iOS? I have many different formats.

Panels for comics and cbz files
Marvin 3 for ebooks (epub, mobi, whatever)
GoodReader for PDFs and random other poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’ve always wondered these things as well, op. Keep us posted if you give it a go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alright I'm ready to give up. Does anyone have any good pain tracking apps they could recommend? I'm pretty close to just using a spreadsheet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

I use the Heath app to track my meds, what are you looking to do?

I’d like to be able to independently rate pain in different parts of my body. It’d also be good if I could at least add some notes about food, sleep and activity so I can see how those correlate. I just don’t think I’m ever going to see a pain clinic again so I’m trying to be more active in managing it myself.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recs. Looks like "Manage my Pain" is very good. I especially appreciate the webapp and granular reminders

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

idk why would I use a whole app to search things when I can just type it in the browser bar

Lots of the time I just want a one-off search and don’t want to have to deal with the tab in the future so I pull up DDG or Google.

At least, I used to, now I almost always use perplexity.ai’s app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

zhar posted:

Is there a recommended translation app or is the builtin translate generally sufficient? It's for someone travelling to Chile.

The conversation and offline stuff has been very useful for me in the past, and it used to be way better in the stock translate imo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's the go-to for finding areas of poor wifi in my home? I assume an ios app is the way to go for this. I have Fing but not sure how it's supposed to do this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m looking for an app to store and view pdfs of hundreds of video game manuals so I’d like it to have a robust organization feature… it’d be great if it had some kind of bookshelf look but I doubt anything has that anymore.

I found this old pic for an Android app and it’s exactly what I want. But I wasn’t sure if anyone knew of a iOS equivalent.

I think Panels may have the best bookshelf kind of view. Or GoodReader with a tile view

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh how do you feel about Files’s tile view? That would probably be by far the simplest way to go. Just save your manuals to iCloud or whatever cloud storage you want and look at the folder in Files.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
EFb

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
For that “add to Home Screen” button when sharing a website, is there any way to control what type of thing it opens? I have one for Overseerr, which is an app for requesting files, hosted on a computer I own but accessed over the internet. Another one for speed.cloudflare.com.

The Overseerr one opens like a tight native app. I wouldn’t know it was a website, there’s no UI for safari or anything and it doesn’t appear as a tab, just closes like any app. The cloudflare one just opens a new tab in safari.

What guides this behaviour?

Oops now I found it, of course. It’s up to the developer to include a specific tag

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5967053

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 7, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kind of a long shot but is anyone else having trouble logging into the Kroger app? The app refuses to let me log in citing incorrect credentials but I can log in on the website just fine and I was logged in in the app until recently.

The reason this kinda matters to me is because Kroger has a ton of coupons and savings that aren’t advertised in store. The Kroger app can be used to scan barcodes which opens the product page and then you can see if there’s any coupons or cash back to clip to your account. It’s a non-insignificant savings.

Are you using any content blockers or custom DNS like nextdns or Pihole?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Oh I would love if Paprika could OCR stuff, I have a few America’s Test Kitchen Books with favourites in there I don’t want to have to type out!

Seems a little less useful now that ocr is in the camera and photos apps, but for big batches for sure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Grumbles posted:

Arc, the beloved MacOS wunderkind web browser (it is actually good and it makes the internet way easier to use), just released their new iOS browser. It's very early, and missing a lot of stuff, but it's worth playing around with, and the company behind Arc are still full of boundless start-up energy where they iterate quickly.

The big thing is AI integrated search - put in a web search, and you have the option to either go to google, or Arc will search for you, and then GPT up a summary page that gives you the answer. When it works, it feels like you've taken a big sidestep around all of the horrible to navigate clickbait web (which is, I guess ironically, itself on the road to mostly being churned out by LLMS) and actually got the answer to your question.

I found myself agreeing with this Verge article, which suggests that this is probably the future of any kind of usable internet and the kind of thing that will probably end up replacing the web for most intents and purposes
https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/28/24053882/arc-search-browser-web-app-ios

Worth playing around with anyhow! I might even set it to my default browser and see how I get on. I suspect because it just came out, the AI bits seem to be struggling a bit in a way that they weren't earlier on today.

I’ve been using perplexity.ai like this for like a year now and big recommend. Kagi goes a long way to restoring search functionality but it’s expensive, and perplexity and arc are currently free. So ‘ales sense!

The arc search app is very good, but I would rather point it at Kagi so it doesn’t pull in so much tangential bullshit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

What are people using for two factor codes lately? Seems like three main categories of options:

1) Dedicated app like Google Authenticator. This doesn’t seem to have any autofill but it’s very easy to generate a code and use it on something other than my phone. Used to be very easy to lose all your codes with your phone but I think this has backup now.

2) Use the support built into 1Password. All my password-like things would be in one place. Pay for this already.

3) Use the support built into iOS. No dedicated app. Not sure how to get the code for use on other computers. Presumably best autofill?

I was using Authy and bitwarden. Slowly moving over to all in bitwarden. Big recommendation for bitwarden too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah this me too but also moving (slowly!) from Google too.

I kind of thought it would be a bad idea to have 2FA codes also in your password manager? If you don’t then there’s additional layer of security I thought?

Yeah I feel this way too but I’ll keep bitwarden’s token in Authy, that way if someone gets my password, they still need my phone and its password/my face.

Then they do have like every account ever but like, I think I’d have bigger problems at that point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nah you’ll just be doing work for no reason but that’s kind of the definition of a hobby so go hog wild. :)

Personally, I like exploring new features like the fact that Photos now does a pretty good job identifying species of birds!

And it doesn’t creep me out because it’s local to the phone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skeezy posted:

Who cares, do whatever you want.

I kill my apps all the time and charge the phone all day I don’t care. Charge my drat phone to 150% who loving cares.

I wish I could be like you 🤩

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Might as well unscrew the light bulb after turning the switch off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

Apple News is only really good for seeing what The Discourse™ in mainstream media is for today and if the discourse includes topics or outlets you don't want to see then you're hosed. You cannot opt out.

Also I can't believe they turn on news notifications by default because there is no way that does anything for anybody except make their day worse. Beep beep, a bunch of loving people just died horribly!

Yeah I wish Apple News was a little more customizable. There’s a lot of unfiltered propaganda there.