Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

1blocker y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

Is there a goon-favorite YouTube app? I've been using Tubex but it seems to have a problem keeping me logged in; I'd prefer something that is updated with support for iOS 9 split screen / PiP / iPad Pro resolution.

I think all of the third party YouTube apps have this issue. Protube or whatever does at least.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Why don't people like Waze again

Waze rules.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dugong posted:

What are the best iMessage stickers? Is Pusheen ruling with an iron paw?

Pusheen and :parrot:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

gently caress yeah. :allears:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Coming from Android I still think Google Now/Google Assistant is just better. Siri hangs up a lot with anything it's stupid.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there a decent replacement for the News app if you don't live in the US?

I know I can just change my region but that brings its own problems.

No clue if it works outside the US but the Buzzfeed News app is surprisingly good.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seriously YouTube Red is worth it you watch a ton of YT. Plus it works on more than just the phone so that kinda owns.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but it's yet another $10 a month to pay. Is it really worth it?

Personally yeah, I watch a ton of vids and just having the convenience of not seeing adds and having background video playback is worth the $10.

Also I spend $10 on dumber things so this is actually not bad for me on a month to month basis. That being said I understand it's not feasible for everyone to bother with a monthly payment.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

grvm posted:

You also get google music plus in that price tho, so you can cancel Spotify if that's one of your $10 a month subs and come out pretty level.

I wish the GPM app was better because I'd cancel Spotify for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

[quote="“Quantum of Phallus”" post="“475994187”"]
:siren: ProTube has been removed from the App Store 👿👿👿 :siren:
[/quote]

http://jonasgessner.com/protube2-statement.html

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I want to like Tweetbot but I can't stand not being able to see like/retweet counts in the feed and always go back to the stock Twitter app after 3 minutes.

That's my biggest issue with third party stuff. I love having no ads but not at the expense of missing like/rt counts.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does twitter offer personal use api keys? If so, how about they tell people to go get their own key and paste it into the app.

Yeah that's a lovely process that no one will actually do and will kill the usebase of the app, but it sounds like they're on death's door already.

I’m pretty sure this used to be the workaround for something Twitter did ages ago. Using a key of some sort.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FYI, if you go ahead and give a tip of any amount in Tweetbot 5 you'll get some new themes from doing so. It's really neat.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where do you see this at? I thought I bought or tipped them before but I don’t see any themes other than light and dark. I don’t even see a way to tip them.

Go to settings and hit support Tweetbot on the bottom. As far as I know this is new for version 5 at least in regards of getting themes for tipping.

You can do the $1 tip and after you’ll unlock some more themes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

What podcast is the Teachers’ Lounge? Is it a Stitch exclusive?

Seems like it’s a comedy podcast. It’s an improv group doing a podcast as a cast of teachers.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This is Marc Maron for Leeesaaa Mattress.

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/e1-e1-sells-out-30

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The official Twitter app has a chronological feed now so it’s really not as bad as it was before. Yeah it still has ads but I just really like the push notifications.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Snowy posted:

What’s a good radio app that would have a good selection of uk and australian stations? I’ve been using a decent British rádio app but the amount of ads is killing me.

E- weird, I don’t know why rádio is autocorrecting that way

TuneIn Radio?

I've been using it for years with no issues.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Big fan of Pocket Casts but I really just dislike the new version they put out. Overcast has been my go-to for a while and it just works for what I want.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It took a decent amount of loving with settings but I finally got it just how I like it and I don't think it's missing any key features I need or anything.

Plus I save a bunch of time by using it!

:911:

I think I just dislike that instead of deleting Podcasts it archives them or whatever and it’s just a weird flow for me. Tbh I’m just used to Overcast at this point and don’t want to change back.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It’s similar to how the default iOS messenger looks now I guess. Hasn’t rolled out to me yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How's LastPass in comparison to 1Password? I recently started using LastPass because I heard some praise for it and it has a free option, and it seems to be getting the job done so far.

These 1Password features seem awesome:

but it costs monthly and I really don't need any more things to pay for every single month.

LastPass does have the autofill on iOS option as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

...where is that? I just downloaded the app to see if that option was there and there's only the option to sign up for a free 30 day trial and then $3.99 monthly or $35.99 annually after the trial.

Also I went into Settings > Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords and LastPass was an option in there, so I enabled that.

If that feature is in LastPass and there's a free option, is there any real reason to switch?

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

They don't really have this on the site because 1password is pushing the subscription over the one time purchase license.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can’t figure out the 2FA thing with 1Password. I’m using Authy but it would be nice to ditch it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

Spotify moved the repeat button back to the main play screen, thank gently caress

For now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Phone posted:

did marco/overcast nuke their syncs/backups in the last 2 weeks?

i had my phone replaced 2 weeks ago when apple couldn't repair my original 6s, and everything came up fine from the backup. but today when i got a replacement for the replacement (due to the screen glue failing), i restored from a backup and overcast didn't load up my profile or sync any of my podcasts. the website says that the email doesn't exist even though i have an entry for it on the keychain...?

I haven't had an issue with Overcast restoring a backup or anything of that sort.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I love it when an app that I paid for updates into an ad-supported free / subscription app.

Looking at you, Twitterrific.

It’s not that bad

https://support.iconfactory.com/kb/twitterrific/twitterrific-6-purchase-policy

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

There's still no way to get twitter links to open in a third-party app instead of the official client if you have it installed, right?

You should be able to use Opener to fix that issue. Some apps however do allow third party Twitter apps to open Twitter. For example Apollo lets you do that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

How do I add profanity to the dictionary in my 11?

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1175421379656728577?s=21

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tankadillo posted:

Are there any fonts available yet? The font section of the settings sends you to the App Store, but I don’t see a font section there. Searching for “font” returns a bunch of old apps that just look like Unicode keyboards.

Fonts aren’t a thing yet, maybe in 13.2?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tankadillo posted:

Are you sure? There’s a font section of the settings, and it has a button that takes you to the App Store to install fonts.

As far as I can tell, though, there are no actual fonts to install.

Honestly? I’m not sure what Apple has in mind there, I just figure it’ll be pushed with the next release.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For those of you who care, Instagram was updated today to support dark mode on iOS 13. Now if only they could make an iPad app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I can’t tell if this is due to ios13 or an app update for the YouTube app but in ios12 days I could drop out of the YouTube app in the middle of watching a video, come back to the app in many days and the video would still be where I left it. With ios13 and the latest YouTube app sometimes the app will behave as if it’s cold starting even after just dropping out of the app for a few minutes and I have to go back to my watch history to find the video I was in the middle of. Very annoying.

This is an issue with iOS 13, apps don't seem to stay in memory as long as they used to.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

vote_no posted:

With NuMu shutting down, is there an alternative app for tracking when new albums by specified artists are coming out?

Music Harbor: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/musicharbor-track-new-music/id1440405750

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fantastical 3.0 is out today. They moved to a subscription model, $5 a month or $40 a year.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I wish my life demanded to use of Fantastical because I kinda like how it looks now but I won’t use even 90% of what it offers.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I appreciate that all the stuff from Fantastical 2 moves over to 3 but I’m not big on F3 pushing the premium sub heavy now. Would rather they put all that stuff in the settings and if I want to do that I’ll do it. Don’t want to be reminded constantly that a lot of the stuff is behind a sub now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Is there another app where you type/dictate the details of a new calendar event into a single field and it reliably parses out the name, time, date, etc? That's my favorite fantastical feature

I believe you could do this with Siri if you type to it. If not I think Calendar 5 also does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think it’s possible now to do on Safari? The actual app doesn’t have this feature and it certainly isn’t a YouTube Premium thing currently.