Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like Google Play because they had a promo for $8 a month vs the others which were $10 in Canada. Also you can upload your own albums to fill in cracks with what they don't have (mostly stuff like Led Zeppelin, Beatles etc). I think spotify has that too?

I used to use Rdio and liked the app but Google pulled me in. I tried spotify and didn't like the app but a friend much prefers it to google's so personal preference. I can't remember if you can upload your own tracks to spotify though.

I find the Google "I'm feeling lucky" creates good playlists for me, ditto the radio stations for artists or tracks.

Can't speak on Beats because it hasn't come here. I'm hoping Google integrates the songza curation soon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There are a few bands like that with enough clout to keep their stuff off the streaming services. This is where Google Play shines!

And I find the radio stations work pretty good, better than Rdio's anyway. I would get a ton of repeats with them. Plus Google bought songza so will hopefully integrate that sometime but who knows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I see that VLC was taken down from the App Store. What's a good free alternative for playing MKV files?

nPlayer!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ICQ is indeed still around!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So it used to be Goodreader, but is there a new good option for reading and annotating PDFs? Both iPhone and iPad, and supports Dropbox

Pdf pro 2 looks pretty good, any recs for that or something else?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well at least they're still going unlike iSSH :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bummey posted:

Does Reeder 2 work well on the new devices/ios8? I like the bare bones interface and functionality of the original Reeder but it's crashy as gently caress on ios8/6+ and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the new one or find a new app. I've tried a few different RSS readers but they all have a lot of dumb interface bullshit like featured stories, giant graphics, and other nonsense things getting in the way of my "list of feeds, list of articles, read articles, move on with my life" familiar routine of Reeder.

Works good, I gave up on feedly and the couple other options I tried because they were crashy as gently caress and locked to whatever service like feedly.

My only beef with Reeder 2 is it isn't iPhone 6/+ native yet, it looks like. So it's a little fuzzy.

That and I'd like to be able to change the color scheme.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Reeder 2 just got updated for iPhones 6/6+, looks great!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Does the Yahoo Weather widget constantly crash for anyone else?

Yeah it acts weird for me. I think my location is only semi-supported for weather data (I don't get the current conditions other than temperature) and the Flickr photo is just a stock default one rather than a local one so I figured it was all related to that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh god app developers are controversial too now?

No need to elaborate why, I just.. Don't care.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got Workflow now I feel like a dumb idiot because I can't think of any workflows worth building.

I have pretty much the same problem with Automator, I should have known!!

It's a very nice app though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone recommend a video player that does DTS decoding that is better than nPlayer? With the v3.0 update I have to pay for it again if I want DTS. I'm fine with that, it has been a few years, but just wondering if there are new options to consider.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am using Crystal because it is free.

I may get Peace, I like how it has a comments blocker.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

badjohny posted:

Crystal is .99c now.

Think I am going to wait a few days and let some reviews of the blockers come out. Seems to be a lot of them flooding the store now.

Ooh that was a pretty fast limited time sale.

It seems to work good for me, I haven't seen any of those awful info-ads that are on the avclub, thank christ.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

When I can block poo poo like this:

gently caress em

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Tapbots just tweeted that Tweetbot 4.0 (now universal) was submitted to the App Store. No mention of podcast, weather, or password manager support, though.

Awesommmme. Is it a free or pay for upgrade?

Just curious I'd be fine with paying $2 for a new one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Been a while since I upgraded.. Probably the app I use the most so $5 is alright too. But that's it!!

Of course free upgrade would be the best..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slowhanded posted:

The iPad version is literally straight from 2012, so I've been dying for this update.

Yeah even if they just made the current iPhone version universal I'd be happy with that. The ipad one is really showing its age. Also support split screen too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dual column on ipad sounds handy. Can you have one column just watching hashtags or something?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's great both Tweetbot and Awful got updated to support splitscreening, i really like that on ipad now. It's pretty slick how to splitscreen too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Unless posted:

iOS 9 has been out for a minute. What's the hot email client of right now worth trying? Needs: multiple inbox support, GMail, Evernote integration. I'm waiting for Airmail to drop on iOS. Anything worth checking out beforehand?

I have been using Spark and it ticks your boxes pretty well. I only use one inbox though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Youtube is launching Youtube Red in a week which if you pay $9.99 a month you get no ads, off line video saving on mobile devices and background playing on mobile.

I think I'm gonna pay for it... I consume most of my "entertainment" through Youtube now, I don't really watch TV.

Does this have a family login like Netflix? It'd be interesting for me because my kid watches certain videos on youtube hundreds of times and having an offline mode would be really good. Load it up with approved videos and let him go nuts.

Netflix needs to add offline too dammit. Pingu and Kipper cartoons are killing my monthly ISP caps :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Argh gently caress I didn't know iSSH was pulled. Shows how often I use it, but I used to quite a bit.

I remember agonizing between it and Prompt and I guess I chose poorly :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This probably got talked about and I missed it but what is up with the embedded browsers in apps these days?

I'm on 9.1 and usually use Purify blocker (but I tried with it shut off) and the browsers in apps like Awful and Tweetbot 4 just go to a blank page, forcing me to open the link in Safari. Did I futz something up or is this a 9.1 issue hopefully fixed in 9.2? Any workarounds?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:downs: I thought I had done a reset but after I did one just now pages load again in in-app browsers.. :toot::hf::downs:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hadji murad posted:

How do you reset it?

Phone reset, hold down lock button til the slide to power down, slide it, press it again to start up and voila.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was on Rdio too a while back and switched to Google Play unlimited streaming. They had a promo that made it $2 a month less than Rdio so that is what lured me away.

The only thing I miss from Rdio is the ability to pause on one device and resume on another but it's not a huge dealbreaker. A plus is being able to upload your own tunes to fill in any gaps of their library.

I tried spotify but I just didn't like the UI on the app at the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if this is just a prelude of worse happening with Dropbox.. What are the chances they just fold completely in a year or so?

Bummed about losing Carousel, it's a nice app and I use it a lot to back up photos. I also back up to google drive and live365 too though so not too worried (yet).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like Spark, anyone else use it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I really like workflow I just lack the creativity to come up with things that need workflow-ing. I would love to see more recipes people made though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

maduin posted:

if you've experienced apple music, I don't know how you could want apple to buy netflix.

Absolutely this. They'd find some way to make the netflix UI even worse.

I don't know how but they'd find it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Do you have to have the Facebook app installed in order to share things on Facebook from other apps? Or can you just provide your credentials in settings and that should work?

Yeah if you put your FB login in the iOS settings you can share from whatever app no problem. I don't install the FB app either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool, Spark got an update for iPad support. My current fav email client.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dik-dik posted:

Hey you can get Day One 2 (the journalling app) for free through the Apple Store App (not the App Store). details

This is great, I use the original day one but didn't feel like I really needed to pay for the new features, but hey for free definitely! Thanks!

I always forget to check the apple store app for the freebies..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PFlats posted:

Google Photos doesn't do the originals though, does it? Just downscaled ones?

Might not be a dealbreaker for this dude if he'd even notice, but for other folks in general.

Unlimited downscaled for free, can use original size which will use whatever you have for storage shared between gmail/google drive etc

Also amazon and ms onedrive have apps that will auto backup photos/vids to their respective services. Tons of options (I use several for redundancy but I only backup via wifi)

priznat fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 3, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bobfather posted:

Neither play podcasts well, so I can't recommend either for that use.

Also their weather forecasting capabilities are sub par.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

nPlayer is what you're after.

https://appsto.re/gb/y0OjG.i

Seconding this! nPlayer is great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wonder why gBoard isn't on the Canadian App Store yet..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Has anyone noticed Spark seems really slow about fetching messages from gmail lately? Is this similar on other 3rd party mail apps? This is on LTE or speedy wifi.

Google Inbox is fine speed wise but I find it annoying how it hides a lot of mail from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

maduin posted:

Spark has syncing problems. Outlook is the best iOS mail app, unless you want some crazy power-user feature or something.

That's a bummer, I liked Spark. Outlook is pretty good too though, I will go back to that.