Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Flobbster posted:

Hey guys, want yet another custom keyboard to add to your phone?

There have been plenty of times when I've wanted to type a fancy Unicode character, like a mathematical symbol or punctuation or something. I usually end up having to open up the browser, google it, find it on a page somewhere, and then hope that I can finesse the selection to just include that character so I can copy and paste it. Huge pain in the butt.

Well no longer! I extended by silly text-flipping app, unicodr (iTunes link), to add a keyboard extension. You can scroll among some pre-defined categories of characters like punctuation or mathematical symbols, or you can type the Unicode name of the character you want and search for it!

Here's some promo codes for y'all to enjoy:

T4JLJ973YMPJ
YEX76NP7FH96
N4F9LXPWX9JN
MHWE3YFTJ373
WP6TA4LEKXR7
Took the second one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

rear end Catchcum posted:

Best calendar app for google cal? I use calenmob but sometimes the colored dots don't appear.
Calvetica is also cool, like it better than the first Fantastical mainly for how you enter/adjust times(haven't gotten the second one though).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI the pzizz sleep apps are free again; they're pretty decent when you need help falling asleep, though I'd suggest turning the voices off on them

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Speaking of, what's the imgur app of choice? I have the official one but it insta crashes on the new phone and doesn't appear to be on the store anymore so I doubt it will be updated.

I still use the old one sometimes, but imgur browser works pretty well otherwise(AND REMEMBERS MY loving LOGIN), its main faults being no bulk uploads and no BBCode links.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

Anyone ever hear anything about Dashlane? Is it any good?

Wish I read this half an hour ago, as I just got 1Password for Win/Mac after using a coupon(moving off of Keepass because the apps for it are just okay and the Mac port is terrible last I tried). Dashlane seems to be really good and only lacking a bit in a few areas maybe, and it uses subscriptions instead of a license, so if you want premium features, 1Password may be better for you.

Sweet Setup review notes posted:

DASHLANE: THE BEST FREE OPTION
Finally, the most fully-featured competitor to 1Password is DashLane, which is free for the basic version, and costs $29.99 a year for the Premium Version. Premium features include sync across all devices, secure backup, and web access to passwords.

DashLane

DashLane matches nearly all of the main features of 1Password, offering to store and organize the same kinds of information, and offering the same kind of browser extension, with slight stylistic tweaks. When you store a password, for instance, you’re offered the option to give it a category, which is nice.

And you have many of the same features inside the main app, including a kind of security audit called Security Dashboard. After I had saved one password, it proclaimed me a “champ!”

But little details like this started to rub me the wrong way. I sometimes felt the app was treating me like a child. When I picked my master password, the app forced me to use at least one capital letter and one number, and the hand-holding felt demeaning. Then, every time I clicked on the browser extension, I was encouraged to share the app with my friends.

“Sharing” is also featured prominently as a tab in the application preferences. Promoting the app on Twitter and Facebook wasn’t the kind of sharing I expected between “account” and “security”.

I know developers need to spread the word, but DashLane felt like it was going over the line a bit with self-promotion. More than once in the setup process, the app announced that it was “the world’s best password manager.” But it still lacks many of the deeper features of 1Password, especially in the area of storage and organization. You can’t create folders, for one thing. You also can’t add attachments to items in the vault. It has secure notes, but they are mere text fields to be typed into, so you couldn’t add a scan of a birth certificate if you wanted to. Most important for anyone who likes to keep their hands on the keyboard, DashLane lacks any keyboard shortcuts for filling in login fields.

So while DashLane may be the best app if you’re looking for a free option, you should consider whether you want to give up sync across devices, as well as many of the more sophisticated features of 1Password, just to save a buck.
http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-password-manager-and-why-you-need-one/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

noirstronaut posted:

I was looking for other alternatives and I found this one. Similar interface, way cheaper, and seemingly better.

http://notdashlane.com

:eyepop:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kempy posted:

That looks like quite the app, but at $6.50 I'm wondering if anybody knows any free alternatives?

AcePlayer and a bunch of other apps here and there will do if you set up your PC to have shared folders through samba, or you can run a upnp server on your pc.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

noirstronaut posted:

You can't rehash a joke already made in the same post your quoting.

gently caress you, DAD

CaptainPsyko posted:

The App Store is kind of hosed at the moment, but once it's not, there's finally a great free alternative maps/driving directions app. http://360.here.com/2015/03/11/getting-started-ios-basics/
  • The maps seem pretty decent/readable and there's a pretty good selection of maps ready to download, though there's a lot of stuff missing in Asia(Japan, Hong Kong, China, South Korea) though they could be in the "Asia - Whole Area" download that's 8 GB.
  • Downloaded maps include routing and location search info, which is nice.
  • I live in a place with non-English characters, and all the street names shown on the map are using English versions of the names and I can't find a language toggle(could be basing it on my selected language for iOS maybe), so I don't see this being that useful for handing it to a taxi driver.
  • It does let you save places pretty easily and put them in folders, which is already way better than Google Maps which can't get that right for some reason.
  • Haven't tried turn-by-turn navigation stuff yet, so dunno how that is
This looks like a pretty solid alternative to Google Maps, not to mention a really good choice for an offline maps app, and it's free.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kheldarn posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're using that over the official imgur app?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

actually uploading images to imgur is an still an "upcoming feature" of the app

This and I'm kinda mad that I updated to the new version from the oooooooold version which let you upload stuff fine, and in bulk to boot. Its biggest problem was that it kept forgetting your login and you'd have to enter your details again.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Yeah people keep pointing this out to me but I can never remember that stuff.
here's the short version: add l (that's an L for large) before the .jpg and it'll be fine

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TheJoker138 posted:

Downcast is the only one that lets you import your own files, so it's the best.

I like the gestures support, don't know if the others support that kind of thing

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This might sound like heresy but Nokia's HERE map app is shockingly good, especially if you have a dodgy connection abroad. You can just download offline maps and use those. It's scarily accurate, even with no connection.

Seconding this; it's the best offline maps app I've seen so far and it's free to boot.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kaizoku posted:

Instead of going a page or two back, try devoting your catch-up to a week instead of 50 posts, especially in a thread that is mostly two sentence posts, or use search with the thread id.

I’m not trying to be an rear end, this is a genuine suggestion to make getting the information you want quicker.

Oh dear god how terrible does it look if you hit the ’nerd out’ button?

Oh goddammit I thought you were kidding about this

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

Can't you just share the folder as a upnp volume on your LAN?
You can also run a dlna server on your computer, and there's a free one out there that's really really easy to set up

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

duckfarts posted:

You can also run a dlna server on your computer, and there's a free one out there that's really really easy to set up

So, it's Universal Media Server that i'm using, works great and stays out of the way, should work with any app that will stream from a dlna server(there's tons)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mo0 posted:

Gah,

gah, duh. I'm an idiot. Browsing to imgur.com lets you do it.

Just use safari and save the page as a web link on your home screen. Their web interface works really well, but their actual app is dogshit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Still prefer Calvetica because it is still the fastest, easiest way to punch in an appointment.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kekekela posted:

i think its that viral thing all the kids are talking about

so, aids

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Splashtop Wired XDisplay is currently free, is an app that lets you use your device as an extra display for your PC or Mac, seems useful as this is something I've been looking for myself

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cross posting from the MacOS thread since this is a iOS/MacOS question:

I've got a question about Photos and iCloud.

My mother in law has a MacBook, an iPhone, and an iPad. She takes a poo poo load of photos. Her iPhone is a couple years old and has whatever the minimum drive size back then. I've set her up to automatically upload her photos to iCloud so she can get them across all her devices, but her phone is still yelling at her that it is out of space. I know it supposedly has lower res versions of the icloud photos on the phone, but we're talking a LOT of photos. I think something on the order of 6 gigs at least. She still wants to be able to take pictures on her phone, though. Is there a way to set it up so that photos from the phone will upload to the cloud but she can delete the photos on her phone without nuking them on the cloud as well? What if I disconnected the phone from the cloud, deleted all the photos there, and then had her sync the phone with the laptop? Would that automatically transfer the photos to the computer and, eventually the cloud?

Note that "don't use iCloud, it sucks" isn't really a good answer. This is a 65 year old retired teacher who has very limited technical expertise. We want this as automated and pain free as possible.

Can't you just get an external usb hard drive?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Question Mark Mound posted:

That's why if something is free you might want in future, download it anyway then delete it. It'll stay activated on your Apple ID so you can re-download it at any time.

Protip: buy it through iTunes to get around the "you must have ios9 limitation"

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

oversteer posted:

Any recommendations on document 'scanning' apps that will let me photograph multiple page documents, convert to PDF and upload directly to Dropbox?

I like Scanner Pro a lot for this kinda thing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

Just a heads up, Overcast is now completely free.

Where? It still has the $5 unlock from what I can see.

Also, gently caress LogMeIn.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

wooger posted:

it requires desktop software to be installed

I'm using it, but I still don't like this part and begrudgingly moved off keepass with this still being an issue. Keepass has a portable version you can run off a USB stick, and I really miss that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

Patronage doesn't auto renew, so it's virtually a donation button. I don't plan on ever paying so don't feel like you're doing some unspeakable act.

but you are

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

Is there a good free iOS app to listen to your own music stored in the cloud/your house or is it iTunes Match all the way? My mom is asking me about getting an mp3 player but she already has a (16gb I think) iPhone 6.

I picked up CloudBeats Pro when it went free a while ago, and it's suiting my needs pretty well. There's a free version you can try, though I don't know what's locked in it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Etrips posted:

Why is Logmein lovely exactly? I've been using it for awhile now with no issues.
As mentioned, they close off features in an effort to try and get people on paid plans. They bought Hamachi, which was originally an easy to use free VPN service, then made it pay only. They took some of the features from the free accounts and made them Pro Account only at some point, I think. Their LogMeIn Ignition app was a premium paid app(read: $20-$130 app) for a long time and then they made it free, then later said "um, we'll add pro features for people who paid for it before" in an effort to appease customers who had to shell out for it before. After that, they cut off all free accounts and then realized that people paid for the app, so they changed it so you can have free access from mobile devices only, which is confusing.

A lot of this sounds pretty normal, but also points to the company kinda not knowing what the gently caress they're doing and grasping for different ways to monetize.

As for using LogMeIn? Just switch to TeamViewer; it's free and performs better anyway.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cawd Rud posted:

Such a weird problem that has plagued iOS since the beginning. Like, is it that hard to save the state of what you're listening to to disk when the app has to quit? All it has to do is remember the track and source/playlist. :confused:

This will be introduced as an amazing feature down the line.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

101 posted:

What… the… gently caress

could be trying to game people looking for sales

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

I don't watch too many movies on videos on my phone, but I'm pretty sure Infuse Pro can decode AC3 with no problem.

Yeah, it does. I'm using nPlayer, which also supports AC3, and it's been very needs-suity.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

I recently came back to Apple after a decent departure and am seeing that Appshopper has turned into some kind of lovely mess? What is the current new hotness to keep a wishlist of apps and have them provide a notification when they go on sale?

AppShopper's been doing fine with me though I don't use notifications for it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Another vote for 1password, though I begrudgingly got it originally because there's no good mac version of keepass.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

These things are all also true of lastpass.

Subscriptions are gross

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bump_fn posted:

What's a functional free app that will let me resize and upload images to imgur or something similar? I used to use picup but I guess an api changed cause now it's nonfunctional. Don't say the imgur app cause that poo poo is trash.
I just use a weblink to their website; it's sadly the best interface so far. For "resizing", I just use the "add an l to the filename" trick to get a link to the large thumbnail vs the full image.

Crashes reliably whenever trying to upload for me. :(

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Honestly the problem with Apple Music imo isn't that it's not intuitive or the look/feel. For me it was failing on me two times in times I depended on it to work, including one time when I explicitly saved some albums to listen to on a 8 hour plane ride only to find out on the plane that "I couldn't access my (saved) music with airplane mode turned on and without a data connection." Like what the hell. I know for every complaint like me there are approx 42-69 other people saying shrug it worked fine for them but the fact that it can happen at all is unacceptable.

i just want to add some songs to it on another computer without having to delete my entire library for some dumb loving reason

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

cryptoclastic posted:

nPlayer has never failed me.

+1 for nPlayer; I've tried a bunch of players and nPlayer is one of the few that seem to have their poo poo together instead of being a janky hosed up mess of an interface.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

dik-dik posted:

What does the paid version of nPlayer let you do compared to free?

Seems to be mostly Dolby codec support, chromecast streaming, and no ads based on looking at the app description real quick. Is the free version recent? I don't remember there being one when I bought the full version

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Housh posted:

What are you guys using for vpn on iPad?

openvpn and rolled my own vpn server on a raspi

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Overcast is orange.

Pocket Casts is not orange.

The choice is clear.

dashlane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rabid Snake posted:

What's the go to Media Player for iOS? Something where I can lost some .mkv video files that contain either DTS or AC3 audio. I've heard that some media players "update" and remove audio codecs due to expiring licenses.

nPlayer is solid for me