Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's a good ad blocker for Safari? Don't mind paying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
On the other hand I signed up for Netflix through the iOS app and was really confused I couldn’t use the gift card I’d just been given.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I’ve been using DDG for about a year now and it handles about 95% of my queries just fine. If I need some more technical information or their fuzzy matching just plain fails then I need to hit up google but for general searches it’s plenty fine.

The one thing Google is insanely good at is intent, where you can have a search term with different meanings and Google can predict exactly what you mean. DDG just doesn’t have the sheer amount of personal data to do that.

I find google is getting shittier and shittier. I was trying to look up different wool hat construction techniques a couple days ago and it was giving me tons of ads to buy wool hats, not tutorials or patterns. There are specialty nerd searches on websites it knows about that it just chokes on, and trying to get to the right website in the first place is harder and harder because worse websites SEO themselves to hell and back.

It is demonstrably worse and worse for everything I want to do with it because it wants to give me ads and products for sale and AMP pages and other services first on pretty much every search result.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a good document scanning app that cleans up the documents and saves it to PDF to any location I want (i.e. Save to Files, to send it to my NAS, which then also syncs it to S3) and doesn't bother me with its cloud services or anything? Adobe Scan only cares about Adobe Cloud, Office Lens only exports JPEGs in aforementioned case. I've tried that QuickScan app people seem to rave about, but the resolution it saves the scans isn't anything to cry home about (god forbid any document has fine print). Any other suggestions?

Have you tried the scanner functionality built into Notes?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

google maps was the app that made me go HOLY poo poo WOW on the first iphone and all these years later it is less usable and not a bit faster on vastly more powerful hardware

i have to imagine google has intentionally hosed it up over the years to push people to android

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Reddit (so take with a grain of salt) seem to think the dev has abandoned it. I would probably agree as back in 2020 there was talk about the upcoming redesign but all mentions of that have disappeared and it gets an update a couple of times a year despite heaps of bugs.

i mean in 2020 this big thing happened that ruined a lot of people's mental and/or physical health these past years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommendations for a basic drawing/painting app?

I don't have any Apple experience but I purchased a senior family member an iPad 2021. They like to paint with acrylics so I'm going to get them an Apple Pencil 1 as well.

I'd love to get them a drawing/painting app that isn't overwhelming to non-techies. Any ideas?

The usual rec is Procreate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Froist posted:

I believe this is still ”all users in the USA”.

I have it again in Canada.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

The default camera app does not play a shutter sound if the phone is on silent.

But also, this question is weird/creep adjacent without more context.

I’m going to hope it’s for like wildlife photography. Coxy’s been a chill poster for years I don’t think he’s suddenly gonna have a creeper moment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Weird. Wonder what was going on in Japan that precipitated that.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic but men were taking tons of upskirt pictures of women and girls, especially on packed commuter trains.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pages?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

What’s the catch with Obsidian, no IAP, free..

They sell a couple optional subscription services.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Queer Grenadier posted:

OK. I bought Things3, and I am honestly sold. The simple keyboard shortcuts, UI and experience is fantastic. I drank the Flavor Aid, but I'm enlightened! And also having a hard time breathing... Anyone else feel hot?

Drink water, apply a cold cloth to your forehead, and rest in a cool, dark place. Heatstroke is a big worry right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Weighing out my choices on getting an iPhone SE to be mostly a banking device. The second thing it would hopefully do is get my music over Bluetooth to my car, but:

Is there a music player app that plays files stored locally on iPhones, as in, my own .mp3s and .flacs? Is that still a thing? I am too much of a dinosaur for streaming and would like to just do it the way I do on my Android devices

The music app still supports listening to local music, same as it has since iPhones grew out of iPods. For FLAC you’ll want something different though like this https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/flacbox-hi-res-music-player/id1097564256

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Cool. Do I still need to install the big ol' iTunes application on PC if I want to push song files onto iOS?

If you look at that application page it offers a ton of ways to get files on and off your iPhone to play in Flacbox. You’ll want to install iTunes for some basic janitoring poo poo possibly, but it’s not necessary for your music.

e: it also supports file sharing over usb-c, which does use the iTunes application on windows but is just drag and drop, doesn’t need you to actually add your music to iTunes. It’ll work like this https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201301

To be clear this doesn’t require conversion. It’s just open the phone file sharing interface in iTunes, drag and drop files or folders from Explorer, open the app on your phone and play in there.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 21, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I’m looking for a journaling app for the ipad to write a bit everyday. I don’t need anything fancy, just basic text entry. Unfortunately so much stuff is on the subscription model. is there anything free or one time cost that’s decent?

Just wait for Apple’s, should be coming in the next point update.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

Ok she's got a 9th gen iPad and this links info (https://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/) makes it look like the 1st gen pencil is the compatible one to get. Thanks, I'm sure you're right that I shouldn't mess with third party options and hassle.

Yeah, for doing art you really want the pressure/tilt sensitivity, which is the expensive part a lot of third parties (for example, Logitech's Pencil) skip.

Also, don't get it right away, but if the kid is absolutely definitely using it as a drawing tablet primarily and you want to keep facilitating that, look at a Paperlike screen cover (or an Amazon ripoff, they're pretty much the same thing according to artist friends.) It's like a screen protector, but it adds texture and "tooth" (an art word basically meaning a harder texture that you have to push against, it's a good thing) like real paper would have. The downside is that it makes the iPad harder to navigate solely by touch gesture, so you really only want it if it's a drawing tablet as the overwhelming primary use. Otherwise it'll feel miserable when the kid is flipping around games or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

I thought lazy devs only existed in video gaming, guess not.

i don't think it's right to call them "lazy" - they're right, apple is basically making them ship two mostly different applications under the same name, one inside the EU and one outside it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m taking a ton of pictures and want each one to have a Brightness +10 and Color Saturation +25.

Is there an app or a way in Photos to just make this a setting? Going in there one-by-one is a full-time job.

Get a wizard to cast “enchant any item” on your camera.