Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a pedometer app that works for iPhone 5 (without the coprocessor) that won't kill my battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want an app that keeps track of time like the stopwatch app but I also want it to record when I start/pause and want to be able to export the data like "started at h:mm, duration, stopped at h:mm" or whatever

Is there an app for that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Gillman posted:

Hours?

You can use IFTTT and its DO! Button app to log every time you press it to a spreadsheet. Do you could have one button in the app for start and one for stop

That sounds like what I'm looking for thanks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Paper sucks because I'm not a fan of the huge tiles.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Having your phone on drains the battery. Turn it off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there an example of Smart Speed like on YouTube or something?

noirstronaut posted:

So it's been decided that 1Blocker is the best?

This is what that guy recommended with a 4 part in depth look at content blockers. I've been using it since I got the 6s but I noticed as of like 2-3 days ago Safari is CONSTANTLY loading blank pages no matter what I do until I hit refresh. Google search: blank page. Hit refresh and tap first result: blank page. Refresh always fixes it but it's annoying as gently caress. Since last night I've turned off 1Blocker and the blank pages have completely disappeared. I can't find anyone else with this problem though in recent searches so maybe it was a local problem with me but I dunno. It did this on both wifi and LTE, both from different providers obviously. I tried clearing cache, delete all internet saved things etc. I'm gonna give it another day without 1Bloker before turning it on again to see if the problems come back and maybe try something different.

Pissflaps posted:

Dashlane is better.

What pedometer can explain this meme to me? (No seriously where did this meme come from).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why would I pay $5 for tweetbot when the official client is free? Serious question from a not serious Twitter user.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Twitter constantly makes changes to their service in order that back away from the idea of a simple one to many messaging service to one that they can sell more ads on. Twitter clients freeze Twitter to be like what it was about five years ago where it's just your timeline, your @s, and your private messages. It is a product you buy instead of one where you're being sold. And yea, there's no ads.

I guess that last sentence where you say Twitter isn't just my timeline, @s, and DMs anymore is where I'm too old for this because I thought this is exactly what Twitter is and that's how I use it. Like I literally can not think of any more functionality that's required than seeing my timeline and seeing who included me in a tweet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I bought tweetbot 4, not sure why. But anyway how do I make lists. Like I was under the impression that I could separate news sources vs people I know but I can't find out how to do this.

Also in the official client if I clicked on a tweet I could click on his Twitter @name and get taken to his account but I can't do this in tweetbot either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How long is the window to get a refund for an app?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I still haven't figured out how to do lists.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hadji murad posted:

noistranuat reminds me of my favourite Tweetbot feature, muting

I can mute people with the official client too.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know what a power user of Twitter does differently than someone who just checks their feed and clicks some links to articles every once in a while. If I want to save something to read later I send it to Readability and that's that.

Not sure why using Lists is so popular unless you're really that adamant about filtering through what tweets you see. Does Tweetbot really even do this much better than Twitter? Why are you following so many users that you need to filter anyway?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't follow news accounts and poo poo like that because they tweet so god drat much. I figure if I could seperate them out into lists then I could follow them too and see the news tweets when I actually want to.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Not sure if this is a Tweetbot question or whatever but here goes. I follow some sports teams just to read their updates now and then but on game days they turn into a play by play minute by minute spam machine. Is it possible to set up some kind of filter to do something like "if account tweets more than x times in last y minutes, then temporarily mute account"?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is it possible to disable the "soandso is typing…" notifications in Smapchat? I don't care if someone is typing, only that I've received a message.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

bronin posted:

Whatsapp is the de facto standard app for messaging in most European countries. So unless you only have friends with iPhones you use Whatsapp. There are lots of mobile plans without unlimited texts so why throw money at your carrier if you don't have to.

All my European friends use WhatsApp, yeah.

Content: do I need to let dark sky run in the background for it to do its thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What's a simple two player game that doesn't run like poo poo on an iPhone 4 (yeah I know) that i can play with someone?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is anyone else's Facebook messenger going crazy on them. It keeps connecting and reconnecting on like an infinite loop so I can't talk to anyone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What's the deal with text expander. Is it just like the built in replace text thing in iOS?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Your 6s automatically tracks walking steps, flights climbed, and distance.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Flights climbed uses the barometer, which means lots of ghost steps climbed that are actually you entering a building.

Every time I enter my place of employment I get credited for two flights.. one for walking through the door, one for actually walking up some stairs. :v:

Still think it's a great feature, just gotta interpret the results a bit.

Oh I didn't know this.

Totally unrelated but I'm trying to organize my life a bit better and use Calendars and Reminders more. Is there a good write up of "best practices" or how to use them more effectively? Like okay I understand what calendar events are, what reminders are. But say tomorrow on Monday I need to go visit my apartment's property manager at 10am. Is this an event or a reminder?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

Things that have helped me:

Configure your contacts so work, home, and your friends' home addresses are useful.

Reminders and calendar events are repeatable. A reminder is a thing to be checked off, a calendar event is complete when the time passes.

Reminders should start with verbs, events have a general subject like an email. Reminder: bring health care card to eye appointment. Event: Dan's BBQ. This is very powerful because when your phone buzzes it's telling you to do something or go somewhere, and when you're making an appointment with someone it's easy to see that Dan has a barbecue on Saturday at 3 so no, I can't wash your dog, mom.

Reminders are persistent until complete. Use this for tasks, geofence them for location specific tasks so they don't bother you to make photocopies at home or whatever (just say "hey Siri remind me to make photocopies tomorrow morning at work"). An example is paying your phone bill. You need to do it when you have time, but you don't have to go somewhere and do it exclusively.

Calendar events are "be there" events. An example is a doctor appointment.

Use fantastical so that all your events are treated as a persistent badge icon and condition yourself to care. If the icon says something, you have things to do today. You can also manage both events and reminders in one app that way and get directions to your event from the app itself.

Email is also useful to use as a reminders and events. In gmail in a web browser if you click the dropdown at the top you can make an email into a calendar event, mailbox is an effort to make emails into reminders as well. If an email is task related, it's a reminder, if it's somewhere to go, it's an event.

Read Getting Things Done for a much more comprehensive explanation of this sort of management.

Is there a good article kind of summarizing and outlining that book? I've heard lots of things about Fantastical from Gruber et al so I'll check it out I guess.

Not really related but you'd think there'd be a way to invite other iPhone users to calendar events via their phone numbers only but there doesn't seem be. I'm trying to invite my sister to a flight so she has it in her calendar but it only lets me invite via email and I don't know about you guys but "hey what's your email" isn't something I ever ask people for when I already have their numbers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does Dropbox do that thing where everyone is encrypted with the same key that they themselves have access to?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

I hate iTunes as much as the next person but when it comes to poo poo like transferring ringtones from your computer to your phone, it really is as simple as could possibly be. You literally just add the ringtone to your iTunes library, and set your phone to sync ringtones. Like, are y'all really struggling with this?

I agree iTunes should ideally be stripped down to just a music player with a separate app for iPhone management, but it does everything it's supposed to do. Aside from the aesthetic and philosophical annoyance with having to use a music player to sync stuff between your computer and your phone, is there anything about the actual function that y'all are mad about?

My dad is dead and I saved the last voicemails he left me from visual voicemail to the voice memos app. I synced my phone to a new iTunes library one time and pressed "ok" a few times without reading anything and all of a sudden my my voice memos were saved into my iTunes library and why the gently caress would I want to play shuffle all music and have a god drat voice memo start playing, much less a personal one of my dead dad? I looked forever (like 5-10 minutes) for a way to get rid of my voice memos from iTunes but I couldn't figure out a way and I didn't want to try simply deleting the voice memos because what if deleting them actually deleted them from my phone which is you know not what I want. Besides I don't think they were delectable anyway. From what I remember there's an option I can check to not sync voice memos but from what I remember this wasn't retroactive and these voice memos are still on my computer in my god drat iTunes library.

Like is that a valid complaint for iTunes for you?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

maduin posted:

I use iShows which uses Trakt as a backend and The Sweet Setup likes Television Time -- they have a few more options listed at the end of their article..

And someone in TVIV recommended "Next Episode" which is a front end for the website I think. I've been using it right now and we'll it does what it says it does: notifies me when new episodes air. It's not pretty and there seems to be an option to swipe an episode and have it be marked as read but I can't get this working so it tells me that an episode of x aired but I don't know what happens if I were miss two weeks. I imagine it wouldn't know I didn't watch both episodes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

This is a shame since my old Sony Ericsson featurephone could record calls directly back in 2007.

I mean that's pretty creepy and possibly illegal in some places.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's a really bad example because the camera click can totally be disabled by switching your silent switch on. Like I've probably never actually heard my 6s's camera click ever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

1Blocker is loving up again and leaving pages even ones like the Google search result page half unrendered/blank and forcing me to hit stop, refresh without content blockers in order to get a drat page loaded. The last time this happened their support suggested I get rid of custom blocking rules of which I only had one (to block The Deck ads) but now I only have the defaults. Before they got back to me on how to fix that issue that last time I used Adamant in the interim and now I'm just deleting 1Blocker and replacing it with Adamant because screw this.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a discount if I wanna buy a 1P license for Windows.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

If you do all your password adding on your phone rather than your PC, then the unlicensed Windows one works completely except for a 10 second nag screen when you first open your vault.

By unlicensed Window one do you mean just download the trial version they have on their website or what? Does it last forever?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does good reader let me reflow/convert 2 column PDFs into a single column for reading? Their website seems to say it does this but with the caveat that it gets extracted as a plain exit file. Could someone do me a favor and tell me what eg PDFs like this one https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.05718 look like if you use the reflow option? I'm assuming the graphs simply just disappear and the math looks like weird lovely symbols.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

So apparently Apple has brought in Trent Reznor to help redesign Apple Music. I have no idea how he's qualified to help out with such a task, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/05/apple-music-reportedly-getting-redesigned-will-be-unveiled-at-wwdc-2016/

Also a couple throwaway lines about trying to make iTunes less lovely, but we all know how that is going to play out.

Honestly the problem with Apple Music imo isn't that it's not intuitive or the look/feel. For me it was failing on me two times in times I depended on it to work, including one time when I explicitly saved some albums to listen to on a 8 hour plane ride only to find out on the plane that "I couldn't access my (saved) music with airplane mode turned on and without a data connection." Like what the hell. I know for every complaint like me there are approx 42-69 other people saying shrug it worked fine for them but the fact that it can happen at all is unacceptable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just wish he'd enable the smart speed thing on their web app so I don't have to plug my headphones into my phone at work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What's the best calendar app now? I have Fantastical 2 but I reeally didn't like the interface because it's a bit complicated.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I need to film a series of 10 ~3 minute videos about a project I'm working on. I don't really want to and personally think it's a waste of time, but it was in the funding proposal that got accepted so I kind of have to.

I want to put the bare minimum effort into this which to me means filming it with my iPhone (6s) and doing the editing on the phone as well. What app do I need for this?

Don't say Camera.app :downs: (unless it really is the right answer? I dunno, I know nothing outside of taking pictures and applying filters to it in Instagram)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I wanna keep track of my work hours better to ideally be able to put in 40 hours of "billable" (productive) work a week. What's a good app for that? Sweet Setup recommended Toggl Timer which looks nice but their website says I need to be a paying member to export my data which doesn't really sit right with me.

I'm not opposed to paying but I'd prefer if I didn't have to pay to export my data in case they go out of business and take everything with them. Apple watch integration would be nice, so would being able to track/view hours on a website. I was probably just going to make a workflow or ifttt button thing and sync to a google spreadsheet unless there's a nicer app for that.

Speaking of note taking apps above, is there one that will let me disable auto correct with a button without having to go into settings etc?

Also one more thing. I tried the Apple News app but deleted it after a few days because the news it gave me was just stupid. Sorry but poo poo about the "puppy bowl" and a congressman's son being grounded for doing a stupid thing that I didn't even know was a thing (that story about Paul Ryan's son "dabbing") is not and should not be a "breaking news."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

flosofl posted:

:dance:

Please tell me this was done as a response to the thread. I will be so disappointed if not.

Holy poo poo someone made this :lol:. Background info was someone posted in I think A/T some years ago asking for an app to track haircuts and at first people told him to get excel etc, but I think the guy was completely serious and gave us reasons why excel wouldn't work and some other goons started joking about making the app, throwing in dumb buzzwords like using seo optimized data storage structures for efficiency etc and the OP either drank the cool aid believed us or trolled us all. I don't have archives but it was a fun thread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Try taking the SIM card out and putting it back in? Could be debris or it got unseated or something.

With Skype you can just load it with :10bux: and have a backup phone for things like this.

Or if you really don't want to pay period you could google for "ADA relay service" or something like that. They're (free) text-to-voice services for deaf people so you'd be kind of abusing it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I need to record voiceovers for a movie project. What's a good app for that? Looking for high quality voice recording and maybe a way to add notes on my iPhone about what I'm recording so that I can find/edit things easier later in iMovies (on a Mac).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

But I just want to record voice on my iPhone with a lapel mic plugged into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Anyone have experience building this iPhone ssh app? I've never used Xcode before so I don't really know what I'm doing. I've opened the project just fine, turned off some of the things that require a dev account (push notices and iCloud key sharing I guess), but I'm at a dead end because it's telling me I need a provision profile and the only way I see to get one is to pay $99 to Apple. I mean at that point I might as well just buy the $20 app outright.