Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Pixelmator is 99 cents and I heard this was a good photo editing app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For whatever reason my notifications aren't showing up as a badge icon on my Facebook app. I tried logging out on the app and then back in, turning them off and on again in the notifications part of settings.app, uninstalling/reinstalling the app, etc. Just doesn't seem to want to work.

I expect nothing less from this garbage app but I wonder why this is happening all of a sudden.

I just noticed this as well. Except if I launch Facebook and close it the badges show up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just started (trying) to get more into podcasts lately, just listening to them instead of music at work and so on. The only podcast app I ever tried was Overcast and it worked fine for me cause I had no expectations of what was good or not and I read his old blog posts about all the poo poo he did to make Smart Speed and speed multiplying work. IIRC the default API lies when it says 120% speed or whatever so he wrote his own.

This new 3.0 update though is just really god drat terrible. 2 taps to play sucks but what surprises me is that I can't swipe to delete an episode. I mean this is a pretty standard gesture now right? Swipe to delete? I can swipe to delete a subscription but I can't swipe to delete an episode even. His blog about the 3.0 update goes into how he wanted to put all the features up front and ready to make it easier and I just don't think he's done that. It's also pretty ugly imo.

Castro looks nice though. I really like the idea of having an "inbox" of poo poo that I could potentially listen to. It would match my rss/Reeder workflow: I subscribe to a smattering of RSS feeds and I kinda just scroll through the new posts a few tines a day/week and swipe to star the ones I'm interested in reading and then mark the rest as read. My "queue" is my favorites tab and I unfavorite them as I go.

How does Castro deal with playback speed? Does it have a "smart speed" setting like Overcast? Web playback?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

withak posted:

But then I have to find more podcasts or else I will run out before my walk to work is over.

Can anyone recommend a good podcast app with a search box, a subscribe button, and a play button?

how do you feel about pressing twice to delete?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Use Safari.

Also yes, probably.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

maduin posted:

i'm actually really hopeful apple allows you to set default apps soon. they've been (slowly) moving in that direction for a couple of years, and with the ability to delete native apps, I think it's only a matter of time.

Me too.

"Hey Siri, play random music with Spotify please."

"I'm sorry but you don't have Music.app installed."

Okay.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This is mostly why I'm switching to be honest. There are a few odds and ends I'm going to be annoyed by for awhile, but for the most part I wasn't taking advantage of the deep customization in Android anyway. The lockdown they set hopefully provides more security and privacy than the sieve of Android.

For the data rate tracker I found Datameter. It also has the widget which is as close as I'm going to get I think.

For content blockers, some googling led me to 1Blocker, is Focus by Firefox or some other option better? I avoid using apps for things that have a perfectly good website already, I've always hated that trend.

Thanks for all the help y'all!

I have two downloaded: 1Blocker and Adamant. I only use one of them at any given time though (it's not recommended to use more than one). I just have all 3 because sometimes 1Blocker just stops randomly working and ends up breaking my browser (everything just gets rendered as a white blank page). Dunno why that happens but when it does I just switch it off and switch Adamant back on until until I get annoyed by ads getting through and switch it back.

That last sentence isn't me saying 1Blocker blocks more ads than Adamant or the other way around, just that serving ads is an arms race and lovely ad companies eventually find ways to get past the blockers. They both work well except the sometimes rare blank screen issue with 1Password. If you want more details on adblockers you can just google for "iOS content blocker roundup" or something. Some dude wrote like a 4 part thesis comparing every single ad blocker available (at that time). I don't remember what the site was called though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Siri is never gonna be good. It's a piece of poo poo.

How do other things like Echo (Alexa?) handle music from Spotify and such? I've found out I can ask Siri to open Spotify but then it prompts me for my fingerprint and well if I'm in the shower then I can't do that so it's pretty stupid. Does Alexa just play music/playlists without issues?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Siri abruptly ending conversations is hilarious. Would it kill them to wait a bit?

Also, why the heck doesn't it start listening for your command straight away? I don't necessarily need to let your long winded "funny" comment play out fully to respond. Let me respond immediately.

Yeah I really wish there was a way to enable "serious mode" or whatever for Siri. I loving hate those comments she makes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've heard that if you reply to a sarcastic Siri response with "that's not funny", it'll start to be more serious. Can't say whether it works or not though.

Doubt it since Siri can't understand context.

I'm guessing this is what would happen:

:v: Hey Siri how cold is it right now?
:downs: It is 7 degrees right now, burrrr that's cold.
:v: Hey Siri that wasn't funny.
:downs: ...
:downs: ...
:downs: Would you like me to search for "tattoos funny?"

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 10, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I tried correcting Siri, and all it did was pop up a choice between "Tilde Swinton" or "Tilda Swinton", but it reverts back to a blank slate when you try again.

Just underscores why I only really use basic voice stuff to control the phone while driving.

To be fair isn't the issue that that guy's Siri searched with Bing? I've honestly never used Bing outside of getting free Hulu but I imagine their websearch sucks loads, just like every other search engine that doesn't begin with "Go" and end in "ogle." To be fair I've also never seriously asked Siri to search for anything for me because I always assumed she would be terrible at it and I would be better off just taking 2 seconds to search manually.

I'm more impressed that saying "tilde" literally inserts the ~ character.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

There is actually a full range of punctuation available so technically you can dictate grammatically correct text messages using COMMA and FULL STOP like an old timey telegram.
Except that sometimes it won't work and you'll get the words embedded in your text so yeah.

Test:
This initial workshop identified workstation phasing, generated to several different sourcing strategies for those work scope; propose selection criteria to compare the sourcing strategies best benefit the Open Square brackets project).

This is a test of square brackets(hello)

This is a test of braces{hello}

This is a test of parentheses(hello)

That's neat, I guess I should play around with Siri and dictation a bit.

To make square brackets you need to specify left or right for example [. Dictated from Siri.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Siri just interpreted me asking "how old is Tilda Swinton" as "I will just kill a swan"

After a few more tries I got to "hi old is tilde Swindon" and have given up.

I was curious so I just did it too

I guess me and that other guy both speak bad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fastmail supports true push in mail.app so if they can do it I have to think that google just doesn't want to bother. They'd rather you use their gmail app anyway so they can literally track every single finger tap location and how many ms you waste looking at emails so they can make money off of you.

e: Dropbox: unless something is changed the major privacy issue is that while Dropbox data is encrypted, everybody has the same key, and employees can, and occasionally have, access any users data and see/read/copy it. For 1Password this doesn't matter because 1Password is smart and encrypts the files before sending it off to Dropbox, but this does mean that a random dropbox tech can see all your tiny dick pics.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 24, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

spiralbrain posted:

I think I figured it out. Some songs cannot be added to a playlist. One of the songs I tried adding was recently removed from a public playlist and that song cannot be added to a playlist that I created. However if you try to add that song to one of your playlists, it will say it got added.

Looks like some sort of bug to me...

It sounds as polished as apple music is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

London Goons, can you recommend to me a iOS map app that shows tube/train stations prominently at large zoom outs? Or is there a setting on either google or Apple maps? I , and many people I know, navigate by station way more then road or postcode.

I used Google Maps all week last week in London and it seemed fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm getting really sick of 1Blocker loving things up:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

what the christ

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

bobfather posted:

Those 4 taps to whitelist the domain are a struggle?

If I do that then I'll see YouTube ads before videos.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just noticed that I can't search by episode name in Overcast. Do any of the other good podcast apps let me search by episode name?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I feel like a "what fruits/vegetables are in season" app wouldn't really do much. For one it's gonna be highly dependent on your location. I mean I think places like Southern California and Arizona are basically like "gently caress you nature I'll grow year round."

Besides the whole point of buying things in season is to reduce the ecological burden of it all but since most people just go to Kroger or Walmart it's not gonna matter at all since those companies are basically saying "gently caress you climate, I'm paying for this plane/truck to ship me goods from an ocean away because 99% of the people want cheap poo poo."

Your best bet is to shop every weekend at your local farmer market. Like find a real one where the farmers or friends/kids of theirs actually show up, not the plethora one fake ones nowadays that just sell repackaged groceries.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Been testing out Outlook with my work email account (exchange server) and it's really great. I might move to it for personal emails too.

I like the swipe to mark as read and archive feature the most cause I hate having unread emails in my archive, but I don't need or want to actually open up all my e.g. Amazon Package has shipped emails. Unless there's a way to do this in the default mail client.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't think he mentioned anything about needing it for an app though so he's probably talking about websites.

Yeah some websites literally don't let you log in if you aren't in the proper country. I had an issue a couple years ago where I couldn't log onto my hospital's website to pay a bill cause I was on abroad on vacation. It's stupid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm thinking about switching from my paid 1Password to their new subscription model cause I see that that version has a web version and my primary OS these days is Linux.

Has anyone else made the switch and regret it? Do I lose my paid license if I switch or can I just decide I don't like the subscription model and just keep using the paid off app?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm interested in getting an iPad for reading academic papers (well and for fun as well). Do you do all this with a Pro or normal iPad?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I would imagine that they would still push out critical security updates, warn us about security breaches (heartbleed, etc), answer emails, for their old customers. It's just that we won't get new cool features like the travel mode feature they just put in and probably won't ever get access to the web version for when we can't use the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

What's a good ad blocker for Safari? Don't mind paying.

Adblocking is pirating

I think the general consensus is still 1Blocker, though sometimes it breaks websites randomly. When that happens I switch to Adamant and then I switch back whenever Adamant stops working.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm finally giving the 1Password subscription a try (from the standalone app) and am using the trial right now. It's pretty great having access to everything in the browser, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat concerned with the security of the webapp. As I understand it, there's another password manager that uses the browser (keepas? lastpass? whichever one that Tavis guy is always wrecking) and it seems to get breached every other week or so. Has there been any screwups with 1Password's browser implementation?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

They both look like poo poo visually.

e: The group icons in mini keypass look really silly and out of place, and it looks like kypass uses the same exact icons. The red top banner in kypass is terrible though and the font they use for the titles are atrocious. So I'd probably go with mini keepass.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 20, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

1Password doesn't work with Keychain. You can add it to the share(?) button in Safari where it'll open up a mini applet or whatever and you can copy the password from there and paste it back into the website. It's a bit clunky to be honest, especially if you use a website that requires 2FA and you use 1Password as the code generator. They must have an open API that app developers can use as well cause I've noticed some apps have a dedicated 1Password button on their login page. Otherwise you'll have to manually switch to the app and find the password.

The official keychain password manager is very rudimentary and probably doesn't support things like 2FA code generation and saving of other fields like those "help I forgot my password: what is your mother's maiden name?" questions. You should never actually put real answers in there by the way since it's trivially easy to figure out your mother's maiden name or the city where your high school was etc if someone really wanted to get in. So I just generate a random phrase and have 1Password save that as the answer instead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Google voice is annoying because if the inevitable "wait which number should I call you on?" discussions and Google has shown no care in the past for suddenly removing services or merging them into other shittier services. Nonetheless if it works like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc, calls and text messages to your google voice number should just show up like push notifications. Just think of the google voice number like a screen name for the google voice instant messenger app, I guess. It'll be completely divorced from the phone number tied to the SIM card.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I signed up for GV a long time ago, think right when it was renamed from Grand Central or whatever.

Anyway this was back when I was in college and I think I lived on campus. I think I had an iPhone but there was no GV app so you had to do this weird thing where you dialed out to another number and calls/text messages were relayed out. Also GV didn't support sending pictures or support those phone numbers that have like 5 numbers only that some things use to text confirmation codes or sweepstakes entries to.

All I remember was I really liked the idea of GV (a phone number in a "foreign area code! I can check my text messages in my gmail! No more "hey you, new number this is BorisGalerkin" texts!) and really wanted it to work but it was just a pain. Everyone already had my number so I'd tell people "hey new number [GV number]" and then there would always be the ones who never bothered saving the GV number since the one they had in their phones still worked. Also I don't know if android was a thing or mass adopted yet, so the idea of a GV number was really weird to everybody. Then there's the times where I'd accidentally call people from my "real" number instead of the GV one, or when I wanted to send pictures I'd send it from my real number or tell people to send them to the real number etc.

It was just a total mess. Sad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Google Reader, Google Buzz, 1-800-GOOG-411, Knol (more like lol), Talk, Wave, iGoogle, …

Yeah I wouldn't rely on Google services either.

e: How could I forget google+, which is technically still alive, but I remember reading a few years back how they were making a big deal out of it and really putting their eggs in the google+ basket only to fail spectacularly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hangouts was pretty cool and the way they decided to just abandon it instead of making it the default Android messaging app really made me sure they had no idea what the gently caress they were doing.

But did they? There's a Slack channel I'm in and I see the developers talk about Hangouts meetings now and then. (Or do you mean they changed their focus? I've never used Hangouts before but I always thought it was like Skype and it seems like that's what it still it.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

They stripped out the ability to use Hangouts to send SMS on Android (unless you're a Fi customer?) recently. So I'm not sure what they're doing anymore.

Oh I didn't know Hangouts did SMS. That's weird then since they already had GV for that.

Their ecosystem is confusing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can I ask why you'd want to bother with manually managing your podcasts? Not only is Overcast p. good and free, it has features like smart speed up that cuts out moments of silences and people routinely are amazed at how you can switch it to 1.2x+ speeds and not sound like robot/chipmunks talking. The guy who made the app is a huge audio loserbuff and goes on and on about headphones and poo poo and I'm pretty sure he wrote his own audio playing library for iOS because he didn't like the built in one or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hurray for random A/B testing!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How about a cloud based solution?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I noticed a bit ago that Spotify does podcasts now too. No killer features (smart speed, or even increased playback) but hey if you really wanted an all in one music and podcast desktop app then well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Where's my 3D push left side of screen to switch apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Or you can pay for 30 months up front for a lifetime Plex Pass. It's the best if you can afford it. Plex Pass is pretty sweet value for the price.

e: had the number of months wrong.

I'm sure you can understand why people who download TV and movies to stream from their personal Netflix (Plex) server wouldn't want to drop $150 on a lifetime subscription to make it easier to stream to their phones.