Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Disappointing Pie posted:

I also used Pocket Casts for a couple years and switched to overcast and I haven't looked back once.

Ditto

Got a Camera+ code:

REJ6PW?6AMYX

The missing character ate 9 (shamelessly stolen hint)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

priznat posted:

Reeder 2 just got updated for iPhones 6/6+, looks great!

Still can't decide if I prefer that or Unread though. I switch between them both pretty regularly.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You use YouTube for podcasts and not RSS or iTunes?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Josh Lyman posted:

Any idea whether it ever goes on sale? It's a matter of principle. :colbert:

It's $5 and (whatever your opinion of him) Marco Arment makes well supported, quality apps... and again, it's $5

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

vikingstrike posted:

Downcast has a global boost.

Not nearly as good as Voice Boost in Overcast (in my experience)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

wattershed posted:

Anyone have a chance to use Next as their keyboard? I'm on their invite list but I haven't gotten an invite so far.

What's this? Googling isn't yielding anything

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The new Google app update seems great so far. Finally updated to the iPhone 6 screen size and incorporates their new material design.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Parker Lewis posted:

Do any other podcast apps have anything similar for speeding up silences like Overcast's Smart Speed?

No. That was one of his major selling points and the reason he built the app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Awesome, thanks. I downloaded Overcast because it has a free version with features you can unlock later via an in-app purchase if you need to (but honestly, none of them sounded like features I'd really need).

Those features are really Overcast's bread and butter. I can't really live without smart speed and voice boost on the majority of my podcasts now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
There's one less choice when you're arguing about podcast apps now

Instacast is no more

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Twitter is A/B testing a bunch of stuff regarding the Reply/RT/FAV(or heart) buttons

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kenny Logins posted:

ee: Hey wait native Twitter is back to how I like it again. Yee.

Yay. Mine too, thankfully.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

flosofl posted:

Eh, the older version is not *terrible* on the iPad, it's just :cmon: and release a new version.

I'm not holding my breath since it took them forever to update the OS X version. And I laugh at the thought of a universal version for iOS, since that would mean they can't charge twice for it.

I believe they've said Tweetbot 4 will be universal and be a free upgrade from 3.

Hopefully it's out just in time for iOS9

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

LionYeti posted:

I'm sad I moved from pocket casts to overcast because I loved reading pocket casts patch notes.

Well is hasn't been updated for 40 weeks so you aren't missing much

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

CaptainPsyko posted:

I've been using Peace because I like Overcast a lot. Any compelling reasons to look at the others?

I use Peace as well. Apparently you can be a lot more granular about what you block with 1Blocker but I'm happy with everything selected in Peace

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

keevo posted:

I should really find a new site and podcast to listen to. Any recommendations for a podcast similar to the Vergecast?

I assume since you're in the iOS Apps thread you don't mind if they're Apple focused:

Connected
Accidental Tech Podcast

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Legs Benedict posted:

speaking of which, thread, is there a reddit app that isn't complete hot loving garbage? I only need it for like two subreddits but as far as I can tell they are all really bad

I know it's not particularly useful information right now but there are two Reddit apps currently in development (called Apollo and Comet, respectively) that both look pretty good. Alien Blue is also about to undergo a redesign apparently (the first since it got acquired by Reddit)

Narwhal is my go to for now

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hadji murad posted:

Does it track the Smart Speed? Is it on by default? I just upgraded it so going to give it a shot.

It's in the Effects menu

It's really loving good

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

duckfarts posted:

Where? It still has the $5 unlock from what I can see.

2.0 update

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm pretty sure they say to use https rather than http so your passwords aren't accessible

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hadji murad posted:

I've got the other Giant Bomb feeds to work in Overcast but not the video one (it works in Downcast) anyone have more luck?

Well Overcast doesn't support video, so I doubt it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Tweetbot updated to have 3D touch home screen actions, peek and pop within the app for all tweets and some language corrections.

and again with a swipe-to-dismiss-able Safari View Controller and automatic opening of the YouTube app when tapping YouTube links

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What… the… gently caress

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Weedle posted:

https://marco.org/2016/03/14/overcast25

Patronage ($1 a month in three, six, or 12-month increments) gets you a dark theme and the ability to upload your own files through the web interface and stream them from the app.

The dark theme also uses San Francisco as the font if you're not a fan of the apps default one.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I use BlockBear because I use TunnelBear for proxy stuff and like the company/bears

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You don't get 'future improvements' (he doesn't detail any of his plans) if you're grandfathered in. Still got about 10 months of premium cause I needed that dark theme

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Legs Benedict posted:

$10/year is less than a dollar a month. Just throwing that out there.

Yeah for an app I use every day and to help a developer I actually like (I know some people here don't like Marco for whatever reason) it's a steal. I listen to podcasts probably more than I watch Netflix and that costs considerably more

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wait I thought Tweetbot did display images in DMs, you just couldn't send your own. Exposed

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I figure I can throw Marco :10bux: a year

withak posted:

Am I the only one who just needs their podcast app to play podcasts.

I mean if it can save me that much of my time while being easy to use and nice to look at…

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

The gmail app just started suggesting responses to emails for me. I'm not sure whether to be amazed at how convenient that is, or worried that it is paying that much attention to my conversations.

You got a screenshot or anything? Sounds quite interesting but I don't think I'm seeing it yet

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Overcast just added true black support for the iPhone X OLED and I'm in love

Marco's also letting you use any font with any theme now if that's your jam

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Proteus Jones posted:

FYI, I just got an email about 30 minutes that 1Blocker X is now live in the App Store.

Anyone who dropped the 5 bucks got any impressions?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Glad it seems like a genuinely improved app rather than a cash grap. Good devs deserve to be paid for their work.

Boris Galerkin posted:

That one crazy guy who profiled a billion different adblockers seems to like it too (and 1Blocker was his pick to begin with).

Who's that? Sounds quite interesting

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Skeezy posted:

I’m pretty sure this used to be the workaround for something Twitter did ages ago. Using a key of some sort.

Yeah they limit the amount of users a new Twitter app can have if they aren't grandfathered in. I believe some android apps had the users set up their own 'app' and use the key on the 3rd party app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Vince MechMahon posted:

I know I could just use a to do list to do this, but does an app exist you can put in a bunch of movies and TV shows and then mark as you've watched them?

I use Letterboxd for movies and the Trakt service with Television Time.

Although if you want them all in one place Trakt will do movies too and there's a Movie Time app by the same people

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah it'll start playing from the top of my "All Episodes" and not where I was before. Hopefully it gets fixed to be more consistent.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do likes and dislikes work in the News app? If I read a story about Trump murdering kids do I “like” the story because this is news I want to see, or do I “dislike” the story because gently caress Trump?

Pretty sure you're liking/disliking based on if it's news you want to see or not. Same premise as if you liked a news post on Twitter about a celebrity dying it doesn't mean that you like the fact the celebrity is dead

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

Jesus just that trim silence number is a lot.

*cough*

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What the hell is with this update to the FB Messenger app? They made everything look gigantic as if I was an old person who cranked the font size way up on everything lmao

This is hideous :barf:

What's even worse is that Messenger and Instagram (maybe Facebook idk know I don't use it) aren't optimised for the XS Max even though they used to be. So everything looks even bigger.

Apparently to keep compatibility with iOS 9 which seems ridiculous to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Shuffle posted:

Is there a good alternative to Google inbox now that they've killed it off. They said the gmail app would have all the features. but of course it doesn't on top of having ads disguised as emails.

wait, what?