Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Gillman posted:

Has anyone using Overcast had it crash while using CarPlay? Since the most recent update. To the point of not being being able to use the app all.

I typically get a few minutes of audio. Then it just stops for a few minutes then comes back before crashing completely

I have not. I use it almost exclusively when I’m driving. Does Overcast crash when not using CarPlay? My first thought would be uninstall and reinstall Overcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

empty baggie posted:

I’ve never personally had this issue, but with car stereos, aren’t phone calls typically handled through Bluetooth? I haven’t noticed with my CarPlay unit, but my previous stereos would always kick over to Bluetooth when a phone call came in, even if I was connected through USB.

If you have wired Car Play, I'm pretty sure everything is going over the lightning connector.

I just checked my phone and I don't have any Bluetooth profiles for my car, but I make and receive calls just fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Apple News App is good now?

My favourite blogs have truncated their feeds and I hate it so much, but the Apple News version is full stories and the interface is just fine.

But how do I get followed sources to show up on top stories? It only seems to show stuff from Apple’s collections and I don’t really like those so far.

Yeah, that’s my biggest beef with Apple News. In the “Today” section, they sprinkle in my followed feeds with feeds from other sources that are loosely related. If I go to the “Followed” section, then I have to hit each feed one by one which is clunky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It also doesn’t seem to hide read stories, which is really annoying.

Hell just mark it as read. Fade it out or put a little icon that indicates "you read this already you dumb goldfish".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pzy posted:

Anyone have a VNC client recommendation? I used to use iTeleport but they just hosed it all up.

I’ve only used it for RDP, but I really like Jump Desktop. It is not free though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devilmonk posted:

VLC doesn’t seem to be able to do picture-in-picture (iPad Air 2) Is that right? Seems weird but I read that Apple API won’t let them implement. I see that AVPlayer does picture in picture but do you really need to upload files via usb like I’m reading? That also seems weird.

I think it has to do with the playback method or something. Channels won’t do PiP either, and I seem to remember a dev saying it had to do with the encoding of the video stream coming from HDHomeRun Prime and Connect devices. They would need to convert the stream on the fly (which can be done, PLEX can do PiP on the same feed), but leads to instability in playback (which again is true if the iOS PLEX client is any indication when playing a live stream from an HDHomeRun device).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Steam Link is now available for iOS and tvOS.

Here's a direct link if, like me, it doesn't show up when you use the search function.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steam-link/id1246969117?mt=8

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

How does the steam controller work? Is it mifi or does the Apple TV just work with it? I thought all the Apple controllers had to be mifi?

Steam controller is Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure only the Steam Link app can use it. I'm sure the app could probably use a PS4 or XBone controller if they programmed it to, but it appears they didn't.

I'm currently in the middle of home renovations right now, but when I find the box I shoved my old Steam Controller into I'll test it out. I have a feeling it will show up as a generic HID like a keyboard or something. My Nimbus I believe is actually recognized by iOS as a game controller.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Interesting! You’d probably have to pair it to either the Apple TV or the phone / iPad right?

I'm just speculating. I could be completely wrong, but I won't know until I get my new flooring put in and new furniture in place. Then I unpack all the boxes I just chucked poo poo into so I can test it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pushpin is the one I use.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know if there's a Shortcut thread, but here's an interesting one I found in this month's CryptoGram from Bruce Schneier.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ios-12-shortcut-uses-iphone-to-record-police-during-traffic-stop-2018-10

Police

quote:

Once the shortcut is installed and configured, you just have to say, for example, "Hey Siri, I'm getting pulled over." Then the program pauses music you may be playing, turns down the brightness on the iPhone, and turns on "do not disturb" mode.

It also sends a quick text to a predetermined contact to tell them you've been pulled over, and it starts recording using the iPhone's front-facing camera. Once you've stopped recording, it can text or email the video to a different predetermined contact and save it to Dropbox.

Here's a link so you can install it directly:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2d68cb1ee7b84f08ace2fd600b9855b5

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is Paprika still the app of choice for Meal Planning/Recipe Organization/Ingredient Management?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

They really ought to come up with a way to save a list of urls so you can easily access a site again.

This is WHY ARE THE EMAILS I WAS SAVING IN THE RECYCLE BIN DELETED, I NEEDED THOSE levels of :stare:

If you don’t bookmark, then I won’t believe you actually needed them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

They’re Ukrainian.

So it’s run by Russians on vacation then?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

But make sure you get the most current version: 1Blocker X. Not sure, but at one point both the older version and the latest was available in the app store.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

Safari is a terrible choice to use as your home browser.

Lol, no it isn't

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

astral posted:

I'm curious about your phone suggesting a shady back-alley password to you to begin with.

It’s part of the iCloud Keychain. How is that “back-alley”?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

Then I tried opening the app on my Apple Watch and it broke the app on my phone and wouldn’t let me back in until I signed up for an account. Did that but the Watch app is still busted.

This has me pissed off the most. Haven't seen the nag screens yet, but if they're as intrusive as I fear they are, I'll probably end up using the stock app on iOS/Watch.

The OmniFocus Web situation just lead me to moving over to Things, which ended up being better for my needs. (If Omni Group fucks with OmniGraffle like this, I will loving riot)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sleepwalkers posted:

What’s this web situation about?

They basically moved OmniFocus to a web app and subscription based. And apparently that's the future for OmniFocus now. I'm less upset about the sub than I am moving your data to a WebApp.

I can't complain about prices too much since work picked up the tab for Omni Group stuff on all my devices.

I'll admit I'm a little stunned at Fantastical going "here's an update, by the way it's now subscription for premium features". That's a bold move. I'll withhold my judgement on it until I play with it more, but if I find it useful I'll probably end up subscribing.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Yeah I just deleted the app and went to google calendar for now (all my calendars are on google) and will ignore anything the fantastical goofballs do in the future.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way now. I tried giving it a chance, but my patience is all gone after they hosed up the Watch app. Looks like I'll be using the stock calendar until I can find a good replacement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

virinvictus posted:

Anybody else have issues with Reminders.app syncing between MacOS and iOS?

I have 17 tasks on my Mac but 8 of them show on iOS and none of the others come up. It’s weird.

If I unsync and resync, it just deletes the list on MacOS and reverts to the iOS one. Even though the MacOS one is newer.

Just a stab in the dark, but did you upgrade the Reminders in MacOS to the new format? I don't think you get a choice in iOS and I'm not sure what kind of wonkiness might happen if you don't update to the new format in MacOS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

There needs to be some clarity about exactly how long something will supported and what you are buying into then.

If a game comes out for PS3, I can reasonably expect I may have to pay for it again if it is ported to PS4. Because it's been made clear that it is a different platform. With iOS you have no idea if something will work for a month or 10 years. There needs to be some sort of expectation of quality control which Apple seems to have zero.

:lmao:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

What exactly is making you laugh your rear end off here?

veni veni veni posted:

There needs to be some sort of expectation of quality control which Apple seems to have zero.

Expecting any kind of quality control from Apple these days. And I say that as someone balls deep in the "Apple Ecosystem".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Which to-do app do people use now that everyone and their mother stopped creating them?

I moved from Omni Focus to Things about a year ago and have been pretty happy with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Capture
https://www.newtek.com/software/ndi-capture/
Lets you convert the screen into a NDI HX video feed

Thanks for the information.

I tried downloading the MacOS tools, but I keep getting this frustrating message:

Anyone have any ideas? I've turned off all extensions (incl. adblockers) and still get it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

The download button calls a small popup, maybe some cookie block is stopping it from appearing?

EDIT: the tools package for mac is http://new.tk/NDITOOLSAPPLE and the HX driver is http://new.tk/NDIHX-Driver-OSX if you can't manage to skip the form

Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mine's been working fine, but I think I had to create an account on their cloud/web thing before it did. I'm pretty sure I found something on their website on how to fix the watch sync issue.

e: Yeah, here it is

https://flexibits.com/support/kb/156

quote:

If you're having Apple Watch issues:

If your Apple Watch is stuck in a red sync arrow, this should be fixed in Fantastical 3.0.6. You need to update your app and you should also restart your phone and watch after installing it to get it to work. Also, make sure you've signed up for a free Flexibits account and logged into it on your iPhone. Also make sure that you've signed into your Calendar accounts in Fantastical on your iPhone as well. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 24, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah that's the problem I had. I'm not sure if that covers a panoply of issues, but the bit from the Flexibits' KB is what helped me (my post just above). Specifically the bolded part.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

still works normally for me. have you tried reinstalling the app?

Same. Just tested it, zero issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL gently caress MY rear end

I decided to try Google ONE LAST TIME and it finally spit out the solution to my problem!

Turns out I just needed something called an “app-specific password” which is a thing you can get from your iCloud account profile page. You click a couple of links and it farts out an auto-generated character string that you can use as a login password with your Apple ID on third-party apps that connect to your iCloud account, like iCloud Mail.

I can’t help but feel like Apple is to blame for this taking me 12 hours to fix because they completely failed to make this information easier to find.

Do you just come here to rant about a problem and then NOT READ THE SOLUTION posters in this thread supplied?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

But then how will I remember it lol

Have it alert you?

Just set it up as recurring, set an alarm for it, and stuff it into a list you look at.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jazz Marimba posted:

can’t be, mine recently started opening with sunglasses/no mask

Well, unless your lenses block IR, sunglasses are like normal glasses as far as FaceID is concerned.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Good drat it, Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

obi_ant posted:

Any ad blockers that can block YouTube ads in browser? I’m using Purify and it doesn’t work.

It's an arms race. 1Blocker seems to work best for me, but usually it goes blocking works>you tube figures it out>blocking fixed ad nauseam. Lately, the in stream ads You Tube inserts have been getting through the filtering for me on both iOS and macOS Safari and Chrome.