Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Both are fine in fact. I've used both and love them, but I love Overcast a bit more because of Smart Speed. It's a useful feature.

Note that Overcast's smart speed isn't available in the webplayer, which always makes me default to either using my phone or not listening at all. Getting used to the convenience has a cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

I have a stupid question, I admit that

But how do you guys use to do apps? Do you just check the app occasionally to see what you had scheduled yourself to do? I made a notation to call someone today but I wouldn't have known about it unless I opened the app and that time, I already remembered *why* I was opening the app and what was in it.

Pretty much that. It feels weird when you start doing it, but it's more about getting an overview of your immediate goals into your routine than some magic that suddenly makes you organized. These days I keep a paper planner for personal things that has cursory references to work items, and then work items on the phone with cursory references to personal things (I.e. Grocery list on paper, need to buy groceries listed on phone).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What pedometer can explain this meme to me? (No seriously where did this meme come from).

It started in the old Apps megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522474&pagenumber=51&perpage=40#post41618776

Basically, all at once a bunch of people were asking about password manager "Dashlane" without having read the 1-5 posts before them that also were asking about "Dashlane." This thread only talks about password managers, podcast clients, and weather apps with orange icons anyway.

I guess content blockers are joining that pantheon now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I upgraded anyway because it's probably one of my most-used apps. Tweetbot 4 is real pretty and the Activity page is going to be super useful. That was kind of a glaring omission in Tweetbot 3.

Isn't this the same company that was supposed to update their ipad app in 2012 for free? Isn't this also the first update to the app offered since that announcement?

I really just want to know how angry and vocal Tweetbot users are going to be over the next few weeks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

I too think that $1 is a fair price for many man hours of labor

It is pretty lovely to anyone who bought it between 2012 and late September, 2015. But, that's why you don't purchase software for what it will become. Maybe TweetBot 5 will be a kickstarter with backer rewards and stretch-goal features.

flosofl posted:

I'm disappointed, but in no way surprised. Tapbot has always been about squeezing as much money as they can out of Tweetbot. I don't necessarily blame them for that, since their other product is a pale shadow compared to PCalc. And they really did put a ton of work into the new version.

There will be a vocal minority, but I think most people won't care enough to bitch, because it is such a vast improvement.

I found that the only real way I interact with twitter is from bitlbee, the service itself just doesn't fit into how I interact with technology otherwise. So, basically, Prompt is my ios twitter client of choice. I hear decent things about that one that looks like an-honest-to-god-CRT-terminal, but eew.

Edit: /\/\/\ Could be, but if it were wouldn't they announce that to deflect the blame?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

I have Tweetbot 4 for iOS and Tweetbot for Mac - has anyone ever had these two successfully sync? I tried both iCloud and Tweetmarker and both of them don't seem to make the cross-platform leap. How do I fix this and not have to find my spot in 600+ toots?

ufarn posted:

Sync between iOS and Mac is a bit of a crap shoot. I wouldn't count on syncing anything but your timeline. If the two aren't synced, try moving up and down on the timeline you want to be synced.

This app sounds like it has a flaw for every selling point, and worse the flaws are inconsistent so you don't even know which experience you'll be getting when you open it.

I know I'm hating on TweetBot a bit in here, but it just astounds me the amounts you're willing to put up with at the price point. Is it really worth it, or is it the sunk cost fallacy?

(Or is tweetbot 4 sinking in to just be a poo poo upgrade?)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

The app is $5. For me this just means I got one less beer last night out.

If another app exists where I can browse my lists quickly, I'd be more than interested.

So "it's not good, but at least it's better?" That I can understand. I don't entirely get how others use twitter and this is informative.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hahaha he's taking a pay cut due to his neuroses over how and how many people use his app, and will effectively force other iOS podcast players out of the market. Overcast isn't perfect for everyone but it's good enough for enough people that I'd be surprised if there's enough of a market for the rest to be profitable. Marco you tool.

Wasn't smart speed pretty much the only thing unlocked by paying? I bought the IAP a day or two after downloading Overcast so I don't really remember what was and wasn't behind the paywall, but I don't see that alone cannibalizing the market. Whether it does or not, if he's still getting his money then that's an issue with the monetization of the other apps, it's not like the futures market. If another app can find a way to do something like smart speed from a web/desktop player I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

I agree with the tool part, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

So LastPass has been purchased by LogMeIn. How quickly do I need to jump ship?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TinTower posted:

The major market for TeamViewer is for basement dwellers getting their rocks off by being told what to do by Internet dominatrices. See also: kik. :haw:

(The sex worker community on Twitter are pretty cool and laid-back when they're off the clock)

Major market != What you personally use it for.

But major cool points for knowing sex workers on Twitter, I guess?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Evernote owns because it incorporates OCR into all scanned items and you can then search for them from Evernote. Google Drive doesn't do that I don't think.

I actually don't use Evernote for anything but scans.

Scanbot would be doing the OCR work in this flow, and it does so with aplomb I dare say.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Who the hell washes their cupboards on a recurring basis?

I do. Every spring and fall. That's also when vent covers go through a full dish cycle, the garage floor gets powerwashed, etc. How dusty is your hovel?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

Except the youtube app is garbage.

The youtube music app?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

XBenedict posted:

You're not the only one who says this, and I seriously don't understand it. Catalogue is way more important to me, and thus, Google wins hands down. The ability to upload 50,000 of your own songs to fill in the gaps in the catalogue is immensely important to me.

I guess I enjoy listening to music more than I enjoy keeping lists of what I've listened to :shrug:

gMusic 2: a Music Player for Google by IIS
https://appsto.re/us/TdLpQ.i has last.fm support, and that ability that is immensely important to you is useless to anyone who doesn't have more than 20k songs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

canyonero posted:

I'm having a strange issue. I noticed that my App Store badge has been at 1 for weeks now, and that Lara Croft Go was sitting in there still, un-updated. I tapped update, but it just flashed and the Update button reappeared. I tried restarting the iPad, and deleting the app. But now it won't let me download it again. I've even tried signing out/in to the App Store. Any ideas?

Wait for the next iOS update that will hopefully fix the minor broken issue of "Downloading and storing apps." For fucks sake, Apple, between this and the Mac App Store.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Is there some sort of greater benefit of scrobbling I don't know about? I've seen people time and time again say they can't live without it. As far as I know it just creates internet noise because no one cares what you personally listen to. I'd like to think there's a really great part of all this I'm missing.

It's a form of diary that remains across music platforms--I've been through winamp, itunes, tomahawk, google play, amazon, songza, mpd, foobar, and I'm sure countless others that I'm forgetting. The ability to look back and find a group of songs I was listening to around those moments you want to remember is invaluable, and keeping it in one place makes that an endeavor I actually take. Because of that, I'll almost always switch to the alternative that can scrobble than the one with a slightly better selection/UI that cannot.

A local solution would not be as appealing, if only again due to device migrations and not seeing a need to lock viewing my music history behind any form of credential. If last.fm didn't exist, it would work, but that along with the social benefits and the routine of 13 years keeps it preferable.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 16, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

beefnoodle posted:

That's fine, you don't seem to be among the complainers.

I'm among the complainers. iTunes is bad software. I can manage my way around it now that I have a current-line workstation, but when I was using older Apple hardware iTunes would spend more time unresponsive than not. I don't expect older computers to run blazingly fast or anything, but I do expect them to be able to communicate with the phone without crashing in the middle of a sync. The users I most interact with think hanging and crashing are the same thing, and iTunes is just as likely to do either on older hardware--which leads to users needing external support more often than not just to get a ringtone onto their phone. Not every user who finds something they don't know how to do has the knowledge to find the solution to their problem on the internet and/or the time to spend on the phone with support, so we're talking about lowered consumer satisfaction.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dik-dik posted:

I hate iTunes as much as the next person but when it comes to poo poo like transferring ringtones from your computer to your phone, it really is as simple as could possibly be. You literally just add the ringtone to your iTunes library, and set your phone to sync ringtones. Like, are y'all really struggling with this?

I agree iTunes should ideally be stripped down to just a music player with a separate app for iPhone management, but it does everything it's supposed to do. Aside from the aesthetic and philosophical annoyance with having to use a music player to sync stuff between your computer and your phone, is there anything about the actual function that y'all are mad about?

Yes. The biggest problem is it doesn't always do what it's supposed to do. It runs like poo poo on older hardware, becoming unresponsive and (sometimes) crashing, with no way for the (average) user to know which is happening. These lockups often lead to the connection with the device being dropped, which means sync fails, which means you try again and hope it doesn't crash again. Older hardware being slower to run iTunes is fine, but not successfully performing iTunes operations (even slowly) is inexcusable. The only reason the better hardware is necessitated is the iTunes cruft--my music library is still mp3/mp4 as it was a decade ago, it's still between 10k and 15k songs as it was a decade ago, and it still only needs to perform the basic backup and sync functions with the iPhone that it did 9 years ago. Does the computer support USB2? Does the iPhone support USB2 via Lightning? That's all a user should have to care about.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dik-dik posted:

How old are you talking? It still runs fine on my 2007 MacBook Pro with my 12K song library

'09 iMac is where my personal library is relevant, but I've seen these issues in up to 2012 hardware on OS X. FWIW, I don't see these same issues on Windows hardware from the same time period unless it's low-spec like a netbook. The iMac isn't my primary machine or anything, but doing the poo poo support work I currently do, I see users with that issue often enough to think it bullshit.

There are plenty of other problems with iTunes, but simply making two separate applications would solve a lot of those issues.

-----

As for ringtones being frivolous, sure, for sake of argument, let's say they are in every circumstance frivolous; that doesn't change that it's what many users consider a basic aspect of a cell phone, and while you can download an alternative music player that pulls from the cloud or dropbox or w/e to use in place of Music on the phone, there is no such replacement for ringtones that doesn't require the user to interact with iTunes on a computer.

But really, gently caress it, if I could go a week without having to reinstall some application on my iPhone because it disappeared/got stuck updating I'd call it a good week at this point. I'm able to negotiate myself down to that being a victory.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Goodreader is getting a big update with a different UI soon.

I don't know if I feel excited or worried. I kind of hope they just troll us and go full command line.

It's basically ranger with a gui and every viewing plugin at this point. I'm okay with that idea.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Anyone have any words about Zombies, Run!, The Walk, or any similar app? I don't do much running, but I do walk all around the city for no reason in particular and this seems like kind of a fun way to spice it up.

I tried Zombies, Run! a few times and really wanted to like it, but after a few days I'd feel like music or a podcast and never feel the urge to return. It felt distractingly LARP-y, like it was a carrot for people who don't already enjoy working out as opposed to something that could enhance an existing habit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Third party keyboard support is terrible and not worth it.

Nintype is interesting if you've ever wanted typing to be like playing a video game, I guess.

Specifically, Dark Souls, because you'll lose the game every ten seconds and have no clue how or why. Nintype is(was) great on jailbreak, but I'm fairly certain Apple will never allocate a proper amount of device memory to 3rd party keyboards.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

bartlebyshop posted:

This only works for the iOS one, right? Not for the desktop OSX app?

correct

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

1Password has a subscription with multi-device licensing now.

This is for multi-user setups, single user across multiple devices is still the old price model.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

I made the switch to 1password. Y'all still use it and keychain together? I turned off autofill on Safari for keychain. What's everyone's set up? Just want to make sure I'm doing it the best I can.

I was thinking about clearing my keychain and starting fresh.

Clear your keychain. Keeping your passwords in multiple easily accessible locations is inherently less secure than keeping them in one location. There's no redundancy here, once the passwords are out it doesn't matter where they came from, so the less places they can come from the better.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Housh posted:

Polymail beta only works with gmail and iCloud?

http://polymail.io is the homepage, top result, and link for "developer website" under the app description in the app store. The homepage answers your question, it is not buried underneath an FAQ. It's the 4th section of the homepage with the section header "Seamlessly manage all your accounts."

To answer your question, no Polymail does not yet support anything but Gapps, Gmail, and iCloud. If you lookup their mobile site it states that Yahoo, Outlook, IMAP, and Exchange are coming soon but if you load the desktop site Exchange is missing. Both of those make me question if they know how to do anything but reference google and apple APIs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Hey, I know we've talked about password managers to death, well, Lastpass exploit. It's already been patched, but anyone using autofill on desktop should be changing their passwords now (and turning autofill off are you g-d kidding me?). Probably not the day to send me an ad e-mail Subject: Don't lock your loved ones out Body: Secure your digital will blah blah blah.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Where do people get cheap iTunes gift cards? I see them seemingly often, but I can't find any deals right now.

https://twitter.com/itunescarddeals is where I always check

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone use the Microsoft apps here? I'm having a problem with excel claiming any new file I open through one drive is corrupted- despite it working fine on my laptop.

Was wondering if anyone else using excel/onedrive is having problems?

I haven't had it with excel, but I have this issue with OneNote and Word. Deleting the app and reinstalling seems to fix, so it is likely a cache issue. That sucks and takes forever, so if there's a better solution I'm all ears--but I don't see what that solution could be. A forced refresh doesn't fix it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Milkman posted:

The only thing to look out for is if the KeePass app has a way to access Google Drive, since you don't have straight up filesystem access on iOS. I would imagine any keepass apps would have good cloud service integration though, because that's the easiest way to sync the database.

You can always use the google drive app to access the database then send it via share menu to your keepass application, it's not the end of the world to use things like Minikeepass that don't have a cloud service provider integration. (Or at least it didn't have that, I haven't used it in a while)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ray_finkle_himself posted:

So is 1password free to use on iOS but costs money on windows? If I store all my passwords in the app am I stuck typing them in manually on windows?

https://1password.com/ you're in a 30 day free trial. It will end and you will no longer be allowed to add passwords until you've paid, although you'll still be able to retrieve. Reading the descriptions of the Apps you download and maybe checking their websites is recommended before posting the most basic of questions about them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

baram. posted:

lastpass has been breached before and they don't exactly seem to be taking any strides to fix it.

flosofl posted:

Last Pass is bad if your goal is to actually keep secret things secret.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Hey, I know we've talked about password managers to death, well, Lastpass exploit. It's already been patched, but anyone using autofill on desktop should be changing their passwords now (and turning autofill off are you g-d kidding me?). Probably not the day to send me an ad e-mail Subject: Don't lock your loved ones out Body: Secure your digital will blah blah blah.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/hack-brief-password-manager-lastpass-got-breached-hard/

https://www.cnet.com/news/lastpass-ceo-reveals-details-on-security-breach/

Plus, it's owned by LogMeIn so you can easily assume that they're always acting in bad faith.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yeah if you're not using 2FA to protect your vault and other important logins then those things are concerning.

These are signs that their system and philosophy around matters of security are flawed, even if those specific breaches didn't end up harming you (and you wouldn't necessarily know if those breaches have harmed/will harm you, they haven't been dumped yet). I don't care to keep my most secure information with people who don't value it as secure. That's all.

flosofl posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/27/zero_day_hole_can_pwn_millions_of_lastpass_users_who_visit_a_site/

speaks volumes to their inability to QA for information leakage. LastPass is bad, do not use.

I feel like this is seat belts for computers. "I've never had anything happen and I've never worn a seatbelt!" Not using LasPass is something that reduces the risk of future harm.

Yeah, I quoted myself on that hole in the one that Tuyop quoted me on, but the double-quote didn't survive. Also condoms are good, people, and don't do kegstands in the back of a moving pickup truck.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

withak posted:

Just do what I do and write down your usernames and passwords on a piece of paper then fold that paper up and put it in a plastic baggie then put the plastic baggie up your rear end. No shady software developers or cloud service providers will ever get my passwords!

far better plan than lastpass, unless of course you also validate sketchy requests to your rear end

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

bobfather posted:

If someone breaches Dropbox
Your process is spot on, but that phrasing implies that someone hasn't breached dropbox and yeah, about that... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/09/07/hacked-dropbox-data-of-68-million-users-is-now-or-sale-on-the-dark-web/ https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2014/10/dropbox-wasnt-hacked/ (the last one for the lol factor)

which would all be fine, but to speak to their philosophy, https://sethvargo.com/dropbox-hasnt-learned-their-lession/.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

Isn't that the exact reason people poo poo on LastPass?

The basic problem is that as soon as something exists on someone else's hard drive, even if it's transient, you've given up control of your data and should assume it's only a matter of time before someone compromises it.

"Safe enough for now" doesn't cut it.

Yes, but you don't have to use their sync service to use 1password. There's no alternative storage method for lastpass.

bobfather posted:

Doesn't really matter, since there aren't any known holes with 256-bit AES, the encryption AgileBits uses on their 1Pass vaults. I wouldn't feel unsafe if anyone had access to my .opvault, unless they were using computers from a couple hundred years in the future.

Also, Dropbox is arbitrary. You can also use iCloud to sync, WiFi sync, or even BT Sync (BT Sync doesn't work on iOS devices).

With LastPass, you're depending on a single entity to 1) ensure the security of their web servers and 2) ensure the security of the data accessed through those servers. I could sit at a Starbucks and MITM LastPass all day and get login information that would get me direct access to people's passwords. I could do the same for Dropbox, but all I'd get is access to a 1Pass vault with a big fuckoff password.

Right on. I wasn't trying to criticise the security of your process, just making sure that while we're on the topic that no one missed the forest for the trees and took it as a recommendation to specifically use dropbox, when they're just as deserving of shame as lastpass.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

There's a TV app on iphone as well now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

priznat posted:

I was thinking of doing a subscription to one of the big newspapers/news magazines (wsj, nytimes, economist, ?) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on the iOS apps alone, since that's where I'd be reading it mostly.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get an electronic 6 mo trial WaPo sub free. https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/prime/ No clue how good the app is.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kalman posted:

There is a way but it might be a lot of effort. I have some enterprise AP passwords that are loaded to my device via a profile install. For those SSIDs, there's an autojoin option I can turn off without losing the password.

So you could probably make a profile with the wifi password and load that?

If you create a VPN profile, it will allow for those controls over every network the VPN operates on. If you let the VPN run on every network, it allows the fine grained controls for every network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hadji murad posted:

Is there a good Irc client that will maintain a connection?

No. You need a bouncer of some kind to maintain a connection beyond 10 minutes; IRCloud is a single-solution bouncer and client, but unless you get a paid account it will only maintain your connection for two hours after all clients disconnect. If you have a computer that is always on, you can use the IRCloud helper plugin to act as an always on client, bypassing this issue. Notifications will be sent to both your phone and PC then.

I use Palaver to connect to ZNC running on a VPS.