Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Bendigeidfran posted:

It is, but how fun it is depends a lot on which Haunt you end up getting. Like Vampires are really fun but the Blob is just tedious and bland. Some of them are also overpowered as hell (which is good! Seeing hapless humans horribly perish is the best part of the game!)

What I find amazing is that there are multiple Betrayal at House on the Hill knock-offs currently on Kickstarter.

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since we're talking board games, are there any good Descent-style games that can be played solo?

I don't know if it's good, but I'm waiting on my copy of Shadows of Brimstone to ship. It's an old west dungeon crawler that can be played solo. Mantic's also got Dungeon Saga coming out next year with a solo mode for both the heroes and the villain.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

PeterWeller posted:

I think it makes sense with the 40K RPGs, where being a space marine is vastly different than being some scrub who works for an inquisitor, and even a two game split would make sense to me in Star Wars because Old Republic Jedi adventures are quite different than Rebellion Era adventures, and it's difficult to balance Force users against non-Force users. But I don't see a reason to split up rebels and scoundrels, and from what I understand, there are balance problems around force users in the two games that are out. So it just seems rather pointless to me beyond being a different way to organize the line.

For what its worth, the Age of Rebellion stuff has a lot of different assumptions than Edge of the Empire, and the classes have more of a team/support focus. Even though they're rebels its still treated as a structured military organization and both the DM and Fluff chapters reinforce this with new material stressing those elements. Its geared towards a different sub genre, really, despite the same underlying rules system.

I appreciate having both EotE and AoR, but I'm pretty sure I won't bother with Force and Destiny because Jedi are basically boring as poo poo (unless we're talking KOTOR 2)

Suck it, space wizards

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'll never understand people who desperately ache for a Star Wars with no jedi in it. It's like wanting to play Shadowrun but hating the orks and mages. Dudes, there's settings and systems right there for you, just take the obligatory big animal race and call it a wookie.

I like the FFG system and also enjoyed WHFRP using basically the same dice :colbert:

Also I've only ever used tech characters in Shadowrun. Maybe I'm the problem with games?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Jedi are fine as elements of the story and setting, but I don't really feel like having them as playable characters? Partially due to the aforementioned "I'm going to ignore the EU stuff about hundreds of Jedi running around". Jedi are cool, in moderation. When theres an entire party of them, or the story is only about them, or its Clone Wars/Prequel Syndrome it basically saps tension out of the room.

Can it be interesting? Yeah, it can. I love the KOTOR games and just about everyone ends up a Jedi. KOTOR 2 is also probably one of the best Star Wars EU stories and its partially because it deconstructs and undermines the ridiculous simple morality of Jedi and Sith. Is that what I feel like playing or running? Not really. Theres more than just Jedi that define Star Wars and its nice to give people who aren't weird crazy wizard dudes the spotlight. Let's focus on Rogue Squadron guys, or do not-Firefly. Its a fun universe, and sometimes you want a story that isn't all about the mystical force and destiny and prophecies. Do they exist in the universe? Yeah. Might it be involved in the story? Absolutely

But do I want it to be the focus? Not really, and its a matter of taste.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's kind of a really common statement whenever EotE comes up. It shows up nonstop in the thread.

I have literally never seen this said in the Star Wars RPG thread. What have I seen? Debates over the power level of the Jedi and the vast gulf between how they are portrayed in the Original Trilogy vs. All other media.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

and the way nobody exposits what the hell the Exile has actually been up to was really confusing.

It actually does a pretty good job of letting you determine both what your motivations were and what you did through your choices. The Restoration Patch expands on a lot of this content, but it was there in the original. A lot of stuff isn't info-dumped on you because you're the one making the choices.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm going to shut up about Star Wars, but theres no one here saying what Cirno is railing against. Some people just would like to have the spotlight on non-Jedis sometimes. Some people think they're rare and some people think they're breeding like rabbits. Its your game, do what you want. Its not badwrongfun to play a Star Wars game without Jedi.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

These writers also tend to follow comic book rules of upping the ante in terms of power because what story is there to tell after the supposedly universal story? Even Lucas forgets everything he learned and makes jedi ridiculously more powerful than anything seen in the original trilogy because he had to sell some toys to make back all the money he lost in his divorce.

The worst thing about the Age of Rebellion book was that it dedicated valuable page space to retelling the story of The Force Unleashed

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

RPZip posted:

Wait, really?

Page 386 is almost entirely dedicated to the plot of The Force Unleashed. Until the recent canon shakeup, Lucas had made The Force Unleashed canon and it was basically treated as a top source and laid the groundwork for how/why the resistance started. Actually, that first few pages of Chapter IX including p386 are drawn from that material.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm pretty sure theres no way the new show Star Wars Rebels could do a worse job of showing the early Rebellion.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

dwarf74 posted:

So, speaking of d6 WEG Star Wars, there's this...

http://d6holocron.com

Think of it like Classic Marvel Forever, but for d6 Star Wars instead of Marvel FASERIP.

This is pretty awesome, cheers!

All this Star Wars talk makes me wish somebody was opening up a SW PbP. I'd do it, but I am literally the worst at GMing/PbPing.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Impermanent posted:

I think I don't understand the POV of someone who just straight up doesn't believe in their ability to put all of the pieces of a game back together after they're done playing with it.

Like, do you do your dishes?

I'm imagining a room full to the brim with old takeout containers

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think that would require someone to actually own it.

I'd do it, but theres no way I'm spending money on it on DTRPG

Perhaps we could do a more YOSPOS version of Secret Santa this year with a D&D red box full of cockroaches or Cthulhutech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

I never got what people saw in Deadlands. The setting always sounded kinda like a pile whenever my friends would describe it to me.

The setting itself had some vague promise, but just about everything they put out for it setting wise or metaplot wise was kind of poo poo. When I played it, I cut out a lot of the setting- the chinese taking over the west coast, steampunk mormons, secret agent ghost lincoln--etc. Also the aforementioned confederate apologism and honestly pretty racist portrayals of native americans.

I kind of just wanted to play a horror/western game, and liked the idea of what amounts to the four horseman of the apocalypse descending to earth, the dead rising back up at Gettysburg, etc. I wanted a setting that was not quite so gonzo.

So why not play a different game/system? Good question, I eventually did.

Also my opinions are super contradictory because I backed the Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter which is a dungeon crawl game set in the old west, basically Deadlands with the serial numbers filed off, and includes zombie cosmonauts and all manner of weird ridiculous poo poo

Evil Mastermind posted:

You just reminded me that it's almost TradGames Secret Santa time! :dance:

Last year was great and I can't wait to do it again!

• Locked thread