Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bro love can run deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Who wants to back my kickstarter idea for an oxy acetylene torch that starts playing the A Team theme song when you light it.

I don't recognize your name but you just might be an upcoming really drat good AI poster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Terry Francona posted:

whats the importance of that? i dont know much about cars really.

This is not the car for you. Run away. Now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Oh. My. gently caress. Having Bombay Sapphire for the first time, I'm still kind of new to gin but I think I have a new favorite until I grow some balls and start trying the non-walmart varieties. I wasn't going to get hosed up tonight, but...

If you think sapphire is good you need to go find http://www.bluecoatgin.com/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I like gin and tonics but I can never taste the differences in gins. They all taste like pine trees to me.

Good gin isn't to be mixed with tonic, which is probably why you can't taste the difference. If it's for a G&T just use Bombay or something middle shelf. Or if you really like a good bite Beefeater (that's my go-to for gin and tonics).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Okay nerds (kastein?) I have a problem. My stereo recently stopped working on phono.

The black connector here, with the white poo poo around it, is the connection for the record player. When plugged in, nothing. But if I pull on it a bit, magically it spins. Is this just a bad solder joint? And if so, can I simply reflow it, or do I get to do my first repair job? I can solder and braze piping, but the only electrical I've ever done was a lovely LED light a decade ago.

Yep, just reflow it from the bottom.

And C1336 is dead/dying (top left electrolytic cap). While the board is off find another and replace it. And any other electrolytic that looks like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

This is why I loving love SA. Now come help me with my two vintage radios

Thanks guys. 😚

Also, if you haven't done repair soldering before, start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKX-GBe_lUI

Even if you already know what you're doing, it's worth it for the music.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

So does the 4.0 Exploder. It'd still take a month to make it there and back. If the route was completely flat.

You don't know how good you have it.

I owned a second gen ranger 2.3l with the crazy rear end dual spark plugs.

The A/C switch worked as a jake brake.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Phonechat: Oneplus is having a 1-hour order window open to anyone from 11:00-Noon on Oct. 27.

Things like invite-only and this makes me not want to give them any business. They're cheap social marketing tricks.

Sell your phones or don't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

e: I also tried my hand at replacing the smashed touch screen on my phone last night. I used windscreen RTV to stick it on. It's the same thing only smaller... right?

I glued the replacement screen into my Nexus 7 with 3M FasTack trim adhesive. Worked fine. What you used it probably even better suited.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Anyone know if there's any coolant flushes better than the standard Prestone poo poo you get at Advance Auto and whatnot? I'm guessing it's all pretty much the same poo poo. Have a bit of a rust issue that I need to sort out before I replace a water pump.

Phosphoric acid Oxalic acid and water if you really need to clean it. That's what used to be in radiator flushes but people kept pouring it down storm drains and poo poo so it's all a lot milder now.

If you use it, you need to flush the radiator several times and then fill it with a solution of water and like a whole box of baking soda to make drat sure you've removed or neutralized any remaining acid.

Edit: changed acid type, don't know what I was thinking before. Not that phosphoric won't work, but oxalic is what used to be in "2 part" radiator flushes that don't seem to be available anymore.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 25, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

seeing about the possibility of getting 3 phase 208 (we're right down the road from a substation, so we're hopeful).

That has little to do with substation location and everything to do with what transformers are on the poles near the property. If there isn't a 3-phase one already you'll likely have to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Depending on how the phone was waterlogged I've been able to save them to varying degrees (water skiing yes, full immersion no). The rice trick has never ever worked for me, though.

I think that's one of those 'one old weird tricks' that persist in the cultural memory despite being at best placebo effect.

The logic is reasonably sound, but honestly if you have the wherewithal to take your phone apart, even partially, putting it under an incandescent light bulb is going to be a better plan. Hosing it down with board cleaner and then under some heat even better than that.

• Locked thread