Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wonder if anyone thought years ago that our encroaching collective alcoholism would be what finally kills D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

First they came for the Dans, and I said nothing for I was not a Dan.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm applying to an MBA program this week and my inner leftist is feeling a little defeated.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's a big thread on it already because it didn't really have anything to do with US politics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pohl posted:

I can't stop the potential derail if you say what I edited out of my post!
Actually, that thread is horrible and I hope it gets better because page one sucked.

actually yeah, i agree. vice and the daily show sure are making a fuss, but everyone else seems pretty cautious and nobody reads cautious articles :shobon:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Okay, so stupid hypothetical. Which candidates for either party would make for a truly generational election? And would the candidates chosen by both parties, no matter their age, represent a generational politics? Clinton vs. Paul jumps out at me in this scenario, as Gen X citizens are fairly likely to vote and skew conservative/libertarian. Who could run that could turn out Millennials in greater-than-Obama numbers?

What are the chances the Democratic candidate is older than the Republican candidate? What are the chances that candidate is older by a whole generation than the opponent? Correct me please, but I believe Romney is the only viable boomer Republican candidate, which signals a major coming shift in generational politics. I'm probably leaving out the B-team, I actually don't know how old Kasich and folk are. I'm not considering Christie a viable national candidate because he's not.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 10, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Irrelevant, no matter how many twenty-year olds vote republican it won't make up for their grandparents being dead.

i just spent the evening with a room full of my chronological peers but the average family size was like seven and i'm still hyperventilating

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I believe the main wake-up call should have been that black voters turned out better than white voters in 2012, and Serious People talked about demographic outreach. But that's all been poo poo and the grand strategy has once again reverted to driving up racist white turnout which has been fairly reliable since 1968. Eventually, it's just not going to work. Because of our strong-president FPTP two-party sytem, you'll see the presidential elections swing first (which we're obviously in the middle of), then statewide elections, and finally congressional and state legislative districts. A massive swing in favor of one party takes years, and when it happens it causes chaos in both parties. I've been twitchy over a party realignment for a decade, and historically we're overdue for one. With our rapid demographic changes, we're as dynamic a political society as we have been since 1908-1912 imo. I'm loving the strong [I] senatorial runs this cycle, just for the sake of political chaos and increased voter awareness.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Do you think the Dem nominee will be Hillary, a Clinton-ally, or neither?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'd give 50/50 on this

Well, there are three choices, Dan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sentimentality is a tool for use with the emotionally weak.

ilu btw, haters gon' hate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm sort of curious who she thinks is going to be won over by this.

Just came here to post that ad. My god.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So how does involuntary annexation work? Here in the Austin 'burbs, it's a series of patchwork MUDs and a constant battle between democratic forces one way or the other with lots of signs for annexation meetings every few months.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This owns.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pro-click.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goodluck Jonathan has a PhD in Zoology, I bet he'd get along with Gingrich pretty well. Multiple wives and all.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao did she say "shoes" or "Choos"? I'd like to think it's the latter.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

There's even a parody site based on the Dems' emails this year: http://emailsfromthedccc.tumblr.com

It's hard to tell the parodies from the real emails they're sending.

I love this.

quote:

POLLING BEAR: Well, Billy, it’s all up to your parents.
SUZY: Our parents?
POLLING BEAR: That’s right, Suzy. We need your parents to come up with $50,000 by midnight tomorrow, or else!
Kids gasp.
SUZY: Or else what?
POLLING BEAR: That’s not for me to say, Suzy. But at a minimum, conservative policies will render their jobs obsolete and their savings worthless, and your personal autonomy as a woman will be outlawed!
Kids gasp.
STEVEY: Polling Bear, my dad says you’re wrong about this, that only the markets can create jobs and prosperity, and that free birth control is for women who can’t keep it in their pants.
POLLING BEAR: Your dad sounds like a real rear end in a top hat, Stevey.
Kids gasp.
BILLY: So what do we do, Polling Bear?
POLLING BEAR: Why, get your parents to donate, of course!
SUZY: But isn’t political fundraising a race to the bottom that perpetuates our broken legislative system and enslaves progressive candidates to the same forces pushing the policies we’re campaigning against?
Polling Bear pauses for 45 seconds.
POLLING BEAR: No!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Can someone parse this? It's obviously meant to drive down black turnout, especially in Michigan, but the angles of attack are...interesting. Sure has a high upvote rating, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSRZo1BE5o

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Still, the use of the word "neoliberal" either didn't come from a GOP astroturfing group, or it did and they have no idea what it means.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whats the tactful way to message this which resonates with rural, small-town voters while also avoiding pissing off big-city donors?

Serious answer, I'd love to know a more accurate message that can play across the rural/suburban/exurban/urban split.

Just rephrase the same opinion or campaign talking point as salt-of-the-earth common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

"This ain't about guns: this about theys gouging youse on the price of ammo once ya get your gun, when ya don't gots a reloading press in your family" ?

yes, literally "brian urlacher don't need guns to defend this house, i don't need guns to defend mine"

folksy and stupid is the future

• Locked thread