Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm lazy, someone post the ED screenshots since I sure as heck don't care about what a show's ED could even spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

I know I'm kind of late but the first episode seemed really dumb to me and I didn't like it but it has lots of room to go up I guess.

I was pretty indifferent to it myself despite loving the heck out of the first season. Felt like a rougher start than the first season to me, since we more or less had to sit through a tutorial session whereas the first season had Reiji figure it out live.

I think with me personally it's because the first season was the next Gundam thing after AGE, whereas this is happening at the same time as G-Reco and I'm just way more hyped for that!

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 11, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's a better intro than the first series, but I think that only lasts as long as they realize it should be the Fuumina show about Fuumina, who is the strongest character so far.

Yeah I do hope that winds up being the case.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Will I like Gundam Build Fighters if I don't know poo poo about Gundam?

I have shown the first season to people that had never watched anything Gundam and they enjoyed it. You miss out on some references but that's about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The fight followed championship regulations, hence why they did a 3 on 3. They spent a few minutes going over that the reason why they were being challenged is because they couldn't even field a group to go to the nationals.

You are being irrationally sensitive to Fumina to the point that its hampering your enjoyment of the show. You probably would be having a field day if she cried on every episode. (Im calling you the broken loose of this thread)

Whoa whoa don't say things to people that you can't take back! Nobody deserves that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After watching the new ep I gotta say that dang, Yuu's melodrama was kinda weighing it down for me (especially when combined with having to save the club again). Though at least it looks like it's taken care of for the time being; does look like the next episode is gonna be funnier than this one.

Not that I dislike what we've seen so far but I'm enjoying G-Reco way more. But at least for the moment it's a nice appetizer I can look forward to the day before the main course, so to speak.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I love the melodrama, personally. People being so super serious about their plastic robots that shoot one another just kinda reads as a comedy to me, and was the kind of show I watched religiously while younger (Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade.)

Oh don't get me wrong, more often than not I'm down with it and heck, it's practically the lifeblood of sports anime. It's mainly Yuu's melodrama in particular. But I'm not worried since at this point he has nowhere to go but up. I've seen a few characters a little similar to him that I initially disliked but gradually became my favorites (recent example: Rei in Free!) so I'm down for seeing what will happen to him as he gets into the swing of things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, I voiced these same complaints in the original BF thread and got pretty much the same responses, so I'm not overly shocked, but I'm a little annoyed at the "Broken Loose SJW autist" bullshits because I've specifically avoided trying to be insulting or implying any active nastiness either on the part of the show or other posters, nor am I passing judgment on the show as a whole. I have a problem with the show and, yes, I admit I'm not giving it the benefit of the doubt that it will get better about this one aspect because the original BF didn't really either. That doesn't mean I dislike the show, don't want to watch it or am not enjoying it.

While I might not agree with everything you've said on the matter I appreciate that you back up your points when people are pressing you, and that you don't just call anyone who disagrees with you an idiot and storm off.

W.T. Fits posted:

Guys, you're missing the point. ImpAtom's not saying Fumina's not a good, skilled pilot. He's saying that she's not being allowed to be the ideal Strong Independent Female Character Who Don't Need No Man to Help Her Get Ahead that his Social Justice Warrior ethos needs her to be.

Honestly posts like these are way more obnoxious since at least ImpAtom explaining the rationale behind his opinion, which last I checked isn't something the SJW types are able to do :v:.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I really feel like ImpAtom is trying to get some sort of misplaced revenge for the G-Reco thread, but it doesn't work because this show actually has strong female characters who aren't cheerleaders, vegetables, or constantly crying and losing.

:laffo:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom has always been a dude who is completely honest about his opinions, so I am p sure he is writing all this stuff because that's how he feels, not because of some really bizarre plan to get some sort of passive-aggressive revenge over the G-Reco thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

It's not some incredibly silly story, dude just quit because he lost and it took kung fu to bring him back. None of the musical cues or even the way the characters reacted to him were played for comedy, even though it would have been very simple to make that happen. If you want to read it as comedic that's cool, but it's really just a boring straight story that ties the episode down and takes the place of the actual good light comedy they could have written, like last episode was full of.

I have seen that sort of thing happen in sports anime before and it's following the same beats here more or less. I think the show is such that if they were going to make fun of it, they would make it pretty obvious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ral you fool, you need a fancier outfit if you wanna fit in!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Well now I want to see variants for all the other characters.

One of them has to be this or else there is no justice

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I agree with ImpAtom on this, I hope Sekai pulling out a super kung-fu move out of nowhere doesn't become overused like the build knuckle from season 1. Especially since with the focus on teamwork; it'd be all too easy to fall into a pattern where the battle plan is to faff about until Sekai decides he wants to win.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Is it just me or has the character animation kinda taken a nosedive compared to the first season? Perhaps G-Reco has really spoiled me in that regard but a lot of people felt a little lifeless this episode.

Though at least the battle this episode was pretty cool, the mechanical animation is still great and it's definitely a good thing that we had this sort of fight early on.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The characters are absolutely less animated. There's a lot more close-in shots and less goofy excessive reactions. It may just be a difference in cast. The Try team is a lot less goofy than the BF team.

Good to know it's not just me. While watching this episode I was reminded of the episode where Reiji and Aila went out together and got to make their own gunpla, and animation-wise this ep definitely felt lacking.

I think they're still trying for the same level of goofiness (they still have quirky expressions like at the end of this episode) but it feels like they're restraining themselves a bit in how they handle it. Odd!

Though at least despite that they still managed to actually do something with Mirai, nice to see her actually doing something.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 29, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Probably just reserving more budget for the robot fighting part, it's a shame, but I guess you would call that understanding the audience and what they really want to see.
I thought it was really goofy when sekai/hoshina/ral were talking and instead of just having the camera farther out to show all three of them at once it panned over to hoshino and cut sekai in half.

I thought it was a pretty good episode though.

Yeah that's probably right.

Despite my gripes about the character animation it was a fun episode though! Solid fight and even if a lot of the humor was fairly simple I still laughed at some of it. It's hard to not have at least a little bit of fun with the 'ol "following someone on a date" schtick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He wasn't bad, but I think rather than replacing Ral's VO, they should've swapped him for his wife Hamon. Just to mix it up a bit.

To be fair considering how the original voice actor is in the hospital I think it happened too sudden and too late in the production to make that sort of change. For a little while, at least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After watching the new episode, dang the show is really suffering from dull rivals at the moment. Gyanko's funny! Everyone else is just kinda stonefaced and way too serious about the whole thing. If we didn't meet Sakai in the previous episode I'd have no way of telling them all apart.

Also beating a team of faceless mooks is the sort of thing that would be the opening act for a season 1 episode, not the big fight for the episode. Boo.

(Heck, I really get the impression that I'd be enjoying this more if season 1 didn't exist because in a lot of aspects it's really falling short, to me)

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Warmachine posted:

To be fair, Gyanko and Sakai are the only rivals at the moment. Everyone else just exists undefined because all we've seen are quips and vignettes. Gyanko and Sakai both got to have fights with Sekai and Fumina, and had episodes where these were important.

I do think that this should have been a split episode though, just so we could watch the three of them take their sweet time wrecking their first round mook opponents. It was rushed as hell, but the problem wasn't them being mooks at all. Team Labcoat is the real first battle.

Yeah that's basically what I mean! At this point in the first season we were introduced to more battlers with personalities. Fellini, Mao, Kirara, and Yuuki.

Here we have Gyanko (who's definitely a fun character) and Sakai, who so far is a bland as heck rival dude. I'm just not finding the supporting cast to be as good as the first season's was so far.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This week's episode had a cooler fight than last but dang, did we really need two episodes in a row to show off new powerups? They could have rolled them into one episode and maybe spend the extra episode on developing another supporting character but that's just me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I found it weird/funny that last week they tried to hype up the Winning Gundam going from waverider mode to SD Gundam mode as something anyone should care about and then this week the Ez-8 team was all 'Pft, it's just an SD. We don't need to worry about it.'

Even Ral's compliment in the beginning of this ep was backhanded. He praises Sekai for being able to move in space, Yuu for having a transformation that makes him more than just a sniper, and he praised Hoshino for literally "being able to surprise them by transforming". I was just thinking "haha even Ral can't see how that was an upgrade either" (which if not for the OP showing the add-ons, I'd have the same question).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I, too, would enjoy seeing Hoshino be something other than someone who gives the rest of the team powerups and then shoots down the weakest mook on the enemy team.

Science team could have been cool if they had any sort of characterization at all. I think one of the two big flaws of this season is that they're rushing through rival battlers like they're going out of style, and only occasionally giving even a little characterization to them. One reason why everyone likes Gyanko is because she's one of the few who has been given a personality, and that it's one that's not incredibly serious also goes a long way!

(The other flaw being that the team fight theme hasn't been used well at all)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think the show is trying to do that, but due to poor fight choreography it isn't pulling it off. That is part of why I hold Fumina to a high standard because her core concept is strong but I don't feel they're living up to it. In comparison I expect roughly jack and poo poo from Raraiya Monday and so I'm not surprised when she's terrible.

Heck, this brings me to another thing I've been thinking about; the choreography and animation quality in general look like a step down from the first season.

I even looked at some of the fights from the early episodes to refresh my memory and it seemed like season 1 was definitely consistently better in that regard. 6 episodes in to the first season, we had the Yuuki rematch which everyone loved because it was like the sort of battle you'd normally see at the end of a show.

Even the other fights were all pretty distinct, but here it feels rather same-y; the first part of the science team fight was unique but then they resolve it by doing the same thing they've been doing every week, except with a different powerup this time.

Heck, I remembered the character animation being better in the first season but it was much better than what I thought it was like.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure if they have less budget or the budget is just stretched a lot further due to 6 units being on the field at once in every fight. The SD Gundam fight was a lot stronger and I think it was because they only had two guys to work with.

Yeah that's probably it. Which is a shame because it winds up being three 1 on 1 fights that look merely okay.

Though the choreography is something that should get by even with those problems, but alas.

I know that that it's practically a meme to talk about the second season of a Sunrise thing being worse, but dang I am just really feeling let down by this season so far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lessail posted:

I don't get how winning gundam forces the other two to fight as a team?

Yeah me neither, it makes Sekai and Yuu stronger individually.

Which is really weird because this episode has a scene where Sakai straight up says that their problem is that they're individually skilled but don't have good teamwork. Strange to bring attention to that and not do anything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think this episode was supposed to emphasize that Fumina holds the team together in bad situations, rather than that all three are working together individually and covering each other's weaknesses. It just is that in this particular episode she did this by shooting out powerups that emphasized their individual strengths.

I have a hard time telling if they're doing this intentionally or not. They keep emphasizing "they don't work together as a team" but then it keeps working out for them and it comes across like they learned something but they really didn't. Someone mentioned earlier also that the fights are always over in a flash. There's no "one guy goes down, the others recover." It might be better if Sekai could get wrecked (since he's the guy always rushing in) without it taking BBG out of action.

Yeah I can't tell either. It definitely would be good to have a fight that's not a clean sweep for once. Their MO of having three different 1 on 1 battles could go horribly wrong if one of Team Try loses their fight!

Plus it would actually give the team fights some tension, something that the team fights have definitely been lacking.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It might not have hit its stride yet but how long does a show need to hit its stride? I mean heck, I was sold on the Zaku fight in the second episode of season 1. We're now three times as far and they haven't had anything that has really sold me on the show.

It's a decent enough watch yeah but unlike the first season (and I'm comparing it up to episode 6 at this point to make the comparison fair) I haven't been blown away by anything yet, whereas the first season had multiple amazing fights at this point in time, and it was able to introduce more characters. I just haven't felt the fights so far to be particularly memorable.

It's definitely true that the first season is a tough act to follow but I'm finding a fair amount of aspects to be significantly worse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That was actually one of the things BFS1 did right is that the early part of the Big Tournament was point-based rather than elimination so losses (or ties) could happen without being an instant disqualification. It also hurt the second half though where we knew Sei and Reiji were going to win every single fight up until the finals, and the lineup of the matches made it super-obvious who was going to win every one.

I think that's going to really bite BF Try in the rear end because of the way it's setup.

Not just single elimination, but also because Sekai's Gundam is special so he's not going to casually take a lot of damage in a fight, because nobody would be able to fix it. Whenever that happens, it will be a big, important thing and probably won't happen often.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm not sure if I was just seeing things, but most of this episode seemed rather off-model for the characters, significantly more than in prior episodes. Lots of poorly drawn angles and changing proportions and there was something wrong with Fumina's face.

Also I have to agree that Fumina seems like a missed note. Though that's kinda how I'm feeling about the entire cast. They have these potentially interesting characters, but have managed to fall flat with a lot of the character development. It seems like the primary cast of three is working to a disadvantage, as episodes that could work well for building a specific character, or even two, are divided between the cast so everyone has substantial screentime. An episode that was entirely about Fumina's and Sakai's date, for example, could have been interesting, and could've been a stronger version of the Aila/Reiji learning to build gunpla bit in the first season. But instead they divided it into a various different subplots.

If you're seeing things then I'm seeing them too! I didn't take any shots from this week's episode but here's a questionable shot from last week where her face is all messed up.

(Bonus: Check out Yuu's phone, which is apparently a one-sided holographic display)

Really agreeing on the cast there, I think what really worked with the first season's cast was that they took a page from a lot of sports anime and had a highly diverse cast. Even if they didn't go too deeply into most of them, they were all distinctly different characters. It's strange, there are fewer characters here but they don't like to focus on any one person for an episode.

Plus they're making the show a bit more serious but I think in doing so they forgot a lot of what make the first season's characters work. Like, Yuu's angst for instance would be over in a single episode in the original, Reiji would just yell at him to stop being so dumb, to quit making a big deal out of losing one time and just focus on winning the next time. Instead it's supposed to be his big character arc and that's just bleh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hah. And here I thought they were just too lazy to draw whatever he was looking at! Neat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zwingley posted:

As an aside, ImpAtom (I am sorry because I'm singling you out, and am about to strawman you a little bit) et al., I think a lot of complaints about criticisms of the show are that everyone knows it's flawed, and probably not as good as the first season thusfar, but are trying their best do enjoy it anyway, and pointing out so many of the little issues it has can make that hard.

Man, if someone merely bringing up stuff like that can ruin someone's enjoyment then they shouldn't seek out discussion in the first place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

It's less bringing it up and more never shutting up about it and then quickly adding "but I like it!" at the end.

Actually, discussing why something works or doesn't work for you is cool and I encourage it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Impatom backs up the things he says instead of just bitching (I wouldn't even call it bitching since he explains why), so I can appreciate that. I enjoy hearing what he has to say and he doesn't drown the thread in it, he responds to people that engage him.

Heck, I think it's a pretty lovely thing to accuse someone of being insincere when they say they like the show despite its flaws!

Man good thing I never said "don't talk about things", huh?

Perhaps, at a certain point, if a show isn't working for someone, they should stop watching that show.

He has said that despite the flaws he still likes some parts of it, though?

I know this is the internet and all but it's possible to hold an opinion that's somewhere between "best thing ever" and" worst thing ever".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck I'm starting to think you're illiterate with how you keep thinking people are saying things they aren't!

Bwuh?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nobody's accusing anyone of being insincere you dipshit, they're saying that going "but I like it!" real quick at the end of a bunch of complaints and then going "b-b-but I said I liked it!" is some dumb poo poo.

So you don't believe he liked it and should have perhaps, gone home instead of posting in this thread?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OH ho ho you sure are clever.

Also, once again, not a thing I said. Please engage with the things I say and not with the things I don't say.

I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say then since I have addressed what you have written, so I'm afraid I cannot engage.

Koopa Kid posted:

This season hasn't been as focused or consistent as S1, but I still prefer it to watching most other shows in that it's inclusive and positive in it's messaging and doesn't involve overwrought arcs about resisting the call, mystery boxes, or whining as character development.

They're really having a hard time with focus. Too many people introduced at once, not enough screen time. Feels like they're pulling a lot of general anime tropes/references out of the bag for this too in a way that's distracting.

I actually had fun with the battle, though calling what Sekai/Yuuma did "working together" is a huge reach. Use of tactics was A+ but I wish each Ez-8 variation had a little more time to show differences.

That latter part is really what's keeping me down, they lean too heavily on fighting generic dudes. Too many generic mooks that get hyped up as a threat is a bad thing when they have zero personality and are immediately forgotten after the battle, but at least we're finally getting a new character introduced next episode so hey, that could be progress there. Hopefully they don't take him too seriously, we could really use another funny character like Gyanko but I'd settle for someone that's less serious than Sakai.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Sakai is pretty great though? He's a grumpy dick but he's also completely right about everything he says.

The joke is that instead of getting angry, the people he bitches at just go "hey you know what, you're right!" and then they fix things and he just silently seethes.

I think my issue with him this episode is that even though he brought up a legit point, one person transporting powerups so the rest of their team can win their 1 on 1 fights just isn't what I picture when I think of teamwork, y'know? Just a poor way of conveying it, I guess.

Though heck, my main problem with him is that he just makes Yuu into one heck of a wet blanket. Yuu's funny when Mirai is around but I am already tired of the rivalry between him and Sakai even though they've had very little screentime together!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

I do hope you bring this attitude to the G-Reco thread tomorrow when people point out why things don't work.

That reminds me after someone pulled out the Tomino quote about racism you never responded there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Okay that was pretty sweet too.

Definitely the best part of the episode to me, I'm glad they've been consistently keeping her around and hopefully she doesn't get punked by another team just to build them up as a threat.

• Locked thread