Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This but the kid is dead.

Yeah, this is the BF Shinn expy. Mamoru is stiff as a board and six feet down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

See, at this point I want to find a kit with a giant AWACS dish to slap onto a Gouf R35 with powered arms, paint it yellow, and call it a Powered Gouf Cardigan. With custom Plavsky Jamming Dispenser. :v: I swear to god this is the most effective toy commercial ever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Srice posted:

After watching the new episode, dang the show is really suffering from dull rivals at the moment. Gyanko's funny! Everyone else is just kinda stonefaced and way too serious about the whole thing. If we didn't meet Sakai in the previous episode I'd have no way of telling them all apart.

Also beating a team of faceless mooks is the sort of thing that would be the opening act for a season 1 episode, not the big fight for the episode. Boo.

(Heck, I really get the impression that I'd be enjoying this more if season 1 didn't exist because in a lot of aspects it's really falling short, to me)

To be fair, Gyanko and Sakai are the only rivals at the moment. Everyone else just exists undefined because all we've seen are quips and vignettes. Gyanko and Sakai both got to have fights with Sekai and Fumina, and had episodes where these were important.

I do think that this should have been a split episode though, just so we could watch the three of them take their sweet time wrecking their first round mook opponents. It was rushed as hell, but the problem wasn't them being mooks at all. Team Labcoat is the real first battle.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Upcoming episode titles and who is doing what from /m/.

For those wondering what "motokumi" means, apparently it's a Japanese term for snapbuilders. The translation of the term comes out...a little derogatory, unfortunately.

Budget Build Destiny guy just doesn't seem like "the one" for this. I can't put my finger on why, but my gut just says no. But it's probably not-Shinn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Honestly Sekai's whole back story basically being one big G Gundam reference is all the Gundam love the show needs to keep me entertained.

I'm on board at least until we meet Sekai's master, Not-Domon. Not that I'm in any danger of quitting, I'm enjoying both this and G-reco.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

What I'd like to see happen is that in the upcoming episode Sekai gets the BB Gundam damaged by charging ahead or acting reckless. They still pull off a win, but with a damaged machine that Sekai can't really fix.

Then the episode after featuring Simon and snapbuild-Destiny also involves Sekai and the audience learning more about the building aspects of the hobby.

I'm pretty sure this is drat near guaranteed, at least before the World Tournament starts. The question is how do they solve it: Make Sekai learn how to build, or have Yuuma become the team mechanic? I kinda feel like there's a corner paint going on, because Sekai has a super prototype that literally one person in the world could ever hope to match, and Sei Iori is traveling the world doing world traveler things. Ok, Mao could probably do a good job.

What I'm saying is I have no idea how they could repair the BBG in a way that doesn't shatter suspension of disbelief, or not involve bringing Mao or Sei back. Except for Chief Mechanic Yuuma. And that, at this point, would be pretty jarring.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I had no problems with the suicide ringouts as a direct callback to that Destiny episode where the Orb suits kamikazed the Minerva. Literally that entire team was one long Destiny callback. They were called FAITH for Christ's sake.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

It took me a second to realize that "Broadcast Pause" was not an episode title.

What I would love to see in Build Fighters is if they get really obscure. Like, say, a rival martial artist from a place that doesn't have a lot of Gundam stuff, and most of it is bootleg, so she gets confused about the models and uses a Guncannon instead.

I thought I was the only person who played that game. :unsmith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Turns out Miss Sazabi had funnels too!

It does?! Are the pods recessed or something? I didn't see anything that looked like it could store funnels when I was giving the promo shots of the model a look.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So, this is a thing that happened.

This begs the question of how you can crowbar a Garma's Funeral reference into Build Fighters.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:swoon:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

What if she eats gunpla?

Maybe she doesn't, but maybe her gunpla does. Dahmer Gundam.

The sooner Yuuma becomes Young Ral and turns the Lightning into a souped up Gouf variant the better.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KoB posted:

I think we can all agree that the best part of the episode was Meijin yelling "GO!" when he drove off.

As usual. Have fun and rage on!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. If anything, this season's been only 1/6th the passion of BF's love of gunpla :sigh:.

The Amazing Red Warrior was not built in a day, and the Meijin has only been spreading passion for a short time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zedd posted:

For this to be a true shonen anime we still lack a fighter/gunpla that pulls the whole disabling power limiters thing.
(Weighted clothes/EVA-like limiters. I don't count stuff like transam/embody/Exam.)

So the Unicorn Gundam? Not only is the NT-D a psycommu, but it also removes the safety limiters on its performance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

If you're looking for actual Gundams as examples, I don't know how you missed God Gundam.

Probably Build Burning being basically the same thing, but I'll be surprised if Sekai's master doesn't use the God Gundam.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The SWGs riffle has an oversized blade running through the entirety of it with a swivel to make it pop out. I'm assuming that detaches and hooks up with her hand so she has a melee weapon. The melee bits are actually parts of the armor itself and not the backpack, so she can keep using them in real mode. Both Shia's and real mode SWG look like stabby melee speed demons.

I still dont get Lightnings new backpack, its supposed to make him faster and more agile while being bigger and probably heavier? Maybe in 0 gravity fights.

Yuuma has probably never played Kerbal Space Program, so he doesn't know proper thrust to weight ratios.

Neither do the mecha designers, either, I suspect.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What if...we put GN Drives....on Funnels?

If only G Bits hadn't been used last season...

Exia Bits. I am all the Gundams.

edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

In this case it actually might have been an executive decision; so far Bandai's been doing their best to either make new molds or recycle fairly modern kits, and that leaves them with 00 S2, AGE, and Unicorn. AGE is obviously off the table and Unicorn isn't going to work for a weekly TV series so...

EDIT: Also if I'm remembering right, most of the team worked on 00 so there might actually be some bias here. :v:

You say this, but...

"[s posted:

karlor[/s] Mr. Ral" post="440229787"]
GunPla alone possesses a god the power to transcend the now, the inner god called "possibility"

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 15, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was Red Warrior's Destiny. :getin:

Rage on Autobots! :kamina:

Caros posted:

Just ribbing you. I like parts of destiny, so I am no one to judge.

I will throw myself on my own sword defending Athrun as the most sane and rational of the protagonists in Destiny. We all have our dumb windmills to fight. It's part of being a Gundam fan.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"Lets get things started! Plavsky particles disbursed! Ready? Go!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Caros posted:

Not much left other than hamburger.

It's a Kyrios not a Zaku. :mad:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

The intro to this episode is so good that it is making me retroactively like the opening.

For a second, I thought the Saikyo Kido Tryon 3 splash was the opening. I got really loving hype.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Meijin took on Saga because he was being an unsportsmanlike shitlord who was making a point of pummeling people who were way weaker than him. Meijin was telling Saga "don't be a jerk to people weaker than you, remember you're weaker than someone". The stuff with Wilfrid is a little harder to swallow because he's doing exactly the same thing as Saga was doing, if only by proxy. Honestly I think the Shia vs Karima thing wouldn't be so hypocritical if it was phrased as "You can only use 1 mobile armor so we'll only use one mobile suit". It still would have the undercurrent of "We're better than you", but it wouldn't have the same tone of flagrant dismissal that Try has been railing against.

Bonus points if Ral throws in some goonery about the heroes of Gundam facing Mobile Armors alone, in a true test of pilot versus machinery. But that'd have probably undercut Shia's super special build skills. It's more a BF thing than BFT as well. BF is for Gundam dorks. BFT is... for... uh...

Hm.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Well, if they actually put a lot of work into building the Mobile Armor, it would be like having the power of the Build Burning or the Shia's Dancing Gundam on a much larger scale. That would probably be pretty drat powerful. The problem is that the people who use Mobile Armors seem to be trying to compensate for their lack of ability to make better smaller craft. Also Karima made his out of CGI instead of plastic, which probably had bad effects on its performance.

A good example of this concept was the Build Fighters beach episode, where Mao and Sei/Reiji faced the loan shark guy in the Apsalus III. That was a worlds-class Mobile Armor, and it very nearly pushed both of their shits in. Without Mao having already known about Plavsky bullshit, and having a no-Moon satellite cannon gimmick, they'd have lost.

Karima's Metal Vagan Gear would have been rolled hard by that Apsalus.

* It is worth noting that Shia is the only person so far who seems to be able to build suits that manipulate Plavsky particles at the Nationals level. The BBG does, but it was built by Sei, who is a Worlds level builder. Running through space, skating on beams, etc is all Plavsky bullshit. Fumina has a suit with lots of gimmicks, but nothing on the level of Plavsky fuckery. And Yuuma is just really overtuned. (Did he actually -do- anything to the BBG-T? I'm still not clear that he did anything more than add transparent parts.) Saga's The End is a pretty clear example of a brute force suit. Wilfrid might have some Plavsky fuckery, but I can't tell.

The only other group that might have been doing weird Plavsky poo poo was the Ez8-SR team. But like Wilfrid, how much of that is just them gluing Radomes onto Ez8s and saying they're jamming pods... I'm leaning toward that explanation.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Gundam Build Fighters Try - Meijinger Z vs TryOn 3, :GUNPLA IS FREEDOM!

Rolls off the tongue and riffs on Ponies.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The lower legs are entirely new from the knees until you reach the ankles. There's probably a fraction of a size change in there.

wanna build that burning

It loses some relatively serious height in the calf section, and it's chest looks a bit compressed too. Tasteful clear parts are good and fun though. No reason to think it doesn't have the same hyperposability the BB had right?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I like to imagine Full Frontal suddenly realized he was in a bad show and decided to leave.

He got a better offer from the Side 3 NFL team, the Zum City Zakus. Dude looks stacked like a linebacker.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

AGE is basically the perfect example of why trying to tell a unique story is not necessarily a good thing.

So is trying to rehash a story. It all comes down to the execution, where AGE is a long, wet fart.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Needs love.

Also, while we are spitballing here: I dont think the Meijin really likes gunpla or battling. He just needs an excuse to wear those ridiculous glasses.

You don't get that campy without loving the thing you're camping for. How else can you get to three six nine times the passion? His glasses are powerful, but not that powerful.

My question is how do Lady's pants give her any passion at all? They're like, half pants. Can you imagine going into a fight with half a Gundam? I can't.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You know what happened?

He lost.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

The armor comes off!

dude took some artistic liberties with the sculpt

:staredog: I'll never understand.

In a similar vein, I wonder why they don't make the Designated Rival team have a bit more of a scrappy time. Is there value in them being on some untouchable pedestal? Having Lucas mostly trash the Academy before losing and them having to rebuild things before the final match would have some psychological effects, wouldn't it? You're laser focused on these guys, and they nearly got iced. Maybe that's a bad Final 4 plan, but in the Ro8 or 16, that would be an awesome way to declare that this is a completely different league.

It'd also add a sense of shared struggle. Both sides have something to prove, and struggled to get to the top, so there's that much more pathos to hinge the final battle on as the culmination of their blood, sweat, and tears, and not just a desire for gud fites.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

I think the world open tournament is still solo as far as we know, so Fumina and Yuuma can enter individually and get the character development and fights they deserve. Sekai can die on the way to his home planet.

Alternately, Fumina is the new Lady Meijin, hopefully with better pants and no clown shoes, and spreads the joy of gunpla across the land.

While I did make fun of Lady's pants, they're honestly pretty rad for only being half of a pair. :japan: as gently caress.

Clownshoes still gotta go though.

Looks like Gyanko just realized Shia stole the Dragonballs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My God. BFT is over. This was the peak. Nothing they can do will top the sheer magic of Tryon 3 FULL HAM. It was so good it made motherfucking Yuuma look good. Him devouring panels and embracing the burning passion was the "show don't tell" he needed. That was exhausting to watch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

In non-Tryon 3-related moments in this episode... one nice touch I liked at the beginning of the episode was Lucas picking up his Full Cloth after the conclusion of his battle. Beaten, a little scuffed and worn, but still pretty much completely intact. On damage level A. I think that more than anything else so far really helps to sell how skilled Lucas is; he still lost to Gunpla Academy, but only after he ran the three of them ragged, and he still walked away with a recognizable model instead of a pile of scrap plastic strewn across the plavsky particle generator.

That scene was all around good, with strong sportsmanship and a general :3 feel as they basically practice Meijinism of "Gunpla is cool, lets play more Gunpla." Lucas, up to that point, had given me the impression of someone coldly ruthless and committed more to the win than the game. I didn't expect him to stick his neck out for his support that explicitly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Well I mean Lucas at least crippled the Portent (because I guess shoulder wounds are really fatal) and almost sliced The End in half.

Yeah, dunno where people get that it was totally one sided when Lucas did the MOBA equivalent of putting three people down to a sliver of health in a 3v1. His only crime was not sealing the deal.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Then he realizes they have no personality and just recruits the Meijin and Sakai instead.

Season three is a reboot there Takeshi recruits Fumina because he has two hopeless agents who need a good leader. One of them is an talented builder who follows the protocol and always gets his man, and the other is a bold, all-in fights mans type who doesn't play by the rules.

Together, they fight crime.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lessail posted:

drat son they worked all their magic on yuuma so none was left over for sekai

No amount of magic could have fixed that.

Echoing the popular opinion: 2v2 was great, "It sounds sad, but this is war," was great, Yuuma and Fumina were great altogether. Sekai was hot garbage. If I didn't know better, I could have thought the opening was the start of a new series.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Comparing this to the end of season 1 is just painful. We had an absolutely badass fight in season 1, and then this very meh fight for season 2. The 2v2 was OK, although the winning starting back up because a tear fell on the controls to allow her to force a draw in the 2v2 fight was kind of dumb. I can't get over what the fights with Sekai could have been like, having an actual martial artist using a mobile suit built for that to actually use martial arts, not bullshit-named-attack-after-bullshit-named-attack which is what Sekai's fighting style is.

The Winning should have straight up gone God Gundam Hyper Mode and trashed the G-Portent. You don't half-rear end the power of emotion.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

From the Gunpla thread:

This is glorious.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Build Fighters Try-2

Sekai: "After watching Gundam between series holy poo poo is my machine over powered! So I built this martial arts Dom I'll be using in the World Tournament instead"

He went back to the club room and gathered up the pieces of the Dom the BBG was originally hidden in, and uses it as weighted training clothes. Since the 3v3 format is pretty obscure outside Japan, on the world stage, he just looks like a chum with a bog standard Dom. Until he purges the frame to fight at full power. :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Are there any robots from the franchise that are like dedicated artillery/fire support?

The zzsa is pretty close I guess and the Xamel has a big gun, but I would to know what the gundam equivalent of a katyusha truck is.

No word for the BuCUE? Dog-Zakus with literal MLRS pods on their backs?

• Locked thread