Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I think we just caught Hal_2005 and a crony trying to get into LPC HQ today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I think we just caught Hal_2005 and a crony trying to get into LPC HQ today.

What makes you think it was him? Also you can't just dangle a story like this in front the the thread. Do you want us to beg? I'll beg. Please share this potentially hilarious tory story. Please.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, it's probably better than another severed hand, right?

Kly posted:

this isnt how railways work
Maybe things are better now, but during peak hours the NE line along 36th was hell for traffic when I lived in Calgary. At-grade crossings for major roads blocked for 45 seconds every five minutes. My first job was two blocks away from the 36th St/32nd Ave intersection, and I lived on the other side - between traffic and trains it could take 10 minutes to travel those two blocks. Unless there was an accident, which happened often enough, because people are idiots and will try to beat the train and will fail in doing so.

Seriously, pretty much the entire NE line along 36th should be trenched or something, if only to prevent morons playing chicken with the train.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Or the Arbutus corridor in Vancouver which remained dormant for 10 years and the locals decided to plant gardens on what was still CP property.

:qq:

Bring on those trains!

Arbutus line a very different situation. CP is trying to force the city to change the zoning so CP can sell the land to condo developers at a high price, whereas the city wants to preserve the land as a transportation corridor.

The land is useless for commercial rail activities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also depending on what the train is doing the crossing can be blocked for a loooong time. I'm not sure the exact regulations, but for a lot of grade crossings there's no actual rule the railways have to follow to minimize the time its blocked. So a train can just sit there for an hour if it wants/needs to.

Freight rail should not have level crossings anywhere in an urban area or remotely near where any switching is going on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

What makes you think it was him? Also you can't just dangle a story like this in front the the thread. Do you want us to beg? I'll beg. Please share this potentially hilarious tory story. Please.

Patience. When I am not in the office ibwill share.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lonelywurm posted:

At-grade crossings for major roads blocked for 45 seconds every five minutes.

This isn't done maliciously by the railroad though because they were hosed with and are "gently caress[ing] back. And hard." like he was implying.

Baronjutter posted:

...there's no actual rule the railways have to follow to minimize the time its blocked. So a train can just sit there for an hour if it wants/needs to.

There are rules for this, not good ones but there are rules. They can't occupy a crossing for more than 8? minutes (i think, its been a while) before they have to either pull off the crossing or cut the train at the crossing to allow traffic through. If an emergency vehicle is at a crossing while the train is occupying it they have to clear it ASAP.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Kly posted:

This isn't done maliciously by the railroad though because they were hosed with and are "gently caress[ing] back. And hard." like he was implying.
Oh, no, I misread. I thought he was just referring to the new LRT line, where at-grade crossings absolutely are a loving hassle and should be avoided at all reasonable cost - not because Calgary Transit wants to gently caress with people, but just because they need to run high volume at peak hours and it will destroy traffic if it's at-grade at a key intersection.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kly posted:

There are rules for this, not good ones but there are rules. They can't occupy a crossing for more than 8? minutes (i think, its been a while) before they have to either pull off the crossing or cut the train at the crossing to allow traffic through. If an emergency vehicle is at a crossing while the train is occupying it they have to clear it ASAP.

Isn't that only on "major" streets though? Or maybe it's different in Canada/US. I know some american friends who live sort of near a rail-yard so there's a minor street that can get blocked for up to an hour when they're doing switching ops there. It's not a huge deal since there's another crossing really close by, but to get to that other crossing you have to back-track a ways and it's a pain so it's always a guessing game if that route will be clear or not.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Baronjutter posted:

Also depending on what the train is doing the crossing can be blocked for a loooong time. I'm not sure the exact regulations, but for a lot of grade crossings there's no actual rule the railways have to follow to minimize the time its blocked. So a train can just sit there for an hour if it wants/needs to.

Freight rail should not have level crossings anywhere in an urban area or remotely near where any switching is going on.

Remember, most rail lines pre-date cities.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

bunnyofdoom posted:

Are you still convinced that Hal is a Tory plant and not a 20 something person trying to sound important on the internet?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't that only on "major" streets though?

Again its been a long time since I actually read the rule, but from what I remember it applies to every crossing on every road. The thing is that 8minutes only starts when a vehicle is actually being blocked, so on a minor road with an alternate route most people are going to turn their car around after theyve seen the train go forward, stop, and go backward five or six times in 4 minutes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Are you still convinced that Hal is a Tory plant and not a 20 something person trying to sound important on the internet?

At this point, I agree with you, hence why I think he dropped by with a crony.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

David Corbett posted:

You can tell it's an election year, because the federal government just showed up with a cheque for $1.53 billion dollars for the LRT Green Line from Centre-North to SE Calgary. The hope is that it will serve 40,000,000 riders a year or about 110,000 a day (presumably more on weekdays). If that's true, it'll take Calgary Transit LRT ridership to about 450,000 a day.

This'll cement Calgary's position as having the #1 light rail system in North America, which is pretty cool I think. :toot:

Great news for Calgary!

From the CBC Article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/green-line-transitway-in-calgary-gets-1-53b-pledge-from-ottawa-1.3166511

quote:

The overall cost of the mega-project has been pegged at about $4.5 billion.

In 2013, council voted to use $52 million in yearly tax surpluses from 2015 to 2024 to fund the Green Line project.

Coun. Shane Keating says if that policy were stretched out to 20 years, the city would be able to pay for about one third of its cost.

So they're going the 1/3 each government route that seems to be the norm for all of these urban infrastructure projects. Doesn't make much sense to me, as municipalities have the least ability to pay by a wide margin.

So long as Gregor's NDP past doesn't prove too much of a political hurdle, Vancouver should be able to easily fund their Broadway line through Federal help alongside property taxes and development fees. Some of the ridings the Conservatives could win are along the Broadway corridor so a pre-election funding announcement would make sense...

Metro Vancouver's transit plan that was rejected in the referendum would have extended rail into low density areas of Surrey and Langley with low transit use. I deeply doubt Surrey and Langley have the ability to use development costs to fund transit as effectively as Vancouver can. It will be very hard for those cities to pay for mega projects. As a result of the referendum failing I'm fairly skeptical that Surrey and Langley will get rail any time soon.

These infrastructure projects can only work so well without the significant increase in bus service in order to get people to the stations. That means increased operating costs that aren't accounted for in election friendly piles of cash. This was one of the major benefits of the tax increase in the Vancouver transit referendum in that it'd provide a steady and dependable cash flow.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So.....we're been hearing more stuff that the writ drop will be the 6th. Ministerial staff have been told to pack it up on the 3rd.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think it's more likely Hal is a prototype CSIS online disruptor script, with occasional human programmer intervention and tuning when the Google Search fruit salad goes too far off the rails.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So.....we're been hearing more stuff that the writ drop will be the 6th. Ministerial staff have been told to pack it up on the 3rd.

A Thursday writ drop?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Kly posted:

this isnt how railways work

Oh, I guess the 23 minute wait at the train crossing near the Whitemud and 99th St. in Edmonton I had that made me late for work this morning didn't happen if that's not how railways work.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Oh, I guess the 23 minute wait at the train crossing near the Whitemud and 99th St. in Edmonton I had that made me late for work this morning didn't happen if that's not how railways work.

Man, gently caress that train. That line runs right through the middle of the city and should have been shut down or dedicated to passenger trains (lol) decades ago.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:toot:

e:

"the moratorium will force provinces to propose solutions or conclude that abolition is the only answer"
:swoon:

Pinterest Mom has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Jul 24, 2015

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

This is perfect for my weird OP, please make more.
Prince Mulcair, Lord of Outremont, and Pretender to the Throne:

I know he's not in armour, but I couldn't resist that pose for Angry Tom.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

That was fast- I came here to post about those tweets. Also, what time zone are you in that they read as 8:15PM?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I like watching the train go across 11th St SW. I'm a wierdo like that.

Also, I'm never in a rush down that way. :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Dark One posted:

That was fast- I came here to post about that tweet. Also, what time zone are you in?

I use tweetcap.ca to convert tweets to imgur images, it uses GMT+0 for its timestamps.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Square Peg posted:

Man, gently caress that train. That line runs right through the middle of the city and should have been shut down or dedicated to passenger trains (lol) decades ago.

Yeah, it's total bullshit. At the very least, they should not be allowed to do switching operations or whatever it is they do where they take up the only three crossings within 15 blocks for 8-20 minutes during rush hour traffic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lonelywurm posted:

Don't stop. Please don't stop.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mederlock posted:

Again that wasnt being done maliciously which is what pt6 was saying they do. The railways just natural gently caress people, they dont have to try.

Ive worked that exact job that was holding you up, its switching out the intermodal yard and if there was literally nothing moving for 23 minutes that crew got demarits or fired. Ive had to go out to the crossing on that job before and lift the gates to let traffic through because we had it blocked too long and were too big to clear the bond, had to do it two times before we were short enough to clear.

Ill stop the train chat cause thats not what this thread is for but i promise the railways and the rail crews are not TRYING to gently caress anyone by having trains on crossings.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know they aren't doing it maliciously at all; when that yard was first built there was practically nothing around it. It's just profoundly annoying

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lonelywurm posted:

:perfect: please don't stop these are amazing and perfect for my big fat dumb stupid OP.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kly posted:

Again that wasnt being done maliciously which is what pt6 was saying they do. The railways just natural gently caress people, they dont have to try.

Ive worked that exact job that was holding you up, its switching out the intermodal yard and if there was literally nothing moving for 23 minutes that crew got demarits or fired. Ive had to go out to the crossing on that job before and lift the gates to let traffic through because we had it blocked too long and were too big to clear the bond, had to do it two times before we were short enough to clear.

Ill stop the train chat cause thats not what this thread is for but i promise the railways and the rail crews are not TRYING to gently caress anyone by having trains on crossings.

I like Canadian train chat :(

To keep it more political, maybe you could tell us more about railway regulations and how railways, the government, and local authorities interact/work together (or don't) ?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
How noble of Harper to call a moratorium on new senate appointments only after he's had ten years to stack it with his cronies.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How bad is Harper polling in Calgary to drop 1.5B into the riding?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

David Corbett posted:

How noble of Harper to call a moratorium on new senate appointments only after he's had ten years to stack it with his cronies.

He actually promised in 2006 to only appoint elected senators. This lasted...oh, about a day (Fortier), but then he didn't appoint anyone until the Christmas Coalition Crisis in 2008 when he was in danger of losing power (as a bonus, that appointment class got us Duffy, Wallin, AND Patrick Brazeau). He also hasn't appointed anyone since 2013 and is presently being sued under the reasonable constitutional theory that saying the executive shall do something means that they have to do it.

Long story short, he's only announcing something he's a) announced and broken before, and b) been doing without fanfare for the past two years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

I like watching the train go across 11th St SW. I'm a wierdo like that.

Also, I'm never in a rush down that way. :v:

That's my least favourite, because it's directly between my apartment and the grocery store. It's easy walking distance, but I always drive now because I want to be able to easily use 8th or 14th to get back under the tracks if the train is crossing.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

jm20 posted:

How bad is Harper polling in Calgary to drop 1.5B into the riding?

Riding? We have eight, and this train will go through at least half of them. (Hard not to, it's huge.) We've got ten for the next election, which still leaves us a bit underrepresented (~120k ppl per riding vs upcoming national average of ~105k) but it's an improvement.

E: wow I missed the point hard - yeah hopefully calgarians will realize the manifold benefits of actually voting for more than one party, among them being that the federal government actually occasionally feels tempted to do its job

David Corbett has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Jul 24, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

lonelywurm posted:

The Layton in the back is the perfect touch. Please keep it up. :golfclap:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

The Layton in the back is the perfect touch. Please keep it up. :golfclap:
What other banner could decorate the ancestral home of the House of Orange, Layton Hall?

Rumour has it that there's a room, deep in the warren-like bowels of the Hall, that holds the death mask of the mythical Lord Douglas.

(thanks, guys; I'm working on others)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pinterest Mom posted:

:toot:

e:

"the moratorium will force provinces to propose solutions or conclude that abolition is the only answer"
:swoon:

Is it wrong I want one of the provinces to sue because they aren't being represented in Parliament because of the moratorium.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Shouldn't you be studying how to not blow up a nuclear reactor, BattleMaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Wouldn't an early writ drop hurt the CPC? The logic should go that they were the ones who introduced the fix election date legislation, yet they proceed to ignore it. Would that be an issue the opposition could flank, or would it be too petty to have resonance outside of politics?

(I remember it kind of mattering in the Alberta election.)

• Locked thread