Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wow, maybe there was a coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oldsmobile posted:

This is also an excellent, quite a candid documentary worth watching. The guy is I guess, upper middle class by North Korean standards. Still he seems to have had it rough during the famine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY0Wlk1BtXA

E: Maybe he hurt his leg really bad and had to leave the country to get it fixed? Like China maybe. Certainly plausible.

I just finished watching this and i feel torn. I think he is traitors piece of poo poo who ran from the army because he couldn't take it and he gets fat while the rest of the populous starves,But i can see why he did it, he had a lovely life. It sad that his kids now buy into all the bullshit.

Edit: he also comes off as a pervy weirdo and i kinda believe Jenkins stories about the abuse. Joe comes off at a useful idiot by the end of it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 10, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Somebody is paying them, I believe.

Because he is a deluded useful idiot. Many of them are angry wannabe leftists who think because the US said NK is lovely and bad, it must mean it is a beautiful utopia of anti-westernism or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I wouldn't doubt it. There are a few countries still using the T-34 today, along with one or two that use the M4 Sherman as well.

drat, i wonder what would happen to it if it got hit by a modern tank shell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LGD posted:

Well North Korea just announced they tested a thermonuclear device, so I expect we're in for another round of the usual nonsense (but moreso).

that sound bad. I doubt its some fully functional classical thermonuclear bomb. But thats still kinda scary that the may have gotten a hydrogen devise/bomb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zimboe posted:

That in the long run, we're probably hosed.

Weapons get used. ALWAYS. Sooner or later.
And your gold earrings were forged in the heart of an exploding star like Thor's hammer.

pretty much. some terrorists or maybe even an actual country is going to fire a nuke off into a city. i could totally see North Korea blowing up Seoul with a nuke if they could get the delivery system right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

-Troika- posted:

More likely some crazy idiot will sell a nuclear weapon to Hamas or Hezbollah or something and it'll get set off in Israel. And then the entire rest of the Middle East gets melted into slag by a vengeful Israel.

true, but the middle east is probably going to melt itself into slag with all the sectarian bullshit.

fishmech posted:

The good news for us is they're incapable of that until they stop being broke as hell. And if they stop being broke as hell they probably won't give that up to commit suicide by attempting to nuke Seoul.

maybe, but i could also see one day them just bombing Seoul to poo poo with artillary then trying to zerg rush it with their rickets army. they might just bury nukes then and try to use them as traps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zimboe posted:

Yah. My worry exactly.

If a nuke producer sells a bomb to some proxy in secret there is now plausible deniability which will delay any counter strike- as the injured party tries to figure out who to hit.

But in the case of Israel they may just choose to pull down the whole temple and glass everybody nearby- the so-called Sampson Option- as a sort of payback for the Holocaust.

I can see Bibi instantiating the launch now. one hand turning the key to launch, the other tugging on his tiny penis. But honestly i think it depends what terrorist group gets it. ISIS would probaly try to detonate one in europe or a capital city in the middle east.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zimboe posted:

Because NK is run by a nutcase. With nukes. Nutcase + nukes = a Bad Thing.

Re Tom Clancy: You better hope life doesn't imitate art in this case.

sorta. its "run" by a dumb kid with something to prove and everything to loose. Pyongyang is a nest of vipers and he has to either kill them or assuage them. all it takes is one mistep and someone ends up dead via flack cannon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

seems kim has a cunning plan.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-northkorea-nuclear-usa-idUKKCN0UT20K

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

1. I partially ask out of concern; I mostly ask out of seeking a group-based inquiry.
2. Most of the concern part stems from thinking about what they may know that we don't.
3. That infernally short game Homefront has never entirely left my mind.

they are making a new one which basically far cry open world in philly. apparently its a remake or something. ill buy it because i did dumb alt future/history stuff. also there is a realy great article out there about the behind the scenes of that game and how screwed it was from the start.

Badger of Basra posted:

They don't have the heavy lift capacity to invade the west coast of North Korea.

the worst NK can do is invade/bomb Seoul. that or have some Sucide/samson option like the Israelis do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

They don't know poo poo and they are never, ever going to just start a nuclear war over nothing with the current power structure in place. Feel free to never bother asking uless KJU is deposed.

pretty much. nothing will happen unless something does, which i doubt.

Switzerland posted:

NK's greatest weapon are Dear Leader's tanks and bazookas, replete with fake, History-Channel-esque post-production sound effects added!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM0qEHNih4

poo poo. all of those trucks looks like they are from the 60s. that bridge building team is just depressing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

an nothing will happen. also cruz is talking about how they will do an EMP.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

No it's just the godamn EMP satellite from Homefront stubbornly looping in my head.

same, that or MW2. cruz is a dip. plus it would be the west coast that got hit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have set up the Norks in the first place. Sleeping in the bed they made and all that.

plus isnt china sick of their poo poo anyway. I mean not enough to depose them, but enough look the other direction when poo poo goes bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/asia/north-korea-army-chief-ri-yong-gil-executed/index.html

sounds like a coup was crushed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Are these purges just the result of Stalinist paranoia or are there really people openly not 'on his side'? Which seems like a really bad idea.

probaly both. I assume he is either paranoid as poo poo or he is just joffery now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I can believe that. all my chinese friends dislike north korea, they see it as backwards shithole.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sincx posted:

Looks like China finally got pissed enough at Kim the Third and/or is sufficiently bothered by THAAD.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-nuclear-usa-idUSKCN0VY0ET
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35664794

The new sanctions, among other things, bans shipment of all aviation and rocket fuel, and also bans Air Koryo from flying internationally.

interesting. it seems china is finaly tired of NK's bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Stupid question. but how has a plague/virus/whatever not almost destroyed north korea yet. I doubt they have good healthcare despite what their appologistes attest. I know famine related syndroms and diseies are rampant. I am just surprised their hasn't been a cholera epidemic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, South Korea is like the US in that its got a president, who is still in office, even though her party is now the minority in the Korean parliament. There's actually multiple left-ish parties so the fact that they are only behind by one seat (yeah it was a real close one) is actually far worse than it sounds. This basically means that she will have trouble getting her economic agenda passed. If all you care about is NK/SK relations not much will change immediately buy it has big effects on economic and social policy and all. And of course maybe she'll work out some sort of corrupt bargain or whatever, I don't really follow Korean politics well enough to say.

This is also very unexpected, most people thought that the Saenuri party would loose seats, and maybe even lose their majority, but actually coming in second was not what people expected to occur.

Isn't south Korea weirdly socially conservative? I remember reading they have a bunch of morality laws and stuff.

Majorian posted:

I expect they have an "understanding" with many of Kim's generals already. It's definitely strong language from China, but the target audience is almost certainly its partners in the Six Party Talks, meant to reassure their governments that Beijing's not loving around. I'll admit, I'm pleased to hear them say it.

I assume south korea/japan/the US have anti-icbm defense? I doubt NK would actually do anything, but still.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Wait, so communists in Western countries still look towards North Korea as something they admire?

yeah, though not as there used to be. mostly dipshits like this clown.
https://maoistrebelnews.com/

forkboy84 posted:

Tankies love the North Koreans. Most of the rest of the left regards them somewhere between an embarrassment & hellish dystopian nightmare land.

this too. also whats a tankie?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so what exactly do you think would happen if north korea launched a couple of nukes at japan or the us, that somehow didn't malfunction. what would happen afterwards? why would north korea do this in the first place?

yes and no. I think Un (if he is fully in charge) would launch missiles if he thought he was backed into a proverbial corner.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Shockingly it turns out fringe groups can be astoundingly stupid.

http://www.workers.org/2016/05/11/solidarity-with-peoples-korea/#.V7fUH61ceUk

what a bunch of loving idiots. now a days i feel embarrassed to be left wing. if its not weird oversentive assholes online who write psudo progressive clickbait for money, its loving dumb tankies jerking off about despotic shitholes because they currently ascribe/at one point ascribed to a left leaning system. if the right wernt a million times worse.

but seriously, how do they think that NK is workers paradise. how. It hasn't even been technically communist for a while now.

Halloween Jack posted:

Not really.

For a long time, North Korea scholarship in the U.S. was split along a right-left divide. In the 50s many criticized the DPRK as an autocracy and a Soviet puppet--not without reason, but of course there were also the people who regard communism as literally Satanic. The left-liberal response to this was to say, hey, Korea has a long history of foreign occupation, the United States has its own legacy of imperialism to own up to, and North Korea has good reason to fear Western imperialism. Whether they toed the Soviet line or departed from it, either could be explained as a more-or-less rational actor playing both sides to protect its independence.

Now that we have access to a great deal more information about the regime than we did in the 1970s, this sympathetic left-liberal view of North Korea doesn't hold up (not that a simplistic right-wing view of the country does either). You can still find sympathies for North Korea among people I'd wouldn't classify as "loony left," but I think that's more often based on ignorance or an outdated viewpoint rather than earnest conviction, e.g. this idiotic political stunt. But what these liberals have in common with fringe tankie parties is that they're mostly old, and formed their views of North Korea in the 60s and 70s when American politics were rife with Red Scare bullshit.
this. it reminds me of what happend with Venezuela. every left wing person supported Chavez and the PSUV after bush hosed up the coupe but now that people have seen that whats going on(also the fact that the sacred leader is in hell currently) international support outside the usual suspects has dried up. everyone is finally seeing it for what it is. a burning,starving failure that is eventually going to topple led by a retarded illiterate bus driver(and his lovely cronies) that is in economic free fall and mass starvation. eventually it will fully implode and maybe become a syria like warzone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

That makes sense. Improving the lives of the privileged class gains him political capital, whereas investing in improving the lives of the average Korean does not.

I recently watched a Victor Cha lecture where he was asked about Kim Jong Un's new ski resort. He pointed out that while this benefits the elite, his last trip to China included visits to several high-tech initiatives. China wants him to tone down military provocations and focus on economic development, and it doesn't seem to have influenced him at all.

yeah, it seems he has distanced himself from china a bit. which is probaly why china has been a lot more open to the US/SK loving him economicaly.

Eifert Posting posted:

In the case of an actual collapse South Koreans I've spoken to are hesitant regarding unification and absolutely delusional regarding Chinese expansionism.

"South Korea can't unify, it would destroy our economy."

"So you're OK with China taking over the territory outright or installing a puppet government?"

"Why would they do that? It's Korea, not China."

:psyduck:

Had that conversation with a couple dozen people, including my very plugged in wife.

Id honestly be ok with that sorta. china isnt a magical paradise but its a 1000 times more caring then NK government. idk. either way its going to hurt the asian economy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, it wouldn't be awful to us but South Koreans would be apoplectic. My own wife shouted me down for pointing it out.

i agree. but either way, which ever country takes NK or lets in the mass of people. their economies will poo poo themselves.

Cliff Racer posted:

Well why on earth would it influence him? He and the current power-holders make enough money to live a life of luxury while having complete control. Yes, going in a China-like direction will enrich the country and ultimately its leaders too, but it would also lead to many of them losing power or losing it relative to a new class of ambitious people from outside the system. It might seem impossible for us to imagine that a North Korean book-keeper could see the status quo as being "okay", let alone "good," but that is exactly what the situation seems to be.

pretty much this. if he went china route, he would have to open up the country and its government(somewhat) and probaly close the concentration camps. sure he and his cadre may get more money, but they would lose power.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

censored Jane Eyre? holy poo poo

whats there to censor in jane eyre?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Why would a bunch of South Koreans die in a war against the starving North Korean military which is primarily equipped with vehicles that were the state of the art in 1985 (at the latest)?

The whole idea of NK being a meaningful threat to SK is overblown, not just the artillery strikes. They used to be, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

The only thing keeping anybody from rolling in and deposing the Kim regime is that nobody wants to be stuck with reconstruction.

they still have a large army even if it is basicaly dudes with rickets with AK 47s and old soviet tanks. I mean yeah it would probably be highway of Death 3.0. I still assume that we would lose alot of people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ardennes posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/09/north-koreas-growing-ambition-nuclear-arsenal-force-us-negotiating-table

According to the Guardian, it seems like it was successful and they may have at this point a compact fission device small enough to fit on a theater-range missile. The yield is still fairly small according to other powers (10-20 kt range) but that is enough to be a threat. There is no way it is was an actual fusion device but it does look like they have been making progress.

It may actually be too late to take out Kim with force at this point.

thats disconcerting. so we just wait for him to get desperate and fire one off at japan or South Korea? its clear sanctions arnt having a great effect for various reasons, but other then invasion or a coup, i dont see many options left.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

The government is melting down like you wouldn't believe. The country has basically been ruled for the past four years by President Park's friend who sunk her claws into her 30 years ago by convincing her that she could channel the spirit of her dead mother. Nancy Reagen, eat your heart out, this poo poo is crazy!

The country is going nuts over this. The media is throwing around accusations that this cult leader was basically running Park’s flagship culture program and in charge of hundreds of millions in spending, and that's the tip of the iceberg. She's apparently had access to all classified documents.

These rumors were always there since the 80s but no one believed. It's like America waking up to find out that Obama really was a secret Muslim all along, or the Labour party discovering that Harold Wilson really was a Soviet spy.

So what happens now? I assume both there asses are grass.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

I heard about this last night from my friend but then he added on international conspiracy stuff like how Choi is a member of a secret group of 8 who are all controlling puppet governments in and around Asia and then George Soros is involved etc :psyduck:

Story is crazy enough as it is from that NYT article.

thats the amusing thing about how conspiracy stuff. I can totally believe the poo poo about Choi being the power behind the throne and having a ton of bullshit pull in government and is using it to her cults advantage. but conspiracy people have to believe everything is grand overarching narrative like its an anime or airport fiction. everyone wants their own pet conspiracy lumped in with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Imagine L Ron Hubbard loving the President. And this is still ...somehow.... worse

Because now, the ferry catastrophe that managed to kill 300 children on L Ron's death-day, might have been a human sacrifice to best korea L Ron.

This is now not impossible

:stonkhat:

jesus gently caress, so is choi still running the cult that elder choi started? my assumption is elder choi used park as an easy way to get money and influence and now his daughter is continuing the legacy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

seems china is sick of there poo poo. can't really blame them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/north-korea-embassy-official-wanted-kim-killing-170222031751132.html

seems they want a embassy official who had something to do with the killing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i remeber hearing were are sending a fleet there and now it seems like even more, sounds like trump is trying to goad NK into attacking it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Any likelihood that the Norks will take the bait? For once, they're not the only irrational actor in this.

thats what worries me. in the old days, we would just ignore them or have china bribe them off. now we have president tiny dick sending the imperial fleet with all the poo poo to sit over there while screaming openly for decapitation of the NK government. if there is any president that shouldn't handle poo poo like this, its him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

when is the fleet going to arrive there?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Teddybear posted:

Those sabers, get them a-rattlin'.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/852648458402115587

To be clear, this refers to their next nuclear test. Which is rumored to be Saturday.

see. this is whats scary because its trump and his people saying it. so i honestly believe we will probably do it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so has stuff "calmed down" or is it still up in the air?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

welp. they have ICBMs and other new missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Edit: http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/korean-crisis-trump-sends-in-three-aircraft-carriers-1-4421659

Citing South Korean Yonhap news agency who are citing a South Korean government source.

poo poo.

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/854007252751089665

https://twitter.com/TreyYingst/stat...genumber%3D5019