Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The tabloids are saying that his illness is due to an addiction to Swiss cheese, of all things, but who knows if that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

backifran posted:

Slightly off topic, but does anyone here want to go on an organised tour to north korea with me next year?

None of my IRL friends want to do it, and I figure nothing can be worse than a bunch of goons on the internet. This is a serious post, so let me know. I probably won't sell you to camp 22 (don't talk about this)

This sounds like a Bad Idea.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I thought Mexico was the only country fatter than the US.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Please make the following a thread rule:

It's the single least interesting, obviously trolling derail imaginable.

What's that supposed to be?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

qkkl posted:

Do North Koreans follow Kim because they fear him, or because they think their way of life is better than South Koreans?

BR Meyers would say it's neither; it's more a matter of nationalism. Sure our standard of living is worse, but we haven't become the lackeys of non-Koreans, so we're better anyway!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nucken Futz posted:

Ha Ha Ha!

What a naive Dupe.

He's not being naive, just telling an ideologically motivated blue lie.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Like, you do realize that even if we did invade North Korea, we'd probably still have to keep the prison camps open, right? They're not filled to the brim with democracy lovers. Even the main political dissidents are in there for plotting to take more power for themselves. They don't care about democracy, except to the extent they'll probably pretend that they do to pull one over on occupying American forces, which is what happens pretty much every time we try to make friends out of our enemy's enemies.

Of all the dumb things in this post, this stands out as especially absurd and repugnant.

Just for starters: East German political prisoners didn't stay imprisoned after German reunification, and as far as I know no problems resulted from their being freed.

More to the point: They could at least free the people who are in there for the "crimes" of family members!

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 23, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

edit: gently caress it I'll just spell it out for you. Communist East Germany voluntarily relinquished power. There was do dramatic build-up about the need to punish Communists for crimes against humanity. They cooperated with the changeover. For such a situation to happen on the Korean peninsula would require such a dramatic reversal of the current situation of political brinkmanship that we might as well be talking about an alternate universe. My post was assuming a situation where current North Korean leadership is removed by force, and probably sets up a successful insurgency against foreign invaders. Not exactly far-fetched, when we factor in that considerably less competent political factions in the Middle East have managed to do the same.

None of that has any bearing on the ideology of the currently imprisoned political dissidents, though.

Some Guy TT posted:

But then again you're assuming my United States/North Korea prison comparison is intended to make the latter look good rather than the former look bad, so I'm guessing you're reading my posts with blinders on.

I'm not reading your post that way because you compared North Korean internment camps to US prisons, I'm reading your post that way because you justified locking up political dissidents (and now you're justifying locking up their families too, apparently).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TsarZiedonis posted:

the article only seems to prove to me that a first strike may be preferable to allowing a handful of otherwise irrelevant wealthy degenerates in a backwater country the ability to kill millions.

Pretty sure a first strike would still result in the death of millions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

And that's before even beginning to engage with him being obsessed with the idea of Asians as a race-obsessed hive mind

I don't think he believes Asians specifically are a race-obsessed hive mind (and a lot of his work punctures those kinds of orientalist assumptions), so much as that ethnic nationalism in general is an ideology with a lot of appeal to the average person in most countries (or at least more appeal to the average person than Marxism - thus the other communist countries either collapsed or became only nominally red, but NK remains stable because it was never actually red to begin with).

Then again, Meyers's views on NK seem to have become somewhat more hawkish recently compared to his past writings.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 31, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

Edit: With Bannon gone I don't know of anyone in his inner circle that is particularly bullish on China or East Asian affairs.

I think you mean "hawkish," not "bullish," unless you mean that no one in Trump's inner circle expects East Asian markets to go up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

Not biotruths, this country’s military would rather sit back and lob bombs and missiles than chase the taliban up into their mountainous bunkers. The Russians may have lost Afghanistan but at least they went through the motions of trying to root out the mujahideen through close combat.

Do Russians not count as white?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

That's actually a fairly intriguing and plausible theory. But how does that jive with Myers' general insistence that Juche is completely seriously believed by the entire North Korean population? If there's people alive today who were around when the North Korean state and they knew there was no Juche around back then, they're not going to suddenly believe Juche was there all long just because the North Korean government says so.

And even if they did it's hard to imagine that many would necessarily care. Your typical American may fully believe that democracy and freedom are great, but most would be at a loss to tell you what exactly those words even mean or how the United States is different from other countries, save for the fact that we have regularly scheduled votes.

I thought Myers specifically claimed that North Koreans don't believe in Juche; they believe in a totally separate set of propaganda.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Willo567 posted:

What makes you think we're all going to die?

I don't think they're going to end up doing the bloody nose strike. Too many people already know about the plans, and we'd be seeing dependents moved out of South Korea if they were serious

The contrast between this post and your avatar is a bit jarring, lol.

I do agree that the bloody nose strike probably won't happen, but "probably" isn't good enough for something like that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've heard there is a surprisingly (to me) pro-DPRK contingent among Japanese Koreans, with pro-DPRK schools and such.

Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongryon

Though their membership and popularity have declined over time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re getting a surprising amount of good media coverage with all this Olympics stuff and the visit

To a rather unnerving degree, actually.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2018-northkorea-sister/head-held-high-kims-sister-returns-to-north-korea-idUSKBN1FW1BC?il=0

Reuters posted:

A prim, young woman with a high forehead and hair half swept back quietly gazes at the throngs of people pushing for a glimpse of her, a faint smile on her lips and eyelids low as four bodyguards jostle around her.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/962702986794405889

(The screencapped tweet seems to have been deleted.)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/asia/kim-sister-olympics/index.html

CNN posted:

Kim Jong Un's sister is stealing the show at the Winter Olympics

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 12, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, it's very both those things, don't get me wrong.

I don't think it's the poorest; the famine was some time ago, and material conditions in many African and some Middle Eastern countries are probably worse. I think it has a legitimate claim to being the weirdest, but that's not exactly something you can quantify.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

Forjar's been predicting the imminent demise of china for almost half a decade now.

What happens when president richard spencer begins the deportations in 2028?

Are you going to toxx for a Spencer presidency?

quote:

American foreign policy in east asia involves buying off the national bourgeoisie in Korea, Japan, and ethnic Chinese in Taiwan with goodies and immigration rights so they can all be lined up like ducks in a row to use against the USSR and PRC.

It's not called the USSR anymore. :ssh:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Two things can both be bad.

Just because two things are both bad doesn't make them equally bad.

Conversely, just because two things aren't equally bad doesn't stop them from both being bad.

I'm not sure why these propositions are still difficult for some people to grasp.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Which poster is that, exactly?

Probably Some Guy TT.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

That's part of what makes all these attacks on Trumps for not sticking it to Kim Jong-eun on human rights so weird. That's never actually been important as far as our own interests are concerned.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1006607433781972993

Though I'll admit the issue is mostly symbolic, and although the symbolism is telling, it's telling us something about Trump we already knew.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

quote:

Fumbling to take a bite of kimchi, I was struggling to get a grip on my slippery metal chopsticks – and, it seemed, on the Korean language.

Hilarious stuff.

Debate & Discussion › Korea Thread: Fumbling to take a bite of kimchi

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 6, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

You think our political system works in a rational way? Most days I'm surprised the whole thing hasn't fallen apart already.

edit: also, the sheer stupidity of our political system isn't special occidental knowledge only Koreans would have trouble understanding. Russians hired specifically to gently caress around with American elections in 2016 didn't even realize what the electoral college was until summertime

Russians aren't occidental either. :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Not if Trump decides to listen to Lindsey Graham, who still believes military action is viable

Lol, avatar/post combo.

Graham is a bad person, but unlike Trump, he's smarter than that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
WaPo story on the embassy attack. Expert consensus seems to be that the CIA was not involved, but it's implied that Kim Jong Nam's son was (or am I just reading between the lines too much there?): https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.c9037686de60

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa/north-korea-rejects-pompeo-from-nuclear-dialogue-kcna-idUSKCN1RU0NU

I wonder what's behind the resumption of tough talk. I'd have thought Kim would want to cruise quieting along since Trump hasn't been paying attention.

I wonder whether Kim doesn't realize that Trump hasn't been paying attention. One of the DPRK's disses of Trump a while back was that he "pretends to be an idiot," which is funny but implies a serious misunderstanding; does Kim realize that Trump actually is an idiot?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Pfft we carpet bombed Europe and those guys love us.

Most be something else.

Doesn't internal NK propaganda actually downplay the carpet bombing (because it makes Kim il-Sung look weak) in favor of made-up, sneakier atrocities?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Fishmech basically just exists to willfully misinterpret posts to mean something entirely different then what was the intent. And no amount of attempting to clarify your meaning will ever get a good faith argument out of fishmech, just put him on your ignore list.

Fishmech just reminded everybody a few posts ago that she's female...

Edit: I just realized that you wouldn't have seen that, because she's presumably on your ignore list. Lol.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

mmkay reading this and what

I can see the logic of it if a statute of limitations is thought of as primarily an evidentiary safeguard, i.e., policymakers might worry about the unreliability of witnesses 15 years after the fact, and worry that finders of fact might not sufficiently understand this unreliability. Obviously when cold cases started being solved with DNA evidence, it became obvious that a statute of limitations on murder was a terrible idea, but I can understand why it might have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

What does containment even mean in this context? North Korea has zero ambitions for expansion.

In theory they want to expand into South Korea, I guess. But I assume Willo means stopping them from shooting missiles at other countries, not stopping them from literally annexing other countries.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

People in Korea loathe China these days, especially due to their attitude to Korea. Its been strained for a drat long time, such as when China started coopting ancient Korean history as their own.

Do you have any articles about this? From the Ancient History thread in A/T I got the impression it was more often the reverse (e.g., Korean nationalists downplaying historical Chinese cultural influence on Korea). China has its own brand of nationalist pseudohistory, of course, but I didn’t realize ancient Korea played much of a role in it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Articles are mostly in Korean so I guess this wiki page will have to do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goguryeo_controversies

Goguryeo has always been a contentious topic overall

Thanks!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Kim Kyong-hui is back: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51257178

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lol, New York Post.

The actual CSIS report at https://beyondparallel.csis.org/sil-li-ballistic-missile-support-facility/ doesn't explicitly draw the "for firing nukes that can hit US" conclusion, although it does make it sound like a plausible possibility.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mystes posted:

Cool, we haven't had dumb rumors about North Korea since (checks notes) two days ago.

There's more where that came from: https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/kim-jong-un-was-once-filmed-talking-to-possible-body-doubles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

exmachina posted:

I don't think so, he gave a will to his daughter and cancelled his schedule before walking into woods and turning off his phone

That makes it sound like a suicide.